Question Japan new years

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Secretcookie, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

Booking a trip to Japan 27th Dec - 12th Jan, will spend a few days in tokyo, then we have found accomodation in Hakuba from the 4th Jan - 12th at hotel la neige higashi-kan.

Between around 30th dec -4th Jan given how late we are booking it looks like a lot of the 'nicer' accomodation is gone.

Any suggestions for somewhere else in the area to look for decent accomodation and good skiing? We want to stay somewhere nice, not to over the top maybe max $600/night, I'm advanced snowboarder into backcountry, misses is nervous intermediate who likes powder. Given it will be over New Years both keen for something with atmosphere- both early 30s.

Any advice would be great

2. hatto

hatto One of Us
    Gold Bruce

@Nozawaman

3. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Gold Bruce

I reckon try Nozawa Onsen or Myoko.

4. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Gold Bruce

Lots of Japanese places have only just opened for bookings so it should not be a problem.

If you are interested in Madarao we have space. PM me.

5. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Gold Bruce

Can't help ... we are actually already booked for 2020 :eek:

6. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again
    Gold Bruce

I'd probably go Hakuba first THEN Myoko, Nozawa or Madarao. Better availability in Hakuba. Unless you've already banged your money down I'd see if that might work.
    In Myoko, Hotel Taiko has availability over NY whilst Address Akakura has availability for later dates. We have room at Red Warehouse (link below) for later dates but I think you're probably looking for a bit higher end than us.
    There's a few places left in Madarao for NY and later dates. Maybe none of the upmarket places though.
    Nozawa seems pretty full up regardless though unless you start talking direct to places like Sakaya and Address Nozawa.

7. TJ

TJ One of Us

8. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Bruce the Mod Gold Bruce

Those are problem dates this winter, because Monday 31st Dec to Thursday 3rd Jan are public holidays on week days. All that is needed is to take off one AL day on Friday 4th, and the Japanese workers get Sat 29th Dec to Sunday 6th Jan off.
    Although 31st, 1st, 2nd & 3rd are normally public holidays, often one or two of those days fall on a Sat/Sun.

Funky likes this.
  9. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

Thanks for the info, ended up splitting the trip and going to niseko as well as hakuba, sorted accomodation and flights etc so all good. Now just praying for dec snow!

10. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

I still don't get the Niseko/Hakuba split on a single trip. Anyway, each to their own.

winter, Froff Life, Hyst and 5 others like this.
  11. M_G

Gold Bruce

If he's looking for 'nicer' accommodation that's the two places he's going to find it more easily. TBH, end decision seems driven by standards rather than convenience and on-hill time.

12. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Gold Bruce

Yeah, completely baffles me. For a 2 week trip I prefer to concentration on one region and not have a long transfer. Hard to believe there wasn't any other 'nicer' places in the Nagano/Niigata region. But if 'nicer' means way more expensive then Niseko would certainly fit that bill.

Ramenman likes this.
  13. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete Addicted

I've done both in a two week trip. The day off traveling was a nice break. Great contrast between the 2 places.

Hermannator likes this.
  14. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Gold Bruce

Time on the slopes is not the driver for everyone's holiday. A shinkansen ride between the 2 would be quite nice. Just had a friend who was caught up in the earthquake aftermath do this as he could not get on a flight. Spent 3 nights with us at Madarao before he could get on a flight home.

15. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

Thanks for feedback, decision to venture to both areas was twofold, mainly so we could see what each had to offer as we are first timers to Japan, and secondly to give us the best chance to score some snow if early season is a bit thin. Commute between the two isn't a big deal as we are flying direct from Sapporo to Matsumoto.

cin and Hyst like this.
  16. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Hope this isn't effected by broken shoulder?

17. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

Good on you for flying into Matsumoto.
    Get a hire car from there
    Would be madness to goto Hakuba at that time of year without one

18. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

Should be right by the time I leave, at least the snow will be softer if I fall!

19. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

Hadn't planned on getting a car, is it hard to get around without one? 4wd required?

20. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

IMO its a no brainer around Hakuba...at any time of the year.
    However . Its also more important at the time of year you're going.
    You'll need to maximise your time on snow. Its going to be crowded if you follow the normal shuttle bus type holiday.
    With a car you can go places other people ain't.

Its a super easy drive from Matsumoto.

21. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete Addicted

Best thing you will do. It will need to be 4WD and have snow tyres. Most likely would mean you have to drop it back to Mats on the way out though. Where are you staying in Hakuba?

22. Mils

Mils One of Us

I will be at Nowaza Onsen from Dec 23-27th. Should be decent enough cover and fun!

23. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us
    Silver Bruce

I have done this a couple of times.

See, the thing is, typically an OS ski trip for me is two weeks because any more and it's too much leave on one holiday and any less it's not worth going (EU, US anyway).

Due to the fact I am flying across the other side of the world to ski, I want to see more than one resort and in doing that, one basically loses a half-to-full day in transferring between resorts anyway. Lets face it, on holidays, on departure day of resort 1, you're going to sleep in, so even if resort 2 is around the corner, half the day has gone anyway...

Hyst likes this.
  24. M_G

Gold Bruce

If that's how you work it. Each to their own.

25. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Gold Bruce

Not the way I roll. I'll do multiple transfers and not lose a day, even just using public transport.

M_G likes this.
  26. Hyst

Hyst One of Us
    Gold Bruce

But you are the hardcore ski man! :clap::)
    Me, I need my onsen - the more the better.:headbang:

27. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Gold Bruce

Still get the onsens as well, except on some travel days.

Hyst likes this.
  28. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

The ultimate test will be the conditions at either location, this is the main driver....time will tell if right decision...if not life goes on! Will let you all know in dec

29. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

So I needed shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago for a snowboarding accident, and doctor told me today should I fall on it on my Japan trip then likely would re-break with permanent damage. I don't fall often, however not sure it is worth the risk. Thoughts on a non-snowboarding trip to japan? Currently we have flights to Niseko and 3 nights accommodation, then down to Hakuba for five nights. We can cancel Hakuba portion, any suggestions where else to go? What about Niseko when not skiing? Any suggestions would be appreciated, or we might just go somewhere else and come back when shoulder is sorted.

30. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete Addicted

If you can cancel the Hakuba portion do that now so the place has some chance or refilling that slot.

31. Joe

Joe Hard Yards

I'd take the opportunity to learn to ski then you wont have to cancel anything.

32. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

Good suggestion

33. Joe

Joe Hard Yards

LOL I wasn't being facetious, I boarded now ski and landed on my arse learning to do both.

34. fennekeg

fennekeg Early Days

Oh, lots and lots to do! Though some might call you mad :p We have 2,5 weeks fully planned for February, and I already have a whole list of things to do a next time. But it's got to be up your alley, in our case there's a lot of trains involved. We will land at Narita and take the shinkansen to Hakodate, then onwards to Kushiro for a steam train ride. On the way back south visit Noboribetsu (hotter-than-hot-springs), Hakodate again, Akita Nairiku Scenic Railway, Kakunodate (samurai district looks lovely in the snow), Ginzan Onsen, Yamadera, Zao Onsen (snowshoe walking), Nozawa Onsen (village and more snowshoe walking), Yudanaka (snow monkeys), Matsumoto and two villages at the Nakasendo trail, and back at Tokyo again. All this with a 3 week Green car rail pass :D

Japan in the snow outside of the ski slope is quite the sight. On the other hand, I also hear the powder in Japan is second to none, so maybe worth learning to ski as @Joe suggested. And of course there's the regular tourist sights, but you can also do these in summer (/not winter). The places listed above get lots of snow in winter, not all of Japan is so lucky.

35. Sandy

Bruce the Mod Gold Bruce

Is there any particular reason why you're getting the Green car pass?
    It's around 22,000yen more for very little extra benefit IMO.

Hyst likes this.
  36. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Gold Bruce

Agree

37. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

2-2 is much better than 3-2 IMO....but yeah, its a hit to pocket.

38. fennekeg

fennekeg Early Days

Mainly because my husband is almost 2m tall so he wants any cm extra leg space he can get. Plus more luggage space and electric sockets, but mainly leg space. We'll have a number of days where we'll be in the train for 5/6/7 hours. In our case the train rides are part of the holiday instead of just a means to get to sights, so we're ok with splashing out a bit on that.

2ESki and Ramenman like this.
  39. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I think 22,000 Yen is only a small amount of money after you paid a lot more for flying and if the extra 22,000 Yen can make the long travel more comfortable, I'm willing to pay as well:).

fennekeg likes this.
  40. Sandy

Bruce the Mod Gold Bruce

You've been on the Shinkanen before? There's a lot of leg room.

skichanger likes this.
  41. fennekeg

fennekeg Early Days

Yes, we have, and they're quite OK. But we'll also be taking limited express trains (e.g. between Hakodate and Kushiro and back again which is quite a stretch. or not if you're not in green ;) ).