1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource Japan Snow Country Realestate 2020 to 2070

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Scoober, Aug 17, 2020.

1. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Must've been a snow clearing base. Would dread to think how much the heating bill is.

Ramenman likes this.
  2. Asama

Asama Addicted

Can't imagine it's really designed to be lived in... the heat loss through those panels would be a crime against the environment.

M_G likes this.
  3. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It's surely for green season (for fishing). If you use in winter, you can only keep the small closed room on the second floor warm enough.

4. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Sure looks like it was designed by a single guy with a lot cars bikes etc, only thing missing is a bar... :)

M_G and art like this.
  5. Ramenman

The space is for watercrafts, not cars. It's surely a fishing base (only 50 - 100 meters away from the port). If I were a retired person, I might buy it as a fishing base (I like fishing, so I posted the propety:p). The link below is the location of the house.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2096956,140.8591822,986a,35y,353.78h/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

#505 Ramenman, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  6. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not listed anymore. Maybe it sold. From the 3 pictures it looks like it could be a very good family house for only 0.5M yen. Decent kitchen space and the living spaces look good too. Knowing how the car access in winter works would of course be important. I would like a garage to store skis and a car. Be nice to not to have to dig the car out in the morning after a good snowfall.

Ramenman likes this.
  7. Ramenman

Scoober likes this.
  8. Ramenman

I think the minimum price of a relatively good condition 2LDK house in Hachimantai is 4 million Yen. This 24 years old 2LDK house is 4 million Yen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The link : https://www.fudousan.or.jp/system/?...[]=03214&n=20&p=1&v=on&s=&bid=06314109&org=ZT

A lot of Chinese speaking people have been uploading videos filmed at Appi Kogen onto Youtube in recent years. Youtube is banned in the mainland of China, so they are people from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. A lot of tourists from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc are repeaters (they have visited Japan many times), so they often directly fly to local airports in Tohoku, not in Narita / Haneda (they've already visited Tokyo many times, so they don't need to visit Tokyo). In recent years, more international flights are coming to local airports.

Hyst likes this.
  9. Goski

It would be cool to be able to park a big boat next to the lounge room. And it would keep it safe from the winter weather. Also it would be a good house for mizu skiers.

#509 Goski, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Ramenman likes this.
  10. Ramenman

This is the port and you can see the 9.8 million Yen house (fishing base) in the video.

This is winter-time fishing video at the port. Used boats here are very cheap, but you need a license. Just like him, fishing at the port is for free or you hire a boat for fishing (not expensive if you hire it with a few other people). For Japanese people, getting the license is easy. So, joint ownership with a Japanese person who you can trust in the best (in that he / she can get the boat license easily) :p Edit: If the size of the boat is very small (if the boat length is 3 meters or less), you don't need a boat license.

This kind of small motor boats don't require you a boat license and it's cheap (anyone can own and drive it without a license)

[​IMG]

#510 Ramenman, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Hyst likes this.
  11. M_G

Go just a little further and there's a beach. Personally I'd rather have a sea view and beach access.

I imagine you'd pick up something like this quite cheap

Ramenman likes this.
  12. Ramenman

From the house to the beach is only 6 min drive and the beach to the popular Nikka Whiskey Distillery is only 10+ min drive.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nik...2c8aa!2m2!1d140.7897211!2d43.185662!1m0?hl=en

This is the beach (very near the port & the house)

The distillery (Nikka Whiskey) is along Yoichi river. And this video was filmed in Yoichi river (meaning, it's close enough from the house / the beach). This video is trout fishing in Yoichi river.

Yoichi and Otaru are next to each other. This good condition house in Yoichi is only 9.8 million Yen.
    https://www.fudosan-k.com/buy/sp_hokkaido/sc_1408/3232917.html

Nikka Whisky Distillery Tour in Yoichi, Japan

Whisky Tour: Yoichi Distillery (Nikka)

In winter

M_G likes this.
  13. Ramenman

When I was seeing the image that @M_G -san posted, I noticed one thing in the image. It seems NAC has a business and a property there. I think NAC = Niseko Adventure Center. It's one of the most well known out door activity tour organizers in Niseko region. You see 文 in "NAC Sea Kayak Meeting Location". 文 is a Japanese map symbol meaning school. So, it seems it's registered as a school.

It's a video about NAC (Niseko Adventure Center), it's an old video, though (filmed about 8 years ago)

Otaru itself is a tourist destination, so a lot of people who come to Hokkaido for skiing visit Otaru as well, but most of them are skiing at Sapporo Teine - Sapporo Kokusai - Kiroro - Niseko - Rusutsu, not ski resorts in Otaru. However, Otaru has also some ski resorts. They offer you unique views in that it's a rare ski resort where you can see an ocean and the night views of Otaru's downtown seen from the ski resorts are beautiful as well. This is one of the ski resorts in Otaru.

This relatively good condition 4LDK house very close to the beach, a local train station and Seven Eleven is only 6.8 million Yen (it's about 100m away from the beach)
    https://suumo.jp/chukoikkodate/hokkaido_/sc_otaru/nc_94714623/

Some new and "a bit" expensive ones which are almost 0m / 0min walk to the beach are available too. This is one of them.
    [​IMG]

By the way, Yoichi is famous for fruits / orchards too.

14. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Here's a classic example of why you need to be there when tradies do work here. This is on the top of a 3 storey building with the aircon 1F. It gets buried in snow each year. No idea why this was put on the roof to start with then you can judge the quality of the job yourself.

tot, Asama, Hyst and 3 others like this.
  15. Goski

Looks like the Dodgy Brothers have been on sabbatical in Japan.

16. Ramenman

17. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

They have plenty of Japanese cousins.. :)

Goski likes this.
  18. Goski

With a little vibration the AC unit could wander off its meagre support.

19. Goski

Nice house. Bonus is two toilets. Could do with another bedroom but it should be relatively comfortable in winter with double glazed windows. I have stayed not far away in an apartment building closer to the main road. Not too far to walk to the ski area but it was nice to do it with a quick car ride to to the big car park for skiers at the resort.

20. Ramenman

I personally don't worry at all when buying used properties in Japan but it might be because I know a lot about real estates related things and I understand Japanese. There is a Japanese real estate term "現状引き渡し". If you see / hear it, it means even if you find damages after buying it, you need to repair it by yourself. Very cheap properties are often "現状引き渡し". However, even if it's a 現状引き渡し property, if the damage / the fault of the property is a serious one and the seller don't tell the fact (= the damage / the fault) to the person who is buying it, the seller will lose a lawsuit (the seller needs to pay for all costs). So, I don't worry too much. That said, checking the property by yourself is very basic when buying properties. Plus, if you don't understand Japanese nor related Japanese laws, you need to hire an expert when buying properties in Japan.

Edit :
    There is a real estate term / law "瑕疵担保責任". Thanks to 瑕疵担保責任, if it's within 3 months after you buying the property, the seller needs to repair the damage / the fault if the seller don't tell you the damage and the fault before you are buying it.
    The combination of 現状引き渡し and 瑕疵担保責任, you don't need to pay to disposed of unwanted items if the seller don't tell you there are unwanted items in the property.

21. Goski

In Australia it is generally "caveat emptor", latin for "buyer beware". If I buy a house here and it is then found to be full of termites, I will be the one paying for it to be fixed.

22. Goski

That house is 166sqm of house on 1743sqm of land. A lot of land = more land tax but there is room for a garage and the helipad.

hotsaki likes this.
  23. Asama

Asama Addicted

Even so, land tax can be negligible depending on how the land use is designated.
    My house is built on land designated "forest", even though it's a house. Makes tax a lot cheaper than a house on land designated as residential.

Goski and Ramenman like this.
  24. Ramenman

Here in Japan, the property sellers must notify the buyers if there are termites, water leaks, broken pipes, and many other things, otherwise the sellers need to pay for the costs (or the trade is cancelled). The seller and buyer can decide the period of 瑕疵担保責任 (Kashi Tanpo Sekinin) and it's usually 3 months.

The seller "I've told you about it"
    The buyer "I haven't heard of it"

In order to prevent it from happening, you need to make an official / legal document. If "The house is full of termites" is not written in the document, even if you find the house to be full of termites after buying, you can cancel the trade or you can make the seller pay for the cost. Anyway, to avoid such conflicts and unexpected additional expenditure, you should hire an expert. Considering the price of a real estate, hiring an expert is cheap.

Hyst likes this.
  25. Ramenman

Speaking of some rich people around me who own quite huge lands, they register the lands as orchards because the tax is very cheap. In many cases, they plant and grow chestnuts there, because chestnut is one of the easiest ones to take care of (they do almost nothing for the chestnut orchards)

26. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Are there termites in Japan?

27. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You want termites?We got heaps here in Darwin Big ones

28. Ramenman

The calculation of the related yearly property tax might be a bit difficult for foreigners, so you can simply ask the real estate agency how much it is. Yuzawa's properties are cheap and it usually means the tax you need to pay for the properties are cheap too.

29. Asama

Asama Addicted

Also, for tax calculation purposes the value of the building is depreciated each year until reaching zero after a certain amount of time (I think 25 years? maybe 30?), so the tax rate goes down until you're only paying tax for the land. I'm no expert, but it's pretty cheap out in the sticks compared to other costs (for example, I think I pay about about JPY30.000/400AUD a year for a house just over 20 years old on 600sq/m of land).

Cunning! I'm not running some sort of tax evasion scheme, it's always been forest ;). I think most houses near me are technically "原野"(wilderness), mine is "山林" (= "mountainside forest"?)for some reason.

Ramenman likes this.
  30. Ramenman

There are two species of termites in Japan. Blue = Ie Shiroari. Orange = Yamato Shiroari (Shiroari = termite). Ie Shiroari (blue) can cause serious damage while Yamato Shiroari (orange) causes a lot smaller damage. As you can see, Ie Shiroari isn't in ski regions, so I think you don't need to worry too much. However, Yamato Shiroari can be seen almost all over Japan except for the coldest regions of Japan and Yamato Shiroari (orange) also can cause some damage. So, when buying wood houses, you should check termites too (especially when you are buying lower altitude & lower latitude properties)
    [​IMG]

31. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Yep, you can guess how I know, luckily they were long gone when I bought my place but the damage wasnt....

32. Ramenman

This house is at the base of Iwanai Resort (only 4 min drive to Iwanai Resort). Iwanai Resort is a very rare ski resort in that it is very close to the sea. It's only 10 min drive to the sea of Japan. It's relatively close to Niseko United as well (= 40 min drive to Niseko Hanazono). It was renovated last year = it's very good condition. It's only 7.4 million Yen. If I were a retired person, I might buy it (because I love both skiing and fishing)
    [​IMG]

Iwanai Resort (the Formula One champion driver Lewis Hamilton is snowboarding at Iwanai Resort in the video)

To Iwanai Resort from the house
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42....80da0fb590e500!2m2!1d140.5130382!2d42.9476504

To a port ( = Sea of Japan) from the house
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42....8806e3cd08f668!2m2!1d140.5073616!2d42.9550304

To Niseko United (Hanazono) from the house (And, Weiss will join Niseko United with a connecting gondola, so the house to Niseko United will become even a shorter drive)
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/ニセコ+花園リゾート/Nozuka,+Iwanai,+Iwanai+District,+Hokkaido/@42.9278167,140.5670155,14339m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f0aba5ef865ea1b:0xa439ceefdf73c57d!2m2!1d140.6997962!2d42.8932189!1m5!1m1!1s0x5f0aa2b8cc301233:0x48c258523db3efc0!2m2!1d140.5188926!2d42.935672

The link : https://www.athome.co.jp/kodate/6969278673/

#532 Ramenman, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  33. M_G

So they are putting in a new gondola and reopening Weiss? Any pictures of plans?

34. Ramenman

This is the image. The Hong Kong based company that own Hanazono already bought Weiss. There was a big & relatively young hotel at the bottom of Weiss but a company bought it and already have demolished it to build a new luxury hotel there.
    [​IMG]

Two new gondolas are coming, and this is one of them.
    [​IMG]

M_G and Hyst like this.
  35. M_G

Interesting that they are re-orientating the lifts and basically abandoning the one side and the bottom of the old resort area (thereby stranding the hotel that is there). Unless the cat operation will still run there.

36. Ramenman

This real estate agency website still has it.
    https://www.yuzawacorp.jp/detail/dtl.html?mode=&no=18093637&kind2=2

And many other lodges in the same location.
    https://www.yuzawacorp.jp/buy_sell/?kind2=2

37. Ramenman

This relatively good condition business use ski lodge with 10 guest rooms at the base of Takatsue ski resort (Fukushima Pref) is only 6 million Yen now (it was 8 million Yen last year). It's not a major ski resort where foreigners are skiing, but it's cheap. Cheap, relatively good condition and snowy (it's at 950m asl, relatively high, so it's covered with deep snow in winter), so some people might like it. Takatsue ski resort has relatively big vertical roughly from 1,000m to 1,700m. Takahata ski resort, etc are close enough to drive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taketsue ski resort (the ski lodge is a short walk distance to the ski resort).

Takahata ski resort (relatively near Takatsue, but Takahata is only for skiers)

This is a different lodge but I just chose this picture to show what the location looks like in winter.
    [​IMG]

A midnight train "Snowpal 23:55" is running between Asakusa (Tokyo) and the ski region. It leaves Asakusa station at 23:55, so it's named Snowpal 23:55. You can cut the expenditure of the accommodation (because you can sleep in the train).
    [​IMG]

This is the midnight express for skiing in the region.
    [​IMG]

Takatsue ski resort : http://takatsue.jp/wp/wp-content/themes/takatsue/pdf/takatsue_2017EN.pdf

The region is one of gateways to Oze National Park (it's very popular for green season hiking and backcountry skiing).
    [​IMG]

Mt.Aizu Komagatake in March (It's a popular backcoutry mountain for advanced people, but I have never tried the mountain. The road is about 1,000m asl. The mountain is 2,133m asl, way too big vertical for me to climb in winter:p)

This is Mt.Shibutsu on April 24th. Late April had this amount of snow. Oze region is actually very snowy and the population density of the region is the lowest of Japan because it's surrounded by very snowy tall mountains. The region is not ideal for "business", but I just thought 6 million Yen is quite cheap:p

38. M_G

Interesting proposition. Looks like a classic bubble resort with 2 or 3 big bubble era hotels there (at least one closed down).

Not much in the way of a village, restaurants, etc. I think if you bought into there you could probably make it work for people who want off the radar skiing. The hill looks pretty good but base is not great (by Japanese standards).

Also you'd need to offer evening meals as well as breakfast. Plus I'd worry about the resort closing down and leaving you with a stranded asset. Appealing but I probably wouldn't touch this one.

39. Ramenman

Any "non major" ski resorts in Japan can get closed (because ski resorts are still over supply). In that sense, the ski resort can close too, but personally, I assume it won't get closed because it's the most important ski resort for the local village (Minami Aizu village) and Tobu railway. A lot of ski resorts have survived just because the ski resorts are very important for the local villages.

M_G likes this.
  40. TJ

TJ One of Us

That's a big gamble but hey people probably said that about Hakuba 15 years ago. With the domestic market shrinking there is going to be many resorts falling by the wayside. CVid will just quicken up the process. Buyer beware. BTW MG snowjapan stats are not a good indication of snowfall. EG. They use the bottom of the township for Hakuba's report. Noeyedeer

M_G likes this.
  41. Ramenman

How much important the ski resort is for the local village is actually very important when buying properties at non-major ski resorts. Now, Geto Kogen is quite popular (especially among powderhounds) but Geto Kogen actually went bankrupt a few times. For Kitakami city, Geto Kogen is the only ski resort, so Kitakami city financially supported the owners. There are many cases, Mount Racey for Yubari city, Ani ski resort for Kita Akita city, etc.

In Minami Aizu village, there are four ski resorts = Takatsue, Takahata, Nango and Daikura. Takatsue is the most important ski resort because it's a gateway ski resort for the people from Tokyo (the most accessible ski resorts of Minami Aizu village from Tokyo). Not only that, it's important for Tobu Railway that operate Snowpal 23:55. All four ski resorts have survived till 2020. Among those 4 ski resorts, Takatsue will be the last to get closed.

That said, I posted the ski lodge because it's only 6 million Yen. 6 million Yen is as cheap as a little bit expensive car, and it's amount of money that "average Australian people" can fail / lose (IMO). If it were 10 million Yen, I wouldn't have chosen it.

This video was filmed on May 9th. It's Mt.Hiuchigatake = 2,356m in Minami Aizu (it's not very close to the ski lodge, though because Minami Aizu region is large). The hike is too tough for me, so I have never tried:p

Another good point for the ski resort is (IMO), there are Nikko and Kinugawa Onsen between Asakusa (Tokyo) and the ski resort region. A few day trip of Nikko ( = a traditional part of Japan) + a snow resort from Tokyo is something many Asian tourists like. Not sure if Asian tourists will actually choose the ski resort, though:p
    [​IMG]

42. Ramenman

Speaking snowfall, I think data SnowJapan show is not very reliable. There are two JMA's weather stations around Takatsue. One in Nango. The altitude of the weather station is only 494m but the annual snowfall is 1,032cm. The base of Takatsue ski resort is about 1,000m asl, so I think the snow condition is better than the weather station. JMA has a weather station in Hakuba at 703m asl, and the annual snowfall is 668cm (Nango is 1,032cm). That said, Hakuba's weather station is a bit away from the ski slopes, so ski slopes are actually more snowy, though.

Another JMA's weather station near Takatsue ski resort is Tajima and it's at 544m asl. The annual snowfall is 631cm. JMA has a weather station in Hinoemata (Hinoemata is also in Minami Aizu and Takahata ski resort is in Hinoemata) and the annual snowfall of Hinoemata is 1,247cm.

JMA's data (降雪の深さ合計 = the amount of annual snowfall)
    Nango : https://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stat...c_no=36&block_no=0301&year=&month=&day=&view=

Hakuba : https://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stat...c_no=48&block_no=0396&year=&month=&day=&view=

Tajima : https://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stat...c_no=36&block_no=0303&year=&month=&day=&view=

Hinoemata : https://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stat...c_no=36&block_no=1295&year=&month=&day=&view=

Btw, Nango ski resort has one of the biggest half pipes in Japan and they renovated the hotel at the bottom of the ski resort last year.
    [​IMG]

43. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

No just pretty standard stuff that happens all the time jn Japan. We are at the point where we do everything ourselves. The list of **** ups I know about is pretty long. Not just at my olaces either. Getting bathrooms wrong seems to be a specialty. Air cons is also pretty high on the list. And try to get them to fix it, harder than in Aus.

44. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Seem more prevalent at Hakuba as you are the 2 nd person I know over there with an issue with them. I sm surprised neither of my olaces or surrounds seem to have them. And there is lots of wood lieing around.

45. Ramenman

Speaking of termites, termite repellent service in Japan is roughly from 1,000 Yen to 3,000 Yen per square meter. I'd say it's very cheap. Cheap doesn't always mean good in that there can be some reasons for the cheap prices. You can simply ask the real estate agency to introduce you a reliable company that have termite repellent service. Or you can visit the local JA office / shop. In almost every village, there is a JA office / shop (JA = Japan Agriculture). JA tends to be expensive, but they are reliable. Home Centers have repellent services too(Home Center is a Japanese English and it's kind of DIY store + hardware store). Almost every city / village has a Home Center. The termite repellent services that Home Centers have are very cheap in many cases.

This is an old picture that I posted in "Gardening Thread". You see JA Ibaraki (Ibaraki = Ibaraki Prefecture, near Tokyo). It's a cap of Japan Agriculture Ibaraki because farming and gardening are one of my hobbies and I use JA often. The cup is a Gran Deco's cup (Gran Deco is one of ski resorts in Urabandai Highland).
    [​IMG]

#545 Ramenman, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  46. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting details and photo, thanks. Happy gardening. Cheap termite control might be dependent on which chemicals they use or which chemicals are permitted. We had to have a section of the ground floor rebuilt after termites came in through a crack in the concrete slab it was built on. The termite control man drilled holes through the concrete and pumped some chemical in there. They have not been back, fingers crossed (for good luck).

47. Ramenman

Many good location lodges / hotels tend to be sold before you see the information on real estate websites. There are some reasons. One of them is that the owners are selling their lodges to the people who they like. In Zao, I've actually seen some old owners sold their ski lodges to their guests at relatively low prices. The people who built those ski lodges in the bubble economy and ski boom era are 70 - 80 years old on average now. For example, the owner of this lodge at the bottom of Zao Liza World at 1,000m asl is 76 years old now. He still organizes some backcountry tours, but it is for sure 76 is the age when he needs to seriously think about retirement. You stay at the lodge, say some basic Japanese words or very basic sentences that can make the owner feel happy. You take pictures with the owner. After you go back home, you send a letter / card with the pictures, and you casually ask the owner about the lodge's future (or you can simply ask when you are at the lodge). I've seen two cases that went very well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where the lodge is :
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/山形蔵王坊平高原+野口ペンション/@38.124774,140.3916843,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!3m7!1s0x5f8a4c1ebdf9ec53:0xf251bb5feb1d9740!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d38.124774!4d140.393873

48. Goski

That would be a lovely way to get into the lodge business.

49. TJ

TJ One of Us

Haaaaa. No not just Hakuba they are everywhere in Japan. Buyer beware and should be part of any inspection.

skichanger likes this.
  50. Ramenman

Very close to the house (well, might be almost next to the house), this house is for sale at 4 million Yen. The house was used till this year (2020). Some people like this kind of old Japanese houses. The condition is relatively good. Only 20 min drive to Madarao Kogen and it's close to Iiyama station (a Shinkansen station). The house was registered to Iiyama city's Akiya Bank very recently. Iiyama city says "It's no need for renovation". So, it's only 4 million Yen, 4LDK, no need for renovation, close to Madarao, Nozawa Onsen, etc. It sounds good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The link : https://furusato-iiyama.net/a180/

m2711c, fennekeg, Asama and 1 other person like this.