1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource Japan Snow Country Realestate 2020 to 2070

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Scoober, Aug 17, 2020.

1. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

This is so peak Japan. Something goes broke, or is not viable. So just spend a shitload more money. When that doesn't work, rinse and repeat. No wonder the country is literally drowning in white elephants.

Scoober likes this.
  2. Asama

Asama Addicted

If it's an auction, I assume that's the starting price?

3. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, and the actual auction period is between October 28th and November 4th (the information was listed on the auction website on October 8th). If it were located in a village center, it would be easily sold. However, it's in a very snowy highland away from the village center, so if a person is buying it, it'll be the second or third house for him / her (weekend & holiday use). I guess not many people can decide to buy a second / third house within one month (the house got listed on October 8th and the dead line is November 4th). Hence, you might be able to get it at a very cheap price. The location is good for ski / snowboard fans.

4. Asama

Asama Addicted

Do you know if the final bids are published anywhere? Would be interesting to know what it ultimately goes for.

5. Ramenman

You can see the final bids on the website or 福島地方裁判所会津若松支部.

I sometimes see those public auctions because I'm interested in. This July, about 40 year old business use ski lodge was on the same public auction of Fukushima Pref. The starting price was 2.3 million Yen, and the final bid was about 2.5 million Yen. Renovation was needed for the lodge, but still, I'd say it was a good buy. The buyers are given only one month, so not many people will actually bid (most won't even notice it's on the auction now).

Asama likes this.
  6. Ramenman

This website is Daiwa House's project in the region. Daiwa House are developing regions which are beautiful nature sites good for owning the second houses or the houses to live in after retirement. They were making a lot of lots and building a lot of houses in Urabandai Highland too. And the house was one of them.
    https://www.daiwahouse.co.jp/shinrin/urabandai/gallery/index.html

The link above is Urabandai's one. They are doing the same things in some ski resort regions, such as Zao, Hachimantai and Inawashiro (Inawashiro is very near Urabandai). For example, these are the houses that they are selling in Inawashiro now (they buy the whole land, making lots and building houses there).
    https://www.daiwahouse.co.jp/shinrin/inawashiro/plan/index.html

7. Ramenman

Some people are using crowdfunding too. The people of Yukisato Loge have started business by use of crowdfunding. Being based in Arai / Myoko, they are targeting tourists from abroad as well by offering them snow related activities and cultural experiences. They stared their business by collecting enough money through crowdfunding. They renovated a Japanese old house and opened the lodge this month.

[​IMG]

You can see the process of the renovation in this video.

They are organizing snowmobile tours, etc in the region.

Jacksong likes this.
  8. Ramenman

When this thread was made about 2 months ago, I checked some lodges / houses in Hachimantai for sale because I think the region is potential with great terrains and snow quality for skiing. Some have got cheaper since I first saw the prices 2 months ago. This house was 13.8 million Yen but now 10.8 million Yen. Only 5 min drive to Shimokura and 5 min drive to Panorama, 20 min drive to Appi, and it's close enough to Iwate Kogen, Amihari and Shizukuishi. Considering the size and condition of the house, 10.8 million Yen is cheap (That said, the price is still negotiable and you should try to buy less than 10 million Yen).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The link : https://www.athome.co.jp/kodate/6971609859/

I really like the region for 4 reasons. Reason 1 : Snow condition is very stable and reliable. Reason 2 : Season is long. Reason 3 : Trees are nicely sparse for treerun. 4 : There are a lot of good backcountry terrains by easy & short hike. This video was filmed on April 21st. It's only at 1300m above sea level but it can have this amount of snow in late April.

Videos filmed in the region

M_G and Scoober like this.