1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource Japan Snow Country Realestate 2020 to 2070

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Scoober, Aug 17, 2020.

1. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Wow! that is a lot of money for both the Madarao places. The one next door to Hakken is/was for sale for about 1/3 of that, which is a bit more than they paid for Hakken. I wonder if Hakken is for sale because Active Life have bought a resort elsewhere. Not happy about their description of being ski out. We have regular incidents of their guests trying to die on either our vehicles or snow blower.

If the one at Ryuoo has not had a hotel license it could be difficult to get one. And Ryuoo has other issues for westerners. I have some friends who have bought there are and are struggling.

Jacksong and M_G like this.
  2. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I don't understand why this property in Furano can be this cheap. It's only 8 min drive to Kitanomine (the bottom lift / gondola station of Furano ski resort) and 7 min drive to Furano station. 5 bed rooms (5LDK). The real estate website has only one picture, so I actually can't judge the real condition but it's only 21 years old (relatively new), so the condition can't be that bad, I guess. It's only 6.8 million Yen now.
    https://myhome.nifty.com/ikkodate/detail/?url=https://www.misawa-mrd.com/select/id.0007082948&station=nemurohonsen:furano,nemurohonsen:shintoku,furanosen:biei,furanosen:kamifurano,furanosen:furano&pref=hokkaido&psid=969cc400f618e9077002969913118730b95f90793a24e9fc03aff98d971db70f

susie2516 and 2ESki like this.
  3. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Possibly something sad went on inside?

Ramenman likes this.
  4. M_G

I wouldn't say either place in Madarao is worth much more than half of what they're asking, esp. in the current circumstances. But who knows? Maybe it's just a spec. price (e.g. if you really want it you can pay us this much). I've got a theory about one of them but not one that I'd put out in public.

5. Ramenman

You mean 事故物件? . Personally, I don't mind 事故物件 at all and I'm willing to buy 事故物件 if it's discounted a lot for the reason. 事故物件 = properties (houses, apartment rooms, etc) in which suicide, murder, etc happened.

Very near the property, there is another cheap property. However, it's 2LDK. For a family use, I think 2LDK is enough, though. It's only 7 min drive to Kitanomine (the bottom gondola station of Furano ski resort). It's 8.8 million Yen(It's still negotiable and can be even a bit cheaper).
    http://myhome.nifty.com/ikkodate/detail/?url=http://nifty.athome.co.jp/bkdtl?BUKKEN=6971512034&ITEM=ks&ART=13&ppPR=1&station=nemurohonsen:furano,nemurohonsen:shintoku,furanosen:biei,furanosen:kamifurano,furanosen:furano&pref=hokkaido&psid=7187ee8e63c350f8d6bd6961711bc07680e8d941a2fc86bc256d5e2f21e0f1bd

susie2516, Jacksong and M_G like this.
  6. Ramenman

This 4LDK house is only 5 min drive to Furano station and 10 min drive to Kitanomine (Furano ski resort) and only 5.3 million Yen. It seems there are more cheap properties near Furano ski resort than I thought. I feel the Furano's local real estate agency intentionally have only a few pictures so that we have to visit the office to see the actual conditions of the properties that they have (I mean, they don't have enough pictures which help us confirm the real conditions of the properties).
    http://www.officefurano-fudosan.jp/properties/main_view.php?no=155&category=buy

susie2516 and Jacksong like this.
  7. skichanger

skichanger A Local

I know the owner of one and know some of the story. To some extent selling it was always part of the plan. But other things, I would not discuss on here, have also influenced the decision to sell. I am sure you @M_G have heard lots of stories as well. Some are true, some not and not sure that even the people involved are on top of which is which.

M_G likes this.
  8. Ramenman

A French Moroccan friend of mine was tweeting this. Somehow, Japan is the second most popular destination after Canada (why &really??) according to google search data. It says Japan is the most popular destination seen from US, Canada, Australia and ASEAN countries. ASEAN countries (the population = 600 millions) and Australia are the main guests & targets for Japanese ski resort villages, so it's good to hear:p.
    The source : https://www.remitly.com/gb/en/landing/where-the-world-wants-to-live?utm_source=vancouver is awesome&utm_campaign=vancouver is awesome&utm_medium=referral&irclickid=2WzRY5zTZxyLRmw0OGSitWCIUkEwLQVyDycb380&af_sub1=Skimbit Ltd.&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
    [​IMG]

9. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

It's finding the local real estate websites in Central Hokkaido that has been challenging for me. I have several of the big ones bookmarked (goo, Homes, At Home, etc) together with local government vacant house links. If you can find any local real estate sites that'd be fantastic :). It's unlikely we'll be able to travel anytime soon, so I'll have to be content with research and roaming areas via Google Earth :/

Here's our wishlist:
    - Central Hokkaido (Shimukappu, Shintoku, Furano) and/or north of Sapporo (around Otaru to access Kiroro and Kokusai)
    - 2 or 3 DLK (under 50 years preferably)
    - price under Y10m (between 2m - 8million yen)

On a side note, there seems to be some opportunities for teaching English in Sapporo - I'm a high school teacher, so this is perfect for my retirement plans down the track :)

Ramenman likes this.
  10. Ramenman

Yes, nationwide real estate agency like "at home"(one of the agencies you mentioned) is very useful. There are some major nationwide real estate agency websites like at home. Those nationwide real estate agencies are allied with small local real estate agencies which specialize in specific regions. Small local real estate agencies have more detailed information on each property of the region and more properties in the specific region. However, nationwide real estate agencies like at home are more helpful to understand rough prices of different regions more easily.

When it comes to Otaru, at home have 149 used houses. Many of them are very reasonable (cheaper than 8 million Yen). I like Otaru very much in that the city itself is great with a lot of good restaurants & bars, Otaru is very close to Sapporo(I like Sapporo Teine), Kiroro, fishing sites (the sea + rivers) and good orchards (especially Niki village). Plus, Otaru is relatively close to Niseko as well (and Hokkaido Shinkansen will stop at both Otaru and Niseko).

English teacher is one of the easiest ways for English speaking people to get a job with a proper visa in Japan. You are a teacher in Australia, then I assume you can get a job as an English teacher in Japan after retirement easily. You can't expect much income, but I'd say you don't need to work and earn seriously after retirement. In that sense, Otaru, Sapporo, etc are ideal for earning some by working 4 days a week and skiing 2 days a week in winter (Sapporo and Otaru are big cities, hence, there are many English conversation schools). Usually, 1 year is the minimum contract period as an English teacher, so you'll live there in green season as well. Then, you might like this property. Actually, I wrote about the property here several months ago too. It's walking distance to a beach, a port and a train station. It takes only about 15 mins to Otaru station by train from the station, which means it's easy to commute to Otaru's downtown from the house. It's only 6.8 million Yen and the condition is good (no need for a big renovation). Edit : 4 bed rooms (4LDK)
    https://www.athome.co.jp/kodate/697...&BKLISTID=001LPC&SEARCHDIV=1&sref=list_simple

These are the 149 used houses in Otaru city that at home have now.
    https://www.athome.co.jp/kodate/chuko/hokkaido/otaru-city/list/?RND_TIME_PRM=25301&RND_MODE=0

I came to notice that at home are claiming that they are allied with 57,933 real estate agencies. So, there are at least 57,933 local real estate agencies in Japan:p

susie2516 likes this.
  11. Ramenman

価格 = price. 円 = Yen. 万=10,000. So, 100万円 = 1 million Yen, 850万円 = 8.5 million Yen. You'll often see ABC万円 on real estate websites.

12. Ramenman

Suumo is a useful nationwide real estate agency allied with a lot of local real estate agencies like at home. You say you are interested in Sappro city. Sapporo city is a mega city with the population of 2 million, and there aren't many used houses cheaper than 10 million Yen. This is a very good condition house (renovated this July = 2020's July), so the very good condition. 4 bed rooms (4LDK) + Sapporo city + very good condition = 8.98 million Yen is very reasonable. It's only 15 min drive to Jozankei Onsen village (I like Jozankei and a lot of new hotels have been opening there in recent years).
    https://suumo.jp/jj/bukken/shosai/JJ010FJ100/?ar=010&bs=021&nc=94692042

However, if you are thinking to work at an English conversation school in Japan (as a post retirement job), I think you don't need to buy a property before getting the job. I mean, most major schools have apartment rooms for teachers from abroad. If your school is in Sapporo, the school will prepare an apartment room for you in Sapporo (you only need to pay a little per month). Plus, buying a property in Japan after actually living with a proper visa is a lot easier than buying befor living in Japan with a proper visa. In that sense, the first thing you do might be to find an English conversation school to work for, rather than a property.

I'd say having a small job + some hobbies is the ideal for retired people who are still young enough and healthy. In that sense, working as an English teacher and ski & travel in Japan can be good for some amount of people.

susie2516 likes this.
  13. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

Thanks for the links to Otaru real estate - so many properties for sale! I came across a property close enough to Asarigawa Onsen to make it interesting.
    https://suumo.jp/chukoikkodate/hokkaido_/sc_otaru/nc_95252081/
    Not sure if the road is cleared up to the house in winter - it appears to be the last house at the end of a narrow road. Seems like a good location, with convenience and grocery stores close by and good access to ski fields. We spent some time in Otaru a couple of years ago - I really liked it and close enough to Sapporo for access to a large city and facilities. I may be switching my interest from Central Hokkaido to north west Sapporo ;)

Real estate sites and Google Earth are a poor substitute for being there in person but will have to suffice for now! I'm trying to learn some Japanese (although not sure how successful the language app will be) and also follow a couple of Japanese travellers on Twitter - love seeing their different locations, food and convenience store purchases. Keeping the dream alive :cool:

Ramenman likes this.
  14. M_G

First thing I notice about that is that it's 42yo. In Japanese terms the house is worth nothing. They would value it as land value - demolition cost. It's not worth 2.3m.
    The second thing is that it's 8 minutes to the nearest bus stop so you have to have a car. And you can't own a car without a residency visa.
    Lastly, I'm pretty certain that would be a private road so snow clearing will be a problem.

15. Asama

Asama Addicted

Well yes and no I think - although the building would be valued as worthless for tax purposes, if it's still inhabitable (and it looks like it just about is) and not in a truly godawful location I think it retains an intrinsic value. Dunno anything about property prices up there but 2.3m doesn't sound that outrageous to me. Daresay would need plenty of extra money thrown at it to make it nice and cosy though.

If there are other ppl living year round on that private road I expect they have some sort of snow clearing arrangements. Maybe you'd need your own machine for the last bit up to the house but it looks doable...

Where there's a will there's a way, and all that.

fennekeg, susie2516 and Ramenman like this.
  16. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

There are some brand new builds and a pension on that road (not sure it's a private road) so I'd assume it's cleared, although possibly not up to the doorstep of the house that's for sale. To me, Y2.3m seems reasonable and would suggest work needed to be done to make it pleasant to live in.

This forum is a great source of info regarding the practicalities of actually going ahead with the dream of having a base in Japan :) We have a few different friends who've bought over there (in various locations) and have given us a warts-and-all rundown over the years - overall the good far outweighs the bad and they've been very encouraging :thumbs:

Ramenman likes this.
  17. Ramenman

The property is only 20 min drive to Sapporo Kokusai (according to Google map, I don't know the road condition in winter much, though). It's only 2.3 million Yen. If I were you, I would spend 2 million Yen to renovate the toilet room, the bath room and the kitchen (if you choose simple & cheap ones, 2 million Yen is enough, I guess). I mean, if toilet room, bathroom and kitchen look relatively new in pictures, it gets easier to resell. Even if you spend 4.3 million Yen (2.3 million Yen + 2 million Yen), it's still only a car price, rather than a house. You can send emails via the websites (at home, Suumo, etc). If you are seriously interested in specific properties and there are some things that you want to ask about the properties, I can send them emails on behalf of you.

susie2516 likes this.
  18. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

Thanks for your help - I may take you up on that offer in the future :)

Ramenman likes this.
  19. Ramenman

As to Sapporo, Suumo have 800 used houses in Sapporo and numerous apartment rooms. The population of Sapporo city is 2 million, so it's a mega city = properties tend to be expensive, so Summo have only 32 used houses which are cheaper than 10 million Yen in Sapporo city. These are the used houses in Sapporo cheaper than 10 million Yen that Suumo has now (if apartment rooms are okay, there are quite many)
    https://suumo.jp/jj/bukken/ichiran/...99&hb=0&ht=9999999&et=9999999&et=9999999&fw2=

All of them are in Sapporo city, but less than 10 million Yen means it's a bit away from the downtown.

And, these are 700 used houses in Sapporo city that "at home" have now (all price ranges, not only less than 10 million Yen).
    https://www.athome.co.jp/kodate/chuko/hokkaido/sapporo-locate/list/

#669 Ramenman, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Hyst and susie2516 like this.
  20. Ramenman

By the way, not only a house, you'll need to buy a car and basic furniture including TV, fridge, washing machine, beds, etc. You don't know how many years you are going to use the house, so you should buy all used ones. If all of them (car, tv, fridge, washing machine, beds and other basic furniture) are used ones, the total cost can be less than 1 million Yen.

Speaking of used cars, my father bought Toyota Harrier (now Harrier is sold as Lexus RX abroad) about 20 years ago. Most people in Japan don't use 20 year old cars but gardening, farming, skiing and fishing are my big hobbies and the hobbies can make my new car dirty. I want to keep my car clean, so I usually use the 20 year old Harrier (Lexus RX) for those hobbies. Due to a Japanese law, all cars must be inspected every 2 years. So, even if the cars are old, they are inspected (hence, they are very safe and reliable). 20 years old Harrier is available about 0.3 million Yen. The inspection cost of our 19 year old Harrier was about 0.14 million Yen last year (so, 0.07 million Yen per year). Here is 19 year old Harrier for sale at a used car shop(Harrier is 4WD SUV). The car price is only 0.28 million Yen and the total cost is only 0.42 million Yen(the legal inspection fee is included). Harrier is a big expensive SUV. There are a lot cheaper 4WD cars.

This is the same 19 year old Harrier. It's clean and the condition looks good. In Japan, the conditions of used ones are good in general.

#670 Ramenman, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    susie2516 and Hyst like this.
  21. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

Interesting! Great to have an idea of cost for second hand cars :) I see a lot of Kei trucks/vans around in rural areas so am guessing they're pretty reliable and cost effective (and kawaii). My husband loves trawling sites for vehicles, snow blowers, home improvement things - interesting to see price differences between Japan and Australia. One thing we noticed was the cost of wood burning stoves/fireplaces which seem quite expensive.

22. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

23. Ramenman

Good, you know the Japanese word "Kawaii":cool:. Saying a basic Japanese word can make a lot of Japanese people feel happy and can help you make them get to like you. I mean, Japanese language is a local language spoken only inside Japan. Of course Japanese people know it, so a lot of Japanese people feel happy when foreigners try to use Japanese (I guess it's because they feel "trying to use Japanese = showing some respect to Japanese culture). Fortunately, Japanese pronunciation is quite easy, so don't hesitate to say Japanese words / sentences, Japanese people will understand in many cases. It doesn't have to be a long sentence, but only a simple word is enough:).

I used to live in Australia as well when I was a kid, but it's a loooong time ago (around Sydney Olympics time), so I can't say anything about the price differences between Japan and Australia (I can only tell you how much they are here in Japan)

fennekeg and susie2516 like this.
  24. Ramenman

Here is another example of used cars (If you are buying a house / apartment abroad, in many cases, you'll need a car and car is the second biggest expenditure, so I think knowing used car prices in Japan is important). My "main" home is in Ibaraki Prefecture. This used car shop is in Ibaraki Prefecture. I mean, I randomly chose a used 4WD SUV from a used car shop which is not too far from my main home. This 15 year old 4WD Honda HR-V is only 0.21 million Yen and the total cost including the legal inspection is only 0.38 million Yen. The mileage of the car ( = 走行) is only 85,000km ( = 8.5万km) and the condition is good. If it is a smaller car which is not 4WD, even cheaper used cars are available, but I'd say less than 0.4 million Yen is already very cheap enough.

susie2516 and Hyst like this.
  25. M_G

In case people haven't seen this one. There's an operating (and popular) backpackers hostel in Akakura Onsen going for only 28.5m. Was 35m - owners keen to sell. I'm friends with the owners so you can PM me if wanting to know anything.

https://joetsu-myoko.com/japan-ski-hostel-for-sale/

[​IMG]

Lucky Pete and Ramenman like this.
  26. TeePee

TeePee Early Days

This is interesting. If the numbers at the website are legit, 5% seems like a no brainer when the banks are offering barely 2%. And stay vouchers to boot! Seems like fractionalised digital ownership of real estate via blockchains is going to be big down the track. I've come across a couple of other platforms doing the same sort of thing. RealT (https://realt.co/) and Preflogic (meant to be launching early '21 but here's a good 6 minute demo: ). Both those platforms a registered with the SEC giving them some legitimacy. This approach could be a good option for folks in this channel looking to setup a part time base in Japan?? Kind of like a more transparent, efficient and cheaper timeshare.

27. Ramenman

Every year, JLL issue "Top 30 cities for direct commercial real estate investment" like the image below. The image below is an old one but some media are reporting Tokyo is the top of 2020, the second is Seoul and the third is London (Tokyo = Top and Seoul = Second is because of COVID-19). Investments to real estates in Japan from abroad are increasing quite a lot. The ratio of investment from abroad to Japan was 21% last year, this year is about 38%(so, the ratio is nearly double)
    [​IMG]
    Source : https://www.sankei.com/economy/news/201205/ecn2012050013-n1.html

28. Ramenman

This 20 year old house in Hachimantai (short drive to Shimokura, Panorama, Appi Kogen, etc) is only 2 million Yen now. It's only 1LDK, so it's a family use. L = Living room, so if you have sofa beds in the living room, you can have 2 bed rooms in a way. It's 20 years old, reatively new and the condition is good. I think the price is still negotiable and 1.6 million is possible. 1.6 million + 0.4 million used 4WD car + 1 million for a very minimum renovation and used furniture = the total cost of 3 million Yen is possible.
    https://www.athome.co.jp/kodate/6971909802/

susie2516 likes this.
  29. Ramenman

New condominium and apartment sales in the Tokyo Metropolitan area are recovering
    [​IMG]

30. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Possibly heading into over supply again as happens in many places.

Ramenman likes this.
  31. Ramenman

Even though the population of Japan started shrinking around 2010, the population of Tokyo has been growing even now. COVID-19 made Japanese companies decide to have remote / satellite offices away from Tokyo this year, but still more and more young people from inaka villages are likely to move to Tokyo. COVID-19 damage the tourism industry of local villages. Those villages have only farming and tourism industries. If COVID-19 is damaging tourism further, the villages can't offer young people enough jobs, making young people leave villages to get jobs in Tokyo = the real village deaths.
    [​IMG]

Lucky Pete likes this.
  32. Asama

Asama Addicted

Slightly off topic, but in many ways moving away from a rural hometown is a healthy thing as it broadens horizons and perspectives. The problem arises when people want to move back again but find themselves chained to careers (or partners who don't want to move to the middle of nowhere) and end up stuck on the urban treadmill. I'm hoping one of the upsides of Covid will be increased flexibility in remote working, allowing white collar workers to move back into the countryside. If the provinces can't diversify beyond agriculture and tourism, they're doomed with or without covid really.

susie2516, M_G and Ramenman like this.
  33. Ramenman

I agree with you, but even if remote work gets common, I think those villages will still die without tourism. Even if remote work gets more common, most white collar jobs will be done in mega & big cities. The combination of "cheaper properties (houses & lands) and tourism (tourist attractions)" can make some amount of white collar people in mega & big cities decide to move to inaka villages, IMO.

Edit: How is it like in the UK? I mean, inaka villages in the UK.

34. Ramenman

By the way, now in 2020, I don't feel living in an inaka village is inconvenient much. Now, we have useful online stores such as amazon. If we order something, we can receive it within a day or two even in very inaka villages. Plus, now we have Netflix, etc and we can watch foreign TV channels such as BBC, CNN, FOX, and a lot more at home even in inaka villages. So, as long as you are inside a house, the life in an inaka village and the life in a mega city don't differ. Highway buses are running between most cities and Tokyo. For example, Morioka (= a city in Northern Tohoku) to Tokyo is only 3500 Yen / midweek, 4500Yen / weekend (can be more expensive sometimes, though), cheap enough to visit Tokyo often (one of them leaves Morioka at 11pm and arrives in Tokyo at 7am).

Edit: inaka = rural

35. Asama

Asama Addicted

Unfortunately, a lot of villages will still die even *with* tourism. It's just a question of which villages. The population pyramid will see to that. You could say that Japan's population is currently abnormally large and now dropping back towards what it was before the mid-20th century. Not that that saves the villages, but I digress...

So in the UK, there's been a shift such that the countryside is generally seen as more desirable than the cities from a quality of life perspective, so many people look to move out of urban areas once they reach a certain age and income level. Strict rules on development mean there is generally a lack of rural housing with respect to demand, so prices are generally very high.
    The UK is also quite compact so commuting from villages to larger towns for work is easy and popular.
    The story may be different in remote areas, especially further north, but generally speaking rural depopulation is a non-issue. Urban deprivation is considered the much bigger problem.

Ramenman likes this.
  36. Ramenman

Yeah, a lot of villages will die even with tourism, but without tourism, more villages will die. Including me, some amount of young people around me bought properties in ski villages. Without tourism (ski resorts), we wouldn't have bought properties there and more people in the regions would have moved to bigger cities to get jobs.

37. Asama

Asama Addicted

Definitely true, and I'm all for saving villages, so please don't misunderstand me.

Another thing that occurred to me re: Japan vs UK is that it's very unusual to build your own house in the UK. Houses are built to last and are reused for generation after generation, whereas I think most Japanese people dream of building and living in a new house. I believe houses are designed to last around 40-50 years?
    Therefore in the UK we don't really end up with decaying neighbourhoods full of empty buildings when the generation who built them starts dying off, whereas I often notice this effect in Japan. When a neighbourhood starts looking abandoned, of course it becomes less attractive to buy/rebuild a house there, so it becomes a vicious cycle.

38. Ramenman

Yeah, Japanese people dream to become "一国一城の主" by building their own new houses. I'd say it's a bad culture, however, it's very good for the people who want to live in rural villages in that used properties are very cheap. Now, most major home builders say "Our houses can last for 60 - 100 years". If people renovate the houses, they can last even longer. However, most people in Japan want to build their new houses, rather than buying and renovating used houses. Not only that, due to frequent earthquakes and big yearly precipitation including typhoons, the houses in Japan can be damaged more than houses in most other countries including the UK.

39. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

There would be plenty of people in poorer SE Asian countries that would give anything to secure a plot of farming land in rural Japan. Immigration could be the saviour of the small dying villages. It would also be beneficial to the problem of a rapidly aging population. Win win. Sadly it would never be considered.

40. Ramenman

It's already happening, though. In recent years, I see quite many South East Asians, especially people from Vietnam working at farms in rural villages. Their visas are special visas that are supposed to be valid for only several years, but some of them get long term visas and keep working in the villages. It seems there are loopholes and I feel Japanese government are making those loopholes "intentionally"

41. TACKIE

That sounds hopefull. Are they allowed to buy the land and gain permanent residency.

42. Ramenman

In 2018, about 8% of the people working in agriculture industry were foreigners. In 2020 before COVID-19 got serious, I guess the ratio was around 10%. The people who were born in the baby boom era are 70 - 75 years old now and many of them are still working but they will be retiring in the near future, which will make the ratio of foreigners rise further, I assume. We own a farmland in Ibaraki Prefecture. Speaking of people younger than 40 years old working at farms in Ibaraki Prefecture, one third (1/3) of them are foreigners. Even NHK was reporting the fact. Old people will keep retiring and young foreigners come to work instead. It will accelerate further.

Edit: Fishery industry is the same.

Asama likes this.
  43. Ramenman

This is NHK Hokkaido last week (broadcasted on December 4th, 2020). The title of the video is "Furano, the second Niseko. English and Chinese are going to become Furano's official languages?"

This is Kitanomine(Furano). Red = Recently sold. Blue = For sale now. https://www.nhk.or.jp/hokkaido/articles/slug-n011c4e6959c6
    [​IMG]

44. skichanger

skichanger A Local

There are lots of barriers for asians in Japan. Racism is one of the big ones. And lack of taking refugees.

We see quite a few Pakistanis and when we went to the car auction neat Niigata city more than half the people were Muslims. We were given a meal ticket and we wanted to swap for the halal one because it looked nicer.

Asama likes this.
  45. Ramenman

By the way, I heard immigrant rules of Australia have got more difficult and foreigners working in Japan is easier than foreigners working in Australia now. Is that true?. Getting permanent residency is the same. Living in Japan for 10 years (working for 5 years of out the 10 years) enable you to get the permanent visa (If you have high skills or Japanese family, it gets a lot easier). Basically, except some very rare cases, all countries started accepting a lot of immigrants in the wake of labor shortage. Almost no countries accept immigrants without "benefits" for the countries. Now, Japan are facing severe labor shortage for the first time in history. I'm curious what will happen in 2030.

Sorry, it might be off-topic:p

46. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Temporarily Australia is impossible. But that will probably change back to what it was before Covid-19.

If Japan were easy it would not be the mono-culture that it is.

47. Asama

Asama Addicted

I'm sure experiences vary greatly, but I've found Japan to be pretty easy re: immigration. I went from short stay → work visa (arranged in-country) → spouse visa → permanent resident in under 10 years and have never really got stuck at any point. If the situation was reversed and my OH wanted to live with me in the UK, it would be more expensive, less friendly, and probably even more bureaucratic.

Of course, I've been both privileged and lucky...

The UK is absolutely twattish (technical term) when it comes to immigration. Dunno what the vibe is in Australia for foreigners aiming for long term residency.

fennekeg and Ramenman like this.
  48. Ramenman

I recently often hear similar stories = "Japan is easy". I know nothing about how difficult for East Asian people to get jobs in the UK, though.

I have some Taiwanese and Malaysian friends who used to study in Australia and are currently working in Japan. They told me "Japan is a lot easier than Australia". I googled a moment ago and it seems immigration rules of Australia have become strict further in 2017. Those friends of mine were in Australia before 2017 and the rules have become even more strict since then.

49. TACKIE

Many people confuse " residency " with "citizenship ".

skichanger likes this.
  50. Ramenman

The price of this property has gotten even cheaper. Now, it's 9.8 million Yen. It was 13.8 million Yen in this summer, 10.8 million Yen in this autumn, and 9.8 million Yen in this winter = now:p. It seems the owner is very eager to sell it soon. Now the owner says 9.8 million Yen, so you might be able to get it at 9 million Yen or a lot less;) https://www.athome.co.jp/kodate/6971609859/