1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource Japan Snow Country Realestate 2020 to 2070

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Scoober, Aug 17, 2020.

1. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Sure doesn't seem that way from my point of view. Tell me when you find someone not ethnically Japanese who has citizenship. Not that I want to become a Japanese citizen.

2. skichanger

skichanger A Local

My husband is and family are Australian. He grew up in UK and his mother was there for over 50 years. She is still Australian and returned to Aus 3 years ago. His brother still lives in UK. They have had no problems living in UK.

I think it depends on your individual circumstances.

3. Asama

Asama Addicted

For sure, too many variables to generalise. I'm sure new arrivals now would have a very different experience to your MIL 50+ yrs ago though.

I know ethnic Chinese and Koreans that have. If you don't "look" Japanese and are from another 1st world country, the benefits of Japanese citizenship over residency are likely to be veeery marginal (the requirement to surrender your old nationality doesn't help). But if you really want to, I don't think it's particularly difficult (I believe language skills are required, but seems fair enough imo).

4. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Speaking of citizenship, it's not difficult for the people who live and work in Japan for enough years without committing crimes. However, there is almost no benefits for them to gain Japanese citizenship except suffrage. Applicants must be ready to renounce citizenship in other countries, so most don't try to gain Japanese citizenship. Living in Japan with Permanent Resident Visa (which is easy to gain) is enough for most people. If they want to vote, they apply for citizenship, that's all.

Edit: I know some people who gained Japanese citizenship without losing citizenship of their home countries "secretly".

fennekeg likes this.
  5. Asama

Asama Addicted

Back to real estate, last week I found out that I am essentially exempt from Japan's property acquisition tax (不動産取得税) by virtue of living in the house I bought. There are a couple of other criteria you have to meet but the way it's worked out, I suspect it will go down to zero or almost zero in most cases.

You have to read the small print on the tax invoice and apply specifically for the exemption (technically a "reduction"), but it was a nice surprise to see a bill for 80,000 go down to nothing just like that.

Doesn't help you if buying a second home/lodge, but a useful tidbit of real estate knowledge.

Ramenman likes this.
  6. Asama

Asama Addicted

I've heard the authorities turn a blind eye to it. But I would assume at some point in the naturalisation process you have to state "I have surrendered my other citizenship(s)", and it's not nice applying for something under false pretences.

Dual nationality children (in which case it's allowed) are supposed to choose either/or nationality at a certain age (20?) but again, seems to be a "don't ask, don't tell" arrangement. I've heard Japanese embassies around the world spend a lot of time renewing completely unused Japanese passports :p

TACKIE and Ramenman like this.
  7. Ramenman

That's very true:p. The authorities turn a blind eye to it. I know only one case which became an issue. A Japanese person won a Nobel Prize. Then, Japanese media introduced him as a Japanese national while American media introduced him as an American national, which forced Japanese authorities to react. There are increasing number of people like you (couples of Japanese and foreigner), and I guess (or hope?) dual nationality will be allowed to their children in the end (hope before "our children" turn 22 years old:p)

fennekeg and Asama like this.
  8. Ramenman

This 20 year old 3LDK house which is only 1km away (15min walk or less) from Kutchan station is 21 million Yen. Hokkaido Shinkansen will stop at Kutchan station in the future, which means a new Shinkansen station will be constructed and a lot of investments are coming there. In that sense, 21 million Yen might be "reasonable".
    http://myhome.nifty.com/ikkodate/de...40c88582139a6ca7e476d68e768409ef27f3231160095

9. Ramenman

A bit more about the property and the development plans around the new Shinkansen station. Yellow = the used house. Green = the new Shinkansen station. It's only 1km between Yellow and Green. From the station to Niseko Hanazono is only 10 mins by car / bus. Blue circles are areas where there are development plans related to the new Shinkansen station.

Now, it takes 110 mins between Niseko (Kutchan) and Sapporo. It will become only 25 mins. It can be 22mins or shorter in that a new faster Shinkansen vehicle is planned to run. Roughly 20+ mins to a mega city of 2 million population is great. Plus, Sapporo is trying to host Winter Olympics 2030 (rivals are Salt Lake and Barcelona). If Sapporo wins, Niseko United will host a lot of events.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Ramenman

Here is another Hokkaido Shinkansen related properties. Hokkaido Shinkansen will stop at Otaru too (Kutchan - Otaru - Sapporo). However, the current Otaru station has no space for the new platforms for Shinkansen. Hence, the new Shinkansen station is constructed a bit away from the current Otaru station. The new Otaru Shinkansen station is 10 - 15 mins by car / bus from the current Otaru station. It's very close to Tenguyama ski resort and it's 30 mins to Kiroro by car / bus. Otaru to Sapporo is only 12 mins or less by Shinkansen. Otaru to Kutchan is only 13 mins or less by Shinkansen. So, having a property near the new Otaru Shinkansen station means 1:Free or very cheap shuttle bus to Kiroro and Tenguyama, 2:Skiing in Niseko and Sapporo (Teine and Kokusai) is also easy. 3:Can enjoy nightlife in Otaru, Niseko and Sapporo. There are a lot of cheap properties within 1km away from the new Shinkansen station. I think it's because it's around 2030 when Hokkaido Shinkansen is coming to Otaru & Sapporo. I guess investment will come around the new Otaru Shinkansen in the future. The current Otaru station is Blue and the new Shinkansen station will be constructed in Red, closer to mountains.

There are many cheap properties within 1km away from the new Shinakansen station. If you own it mainly for family use + a tiny / hobby lodge business, I think you need 4 bed rooms. This 4LDK house is 7.8 million Yen. It's 15min walk or 5 min drive to the station. There are a lot of cheap lands for sale which are even closer to the new Shinaknsen station.
    [​IMG]

This land is only 500m away (5min walk) from the station and it's 1.8 million Yen. Unless I'm very confident that I can resell the property, I'll never build a new lodge, though(or if I were super rich). Personally, I'm curious how much this 5 min walk to the Shinkansen station land will be in 2030.
    [​IMG]

The property and the land to Tenguyama ski resort is about 2.5km = only 6 min drive (kind of walking distance, but not with ski gears for most people, I guess). It's a tiny ski resort but I like Tenguyama, especially night skiing. It's a unique ski resort in that it's very close to both the downtown of a relatively big city (Otaru) and the sea. The videos below are filmed at Tenguyama ski resort. https://tenguyama.ckk.chuo-bus.co.jp/en/

#710 Ramenman, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    susie2516, Hyst and Jacksong like this.
  11. Ramenman

A bit about properties around Tenguyama ski resort. Very cheap bus is running between Tenguyama and Otaru station, and a very cheap bus will run between Tenguyama and the new Otaru Shinakansen station. So, it's a great location for the people who want to spend some time in Sapporo - Otaru - Niseko. Now, we own ski lodges in Tohoku, so our winter base is Tohoku and I visit Hokkaido mainly in green season. I feel Hokkaido's green season is very popular among foreign tourists (especially from Asia). In that sense, having a cheap simple guest house very near the ropeway station might be good (can be popular all year around). This used house is only 1.3 million Yen and it's only 300m away from the ropeway station (only 3 or 4 min walk). 1.3 million Yen means I think you can buy it at 1 million Yen and you might need 10 million Yen to renovate to open as a simple cheap guest house. It's a quite good location, so, even if you spend 12 million Yen (including renovation), you can resell it at 8 million Yen. Then, capital loss is only 4 million Yen(I know it's quite rough estimation). I think 4 million Yen for a big hobby / a better life after retirement is quite cheap for most people (from relatively advanced rich countries). A small guest house, and it might not be profitable, but you can enjoy talking and drinking with your guests coming from all over the world, and you can ski at Tenguyama, Kiroro, Sapporo Teine, Sappro Kokusai, Niseko, Rusutsu, etc. To me, it sounds great. I'm a bit too young to think about my own retirement but that's my ideal retirement life:p
    https://suumo.jp/jj/bukken/shosai/JJ010FJ100/?ar=010&bs=021&nc=95253063

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#711 Ramenman, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Hyst and susie2516 like this.
  12. Ramenman

This guesthouse is at the bottom of Tenguyama. The website is well made, so it can help you feel what it is like to have a small guesthouse business there. The guesthouse is 11min walk to the ropeway station, so the used house (1.3 million Yen one) is a lot closer to the ropeway station (it's only 3 or 4 min walk) http://www.otaruskihouse.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ota...6ca0!2m2!1d140.9758852!2d43.1795354!3e2?hl=en

Jacksong and susie2516 like this.
  13. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Ramenman likes this.
  14. Ramenman

The property is only 6 min drive to Asarigawa Onsen ski resort and it seems Asarigawa Onsen installed a new lift and they newly opened two courses and one of them is a treerun course. New ツリーランゾーン is the new treerun course (black). The vertical drop of Asarigawa Onsen ski resort is 540m, so it's not too small. Plus, a golf resort is next to the ski resort and close enough to Sapporo Kokusai and Kiroro.
    [​IMG]
    The only 2.3 million Yen 5LDK house is Red. So, it's only 70m away from the "Log Pension Pine House".

The owner family clear the snow, so you don't need to worry too much, however, some people who have stayed at the lodge say you need 4WD for this steep road in winter.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@43.161...4!1sMGeBXU7gBAzEH0Pnd_YJaw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This is the 2.3 million Yen 5LDK house seen from Log Pension Pine House (as you can see, there are some newer properties in the vicinity)
    https://www.google.com/maps/@43.160...4!1sHft3JWjfipyAAZWUQgBtEQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

susie2516 likes this.
  15. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

If travel was possible, I would like to visit this property - it seems like an excellent location! I had a look on Google Earth and saw the newer homes on the same street - to me, this is a positive sign for the area. I'm curious about process for buying property in Japan. In Australia it's assumed that the cost is negotiable and a buyer usually makes an offer below the listed price. Is this the same in Japan?

16. Asama

Asama Addicted

Yes.

Assuming Australia is similar to the UK, one thing that I found very different was the lack of surveys and no solicitors (the estate agent acts as a quasi-solicitor in sorting out the contract documents).
    The seller is obliged to declare any fundamental issues (termites etc etc) and if you find undeclared major issues within a few months of buying, the seller is theoretically liable for repairs.
    With the exception of these major issues, 2nd hand houses are normally "as sold" (現況引き渡し)so the buyer accepts responsibility for other problems/clearing out rubbish and so on.

I went from first seeing my house to completing the purchase in around 1 month. My sister in the UK made an offer on a house months and months ago and it's still dragging on... So Japan is quick, but caveat emptor applies.

Proviso: I am not a lawyer!

susie2516 likes this.
  17. Ramenman

Speaking of the process, @Asama -san is answering;). I don't know what the process is like in Australia, so I actually can't compare. I'd say the prices are negotiable here too in most cases(when it comes to real estates):).

The graph below is the number of tourists from abroad visiting Hokkaido between April 1st of 2010 and March 31st of 2020 (You may think why March and April?. It is because Japanese fiscal & scholar year start in April and end in March). As you can see, it became about 6 times from 0.5 million to 3 millions in 7 years. The last year's drop is due to COVID-19(last year means between April 1st of 2019 and March 31st of 2020). Sapporo - Otaru - Niseko is a popular travel route, so I'm not worried about the region at all(if compared to most other ski regions of Japan):)
    [​IMG]

susie2516 likes this.
  18. Ramenman

The road between Asarigawa Onsen and Sapporo Kokusai is closed at night during winter, which makes the location of the property rather even better. I mean, the road is closed at night, so there aren't lodges along the road between Asarigawa Onsen and Sapporo Kokusai, so people who want to go to Sapporo Kokusai via Otaru need to stay a bit far away from the ski resort, which means, 20 min drive to Sapporo Kokusai can be a good location for the people who want to ski at Sapporo Kokusai (the property is about 20min drive to Sapporo Kokusai). Red = closed at night during winter (closed between 7pm and 7am)
    [​IMG]

Speaking of properties around Asarigawa Onsen ski resort, there are some pricey "almost" ski-in ski-out lodges for sale now. This is one of them. At the base of Asarigawa Onsen ski resort means 15 min drive to Sapporo Kokusai and it's the shortest drive seen from Otaru side. Here is the link : https://www.athome.co.jp/kodate/6967899319/
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

susie2516 likes this.
  19. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

Great video - shame about the crowds LOLLOLLOL. We had a day like this at Pippu two years ago, our family of four with just five other people on the mountain for the whole day. It was incredible. I think it cost around Y7500 for a family pass and a meal that we shared cost around Y1000. Best day ever.

fennekeg, Lucky Pete and Ramenman like this.
  20. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

Thanks for this insight, Asama. I have noticed that some homes for sale indicate that the furniture (and sometimes rubbish/junk) are part of the sale (ie: up to the buyer to either use or dispose of).

Ramenman and Asama like this.
  21. Ramenman

The video at Asarigawa Onsen above was filmed on February 9th, 2019(Saturday). February 11th is a Japanese national holiday (= National Foundation Day), so it was a long holiday weekend of Saturday - Sunday - Monday. So, it was one of the busiest days. Normal weekends are less crowded and weekdays are almost like your private ski resort, I assume:p
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Foundation_Day

susie2516 likes this.
  22. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Australia is not comparable with Britain. We have binding contracts. Having sold my MIL's house there recently - nightmare for buyers, gazumping is standard practice. Who ever turns up with the money first gets the property.

My experience is that Japan is relatively similar to Aus. Big difference for us was no mortgage. We engaged a scrivener to check and sort out titles. You get separate titles for the land and the buildings. Leasehold land is not uncommon, like ACT and National Parks. More something to be aware off rather than preventative. Also worth being aware that the development on a block may have changed since it was built on. Hence some really run down places don't get knocked down even though they are effectively rebuilt because they are not allowed to now build anything as big as the existing structure.

And don't be surprised if they want cash, as in yen notes. Nothing like organising a few million yen in cash especially when you don't have a bank account in Japan. Citibank Plus debit cards are your friend ;)

susie2516 and Asama like this.
  23. Ramenman

A bit about renovation. You'll often see a property whose condition looks very bad in a very good location. Such property is often available at 3 million Yen or less (It's just an example, though). The land price is supposed to be 4 million Yen, but demolition cost can be 3 million Yen, so the owner says the property is 2 million Yen. Such property can be a hidden gem sometimes because the renovation cost might be a lot cheaper than a lot of people think. If you use it only for family use, the location might not be that important, however, if you use it for small lodge business as well, location is very important, and such very bad condition in very good location properties can be hidden gems. This website has a lot of examples (a lot of before & after pictures and the prices). I'll show some examples here.

This renovation is only 2.88 million Yen
    https://www.miyako-reform.co.jp/construction/kodate0013/

2.34 million Yen
    https://www.miyako-reform.co.jp/construction/kodate0015/

4.27 million Yen
    https://www.miyako-reform.co.jp/construction/kodate0011/

1.75 million Yen
    https://www.miyako-reform.co.jp/construction/kodate0016/

This is a very full renovation, 11 million Yen
    https://www.miyako-reform.co.jp/construction/kodate0008/

You will often see this kind of bad looking properties in very good locations and they are often super cheap. If you think the location is quite good, it might be better to research how much it costs to renovate. Even if it costs 10+ million Yen to renovate, it might be still better in that good condition properties in good locations can be resold high. Plus, renovation process is fun (at least I like the process).

#723 Ramenman, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    susie2516 and Jacksong like this.
  24. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

IMG_0640.jpg
    That's my daughter, btw. We really enjoyed staying in Asahikawa after spending a few weeks travelling in central Hokkaido - can't wait to go back.

Ramenman likes this.
  25. Ramenman

Speaking of properties near Pippu ski resort and Asahikawa's downtown, this 6 bed room property (6SLDK) is located between Asahikawa station and Pippu ski resort. About 20 min drive to Pippu and 25 min drive to Asahikawa station. Only 2.9 million Yen.
    https://suumo.jp/chukoikkodate/hokkaido_/sc_asahikawa/nc_94540205/

20 min drive to Pippu
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pip...f9f989a007!2m2!1d142.4151433!2d43.8886452!3e0

It's just a result of my 5 min research. There are better ones (I guess). I'm not sure if you are interested in the region now but if you are, I'll show some more (if I can find some). I don't know the region much but now I'm a bit curious if I can find "interesting properties" which are "cheap enough" in the region.

susie2516 likes this.
  26. Ramenman

A good example is this property. It's a property that Yuzawa village's Akiya Bank has. It's just in front of Echigo Yuzawa station (less than 2 min walk to the Shinkansen station). The website doesn't have the price but the condition looks bad in pictures and it's 事故物件. 事故物件 is a Japanese real estate term which means properties in which murder, suicide, etc have happened and 事故物件 is hugely discounted in Japan. Personally, I'm willing to buy 事故物件 if it's hugely discounted. It has 7 bed rooms, ideal for family use + lodge business. Yuzawa is a very rare "winning ski resort region" in that Asian tourists rush to Yuzawa in recent years thanks to the great accessibility from Tokyo. So, just in front of Echigo Yuzawa station is a promising location IMO. I sometimes mentioned joint ownership. 7 bed rooms, so even if you own the property with 2 other people and each of you has an owner's room, you can use 4 bed rooms for guests.
    [​IMG]

The link : https://livelife.town.yuzawa.lg.jp/2020/12/11/010/#more-922

Unused for some years, the condition looks bad, it's on Akiya Bank not on a real estate website, 事故物件 (sad incident happened), etc, even though the location is good, I'd say the price will be very cheap (The owner only says "the price is negotiable" and doesn't say even a price range, so you need to ask, though).

Red is the where the property is. You see 4 lodge icons in the map, but none of them is closer to Echigo Yuzawa station than the property is.

ojisan, susie2516 and Jacksong like this.
  27. susie2516

susie2516 First Runs

:) Let me know if you find anything interesting and cheap! We only spent a day at Pippu and loved it although it is very small. The day we went, we'd intended on going to Kamui but for some reason the shuttle wasn't running (can't remember why) and Asahidake seemed a bit beyond me and my daughter's ability level (much to the husband and son's disappointment). From what I remember there isn't much in the way of a village at Pippu - it seems to spring up in the middle of flat, farm-land. Since joining this thread my interest in Otaru and surrounding areas has overtaken Central Hokkaido. I've been trawling the links you posted and there seems to be a range of properties offering good value. If travel was an option I'd be interested in getting more info on the house at the end of the cul-de-sac I mentioned in an earlier post.

Ramenman likes this.
  28. ojisan

ojisan station master Ski Pass: Gold

wow... needs some work but location is pretty handy.

M_G and Ramenman like this.
  29. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

This one in Ryuoo has sold. Started at 100m, dropped to 45m. Guessing it sold in the 30-40m range.

Ramenman likes this.
  30. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I wish them luck if they are going to run it as a lodge .

Goski, M_G and skichanger like this.
  31. skichanger

skichanger A Local

First issue will be getting a hotel license unless it had one before. But that has not been mentioned anywhere.

M_G likes this.
  32. Ramenman

If the property already has the license, it's easy. If not, the new owner of the property needs to apply for it. The process is not difficult for Japanese speaking people, however, most people here can't understand Japanese enough to apply for it. So, they'll need a specialist who can apply for it on behalf of them. Or, if it's a minimum lodge business like you let your friends stay at your lodge, making them pay a little for staying at your lodge, I think you don't need the license. I mean, it's not considered as "business".

M_G likes this.
  33. skichanger

skichanger A Local

It is not that simple if the building purpose when it was built is not "hotel". If it doesn't have a fire alarm system, and fire stairs and...

If you buy a building that has been an hotel before, yes it is simple. It has already met the requirements and it is just a case of updating some things and checking others.

34. Ramenman

There are four different kinds of lodging business licenses. ホームステイ型民泊 = Homestay Style is a newly made license and you don't need to meet the requirements for it but you only need to notify "I'll use this house for ホームステイ型民泊", that's all. ホームステイ型民泊 = small lodge business by use of a family use house. Most properties I've been posting on this thread are properties for ホームステイ型民泊 which doesn't require the owners to make fire escape stairs, etc(if it is ホームステイ型, you don't need a special renovation for it)

I'll write about it later. I mean, snow is waiting for me , so busy now!

Nozawaman likes this.
  35. Ramenman

When new businesses / services like Airbnb, Uber, etc appear, new related laws are made and they come into effect. In the wake of lodging business like Airbnb appearing, a new lodging business law / license was made in Japan and it came into effect in 2018. ホームステイ型民泊 = Homestay Style lodging business is the new license which came into effect in 2018. You only need to notify and you don't need to meet requirements. Well, more exactly, the house needs to have a kitchen, a bathroom and a toilet room. However, basically, a family use house has a kitchen, a bathroom and a toilet room, so basically there aren't any requirements (you won't need to renovate the property to meet the requirements for Homestay Style lodging license)

One thing you need to know is, if you open the lodge with Homestay Style lodging business license, you can have guests for only 180 days per year. I think the 180 day regulation was made to protect "serious business owners" who run the business with the conventional hotel business licenses which require the owners a lot of things such as fire escape stairs. As long as you open the lodge as a ski lodge, 180 days per year is very enough. And, in Japan, fiscal year is from April 1st to March 31st, so you can have the guests for 180 days between April 1st and March 31st.

#735 Ramenman, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    M_G and Jacksong like this.
  36. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

Thank you for the info Ramenman.

If the building has been a hotel previously, and is quite big, let's just say 10 tatami rooms, each tatami room is 8 tatami or bigger, so maybe up to 40 people can stay in the place, can it still be homestay style lodging business?

There is no restriction on how many people can stay for homestay style?

37. Ramenman

I remember when politicians were talking about the new law / license, there was a rumor that 5 guest room regulation would be added to the Homestay Style lodging license / law, however, the regulation on the number of guest rooms was not added in the end. The license is available in all 47 prefectures of Japan, however, each governor can add regulations to each district if they think they need the regulations. For example, some specific districts might have 90 day regulation, not 180 day regulation.

Basically, getting the new license = Homestay Style lodging license is quite easy without any strict regulations, however, before you buy a property, you should ask the real estate agency. If you don't understand Japanese language enough and you don't know Japanese related laws enough, you should hire an English speaking specialist when buying a property.

By the way, there are mainly two big reasons why Japanese government made the new license. Reason A: Inbound Tourism was the only industry which had been growing very rapidly, and they made the new license / law to make the industry grow further. Reason B: There are increasing number of unused houses in Japan because the population of Japan started shrinking and Japanese people love to build new houses than buying and renovating used houses. The new law / license is "Kill two birds with one stone"

Jacksong likes this.
  38. Ramenman

I think this property is very good for ホームステイ型民泊(Homestay Style lodging license). 3SLDK, only 5 min drive to Shimokura, 5 min drive to Panorama, 20 min drive to Appi Kogen, not too far to Amihari Onsen, Iwate Kogen, Shizukuishi, etc too. Not only that, the region is full of powder treerun backcountry / sidecountry terrains. The website has only one picture, but it's only 20 years old, the condition can't be that bad. And the price is only 4.8 million Yen and the owner says the price is negotiable, then 4 million Yen is possible. I think Japanese people renovate kitchen, bathroom, and toilet room every 20 years, which means, I think you don't need to spend much money for renovation in that renovating only kitchen, bathroom and toilet room doesn't cost much unless you want pricy ones. Edit: 3SLDK means you can only use 2 bed rooms for guests, however, it's very cheap and you can use the lodge for skiing in the region, so, the property can be ideal for family use + friend use + a very small lodging business.
    https://www.hachimantai-ss.co.jp/spa8/bukken/search.cgi?mode=view&no=75
    [​IMG]

This is the street view.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...22bf4e8d6dbfda!8m2!3d39.8989224!4d140.9706417

susie2516 likes this.
  39. skichanger

skichanger A Local

This is not really true because:
    My understanding is the law was brought in to have some control over homestays instead of it being open slather.

Also there are other rules, e.g. there was some rule about not leaving your guests unattended at your home or being away for more than a certain amount of time etc.

You need a fire warden if you have 30 or more people, not guests but people, sleeping in the building.
    You are meant to have done a food hygiene course to serve food.
    I am sure there are other rules as well.

It is not as simple as it is being made to seem.

M_G and Ramenman like this.
  40. Ramenman

As you wrote, if the lodge accommodates 30 people or more, the size of bed rooms for guests are larger than 50 square meters in total, etc, some regulations are added mainly for fire protection. However, most average Japanese houses have 5 bed rooms or less. Some houses have 7 bed rooms. However, even if the house has 7 bed rooms and you have 2 people in each room, the number of people in the house won't be bigger than 30. So, as long as using "average Japanese houses within 5 to 7 bed rooms", you don't need to meet those regulations in most cases.

However, even though we understand Japanese, before buying a property, we still hire a specialist or ask the real estate agency to confirm if we can start the lodging business by use of the property. Hence, there might be regulations that I don't notice. Anyway, my impression that I got from the people who've got the new license = it's easy to buy a used house and start a lodging business with the new Homestay Style lodging license.

41. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

Great info here thank you.

One thing I would add, if the house has 7 bed rooms (for example) it depends on the size of the room, how the occupancy is calculated. If each room is 10 tatami, the calculation is that that room can sleep 5 people (half the number of tatami = room occupancy - is it true?), so the occupancy of guesthouse is 35. Even if you say "but I will only have two people stay in this 10 tatami room" From what I understand, they will not accept that.

Obviously because the guesthouse owner could say, ok each room is just for 2 people, so I can get the easier license without all the restrictions such as fire warden. Then after you get the license, maybe a group of 3 want to come and you let them stay in that room.. So I guess the rule is there for that reason.

On a side note - I love the 'tatami' rule. I mean, a 10 tatami room is not actually that big, it would be normal for a room that size to be for two people anywhere else in the world. I wonder if this rule is still used if the house does not have tatami floor.

42. Ramenman

A bit more about Homestay Style lodging business license related to fire protection.

A:If the lodge accommodates less than 30 people + the size of bed rooms is less than 50 square meters + You are also staying at the lodge when your guests are staying.

- You only need to install a home use fire alarm at each bed room. One fire alarm is available at 3,000 Yen. Even if you install 7, it's cheaper than a pair of skis.
    [​IMG]

B:If the lodge accommodates less than 30 people + the size of bed rooms is less than 50 square meters + You are NOT staying at the lodge when your guests are staying.

-You'll need a bit more serious fire alarming system like the image below, however, if it's an average house, the total cost can be 200,000 Yen or less (even if it's a big house with many bed rooms, I'd say the total cost is less than 300,000 Yen)
    [​IMG]

-You need emergency exit light(s), but they are also very cheap, less than 10,000 Yen per light.
    [​IMG]

-There are inspections twice a year. But it's easy, it's just inspection staff visit your lodge to check if your lodge meets the regulations.

-You need to use fireproof carpets and curtains. They are just carpets and curtains, so they are also very cheap.

C: If the total bed room size is bigger than 50 square meters.

-The regulations are the same as B UNLESS your lodge is in a building of 11-story or bigger, or the total floor size is bigger than 6,000 square meters, which is very unlikely for the person who is going to start a lodge business with the new Homestay Style lodging business license(Edit: It might be for starting business by use of apartment rooms). If your lodge is in a building of 11-story or bigger, or the total floor size is bigger than 6,000 square meters, you need to install a sprinkler system.

So, the rule of the total bed room size of 50 square meters means almost nothing if you are NOT staying at the lodge when your guests are staying.

#742 Ramenman, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Jacksong likes this.
  43. skichanger

skichanger A Local

The allowed occupancy wrt hotel licenses depends on the type of "bed" you are licensed for. Western beds are 4.5 sqm, Japanese 3.3 sqm and back packer 1.8 (5?) per bed.

Local government and fire department are different wrt this. One of them you can specify how many people and the other they calculate it. Cannot remember which is which.

When I bought Chalet Myoko it was licensed for 16 people, an average of 2 per room, but had 40 "beds" in it. Even more if you actually counted all the futons. I am licensed for 22 people. I have 2 types of rooms that are almost identical in size, i.e. about ,2 sqm difference in size. One is licensed for 3 and the other for 4.

#743 skichanger, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Ramenman and Jacksong like this.
  44. Ramenman

By the way, even Japanese people use 行政書士 (Administrative Scrivener) to apply for Private Lodging Business licenses. Private Lodging is called / named "Minpaku" in Japanese. If you google "Minpaku Administrative Scrivener", you can find some websites for English speaking foreigners to start Private Lodging business = Minpaku with the help of English speaking Administrative Scriveners who are specializing in Minpaku. Asking them is 1000 times better than asking me. For example, here is one of them: http://www.minpakuhelp.com/en/team/
    (You can google by "Minpaku Administrative Scrivener" by yourself to look for other websites)

About Minpaku (New Private Lodging Business licenses which came in effect in 2018) : https://matcha-jp.com/en/6147
    [​IMG]

susie2516 and Jacksong like this.
  45. Ramenman

Edit: Now I'm not writing to Skichanger-san because she has lodging business here, so she knows related things quite a lot but I'm writing to average people on this thread.

I'd say many things are "just paper works". For example, in order to serve food, your lodge needs a restaurant license. For a restaurant license, you need a 食品衛生責任者(Food Hygiene Manager) license. The only thing you need to do to get Food Hygiene Manager is to take a food hygiene lecture that each prefecture set. It's usually 5 or 6 hours if I remember correctly. There is no exam for the license. Even if you don't understand Japanese at all, no problem. You'll get a certificate = license after taking the lecture.

There are 行政書士(= Administrative Scriveners) that help foreigners get Food Hygiene Manager license. Once you get the license, you can apply for a restaurant license for your lodge. You'll need the kitchen, fridge etc that meet the regulations. I think the barriers for foreigners are 1: Language 2: Understanding the related laws, regulations and restrictions. Administrative scriveners are specialists of the related laws, regulations and restrictions, so English speaking administrative scriveners can remove the both barriers in many cases. I was interested in a bit, so I googled. One administrative scrivener office say it's about 120,000 Yen to help a foreigner get a restaurant license. I'd say it's cheap.

Having said that, I think many of you don't need to serve food. Your guests will have lunch at a ski resort and have dinner at a restaurant nearby anyway. Breakfast? Konbini!. As I wrote, you'll need a kitchen, a fridge, etc that meet the regulations to get a restaurant license, so you'll need to pay a bit more for renovating your lodge.

46. skichanger

skichanger A Local

So far as I know you don't need a restaurant license to serve food to your own guests. But you do need to do the Food Hygiene course. You attend for the day, there is no exam. The main points are wash your hands, practice good hygiene, don't serve raw chicken, store food appropriately etc. All common sense.

At the beginning of the one I attended the guy running it asked people not to sleep after lunch. My translator though he was being funny. Most of the Japanese went to sleep after lunch.

fennekeg likes this.
  47. Ramenman

Now, this very good location property has become 0.65 million Yen (it was 1.3 million Yen last week)
    https://realestate.yahoo.co.jp/used/house/detail_corp/b0016572692/

It's less than 300m to Tenguyama ski resort (about 3 min walk)

48. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Looks good from the outside. No long driveway to clear snow from and nice treed areas across the (good condition) road.

49. Ramenman

A bit more about the property. The red is the land (=525 square meters). As you can see, there are some structures (storehouse, etc?) in Blue. The property is at 540m asl. Appi Kogen ski resort is roughly 500m - 1350m and the bottom lift of Shimokura ski resort is about 540m, so the altitude is as high as the base of ski resorts nearby. It's northern Tohoku, so once it snows at 500m asl, it doesn't melt in winter, which means, the property is nicely covered with snow during winter (it's good if you want to feel "I own a property in a snow country!").

This is a video about a couple who bought a property in the region. It's very close to the property above. It's a video that a major Japanese home builder Daiwa House made. Daiwa House are building houses there, so they made the video. The video was filmed in April and May, so it's not a winter video but you can feel what the region is like . Appi Kogen is in the video, but it was filmed in April, so there isn't much snow in the video.

The region in early Autumn.

I love Hachimantai region very much, and I've already shown quite many skiing videos of Hachimantai region in this thread, so I won't add skiing videos here this time:p (if you are interested in, just find and watch them in this thread, I think I've added 10 or more videos filmed in Hachimantai region in this thread)

By the way, Daiwa House are building houses near lake Inawashiro, where there are Inawashiro ski resort, Alts Bandai, Nekoma, Grandeco, Minowa, etc. This is a video that Daiwa House made for promoting their houses and lands in the region. They buy large lands in beautiful nature sites, selling the lands and houses there. They have the same projects at some different ski regions.

50. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

Good thing they show the houses in April, probably if potential owner see how much snow they need to clear during winter they might never buy in the region LOL

Goski, M_G and Ramenman like this.