1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource Japan Snow Country Realestate 2020 to 2070

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Scoober, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Oh, why is this lodge with 7 guest rooms inside Ishiuchi Maruyama ski resort is only 3 million Yen nowo_O?. They installed a new gondola and a new lift 2 years ago. Due to the very good accessibility from Tokyo, they (including Gala Yuzawa) have been attracting quite many tourists mainly from Asia in recent years. There must be reasons for the priceo_O.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ishiuchi Maruyama ski resort (in Yuzawa region)

Their new gondola / lift (installed 2 seasons ago, and another lift was installed too).
    [​IMG]

And this new ski center was also built and opened 2 seasons ago.
    [​IMG]

This is the link of the lodge : https://www.homes.co.jp/other/b-15500001301/

elSpike and Scoober like this.
  2. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We visited Ishiuchi 4 days..Great area with a great gondola. Yuzawa Echigo also nice town, Easy access from Tokyo :thumbs:

elSpike and Ramenman like this.
  3. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Maybe it is haunted? Termites? Looks too good to be a true price. There are obviously lots of options for a cheap property away from the major resorts.

4. Ramenman

I'll ask about it later but not now, because I'm supposed to be working now:p

Budgiesmuggler and Goski like this.
  5. Goski

Would that be a cold house in winter @Ramenman ? Aside from that it looks very good and it has a big bath.

6. mannyk

cold wombat likes this.
  7. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

8. Ramenman

They are actually not that bad. The price (only 0.48 million Yen = 6K AUD) is just because of oversupply. The apartment was built 31 years ago = amid the bubble economy era + crazy ski boom era. Yuzawa village is "Niigata Prefecture Yuzawa Village", but Japanese people sometimes tease Yuzawa by saying "Tokyo Prefecture Yuzawa Village" in that it's very easy short Shikansen ride from Tokyo to Yuzawa and quite many people in Tokyo bought those apartments during bubble economy era. 40+ years old people were buying them as second homes (their main homes were in Tokyo, where there were their working offices). Now, they are 70+ years old. 70 years old people were born during the crazy baby boom era after the world war 2. Then now in 2020, with a lot smaller number of 30 - 40 - 50 year old people + without a ski boom, those apartments tend to be oversupply. So, they are super cheap. After retirement, living there for 3 months every season to ski there might be good for retired couples, but it has only one small room, so you can't invite your children or grand children.

Hyst likes this.
  9. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I often think this would be epic!!

However sometimes it’s super nice to come home after a big day on the hill, chuck your PJs on and cuddle up on the couch with Netflix in peace and quiet.

However if the idea IS ever taking actual physical shape - hit me up! You never know!

10. Ramenman

Now I've got a reason, but I'm working now, so I'll write tonight:whistle:

11. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

What's the business case? (in a paragraph)

12. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Last time I was looking at 6 equal shares. $20/30k each, depending on renos. Near Yuzawa. Almost ski in. 200m walk to a cable car. 6 or 7 bedroom s on top floor. living areas on 1st floor and a basement. The place I was looking at actually had ensuites.

That place has probably sold. But there are others that would be similar.

13. Ramenman

In Japan, there is a rule / law that a house needs to be connected to a road. It is for fire trucks to approach the house to extinguish the fire. The rule is not applied to all houses / lodges in Japan. The rule is strictly applied to residental areas, and not very strictly applied to mountain lodges, etc. For some reason, the rule is applied to the area where the lodge is located. The lodge is not connected to a road but the lodge was built before the rule / law was made, so the lodge owner can keep having the lodge business there. The lodge owner is allowed to renovate the lodge but not allowed to rebuild it. Real estates which are not connected to roads tend to be cheap for the reason(You can renovate but can't rebuild). The image below explains the rule.

The Red in the image below is the lodge. It's a ski in ski out lodge which is not connected to a road. The owner needs to sell the lodge early, otherwise the lodge will become a scrap, and it means nobody will buy even the land because the person who buys the property can't build a lodge there. It seems the lodge was 6 million Yen last year, and it's 3 million Yen now. Considering the very good accessibility from Tokyo, I feel the ski resort is very potential. I haven't visited the lodge, so I can't judge the real condition, but judging from pictures that the real estate agency show, the condition isn't that bad. I felt total cost can be less than 20 million Yen (3 million Yen + less than 17 million Yen of renovation). It's a relatively small lodge as a business use lodge with 7 guest rooms, and I guess it won't cost that much to renovate it. If a ski in ski out lodge in Ishiuchi Maruyama is 20 million Yen, it sounds very cheap for me.

[​IMG]

#163 Ramenman, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  14. Ramenman

JMA has a weather station near the lodge at about 250m above sea level and average daily low temperature of the weather station in January is about -10 C and the coldest record is about - 23C. The lodge and ski resorts in the region are at higher altitude, so yes it's cold there but almost all lodges there are designed for us to feel comfortable in winter.

Speaking of the bath, onsen is supplied to most lodges in the region (the bath rooms of the lodges in the region = onsen comes out).

Goski likes this.
  15. Asama

Asama Addicted

I guess the owner just wants to get shot of it if they're not using it any more... as Pete says the various fees associated with apartment blocks no doubt become annoying and all the more so if you don't go there. Politics can also become involved if you're unlucky - friends who lived in a similar place near me spoke of inter-resident fighting over what the repair fund gets spent on. They ended up selling to whoever would buy and moving out.

Have vague memories of a TV news segment a few years ago about old people who were buying up these little apartments in Yuzawa because it's much cheaper than renting in Tokyo. I guess the state pension goes twice (or more) as far in Yuzawa.

16. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Sounds like a recipe for disaster LOLLOLLOL

17. Ramenman

A bit more about the ski lodge in the same place. The lodge and quite many lodges are in Red of the image below. The Red area is named / called "Naeba Fureai no Sato". The land belongs to Japanese government, and ski lodge owners keep paying about 0.3 million Yen or so per year (only 4K AUD per year). You can not own the land, but it's a national land (the owner is Japanese government), and I'd say you can think the land owner is very trustworthy and they won't suddenly say "You must pay 8K AUD per year". 4K AUD per year for the land (including snow clearing) is cheap and the lodges there are super cheap, so if you want to make initial cost as cheap as possible, lodges in Naeba Fureai no Sato might be good. It's only 5 - 10 min drive to Naeba ski resort.

A 27 year old ski lodge with 5 bed rooms in Naeba Fureai no Sato = only 1 million Yen.
    [​IMG]

This one, only 3 million Yen
    [​IMG]

A ski lodge in Naeba Fureai no Sato (filmed in January 12th, 2015). You see 374, it's the number of the land. Which means, there are at least 374 lands in Naeba Fureai no Sato?. We don't have a property there, so I don't know how many of lands there are in Naeba Fureai no Sato but it's for sure a number is given to each land (=each lodge) there like 104, 222, 374, etc.
    [​IMG]

A road in Naeba Fureai no Sato
    [​IMG]

This one is only 1 million Yen. You see the number is 324 (as I wrote above, it seems a number is given to each ski lodge / land there)
    [​IMG]

One of the world's biggest international rock festivals "Fuji Rock Festival" is held in Naeba ski resort every summer, so if you own ski lodge, you can use it in summer as well.

About Fuji Rock Festival (wikipedia) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuji_Rock_Festival

Pictures of Fuji Rock Festival (and it means how Naeba looks in summer)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=フジロック 森 風景&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwij6-_noLzrAhUDx2EKHbTuDpAQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=フジロック 森 風景&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoECCMQJzoCCAA6BggAEAgQHjoGCAAQBBAYOgQIABAYUND3AVi0uQJgxcMCaABwAHgAgAGTGYgB90SSAQ84LjAuMy4xLjAuMS45LTKYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=-xtIX-OBJYOOhwO03buACQ&bih=657&biw=1366

#167 Ramenman, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Scoober likes this.
  18. mannyk

I would be interested to see what the fees were. They have some fees listed but Im unsure how often they need to be paid?
    Its definitely something for us to look into. We have stayed in similar apartments many times so we know they are small. We would probably look for one a bit bigger. We can use it as a base for when we have more time to spend away.

19. Ramenman

It seems you need to pay about 20,000 Yen as maintenance fees per month. So, about 240,000 Yen = 3,000 AUD per year.

m2711c likes this.
  20. Goski

Thank-you for all of this research and explanation @Ramenman . It is odd that a bigger building would not have a road (or a driveway off the road) to it. If the land title goes to the road that is nearby a new driveway could be made but that could be expensive.

21. Asama

Asama Addicted

So in other words, after 2 years you have spent the same in management fees as the cost of the apartment :eek::cry:

22. Goski

I've been looking at a number of Naeba apartments for sale.
    As the apartment size goes up the monthly fees go up. There is also a land tax fee each year. Some buildings include a maintentance fund contribution in the monthly fee, others want an upfront contribution of 60,000 - 200,000 yen. There can be other fees e.g. some have buildings have parking fees, heating fees may be payable on top of the monthly fees. Better to find one that uses electric heating vs kerosene. The JPY 5,000 per month in the example below makes the apartment in the example more expensive than others. It is important that the building is well-occupied so there are enough owners to keep the maintenance fund topped up and that there are no big maintenance issues coming up thar are not funded.
    A friend has a small studio apartment with a tiny kitchen and little storage that he, his wife and two daughters use. They store food and drinks in the bath and use the building's shared bathing facilities to wash.

After doing some looking on the interweb, an indicative example of fees for a small 38sqm studio apartment like his costing between JPY10,000 to JPY 200,000 is:
    • Administrative expenses, reserve fund for repairs, etc.

Management fee (monthly)

17,200 yen (varies from 10,000-20,000)

Reserve and repair costs (monthly)

5,160 yen (varies from 2,500 - 6,000 and/or an upfront fee of 60,000 - 200,000 JPY)

total

22,360 yen

Supplementary information (haven't seen any buildings charging an extra heating fee, most seem to use electric heating which I would prefer - safer and cheaper. I presume the kerosene heats a boiler tha pumps water into hydronic heaters.)

[Heating fee (kerosene cost)] 10/1 to 6/30 500 yen/day or 5,000 yen/month (fixed) Settlement at the front desk
      [Water heater fund (optional)] 21,000 yen/year *In case of continuous renewal 17,000 yen/ Year *The amount may vary depending on the number of water heater fund subscribers

• Tax related information

Property tax (Reiwa 2)

About 54,500 yen

Town prefectural tax (per capita rate/annual amount)

5,000 yen

Registration license tax (once purchased)

About 78,900 yen

Real estate acquisition tax (once purchased)

About 160,000 yen

• Supplementary information

*Citizen tax varies depending on the size of the company if owned by a corporation

cold wombat and Ramenman like this.
  23. Ramenman

As you may know,

Actually, it's a very common price for apartments. I mean, supposing average price of a new apartment in Tokyo is about 50 million Yen (or more), even after buying the apartment and it's already your property, you need to pay 20,000 - 30,000 Yen per month as maintenance fees. In this case, maintenance fees are 管理費 (= maintenance fee) and 修繕費 (= reserve repair costs).

Even with some monthly / yearly fees and related taxes, I'd say it's economical if you ski in the region for 2 - 3 months per year. Good invest or not depends on how many days you are going to ski there per year (fortunately, there are many ski resorts in the region)

24. Goski

I'd budget $4,000 AUD a year for the fees which is the same for a house in the examples posted above but I would be adding more for insurance and maintenance for a house and for property tax if it is not covered by the 4K.
    For apartments, there is annual property tax on top of monthly fees and I'd expect a few miscellaneous fees could crop up e.g. in one building specific garbage bags must be purchased and car parking is not always free or you can pay an extra fee to get undercover parking. If you were there for 3 months it is cheap accomodation. If only there for a few weeks, not good value. Remembering as @Ramenman pointed out , short-term rentals are not allowed in most buildings and any guests must be accompanied by an owner. However, if it was bought by 2 or 3 owners and each used the apartment for a few weeks the annual costs look pretty good. These are tiny apartments, best suited to a couple. I too would want a bigger one to be sharing it with my two older kids and sometimes friends.

Ramenman likes this.
  25. Asama

Asama Addicted

Obviously joint ownership slashes the cost per person, but what happens when one of the owners decides it isn't for them any more? I'd worry about the exit strategy...

26. Ramenman

This is the number of foreigners who visit Gala Yuzawa. 2015 - 2016 season = 20,000. 2016 - 2017 season = 42,000. 2017 - 2018 season = nearly 60,000. 2018 - 2019 season is not included in the graph, but I read the number was about 80,000. So, the number became 4 times in 3 years (from 20,000 to 80,000). The population of ASEAN + Taiwan is nearly 700 millions. Basically, you never see snow in those countries. Most people in China don't live near ski resort regions and even Chinese ski resort regions are dry (they use artificial snow), so even for 1.4 billion Chinese people, abundant snow in Japanese ski resort region is something they want to experience. After COVID-19 panic, I assume more and more Asian tourists will visit Gala Yuzawa (and Ishiuchi Maruyama) because it's the most accessible ski resort from Tokyo.
    [​IMG]

27. Ramenman

When I was a teenager, my parents already had a ski lodge. When I was an university student, the gigantic earthquake hit and Fukushima's nuclear power plant incident happened, which made ski lodges in Aizu region super cheap even though the region was / is actually very safe and the radiation level was / is as same as London, NY, etc. I felt it was time to buy a ski lodge there. I used to belong to a big ski club of a university in Tokyo that I used to go to. 10 other ski club members were interested in joint ownership. Each of us asked our parents to support our plan and all of us were students but could buy a ski lodge. Now only 5 own the ski lodge. If the ski lodge is 15 million Yen and 5 people buy it, it's 3 million Yen per person. If one of them loses interest in the ski lodge, the rest 4 people pay about 2 million Yen or less to the person. It's what we've been doing and it's simple.

28. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Last ski season was rubbish.

29. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Nice way to potentially end up being the sole owner of the ski lodge with an affordable and delayed payment plan!

30. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Joint ownership often ends in tears.....

M_G, telenomore and Scoober like this.
  31. skichanger

It is like strata or community title. Sometimes it works well. Sometimes it results in conflict.

Scoober and Ramenman like this.
  32. Goski

Off-topic perhaps but I think an item relevant to the proposition of buying a property in Japan is access to a car.
    I'm interested to know what people who have a property and regularly stay for 2-3 months a year do for transport.

A place like Naeba doesn't have a regular village shuttle for skiers (snowboarders also are allowed to use it (tic)) like Niseko or Hakuba or Nozawaonsen do if staying in the village areas. The regular public transport bus comes through the apartment blocks areas on half hours. I'd assume a house wouldn't be on a bus route and if I was staying longer in an apartment or a house I would want a car to go to onsens and to other ski fields, to Yuzawa town for dinner and groceries, to go on demand to Naeba ski field itself and to the ropeways to Kagura without waiting for a slowish bus which may not run in the evening. I imagine it is the same for lesser known areas too plus a cr is often recommended to get the most out of staying in the Hakuba and Myoko Kogen areas. It's an easy call for a week or two but for a longer stay the cost adds up however the desire to go further afield would go up too.

This website says a tourist can buy a car
    https://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-...Buying & Owning A Car In,a car while in Japan.
    BUT, as I understand it , a person on just a tourist visa can NOT buy and register car in Japan. Regardless, if a party is only using it for a couple of months a year the hassle and cost of storing it somewhere and paying for insurance and a road test every two years doesn't seem worth it. You must prove you have a car spot unless it is a small 600cc "Kei Car", (these are exempt in most in rural areas?). If it could be stored undercover in the apartment building or in the garage of the house it could be more attractive to own one but then you have the expense of travelling to and from the apartment at the start and end of the stay. 9 or 10 months of it sitting idle probably isn't a good idea. Costs seem to be about $1,000 per annum for taxes and compulsory third party insurance and allowing for the Shaken roadworthy test every 2-3 years plus collision insurance. With all, that hiring a smaller car with snow tyres on a longer term contract makes sense to me even if I were able to buy a car in Japan but expected to be there for only a maximum of 2-3 months a year.

33. Goski

Why having a place I and my wife own and be able to rent it to friends is more attractive but this isn't very doable in apartment buildings where the owner's association will keep a close eye on such practices. I would follow the rules which is good to do anyway but more so in Japan where "trying it on" (rule bending/breaking) will not be tolerated well. Getting a business visa seems key to an easier time owning a property and then be able to have a mobile phone (not just a data SIM) and a bank account and to be able buy a car if so desired.

Lucky Pete likes this.
  34. Goski

Lucky Pete likes this.
  35. Goski

I think an agreement in writing would be needed. Like with Ramenman's lodge he now owns with 4 others, down from 10 shares, the other owners would need to be prepared to buy out the party who is opting out and how much could depend on when they opt out e.g. before or after the ski season. Would work better if there are clear preferences in which weeks are wanted. With kids, January, without kids, February into March but if everybody wants January for snow quality....better be a house or a bigger apartment with easy-going friends you are comfortable living closely with.

36. Goski

So the resort is at the train station? Get off the train and walk to the ski lift? So easy!

37. Asama

Asama Addicted

38. Ramenman

Actually, Yuzawa's apartments are very famous as "remains" of Japan's bubble economy + crazy ski boom of late 1980s and early 1990s. Some of them are almost 0 Yen, but still, many of them are unsold because annual cost can be 300,000 Yen = 4,000 AUD (maintenance fees, etc). Not many people spend 300,000 Yen for hotels for skiing per year, so even if it's 0 Yen, the apartments can be unsold. Average Japanese people ski weekends ,skiing on Saturday, staying at a hotel and skiing on Sunday, so one night stay = 2 skiing days. Supposing staying at a hotel for skiing cost 10,000 Yen per person per day, Japanese people need to ski for 60 days or more (= 30 night stays at hotels) per year, otherwise, buying 0 Yen apartment can be still more expensive than staying at hotels. So for Japanese people, 0 Yen apartment is not very attractive.

However, it can be economical for tourists from abroad who like to ski for more than a month every year. Your partner and you = 20,000 Yen per night. One month = 600,000 Yen. Then, buying such cheap apartment can be cheaper (some lodges have long stay plans, which are very economical, though). The only problem is, once you own an apartment in a ski region, you'll end up skiing in the same region. However, fortunately, Yuzawa region and the vicinity have quite many ski resorts, so, they might be able to enjoy for a month or more.

This Japanese news article is interesting. Apartments in Yuzawa village which used to be 30 million Yen (or even more) are almost 0 Yen now, but still some of them are unsold. The people who bought the apartments 30 years ago are 70 years old or older now. At this rate, those apartments are likely to become like "aged care homes" in 2030LOL
    https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/16413918/

#188 Ramenman, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  39. Goski

Haha yes, and thanks for the correction. Another Google Chrome failure. 18万円 was translated as 18 yen when the web page was translated by Chrome but 万円 does translate to be 10,000 yen in the Google Translate mobile app. With 180,000 yen only being $2,300 , it is still very little when we are used to studio apartments being maybe 60k - 90k AUD in our domestic resorts.

40. Goski

From the article, the implication that living in some of the apartment mansion buildings has drawbacks in amenity.
    "At large public baths, solid waste products are often found in hot water. What used to be a gorgeous resort condominium, is now a day service facility where the elderly spend their time together."
    Knowing the demographic and interests of the building is obviously important. The apartment buildings in Yuzawa town are I think much more likely to be "retirement villages" than the ones in Naeba where more occupants are there because they still can go skiing and hiking.

41. mannyk

Great article...I didnt know any of this, we happened to stay in Yuzawa and liked the fact that it was easy acces to Tokyo and surrounds. Also easy access by the Shink or car to other areas.
    But I can now see why the price, as the saying goes "if its too good to be true it probably isnt"
    Still a thought a few years down the track in retirement.

42. mannyk

As I have said we were there in Feb and I couldnt understand why it seemed like a ghost town with all the apartments there, also I did'nt find the restaurant scene friendly or any real qty. At least 2 told us to move on..
    edit Naeba

43. Asama

Asama Addicted

Simple, as long as everyone has plenty of disposable cash in their bank accounts ;)
    So when someone drops out, they are paid back what they originally put in + whatever they have paid to other members who dropped out before them? That means when it gets to the last couple of owners, you will need a ton of cash, or the remaining owners collapse like dominos?
    I'm not criticising (it's none of my business after all), just curious how this system works.

44. Ramenman

The article says that it's a tragedy, but it can be a good buy for some people on this forum. It is a tragedy for the Japanese people who spent 30 million Yen during the bubble economy era even though they are not very interested in skiing. If you like skiing in Japan for more than 2 months every year and it is less than 1 million Yen, it can be a good buy.

The annual cost (maintenance fees) is used for renovation, cleaning, etc, so the condition is relatively good even now and they were expensive apartments, so, many of them have swimming pools and gyms too. I very often see 75 or older skiers in my regions. It means, we can still enjoy skiing at 75 years old, and skiing can help us keep young and healthy. If you are 60 before retirement, you can use the apartment for skiing, green season hiking, travelling Japan, etc as much as you want for 15 years, so, it can be a good buy.

#194 Ramenman, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Scoober likes this.
  45. Ramenman

It's also simple. For example,

If it is 15 million Yen, 5 joint owners = 3 million per each. Even if one drops out, he / she can only get 2 million Yen. 1 million Yen is a kind of "penalty". Another case is, if two people say "we want to drop out". The rest 3 need to pay 4 million Yen (1.33 million Yen per person). They need to pay 4 million Yen but they are given 3 - 5 years. If the 3 people think "we can't prepare 4 million Yen within 3 - 5 years", they resell it together. If someone buys the lodge at 20 million Yen, 5 million Yen capital gain for them (1 million Yen per person). If it is sold at 10 million Yen, the capital loss is 5 million Yen (1 million Yen per person).

It's not exactly the same as our rules (a bit more complicated) but we have similar rules.

cold wombat likes this.
  46. Asama

Asama Addicted

Ah OK, I understand now. Dropping out = losing out. Dropping out later = losing out more (because you have already paid to buy out from other owners and you lose that money)... so you are incentivised to stay in. Cunning.

47. skichanger

Yeah 18 man. Google translate often gets it wrong.

48. Ramenman

It can end in tears. It depends on with whom you own the property (and a bit of luck too). With family is by far the best.

Realistically, I do think 95% people on this forum have to choose joint ownership for several reasons unless they are very rich or they are already living in Japan. If they are very rich, money can solve everything. If they are living in Japan, they can take care of the lodges by themselves while keeping the lodge open all year around. If they are not very rich nor living in Japan with a proper visa, even if they buy lodges, they can't make the most of the lodges because they can open the lodges only for a month or so in winter because they have jobs back in their home countries, so they can't stay in Japan for that long.

Joint ownership solves the 3 most difficult problems. Problem A = The difficulty of keeping the lodge open for long enough every winter. Joint ownership means you can keep the lodge open for long enough. Problem B = There are many very cheap lodges in Japanese ski resort regions, but still, they are a bit costly (and risky) for "average people". Joint ownership means financial burden can be very small enough even for average people. Problem C = When it comes to a lodge business, most people on this forum are "amateurs". How they can get enough guests?. Owner = salesperson. Joint ownership means more salespeople = easier to attract more guests.

49. Pelm1

Pelm1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Are you out of paradise ? Great song..

50. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Yes mate :cry: