Japan trains, buses, internal flights, car hire, discounts

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
My little sister hired a car at 19 this year, had to pay a premium though for the younger age.
Cool, thanks Froff. Before going though the exercise myself, thought I'd try and find an easy answer - re the age.
They will pay probably max $400 each in overland transport, thus the reason for me thinking car hire between the 3 of them would be much better (if possible, and closeish price wise).

Reactions: Froff Life

nickGT

Early Days
Jun 2, 2015
Quick question - I'm meeting a friend at Narita before travelling into Tokyo together. I get into Terminal 3 and he get's into Terminal 1 (around an hour before me). Is it easy to travel between t1 and t3? We're going to be in a bit of a rush.

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
If you're tired of travelling around Tokyo with a paper map of the subway I've found this android app a great help.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.tokyometro.tokyosubwaynavi&hl=en

Shows a subway map and provides route details of how to get between two stations even with multiple trains. Also works offline so no internet connection needed once downloaded. Apple phones probably have a similar app.

jab1966

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2005
Christchurch
Visit site
@Born2ski are you catching the train to naeba , if so any chance you could see if there is any luggage storage at Echigo Yuzawa station as may have a few hours to spare there so if we can ditch luggage we can have a look round. Looking good for snow for you after Thursday!!!cheers

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
@jab1966 Sorry didn't see your original post until we'd already gone through Yuzawa station. I'll be back down there on Friday afternoon so I'll try to remember to have a look at locker sizes then. Are you after ski size or just for large bags ?

jab1966

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2005
Christchurch
Visit site
@Born2ski , no stress at all and don't make any special trips, but if you are there, was looking at something to fit a snowboard bag 165cm long as thought we could get to yuwaza early and have a look around and then head to the prince later in the day. Do you think the prince bus booking office at the station would hold luggage? Looking at the JR site I reckon the lockers are the smaller ones but u never know. Hope the hols going well. Cheers

Karbon

Hard Yards
May 5, 2010
Adelaide
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before so apologies in advance.
5 of us are transferring from Narita to Nagano by Narita Express and bullet train on Jan 21.
Will we need to reserve seats in advance or will be ok to just rock up on the day?

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before so apologies in advance.
5 of us are transferring from Narita to Nagano by Narita Express and bullet train on Jan 21.
Will we need to reserve seats in advance or will be ok to just rock up on the day?
First one yes, second one no.

To clarify...

You can just rock up ON THE DAY, but the Narita Express needs reserved seats or you can't get on, while the Shinkansen has either reserved or non reserved. Non reserved is not substantially cheaper than reserved however.

Reactions: M_G

Karbon

Hard Yards
May 5, 2010
Adelaide
To clarify...

You can just rock up ON THE DAY, but the Narita Express needs reserved seats or you can't get on, while the Shinkansen has either reserved or non reserved. Non reserved is not substantially cheaper than reserved however.
Thanks

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Don't need to reserve in advance. I think you need to reserve seats on the NEX but just when you arrive at Narita. You can gets tickets at Narita for the Shinkansen and reserve seats also if you want but there is no need. They will have unreserved cars that you can just jump on.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
That's what I'll be doing, getting my tickets for NEX and Shinkansen (reserved as traveling at certain time) once I land in Narita (term 2).

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Sometimes it's worth paying the bit extra to reserve a seat on both, especially if you have lots of gear or a larger group.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Actually, looking into Hyperdia (again!), I realised I will not be taking the NEX, but Keisei Skyliner (staying in Ueno for 1 night)..

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Sometimes it's worth paying the bit extra to reserve a seat on both, especially if you have lots of gear or a larger group.
The cost of a reserved seat on the Shinkansen is quite small (usually 300-400yen), but might be convenient for the reasons above.
The "seat fee" mentioned in Hyperdia is not a reserved seat fee, but actually the "express train fee", which confuses some people.

daveintheshade

First Runs
Jan 6, 2016
Hi - first time poster here - so i hope im in the correct spot.
Heading to Asahikawa town at end of feb and planning to stay in town and drive to local resorts.
Has anyone here done this? Specifically - has anyone hired a car in town? Wheres the best/cheapest place to hire?
Thanks in advance..

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
On Monday 4th of Jan we travelled on the shink up to Yuzawa and I walked through all of the eight carriages and this is what I found -

1 - The top level of the double decker shink was more full than the nearly empty bottom level.
2 - The top level in the reserved carriages was nearly full while top level in unreserved was maybe 25-50% full.

Conclusion - the bottom level in the unreserved carriages is the best place if you want lots of space. I found this was the same last year as well.

Gamera MC

Hard Yards
Aug 12, 2014
After some advice for luggage transport/storage before the flight home.
Will be travelling from Myoko to Nagano, and then to Tokyo.
Have a flight to catch at haneda @ 10:50 am.
Am presuming will have to leave Myoko on the previous day, and spend the night in tokyo to safely make the flight the following morning?
Haven't decided yet if going to try and snowboard on the day before the flight, or head back to nagano and then tokyo first thing in the morning. (Responses here will play a big part in this)
Question being what to do with snowboard bag during this time.
I'm thinking it will be too short of a time for takkyubin to arrive (could be somewhere between 24-48 hrs)?
Had a quick look around, found an old thread on coin lockers etc but am still not confident either way. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/coin-lockers-at-tokyo-central-station.41669/

Does any1 have some more recent experiences? Not keen to lug snowboard bag around Tokyo.
Would be nice if takkyubin was feasible, if not, what storage options are there for snowboard bag around tokyo train station?

Thanks in advance!

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Not sure about Tokyo specifically, but Kyoto at the major JR station there is oversized luggage storage, assuming there would be some at the major stations in Tokyo too?
From memory it was about $3 per item per day

Reactions: Gamera MC

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
After some advice for luggage transport/storage before the flight home.
Will be travelling from Myoko to Nagano, and then to Tokyo.
Have a flight to catch at haneda @ 10:50 am.
Am presuming will have to leave Myoko on the previous day, and spend the night in tokyo to safely make the flight the following morning?
Haven't decided yet if going to try and snowboard on the day before the flight, or head back to nagano and then tokyo first thing in the morning. (Responses here will play a big part in this)
Question being what to do with snowboard bag during this time.
I'm thinking it will be too short of a time for takkyubin to arrive (could be somewhere between 24-48 hrs)?
Had a quick look around, found an old thread on coin lockers etc but am still not confident either way. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/coin-lockers-at-tokyo-central-station.41669/

Does any1 have some more recent experiences? Not keen to lug snowboard bag around Tokyo.
Would be nice if takkyubin was feasible, if not, what storage options are there for snowboard bag around tokyo train station?

Thanks in advance!
- You won't make the flight going Myoko - Nagano - Tokyo on that morning.
- Snowboard the day before, the Nagano and stay there, then Tokyo in the morning won't work either.
- Takkyubin not an option
- So I'd snow board until about 3pm previous day, go to Nagano - Tokyo and stay the night in Tokyo.

Gamera MC

Hard Yards
Aug 12, 2014
- You won't make the flight going Myoko - Nagano - Tokyo on that morning.
- Snowboard the day before, the Nagano and stay there, then Tokyo in the morning won't work either.
- Takkyubin not an option
- So I'd snow board until about 3pm previous day, go to Nagano - Tokyo and stay the night in Tokyo.
Thanks Sandy, makes sense. Alternate option is leave Myoko in the morning of the day before flight, and spend the arvo in Tokyo. Depending on where we stayed, presume could leave the bags @ accom prior to check in. i.e get to Tokyo, get to accom, ditch bags, enjoy Tokyo. Either option requires same amount of dual bag punishment, just depends if the crew wants an extra half day riding or to spend some time in Tokyo I suppose. Good problem to have :cheers:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Thanks Sandy, makes sense. Alternate option is leave Myoko in the morning of the day before flight, and spend the arvo in Tokyo. Depending on where we stayed, presume could leave the bags @ accom prior to check in. i.e get to Tokyo, get to accom, ditch bags, enjoy Tokyo. Either option requires same amount of dual bag punishment, just depends if the crew wants an extra half day riding or to spend some time in Tokyo I suppose. Good problem to have :cheers:
that would work.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Never had a problem leaving bags at hotel prior to check in or after checkout and heading to airport. No need for lockers. Whether you decide to ski before travelling or not should make no difference.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2015
Last year tried to purchase Shinkansen tickets on the teller machines at Tokyo Central Station, was not successful, couldn't get both tickets, has anyone been successful? Any tips, would save the long queue...

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Not sure if these have been posted on here (and how new) but some discounts for those travelling (without rail pass) via Keisei and also wanting to get around Tokyo on the subway. 1 to 3 day passes available.

ysn3fFf.jpg

Fp4Z2GI.jpg

Looks okay I guess. Thoughts?

Reactions: spunk72

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yeah its great.
I used last time I was there.
Got the two day subway ticket.
Its usable on nearly all of the subways.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Yeah its great.
I used last time I was there.
Got the two day subway ticket.
Its usable on nearly all of the subways.
Can the multi day subway passes be used on any day?
Say if I get the return + 2days and use 1 day at the start before heading out to the mountains, then 1 day on return back to Tokyo before flying out?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
That's why the NEX/Suica deal was so good... was 3500yen for NEX (Tokyo or Yokohama) plus a Suica with 1500yen on it!!! By the time you got the 500yen back on the card, it was 1500yen for the NEX. Was an ok deal for Tokyo, but dynamite deal for Yokohama!!!

Dave.Ski

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
The return leg on the Skyliner can be used whenever, you get a ticket to trade for a seat reservation on the day/train you want to use it on.

Reactions: Crispy013

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Thanks for that, sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I saw that they had lockers but It didn't say the size, did you see them and are they the larger ones? Looks a bit thin snow wise for u at the moment, but hopefully that will all change soon.:)
Had a look at the lockers yesterday afternoon, the largest ones would take a large suitcase but not long enough to take a snowboard.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
#################

The Hokkaido Shinkansen will operate from Tokyo to Sapporo starting from March!!!

One of the stations is Kutchan, just near Niseko

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
JR Hokkaido and JR East announced on Wednesday that operation of the Hokkaido shinkansen which will connect Shin-Hakodate Hokuto in Hokkaido with Shin-Aomori via the Seikan Tunnel is scheduled to start next March 26. It will bring the bullet train service to Hokkaido for the first time.

Are you sure it's to Sapporo and not just to Hakodate? It's not meant to reach Sapporo until late 2020's or 2030.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Hokkaido Shinkansen will reach Niseko in 2025 and Sapporo around 2030. It reaches Hakodate this March. Hokkaido is big, the population density is low and there are a lot of mountains inbetween, so it will take a long time to reach Sapporo unless JR Hokkaido reschedule it.

Last edited:

Dave.Ski

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
A quick question, what are peoples' experience with fitting skis inside small rental cars without racks? I'm looking at something like a Mazda 3 and hoping skis will fit into the boot with a split fold rear seat.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass