1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan trains, buses, internal flights, car hire, discounts

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Sandy, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Times Parking is the most well known parking service here in Japan and they have long term contracts as well that you can use for 車庫証明 ( = parking space certificate). As you said, Shimane is super cheap. About 3,000 Yen per month is available in Shimane while it can cost 20,000 - 50,000 Yen around Shinagawa station (it's a Shinkansen station of Tokyo). Edit 1 : You can find 6,600 Yen per month in Tokyo too (I spent about 3 mins to find cheap ones in Tokyo and 6,600 Yen per month was the cheapest) https://times-info.net/monthly/P13-tokyo/C201/park-detail-BUK004493201/
    [​IMG]

Edit 2 : I've found even cheaper one. 6,285 Yen per month (it's in Tokyo)
    https://times-info.net/monthly/P13-tokyo/C205/park-detail-BUK003117501/

Hyst likes this.
  2. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

But back to the original question:
    So Japanese national without resistance and witout mynumber (yes, that old:headbang:) can get car registration?
    I know other do it through family - but just would like to know for future retirement- but not going to settle in Japan.

3. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You need a registered Hanko from what I know. But somehow people on working holiday visas buy cars.

Hyst likes this.
  4. Ramenman

It's a matter of 車庫証明 = parking space certificate. For 車庫証明, you basically need an address. Most people living abroad use the addresses of their family or close friends. Without their help, I'm not sure if you can or not. I'll google about it later.

Hyst likes this.
  5. Ramenman

By the way, buying and keeping owning a car is basically more costly than renting a car unless you stay in Japan for quite a long time every year. You really need to own a car in Japan?. I assume hiring monthly rent-a-car is better for most people.

Hyst likes this.
  6. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This is correct. You need a registered Hanko to buy or sell a car AND, you need to go to the Ward office to get a CURRENT certificate (within 3 months, I think) to verify that the Hanko is registered.

Hyst likes this.
  7. Ramenman

It seems the people living abroad don't need Hanko, however, they need "address" in Japan.
    https://active-gyoseisyosi.com/touroku/kaigai-touroku/#:~:text=結論からいきますと,ますが条件があります。&text=※日本で車庫証明,必要があるためです。

Hyst likes this.
  8. Ramenman

You want to own a car in Japan instead of renting a car. Then, you'll stay in Japan for a very long time every year (more than 4 - 5 months). Staying in Japan for 4 - 5 months every year means you'll rent or buy a house / apartment room, right?. Then, you can use the address for 車庫証明. Staying at a hotel, etc, you can "not" get 車庫証明.

Hyst likes this.
  9. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Thank you everybody - don't spend more time - I was just gathering info.
    Good link!!!! :thumbs:

10. Asama

Asama Addicted

Late to the party - but if it's a kei car don't need hanko, and I was never asked about 車庫証明 either (may depend on location).
    Kei cars rule.

11. Ramenman

That's really great!. I didn't know Kei cars don't need 車庫証明. I googled, and yes, as Asama-san wrote, you basically don't need them except some specific cases. Specific Case A = You are living within 30km from the center of Tokyo and Osaka. Case B : You live in the capital cities (Japan consist of 47 prefecture, so there are 47 capital cities). Case 3 : You are living in a city whose population is bigger than 100,000. Most ski resort villages are none of A, B and C. For example, Yuzawa is not a capital city of Niigata Pref, far a way from the center of Tokyo / Osaka and the population is a lot smaller than 100,000. So, you can own Kei cars without 車庫証明, which means, almost anybody (people living abroad) can own Kei cars here in Japan, which is great.

Among Kei cars, Daihatsu Wake is one of the biggest. Daihatsu was promoting the car "4 people with ski gears can go to ski resorts in Daihatsu Wake". Daihatsu Wake was released in 2014, so it's relatively a new Kei car and it means the oldest used Wake for sale is 6 years old, relatively new, so it can be more expensive than other big Kei cars. I googled and the cheapest used Wake are around 0.5 million Yen. It doesn't have to be Wake, I mean, there are many other big sized Kei cars which are cheaper (That said, they are Kei cars, so they are small if compared to "normal" cars).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, if it's a Kei car, you don't need 車庫証明, so you can hire a monthly - yearly parking service like Times Parking. In ski resort regions, 5,000 Yen per month can be available. So, buying a used Kei car and keeping it at a parking lot of Times Parking can be cheaper than renting a car if you stay in Japan for a quite a long time every year.
    [​IMG]

Edit : There might be another obstacle, so it might not be that easy.

#2711 Ramenman, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Hyst likes this.
  12. Ramenman

Kei cars don't require you Hanko or 車庫証明 (= parking space certificate) but you need to prove where you are living now instead. For the people living in Japan, 住民票 is used. 住民票 is an official paper that proves where you live. You can own properties in different cities / prefectures, but each person has only one 住民票 address (You pay income tax, etc to the city which your 住民票 address belongs to). 住民票 is only valid for 3 months while a Japanese driving license is valid for 5 years. So, 住民票 is more reliable to show where the person is currently living. For the reason, 住民票 is required. However, some websites say people living abroad without 住民票 can buy cars in Japan if they can prove where they live now (for example, by use of 在留証明書 = it's the certificate that proves you are living in a specific city abroad now).

#2712 Ramenman, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Hyst likes this.
  13. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

JR East is releasing a 3-day unlimited travel pass for all of Kanto and Tohoku that all foreign passport holders (regardless of visa status!) can buy. Look at the map for all the areas you can explore using JR Shinkansen and local trains. You can buy these passes from October 16, 2020.
    https://www.eastjapanrailway.com/pass/wrp.html

14. Sandy

That's a great deal, since I can actually use this!!!! Pity it's only up to Feb 28th. And I reckon 5 days would be better!! ;)

M_G and fennekeg like this.
  15. Ramenman

The link says 3 consecutive days. If I remember correctly, the old pass could let us choose 3 days out of 14 days (the pass was valid for 14 days and you can use the pass for 3 days). 3 consecutive days means you can use it only for a short trip unfortunately. Still a good deal, though.

16. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Don't see any value in it personally. Maybe perfect if you were in Tokyo and wanted a quick weekend trip away. But no use for extended travel in Tohoku which most visitors would be after. The old 4 days in 14 flexi pass for the same region was ideal. Less so when they split Tohoku and Niigata/Nagano.

17. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I feel its for non skiing type people..

Tonester likes this.
  18. Sandy

There's a difference..... any JR pass for access to Tohoku was ALWAYS just for VISITORS to Japan. This one can be used by foreign passport holders who are ALSO residents, so I can actually use this.... yes, it would be better if it was 5 days, but it means I can get all the way to Aomori and back for 12,000yen, instead of 36,000yen round trip.
    The only pass that can normally be used by foreign residents is the JR Kanto 3 day pass.

IMO, this is clearly aimed at foreign passport holders who are also residents, since nobody else can get INTO Japan.
    And it's actually good for those foreign residents working, where they can take a weekend skiing to a place further afield.
    In fact, the reason I haven't gone to Tohoku skiing is because of the prohibitive cost of the the Shinkansen.
    So for example, I could buy TWO of these for 24,000yen, heading to Appi Kogen, and it would still be cheaper than 33,100yen I would normally pay.

The old JR East 4 day flexi used to cost 20,000yen for 4 flexible days in one month... This could be used by visitors in a similar way, for the majority of travel at either end of 4 weeks for example, and for skiing for 24,000yen.
    (##The current 6 day flexi is around 20,000yen for 6 days in 14days)

M_G, fennekeg and PMG like this.
  19. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

True, that does appears to be who it is aimed at. With 2 hours Shinkansen to Morioka and another hour travel to one of several ski areas including Appi you could get 3 days skiing in.

20. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As we dont need to go into Tokyo over night anymore(unless I need/want to buy more skis) we cant use Black cat to get our gear to Shiga Kogan from Narita without loosing a day. We always stay the first night at Narita but thats not enough time still. Our preference so far for ease is the Nagano snow shuttle, direct to the door. That to is quite expensive about the same as the NEX/Shinkansen/bus from Nagano as I remember. None of the JR passes work for a in and out ski trip.
    Chuo taxi or hire car is the only ones we havent tried. The travel to and from is what it is so I suppose I have to just suck it up.
    I cant find any info on the Chuo taxi at the moment, but I have heard a few bad reviews.
    All travel prices may come down if tourists are allowed back in.
    .Im still holding on to a faint glimmer of hope to travel in Feb, Ive got til Jan to cancel the accommodation.

21. Sandy

But I also mean that with 2 passes (one at each end) you could be up that way a couple of weeks, and it's only 4000yen more than the original 4 day flexi pass.

22. Sandy

The Nagano Snow Shuttle, is 13,900yen one way to Shiga Kogen.
    By train & bus, Narita > Tokyo > Nagano > Shiga Kogen is 10,650 + 2100 = 12,750yen.
    Honestly, if using Black Cat is because you don't want to hump your gear on the train, use Nagano Snow Shuttle. When you ADD Black Cat to the train/bus option, it's just about exactly the same price anyway.

23. mannyk

Thanks for confirmation, close to $360 Au each return.
    We caught the hwy bus from Hakuba to Shinjuku a couple of years ago cant remember but memory is that it was a lot less? There was the option of Hakuba to Haneda which foolishly we didnt do, had a midnight departure so we thought to spend a few hours and dinner in Shinjuku. Was a big hassle moving our ski bags through the bus terminal and no where to leave our bags so we just jumped on the airport bus. Too much luggage didnt help but we/wife is getting better at that.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

24. Sandy

There's a baggage storage area in the Shinjuku Station complex.

25. mannyk

We found the information centre, which I thought handled baggage, I dont recall what the issue was but it was not available, could have been translation issues. All good :thumbs:

26. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

yeh...I feel it's for explore-the-autumn-colours type of people

Donzah likes this.
  27. Donzah

I'd love one for JR West.
    Three days.. Fly into Osaka.
    Head down to Hiroshima..
    Then back to Kanazawa.

28. M_G

I hate all of them TBH. If I've just travelled 12 hours on a plane I don't want to be stuck for another 4-5 in a van or a bus. Tried it twice now, didn't like it and that was with vehicles that were not full. Would be bloody awful if they were full. For the two of you I'd seriously consider a rental car.

29. Donzah

I did it once. A van. Took 7 hrs. For a five HR trip.
    Never again

M_G likes this.
  30. mannyk

Cheers mate, the hire car is a option Id like to give a go, I have driven in Japan ,hired from Nagano but not from Tokyo.
    We always stay in Narita the first night so the next day 5ish hours keeps the boss happy, less stress from me. Its a shame the Nagano snow shuttle wasnt the bus thats advertised, just a normal bus, still good to get to the door without the luggage issue.
    At this stage Id be happy with anyway of getting skis on..:thumbs:

M_G likes this.
  31. Sandy

The GOOD Nagano Snow Shuttle bus is the one from Haneda Airport.

mannyk likes this.
  32. M_G

Paging @hotsaki His van ride once took 18 hours!

If I'm not going to make it to Myoko in the evening then I'll try making it to Nagano. I'm okay with another 2-2.5 hours on a train where I can at least move around. From Nagano, if I can't get picked up, I can organise a taxi. Best idea is to organise that beforehand but where it all falls apart is if the plane is late. I did on a couple of occasions do late night runs in the van to pick up guests from Nagano Station rather than leave families with tired kids stranded.

33. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes 18 hours.Snow in Tokyo certainly slows the trip We could get out of the van,have a meal then get back in the van which had moved maybe 50 metres down the road.

34. skichanger

Why wouldn't this work for you?
    https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_n/

35. mannyk

We will be longer than 5 days if it was 10 days, that would be great value.
    Thanks for the thought.:thumbs:

36. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

37. mannyk

Well if thats the case its great value and will jump on it next trip.
    Also I wonder if by some miracle we can get over there there may be bigger specials to encourage tourists to visit.
    edit. checked yep thats 5 in 14 days. Perfect

fennekeg likes this.
  38. mannyk

39. skichanger

Hasn't this always been any 5 out of 14? It used to be something like 4 in a month but the changed it a few years ago.

Froff Life likes this.
  40. skichanger

If you do less than 14 days out of Tokyo and use it to get 2 and from Tokyo it works. And once the first one expires you can get a 2nd one.

I actually recommend people spend 2 nights in Tokyo at either end of their stay so they can Black cat their snow equipment from and to the airport.

41. Donzah

I reckon since at least 2011

42. skichanger

No it changed later than that. I only ever looked at these post 2012. I know I have used the 1 month one. And when DH comes over it was perfect. But 14 days is just a bit to short even now when he has to go back to Aus to see his mother.

43. Donzah

2013 June...

44. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

It's been 5 days in any 14 day period since at least 2011 when I first used it. Super handy as it allows one day two days for the return airport journey, and then either a couple of day trips or even just unlimited travel around the loop line if staying in Tokyo.

45. Donzah

Nah June 2013...
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/changes-to-jr-east-rail-pass.60089/

46. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Donzah likes this.
  47. Donzah

LOL all good

48. skichanger

I only knew it was later than 2012 because I had used it, even if just once. And I definitely did not use it pre 2012.

49. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah my mistake, i new i used it with no issue once and then they changed it to a shorter period which means I cant take advantage of it. (usually stay longer)

skichanger likes this.
  50. skichanger

IMO the one for a longer period was better. ;)