Only takes one of these

390342_10150402440911058_1955732870_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Mt Fuji had snow fall on it a couple of nights ago.

This is VERY early for the first snowfalls. The temperatures day & night in Tokyo are still summer temperatures though.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

still looking stormy in japan over the next 10 days
gee they get some weather

DeskRider

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 13, 2011
Melbourne
Donza said:
still looking stormy in japan over the next 10 days
gee they get some weather

Been getting some good lightning shows of late, Tuesday night was a cracker.. Tokyo/Yokohama daily max Ts are still ~30, but it is definitely feeling cooler than a few weeks ago.

Only got a few weeks until 'Cool Biz' finishes and the office goes back to jacket and tie, hopefully the season change comes sooner rather than later..

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
I've been in Tokyo a bit recently. Unbearable heat suffering. I'd have jumped from the balcony to end it all but it was too hot outside.

Seriously, Tokyo has summers that eastern suburbs Sydney types could only dream about. Makes Sydney look like Hobart.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
damian said:
I've been in Tokyo a bit recently. Unbearable heat suffering. I'd have jumped from the balcony to end it all but it was too hot outside.

Seriously, Tokyo has summers that eastern suburbs Sydney types could only dream about. Makes Sydney look like Hobart.

Yep....

August was hotter than usual and dry, but still just as humid as usual. The last two weeks have been cooler (31-32 as opposed to 33-35 every day) but more humid. (80-90% in the mornings)

I keep looking at the one week forecasts to see a 27 or 28 on the horizon..... nothing yet....

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I hope so! I'll be in Myoko around then travelling from Sydney so should actually be quite similar. Though Sydney is already warming up and until last night the heating has been off.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
skichanger said:
I hope so! I'll be in Myoko around then travelling from Sydney so should actually be quite similar. Though Sydney is already warming up and until last night the heating has been off.

Normally the first dusting of snow in Hakuba at the very top of the peaks by that time, so Myoko wont be far off with similar valley temps.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
PMG said:
Great pic of Fuji.

Hope that is heading east rather than north east.

It makes little difference.....
wink.gif

This is typhoon season and we get our share. (It's heading north)

But I dare say we will cop one in the next two weeks in Tokyo.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Finally.....

Looks like the weather will change around Saturday.

Instead of 32-33 every day, with minimums around 25-26, it's looking more like 29-30 degrees and 21-22 degrees at night from Saturday!!!!
thumbsup.gif

The slippery slide to winter begins!!!!!!!!

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
Whilst all the leaves around me on the trees are still green, there is an accumulation of fallen dead leaves in my driveway. More everyday.

The unstoppable certainty has started.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Sandy and Damian - what are the predictions for from 8th October onwards? At the moment I am completely confused and I need to pack a week before I leave Aus as I am not leaving directly from "home".

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
GlassHalfEmptySandy is of course quite correct.

I however would rather focus on that one possible snowfall we usually get in early October.

Perhaps more practical: November nights can start to feel cold enough to need a warm jumper or heater.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Sandy said:
October is not usually cold. I suppose Myoko will hit the mid/low 20s around then, with high teens by late in the month.

damian said:
GlassHalfEmptySandy is of course quite correct.

I however would rather focus on that one possible snowfall we usually get in early October.

Perhaps more practical: November nights can start to feel cold enough to need a warm jumper or heater.

Mine's always half full or more
tongue.gif

Just read my posts in winter!!!!
wink.gif

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
I know I know. Hence my jumping at the only chance to call you Mr Pragmatic-Poo-Poo. I also liked myself for once unrealistically focusing on the one snow event in an otherwise warm period = me hyping and spinning the spin, calling a spade a shovel.
smile.gif

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
damian said:
I know I know. Hence my jumping at the only chance to call you Mr Pragmatic-Poo-Poo. I also liked myself for once unrealistically focusing on the one snow event in an otherwise warm period = me hyping and spinning the spin, calling a spade a shovel.
smile.gif

I'd also like to get some more terrain profiles off you at some stage.....

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Donza said:
So whats the smurf like anyways..?

Gosh it doesn't matter which of the many interpretations I put on that comment it always warrants a "stay on topic!"

Damian and Sandy - you make me laugh. It is like you want to say the same thing but from a different viewpoint and cannot quite agree to agree but definitely don't want to disagree with each other.

I know - Stay on topic!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Sorry surf
was being facetious

http://www.yr.no/place/Japan/Other/My%C5%8Dk%C5%8D-k%C5%8Dgen-mura/long.html

jontsy

Hard Yards
May 3, 2011
NSW
Been watching the weather in Rusutsu closely. I've noticed that the max temperatures have permanently dropped about 6 degrees (to around 17c) and the freezing levels about 1500 metres (around 3000m) all in the space of a few days. I find it very interesting the distinct change in seasons

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
^ It is amazing the way it flicks like a switch.

skichanger said:
Damian and Sandy - you make me laugh. It is like you want to say the same thing but from a different viewpoint and cannot quite agree to agree but definitely don't want to disagree with each other.

That really was total light hearted on my behalf. No one ever seems to get that.
smile.gif
Internet ski foruming. Serious stuff. I was making a sort of reverse-parody of myself and Sandy in winter.

Was saturated with sweat working today. Still too warm.

Sandy said:
I'd also like to get some more terrain profiles off you at some stage.....

No problemo
smile.gif

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
jontsy said:
Been watching the weather in Rusutsu closely. I've noticed that the max temperatures have permanently dropped about 6 degrees (to around 17c) and the freezing levels about 1500 metres (around 3000m) all in the space of a few days. I find it very interesting the distinct change in seasons

Yep.....

For me, it's the 21-22 degree nights in Tokyo/Yokohama which make it easier to sleep, than 25-27 degrees. Looks like a string of day time 28-29 degrees in the next week!!!
thumbsup.gif

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Just 25 & 26 degrees in Tokyo and Yokohama today....

20 over night tonight and only 22 tomorrow!!!
biggrin.gif
thumbsup.gif

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
JoeKing said:
Dropping degrees one by one. I hope you'll know what to do when it hits zero.

Usually it does not drop degree by degree in a steady linear decline in Japan....

It always hits a certain point, and then there's a quantum drop.
That peak summer/late summer turning point was this past Friday.
Last night's low in Yokohama was 19.3 degrees, the first time it's gone below 20 degrees since last May.

Now it will generally be 26-30 degrees for a while until the next drop, with nights 20-22. A whole day of rain modifies that, today looks like topping out at 22-23, before it hits 29-30 again tomorrow.

The winter turning point comes around mid December in Tokyo (+- one week), when daytime maximums go from 13-15, down to around 9-12 degrees. The first really big dumps of snow on the snow fields happen on this change, with the prevailing winds turn to the winter pattern N-NW winds.
The mid winter pattern kicks in about a week after New Year (+- one week). Tokyo drops from 9-12 degrees, down to about 5-10.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
To give some indication of how quickly the season has changed in Japan, the forecast last Friday for Sat 2nd Sep - Thu 27th read:

28, 28, 29, 31, 30, 29

The actual and forecast were/are now:

27, 22, 27, 23, 27, 27

Much cooler and heading in the right direction!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
hotsaki said:
Was 32 in Kutchan last week.I would have bet my house that it would never get to 32 ever.And lost it of course.

15 degrees in Kutchan at 9am today.....

But the average August maximum in Sapporo is maybe 27-29 degrees, so 32 for Kutchan is not out of the question....

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Now I am really confused as to what clothes to take for October. I think it may be best to take some lightweight stuff as well as almost winter weight clothing.

Sandy what are the terrain profiles you want from Damian and what do you use them for? Just curious!

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
skichanger said:
Now I am really confused as to what clothes to take for October. I think it may be best to take some lightweight stuff as well as almost winter weight clothing.

Sandy what are the terrain profiles you want from Damian and what do you use them for? Just curious!

No almost winter clothing needed in October. there 20-23 degree days in September are unusual. Expect it to be 25-29 for the next couple of weeks, then 23-25 for the next couple. Maybe around 20-22 by the end of October.

Terrain profiles for orographic lift, RE: predicting snowfall in different resorts from wind direction.

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
Sandy - agree no winter clothes, however I reckon your temps are too high for Myoko/Hakuba. Do you have Tokyo in mind?

skichanger - it is the evenings in October which you may find cool.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Not worried about it being cold - justy add aniother layer - but want to make sure I have adequate clothes for weather and what I need to do. Nearly died from overheating when outside gardening in August due to needing to wear neck to knee stuff to survive all the bitey things. Tried the waterproof gaiters with shorts - oh a great look! But the sweat inside them was amazing - felt like I was wearing one of those weight loss things you see advertised. So I needed light weight long sleeves and long pants.

Uniqlo - looked this up. A bit of michelin man stuff there. I already look like that in ski gear without adding a faily padded jacket! But definitely worht a look if I am desperate.

Sandy - how detailed and technical do you get? Interested in this stuff but just don't normally have time. But it may be something to play with/learn about when in Japan away from home and everything that needs doing there.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
damian said:
Sandy - agree no winter clothes, however I reckon your temps are too high for Myoko/Hakuba. Do you have Tokyo in mind?

skichanger - it is the evenings in October which you may find cool.

Yeah, Tokyo, subtract maybe 3-5 degrees for Myoko/Hakuba.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
skichanger said:
Sandy - how detailed and technical do you get? Interested in this stuff but just don't normally have time. But it may be something to play with/learn about when in Japan away from home and everything that needs doing there.

I wrote an article for "Hakuba Connect" magazine a couple of seasons back, which included these graphics:

I used the terrain profile for this:
Hakubasnow.jpg

HakubaWindsz.jpg

I'd like to develop a reasonable profile for the main resort areas around northern Nagano & Niigata, to make it easier to pick the places to go for powder based on wind direction.

For example, Cortina gets big snow on a due northerly wind, but about the same amount as Happo on a NNW wind, due to the big peaks behind taking most of the snow.

It also has to do with wind speed, distance from the coast and the intervening terrain providing a little orographic lift to cool the air first, before it hits a larger mountain.
So essentially, there tends to be an optimal terrain profile for more snow.
For example, if the moumtain is too near the coast, the moist air rises too quickly, doesn't cool and condense as much, providing less snow and not as dry.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Ok so nice days when I can work hard outside in long sleeves and long pants without dieing but need a jacket if I go out at night.

Just like here at the moment! We had frost and ice last night but my boys are wearing shorts outside during the day.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Sandy tell me what you want and we will try to get it for you for the Myoko area. Validates having one of the apps DH likes playing with. So I assume you would want a number of data points going in a particular direction from a start point. And do you average these across the mountain or do you just try to pick a line that has a typical profile?

How much can you do it from Google maps? These are getting quite accurate - well I assume the info they include is relatively accurate.

Modern technology makes this stuff so much easier.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using