1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan Youtube videos 2020 - 2021

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ramenman, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

In this season, most people on this forum can't fly to Japan unfortunately due to COVID-19, so I will randomly choose Youtube videos of skiing filmed in Japan in the last 7 - 10 days so that people can feel what Japanese ski resorts are like now. I'll try to choose videos from all major ski regions of Hokkaido, Tohoku and Central Honshu.

First, it's Zao Onsen (Yamagata) filmed yesterday (December 20th, Sunday). I was skiing there on 19th. As you can see in the very beginning part, the visibility was bad but it's very common in Zao. Among ski resorts I know a lot, Zao's visibility is the worst. It's not because of snow but it's fog. Upper mountains are quite often foggy like the video.

Kagura (Yuzawa) on Decemer 16th, Wednesday. On the same day (16th), a young Japanese female snowboarder from Tokyo suffocated to death in the deep snow at Kagura unfortunately.

Rusutsu on December 19th, Saturday. Almost none of skiers / snowboarders from abroad due to COVID-19, so you can ride untracked fresh powder easily if you can fly to Japan this season:p

Hakuba Iwatake on December 18 or 19th from top to bottom.

Myoko on December 19th

#1 Ramenman, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    fennekeg, Jacko4650, Tanuki and 5 others like this.
  2. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Now you’re just going to make us cry! Good coverage for early season ....

Tonester, Hyst and Ramenman like this.
  3. Ramenman

Geto Kogen (Iwate Pref) filmed on December 20th, Sunday. Geto Kogen had snowfall of 300cm in 4 days between 16th and 19th. They are famous for the abundant snow and treerun zones. Geto Kogen has enough snow for treerun already, so I think they will open the gates for treerun courses anytime soon (the video doesn't contain a treerun because I think they didn't open the gates yet).

Lotte Arai (Myoko, Niigata) on December 16th, Wednesday.

Niseko on December 17 or 18th.

Furano on December 17th or 18th.

Nozawa Onsen on December 18th, Friday.

#3 Ramenman, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  4. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Ramenman likes this.
  5. 2ESki

2ESki One of Us

? If they were video's there must be something wrong at my end, I can only play the first one :(

6. Ramenman

I think Myoko and the regions in the vicinity are the regions where the snow clearing is the toughest in Japan or might be in the world:p.

I think there are two reasons. 1:Snowfall is the biggest. 2:Snow itself is wet and heavier per 1 cubic meter because it's closer to the sea and the temperature is relatively high (because of the relatively lower latitude compared to the other major ski regions). If Myoko's snowdepth change is like "100cm - 50cm - 150cm - 100cm - 200cm - 150cm - 250cm - 200cm", Hokkaido and Northern Tohoku are like 80cm - 55cm - 105cm - 75cm - 125cm - 100cm - 150cm. While Hokkaido, Northern Tohoku (and inland ski resorts) only need to clear 50cm of snow, Myoko needs to clear 100cm and the snow per 1 cubic meter is heavier. It's what I feel. I have never cleared snow in Myoko, so I don't know if I'm right, though.

7. ojisan

ojisan station master Ski Pass: Gold

I agree with snow clearing at Myoko...
    spent a while digging out the car a few times last time I was there.

M_G and Ramenman like this.
  8. David-eTO

David-eTO Hard Yards

Thank you very much. I'm definitely salivating.

Ramenman likes this.
  9. Ramenman

Yudono-san ski resort (Yamagata Pref) on December 17th, Friday.

Shiga Kogen on December 21st, Monday.

You can see Shiga Kogen's new gondola in this video (filmed on December 20th, Sunday)

Cupid Valley (Joetsu, kind of Yuzawa region) last week(not sure the specific date). Cupid Valley announced their closure last season, but a group of local people (or company) bought it, hence it's open this season. I worry, by 2035, nearly half of Japanese ski resorts might close unfortunately. I hope Cupid Valley will be in the group of the survivors.

A bit about Takasu Mountains. Ski resorts in the region formed "Takasu Mountains" just like "Hakuva Valley" in order to jointly attract more people. I've been there only once. I like Takasu Snow Park - Dynaland and Washigatake - White Pia. Takasu Snow Park and Dynaland are like Madarao - Tangram in that they are connected. Washigatake and White Pia are also connected. This video was filmed in Takasu Snow Park on December 18th, Saturday.

Hyst, M_G and ojisan like this.
  10. ojisan

it's good to see Gifu getting some love..
    I like that area around the Hida interchange.
    I've been to Dynaland/Takasu and White Pia.
    I've also boarded up at Winghills which I caught on a powder day & had fresh knee deep all day... then a short drive to the onsen which has an outside bath that overlooks the main ski run.

Tonester, Zimbooo, M_G and 2 others like this.
  11. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Many thanks @Ramenman . These keep part of me alive through the humid, wet,Sydney summer.

Ramenman likes this.
  12. M_G

Yes, maybe. But just the way he's doing it. Making it a lot more time consuming than it needs to be. Nonetheless a big job without a snowblower.

Ramenman likes this.
  13. Ramenman

Madarao Kogen on December 19th

Sapporo Kokusai on December 19th

Kandatsu Kogen in Yuzawa (now they are Kandatsu Snow Resort) on December 19th. They renovated the ski center last year and you can see it in the video. Ishiuchi Maruyama built a new ski center and installed a new chondola & a new lift a few years ago. I feel Yuzawa's great accessibility from Tokyo is helping ski resorts in the region to invest, expecting more and more tourists from abroad will come. Kandatsu Kogen newly made a treerun course this season.

Fujiwara (Manakami, Gunma) got 200+cm of snow within 48 hours. Too much snow can be a problem for ski resorts. The road condition was terrible, so Houdaigi ski resort couldn't open till 19th. It can happen sometimes. Nekoma, Grandeco, etc in one of my ski regions are at 1000m asl while many seasonal workers are living in a village of 500m asl, so even seasonal workers can't arrive at ski resorts in time, which cause only limited number of lifts / gondolas to run even though there is plenty of snow. The video below is a road to Houdaigi ski resort. It re-started snowing after it was filmed. JMA's weather station is at 700m asl while the ski resort's altitude is roughly 800m - 1400m, so the ski resort might have got more than 200cm within 48 hours.

As I wrote, due to too much snow, the ski resort couldn't open. Basically, I pick up videos which are filmed within 10 days(today is Dec 22nd, so videos filmed on 13th - 22nd), however, I couldn't find a good video filmed after the big snow fall, so I'll show a video filmed at Houdaigi on January 3rd, 2019.

#13 Ramenman, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    nfip, Olgreg, M_G and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ramenman

A video of Gala Yuzawa's staff preparing to open the ski resort. It was filmed on December 15th. Yuzawa had very heavy snow on 15th and 16th, so it kept snowing hard next day too.

In and around Piyashiri ski resort (Nayoro, Hokkaido). Not sure the specific date but the video was uploaded onto Youtube 2 days ago.

Filmed in Tokamachi city, Niigata (next to Yuzawa region) on December 21st, Monday.

Hakuba Cortina on December 19th, Saturday.

Born2skii, Hyst, Olgreg and 1 other person like this.
  15. M_G

In the last one, why not have the drone followed you? Never been a fan of the selfie video. Not sure what the attraction is at all.

16. Ramenman

Last one?. I think it was filmed by use of something like Insta 360 one X which can make the selfie stick invisible.

Lucky Pete and Hyst like this.
  17. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Like that they are 3 younger persons clearing the roofs.:clap:

Ramenman likes this.
  18. 2ESki

2ESki One of Us

Alright tech heads why don't any of these video's play? Got my 18yo to look at it and she couldn't figure it out either :cry:

Ramenman likes this.
  19. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

#19 Hyst, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Ramenman likes this.
  20. Ramenman

:thumbs:

By the way, the uploader keeps speaking in the video. I found one thing interesting. He is saying "Thanks to very heavy snow of the region (Tokamachi city), the farmers in the region don't suffer from wild animals such as boars eating their vegetables & fruits(snow in the region is too deep for those wild animals), however, last season was by far the least snowy season, which made those wild animals appear in Tokamachi city this summer". So, abundant snow is not only precious water source for farming in green season, but also it can keep wild animals away from their farms;)

susie2516, Jacksong and Jacko4650 like this.
  21. Ramenman

I don't know what's happening on your computer. Even if you can't watch them on this forum, you can watch them on Youtube, right:)?

22. Ramenman

This video was filmed at Kawaba ski resort (Gunma Pref) last weekend or this Monday. Kawaba ski resort is very accessible from Tokyo and accessibility from Tokyo was even more important when I was a university student in Tokyo, so I used to go to Yuzawa and Katashina region of Gunma pref when I was a university student. Katashina village has a lot of ski resorts and the base altitude is high, so ski season starts early, which is another reason why I used to ski there often. Kawaba is actually not in Katashina village but very close, so I consider Kawaba as a part of Katashina. The base altitude of Kawaba ski resort is 1290m (top is 1870m), I remember it was a nightmare to drive on the uphill road to Kawaba ski resort when it was snowing quite hard:p. Kawaba newly made a sidecountry course:) (I don't think they have opened it already, though)

I already showed a video filmed at Kandatsu Snow Resort (Yuzawa). However, I've found another video which is even better. I mean, I wrote Kandatsu renewed the ski center but the last video didn't have the ski center part much.

I wrote about Mt.Chokai on Latest ski & tourism news thread. It's one of the snowiest mountains of Japan (no ski resorts on the mountain unfortunately, though). It's a popular spring - early summer backcountry ski trip destination. This video was filmed on Mt.Chokai Yesterday (December 22nd). It was filmed at relatively lower altitude, though. I mean, Mt.Chokai is about 2340m and treeline is low due to the heavy snow around 1100m. You can see trees, which means, it's far from the peak.

This video was filmed on May 20th, 2018 (I'm showing this video as a good example of early summer skiing on Mt.Chokai). I like the video very much, especially the part of Sunset + the beautiful views of Sea of Japan (Mt.Chokai is very close to Sea of Japan, which is one of the main reasons why the mountain is super snowy)

Mt.Chokai during Golden Week (Japan's Golden Week = the last week of April to the first week of May). They are skiing from about 1600m asl. The mountain is 2340m and you can ski from the peak too, I mean, it's not too steep nor too flat around the peak. However, not many people ski from the peak because there isn't a lift, therefore, it'll be a quite tough long hike.

crackson likes this.
  23. M_G

Ah, okay. I thought it was one of those follow drones. Either way this perspective is incredibly boring to me. POV is MUCH better.

Zimbooo and Ramenman like this.
  24. 2ESki

2ESki One of Us

Ramenman likes this.
  25. 2ESki

2ESki One of Us

Yes , but I have to look them up individually o_O

Ramenman likes this.
  26. Ramenman

I agree. If a person films himself / herself when skiing without a drone, I like this kind of one. He is filming himself. At the end of the video, he is explaining how to film like he did for the video.

And this is the same person (the same uploader) skiing on Mt.Chokai in the first week of May.

M_G likes this.
  27. Ramenman

Nozawa Onsen's new gondola on December 21st, Monday.

Asarigawa Onsen ski resort (Otaru, Hokkaido) on December 20th, Sunday.

Hakkoda on December 23rd, Wednesday.

Ikenotaira Onsen (Myoko) on December 20th, Sunday.

Time for me to get out to get the best chickens, alcohol beverages and cakes for Christmas eve!(Somehow, KFC and similar ones have got big in Japan for Christmas:p)

susie2516 likes this.
  28. 2nd_String_QB

2nd_String_QB Hard Yards

I walked past a KFC here in Melbourne today and the smell reminded me - aaaahh, today is KFC day in Japan

Lonepeak and Ramenman like this.
  29. Ramenman

I have eaten KFC only 3 times in the last 3 years and all of them were on Christmas eveROFL(but not today;))

30. SnowFlow

SnowFlow Hard Yards

None of the videos work on my laptop they are just thumb nails but on my phone they are videos? o_O

31. nfip

nfip Cold 'n Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

will have to come back to this thread when I have some downstream bandwidth here.
    xmas eve and all it's snails pace at best.

Ramenman likes this.
  32. M_G

As we are locked out of Japan this year we actually get to have Xmas lunch with my family for the first time in many years. My sister asked me to bring something traditionally Japanese. I am really toying with the idea of KFC! LOLLOLLOL

SnowFlow, Ramenman and fennekeg like this.
  33. Ramenman

Many people in Japan have been posting KFC related videos yesterday and today. This is one of them. According to the video (the uploader), "the tradition" started in 1970s:p

KFC's official promotion video for 2020's Christmas, or I should call KFChristmas.

Some other KFChristmas related videos uploaded yesterday - today.

It seems some amount of people from abroad living in Japan now were having KFChristmas party last night:p

Oops, it's a ski thread, so I should add a ski video:p. This is a video filmed at Ryuo ski park yesterday (=December 24th, 2020)

34. Medicine_Shoes

Medicine_Shoes Hard Yards

23 December. Skyline and Karasawa courses at Nozawa Onsen

Hyst, tot and Ramenman like this.
  35. Ramenman

Chux-sw, fennekeg and Hyst like this.
  36. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Gifu is on my to-do list......one year when we can travel again

Ramenman likes this.
  37. Ramenman

Zao Onsen last week.

Ryuo ski park last week.

Madarao & Tangram on December 26th, Saturday.

Maiko snow resort last week.

Shirakawa-Go last week.

38. fennekeg

fennekeg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

:love:Shirakawa-go:love: We stayed overnight there (in summer), in the evening you virtually have the village to yourself. Would love to visit in winter but I heard they are snowed in often?

Ramenman likes this.
  39. ojisan

I've stayed a night in the middle of winter.
    Amazing place to visit.
    Where we stayed was next door to the onsen

fennekeg and Ramenman like this.
  40. Ramenman

It's one of 豪雪地帯 (heavy snow region), so it's snowy:)

According to JMA (JMA have a weather station there), the "average" snowdepth of Shirakawa region (at 478m asl) on February 9th is 124cm, which is enough to make the village look all white. It usually starts snowing from mid or late December(this season had very big snowfall there in mid December), but slow start season might hit, so visiting between mid January and the first week of March is better, IMO (late Jan - mid Feb is the very best). That said, I'm not a specialist of the region. It's just what I thought after seeing the snowdepth data on Shirakawa region that JMA have (Edit: March 20th still has enough snow there, but it's not "fresh snow" usually)

Shirakawa-Go on February 13th, 2018

fennekeg and 2ESki like this.
  41. Ramenman

Charmant Hiuchi on December 26th, Saturday.

Ishiuchi Maruyama on December 27th, Sunday.

Oh, a wild boar. Their legs are too short for deep snow (the video was uploaded about a week ago)

m2711c and M_G like this.
  42. Ramenman

Oku Ibuki ski resort on December 29th, 2020. It's close to Osaka, so it looks more crowded, I guess.

Tomamu on December 27th.

Houdaig ski resort (Minakami, Gunma) on January 1st, 2021.

Inawashiro ski resort on December 29th, 2020.

Oze Iwakura ski resort (Katashina village, Gunma Pref) in January 1st, 2021.

m2711c and Tanuki like this.
  43. Ramenman

Snowy mountains are not only for skiers / snowboarders, but also for climbers / hikers too. This girl is climbing up to Enzanso (a mountain hut). It was filmed on December 26th, 2020.

It was filmed at Asahidake on December 25th, 2020. In the video, he is saying "It's first time for me not to hear a foreign language in Asahidake's ropeway".

Geto Kogen on January 1st, 2021.

Hakuba Happo One on January 1st, 2021.

44. Ramenman

Ani ski resort (Akita Prefecture) on January 2nd, 2021.

Backcountry in Shirakawa-Go region on January 2nd, 2021.

Zao on December 26th, 2020. It's a video of night CAT tour. It was December, so it was too early for Juhyo (Ice Monsters).

Winter camping on December 24th, 2020. I feel winter camping in snowy places has been getting popular in recent years.

Hyst likes this.
  45. Ramenman

Nozawa Onsen on December 31st, 2020.

Jeunesse Kurikoma (Akita Prefecture) on January 2nd, 2021.

Niseko on January 2nd, 2021.

Rusutsu on January 2nd, 2021.

Winter camping on December 30th, 2020.

46. Ramenman

Maiko Snow resort last weekend (very near Ishiuchi Maruyama and some other ski resorts in Yuzawa). Maiko newly opened 3 treerun areas last season but last season was by far the worst season and I assume they couldn't make the most of the new treerun zones. On the other hand, they have enough snow from the very beginning of this season. The video is about their new treerun zones. Japanese ski resorts have been newly making official treerun zones in recent years to make the most of the abundant snow.

Kagura BC on January 2nd, 2021.

Kurofushi Kogen Snow Park Jungle Jungle (Yamagata Pref) in the first week of 2021.

Akakura Onsen on January 3rd, 2021.

Ski Jam Katsuyama (Fukui Pref) on December 31st, 2020. They also newly made two treerun areas. The video doesn't contain the treerun areas but I assume they've already had enough snow for opening the treerun areas.

#46 Ramenman, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Hyst likes this.
  47. Ramenman

Shiga Kogen on January 1st, 2021.

Jungle Jungle (a ski resort in Yamagata Pref) on January 4th, 2021.

Tanigawa-dake Tenjindaira last month (December 2020).

Backcountry in Hachimantai region (Iwate Pref near Appi Kogen) on Decemeber 30th, 2020.

Winter camping in 2021.

#47 Ramenman, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  48. Ramenman

Niseko last month and this month (= December + the first several days of January)

Arai on January 3rd, 2021. Too much snow made a lot of runs closed for a while.

Takasu Snow Park (Gifu Prefecture) on January 1st, 2021. They have a lot of treerun zones now (They are popular / famous for terrain parks and mega half pipes too)

#48 Ramenman, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    m2711c likes this.
  49. Ramenman

Sidecountry / backcountry from Amihari Onsen ski resort (Iwate Prefecture) yesterday (January 6th, 2021).

A local ski resort near Lake Towada, Aomori Pref, which is close enough to Hakkoda on December 31st, 2020.

Nozawa Onsen last month (December 2020).

Hyst, m2711c and crackson like this.
  50. Musgrove

Musgrove Addicted

I started enjoying this thread but can it please stop :( It’s just getting too much for me.

Ramenman likes this.