1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan Youtube videos 2020 - 2021

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ramenman, Dec 21, 2020.

1. m2711c

m2711c One of Us

on the banks of Fish Creek in lovely Taberg NY
    its not all fun and games.... it makes for work too.

Ramenman likes this.
  2. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It's actually dangerous. I mean, as far as I know, none of skiers / snowboarders has died of avalanches "on mountains" this season yet, but NHK were reporting yesterday that "roof avalanches" have already killed 28 people in Japan this season. All of the videos below were filmed this season (in the last 3 weeks).

The same video you showed but it's bigger.

ojisan, tot, Jacksong and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

:thumbs:

Ramenman likes this.
  4. Ramenman

These are promotion videos that JR uploaded onto Youtube this week. Every winter, JR make and broadcast this kind of "Travel Tohoku by use of JR trains". In most videos, they use Snow + Onsen like the videos below. By the way, the girl in the videos is speaking dialects of each prefecture of Tohoku. Don't worry, even I don't understand them. They speak Tokyo Japanese, so just use Japanese you know.

From north to south

Aomori Pref version

Iwate Pref version

Akita Pref version

Yamagata Pref version

Miyagi Pref version

Fukushima Pref version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6bgCgjISeQ

Jacksong and Hyst like this.
  5. Ramenman

This is a 4K video of Zao's Juhyo (Ice Monsters) filmed a few days ago (the first week of January, 2021). It's still early season and Juhyo will keep growing and will become bigger. By the way, Zao is not a name of a mountain but a region which straddles Yamagata Pref and Miyagi Pref. Zao Onsen's ropeway is very popular among foreign tourists for viewing the Juhyo forest, however, the video below is not Zao Onsen's Juhyo. I mean, very near Zao Onse ski resort, there is another ski resort Zao Liza World and it's one of our backcountry base resorts. With a short hike, you can reach the Juhyo forest and you won't see Asian tourists there (there are quite many Asian tourists in Zao Onsen's Juhyo forest in recent years).

There are some amount of people who like driving in snowy roads. This video was filmed last week. If it snows a lot, most people on this forum think "It's time to ski / snowboard", but for some people, "It's time to drive a car". They still choose roads with "drivable conditions", though. I mean, I've seen / experienced roads with even worse conditions.

Winghills Shirotori (Gifu prefecture) on January 2nd, 2021. It's very close to Takasu mountains (I wrote about Takasu mountains on this thread a few times). It seems it's been snowing hard in the region today as well.

Takasu Snow Park TODAY (January 8th, 2021). They have a lot of treerun zones now.

Jacksong and Hyst like this.
  6. Ramenman

All of the videos below were filmed today = January 8th, 2021

Shiga Kogen

Tateyama Sanroku ski resort (Toyama Prefecture)

Hakuba Cortina

Yuzawa Nakazato ski resort

Dynaland (one of ski resorts of Takasu Mountains, Gifu Prefecture)

Jacksong likes this.
  7. Hyst

危なかったですね〜 。ワッで済んで良かった。

Ramenman likes this.
  8. TeePee

TeePee Early Days

Same problem here. I use Brave browser. Switched to Safari and vids run. After watching them kind of wish they didn't! :)

Ramenman and Hyst like this.
  9. Ramenman

とても自然な日本語表現ですね!。Hystさんが書いたのですか?あ、奥様が書いたのですか?. 雪の多い地域の屋根の下は危険なので気を付けてください。多くの場合、屋根から雪が落ちる直前に音がするので、雪の多い地域を歩く時はイヤホンをしないで歩く方が良いと思います:)

10. 2ESki

2ESki One of Us

It's strange, 4 days ago the first lot all came up to play and now the vids on page 2 have opened up :rolleyes:

11. Hyst

You are right - old people just enjoying your contributions.

Ramenman likes this.
  12. Ramenman

Zao Onsen yesterday (January 8th, 2021). It's the average condition of this season. I mean, I was not there yesterday, but we have already skied there several days this season and snow conditions were just like that in each day. Since this season started in mid December, when ski slopes needed some snowfall, it actually snowed on ski slopes. So, there wasn't a mega snowfall, but the snow conditions of ski slopes have been good for skiing for 3 weeks since the season started.

This is a twitter video filmed at Grandeco ski resort (Urabandai, Aizu region, Fukushima Pref) yesterday (= January 8th, 2021). It was filmed around noon but still fresh untracked fresh snow was left. Even without COVID-19, if you visit ski resorts in Tohoku on weekdays, not many people are skiing and you can ride untracked fresh snow more easily.

This is a video that Yuzawa Nakazato Snow Resort's official Youtube channel uploaded the day before yesterday. So, they have official treerun zones and they are open now.

This is a video that Kandatsu Snow Resort's official Youtube channel uploaded today.

13. Ramenman

All videos below were filmed today = January 9th, 2021.

Tree skiing at Minowa ski resort, Aizu region, Fukushima.

These two videos were filmed at Takasu Snow Park / Dynaland, Gifu Prefecture (It's been snowing quite hard in Gifu today)

Hyst and Jacksong like this.
  14. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

I think this is my favourite thread on the forum. So much inspiration to travel around.

Hyst and Ramenman like this.
  15. Ramenman

Ski Jam Katsuyama, Fukui Pref, yesterday (January 9th, 2021). It was very snowy there yesterday and it kept snowing today too. I wonder if they could open today. I mean, some (or many) ski resorts in Fukui, Gifu, Toyama and Niigata couldn't open today unfortunately because too much snow had fallen.

Fukui Izumi Ski Area, Fukui Pref, yesterday (January 9th, 2021).

Hakkaisan on January 8th, 2021.

Shiga Kogen today (Jananuary 10th, 2021).

#65 Ramenman, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  16. Hyst

No video? Still picture only?
    Edit: sorry, now video is shown.

#66 Hyst, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Ramenman likes this.
  17. Ramenman

Tengendai Kogen, yesterday (January 10th, 2021). Thanks to the high altitude and north-facing, the snow condition is good and ski season is long (from early Dec to early May). It's just between Aizu region and Yamagata Zao. When you visit those region but the snow condition is bad unfortunately, I recommend visiting Tengendai. The top lift station is 1820m and the mountain ridge with Juhyo (Ice Monster) is 2000m, quite easy hike and it's one of our backcountry / sidecountry mountains.

Backcountry in Niigata Pref last week. I find this kind of ski videos "ASMR" and I keep watching them in bed till falling asleep:p

This was filmed yesterday (January 10th, 2021). For some amount of people (not me), heavy snowfall hits = time to film trains:p

ojisan and Jacksong like this.
  18. Ramenman

This was filmed in Horokanai, Hokkaido, last weekend. JMA have a weather station in Horokanai at about 150m asl and the weather station is the snowiest weather station of Hokkaido (of JMA). It's a lot colder and snowier than Niseko, etc. The temperature drops down to -15C almost everyday in January and February, and the last month, the temperature dropped to -32.6C. -32.6C in December is impressive. If you are willing to hike for the best powder and you like very calm / quiet places, you might like Horokanai (There are ski resorts in the region, very small ones, though).

Horokanai : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horokanai,_Hokkaido

This video was filmed at the northernmost ski resort of Honshu, Aomori Pref last weekend. It's a unique / strange ski resort in that it's like skiing down to a fishery port (the bottom lift station to the port is about 1km or so). It's a small ski resort for local people but the vertical drop is bigger than 400m, so, as a local ski resort, it's not too small.

The ski resort seen from the fishery port. The ski resort is roughly 520m - 100m asl but the mountain is 879m and some people climb up to the peak for skiing.
    [​IMG]

Ani ski resort, Akita Pref, yesterday (January 10th, 2021)

Jangle Jungle, Yamagata Pref, yesterday (January 10th, 2021)

Hakuba Iwatake, yesterday (January 10th, 2021)

ojisan, Hyst, David-eTO and 3 others like this.
  19. David-eTO

David-eTO Hard Yards

Hi, what is the name of the resort in Aomori Prefecture? Thanks

20. Ramenman

It's Kamafuseyama ski resort.

ojisan likes this.
  21. Ramenman

All of the videos below were filmed around Lake Inawashiro - Urabandai (Aizu region) in this season.

Backcountry from Grandeco ski resort yesterday (January 11th, 2021). The 2000m class mountain range is long from west to east. We enjoy the mountain range in all four seasons, including backcountry skiing.

The pictures are "average" condition of January 10th. I mean, Japan has a long weekend around January 10th every year and we've climbed the mountain many times in early season (Dec - early Jan).

Alts Bandai, the day before yesterday (January 10th, 2021)

Night skiing at Inawashiro ski resort last weekend. Inawashiro ski resort is for viewing Lake Inawashiro, the 4th biggest lake of Japan and they have sunrise skiing and night skiing as well. I like both (beautiful). This season, sunrise skiing is open only on Sunday and holidays, though.

[​IMG]

A cafe by Lake Inawashiro (=the lowest area of the region) filmed before Christmas 2020. I like the views of Lake Inawashiro + very vast rice field + mountains. Finally, some amount of tourists from abroad have started coming to the region in all seasons and we see cyclists from Asia in those cafes around Lake Inawashiro and the highlands nearby in green season in recent years. Then, COVID-19 hit. I hope the new business owners can survive the difficult time of COVID-19 era.

Another cafe nearby.

22. David-eTO

David-eTO Hard Yards

thank you.

Ramenman likes this.
  23. Ramenman

Skiing in Yuzawa village filmed in a national holiday long weekend (January 9 - 11th, 2021). He recently bought a used apartment in Yuzawa as a second home. He has uploaded some videos about the processes (visiting some apartments to choose which to buy, how much it costs for living in Yuzawa, etc) and I found it interesting.

Rusutsu yesterday (January 12th, 2021? or last weekend).

Furano (January 12th, 2021? or last weekend).

Ani ski resort on January 11th, 2021.

Solo winter camping while viewing Mt.Fuji, last week(the region is dry in winter, so no snow in the video)

24. Ramenman

Kusatsu Onsen ski resort yesterday. The skier is 78 years old. I often see skiers older than 75 years old in my ski regions. Skiing can keep you fit and young;)

I like fishing as well. If you stay in Japan only for 14 days, you might like skiing everyday, but if you are a retired person and you can stay in Japan for a month or longer, skiing every will be too much. Then, having a fishing day might be good. Japanese mountains and beaches are very close, so for the people like me who like both skiing and fishing, it's very good. This was filmed last weekend.

I think I see more people with snowscoots in recent years. I think Japan's abundant / deep snow is ideal for snowscoots. It was filmed at Charmant Hiuchi on January 5th, 2021 (so it was filmed before the mega snowfall, which made Charmant Hiuchi closed).

This video was uploaded onto Youtube today. It's a promotion video of winter travel to Aso region, Kyushu. I like the region.

Hyst likes this.
  25. Ramenman

Unofficial treerun zones at Alts Bandai, yesterday (January 14th, 2021).

Unofficial treerun zones at Zao Onsen on January 11th, 2021.

Nekoma ski resort last weekend.

Inawashiro ski resort last weekend.

Chux-sw, Hyst and Jacksong like this.
  26. Ramenman

This was filmed at Otaru Tengu-yama ski resort this week. It is a tiny ski resort but worth a visit. It has nicely steep runs, the accessibility is great (very close to the downtown of Otaru) and it has the unique view of the downtown of Otaru+ the sea. Night skiing is also beautiful (At the top ropeway station, there is a restaurant and the night view from the restaurant is also good).

Maiko ski resort last weekend(January 9th, 2021).

The treerun zone that Kandatsu newly opened this season.

Winter mountain climbing on December 31st, 2020.

ojisan and Hyst like this.
  27. Ramenman

Alts Bandai, Aizu region, Fukushima Pref this week (again, some unofficial treeruns are included. I also like riding there on pow days:))

Backcountry in Zao Today = January 15th, 2021

Zao Onsen's bottom slope Today = January 15th, 2021

Numajiri ski resort, Aizu region, Fukushima Pref last week (It's very near Minowa)

Another snow scoot video filmed last Sunday.

Hyst likes this.
  28. Hyst

Very nice! We both like this video a lot.
    I once had a walk like that in Sweden but stayed outside during nights.

Thank you very much for that video.

Ramenman likes this.
  29. Ramenman

Now, there are a lot of Japanese Youtubers who specialize in mountain climbing / hiking. She (the uploader of the video you liked) is one of them. Another Youtuber recently uploaded a video of mountains she climbed in 2020. This is the video. She is uploading mountain videos quite often, mainly in green season, though.

Filmed on December 31st - January 1st. She was climbing to see "the first sunrise of 2021" from the peak of the mountain. She is also a Youtuber specializing in mountain climbing / hiking.

This was filmed about a month ago (mid December)

This was filmed about a month ago (mid December)

Cargo drones and mountain huts.

Hyst likes this.
  30. Ramenman

Some of official treerun zones at Geto Kogen last weekend.

At Winghills, Gifu Pref, last weekend, it's too much of snow.

Ishiuchi Maruyama's terrain parks last & this week.

Alts Bandai's long "Step Up Park" filmed this week.

Winter surfing, filmed on January 10th, 2021.

ojisan likes this.
  31. Ramenman

Tomamu last week.

Hakuba Sanosaka last week

Telemark BC from a ski-in ski-out JR station in Yamagata Pref last week(the mountain is only accessible by use of a JR line, not by car)

Another winter climbing filmed on January 5th, 2021.

32. Ramenman

Sumikawa Snow Park (one of the ski resorts in Zao region on Miyagi Pref side, not Yamagata) this week.

Hakuba Happo One the day before yesterday (January 15th, 2021)

Another winter camping video filmed this week.

Winter climbing during this New Year holidays (it was a very windy day, so the most part of the video was filmed inside a mountain hut)

33. Ramenman

The new treerun zone of Okunakayama Kogen ski resort (Iwate Pref, relatively near Appi Kogen) last week.

Appi Kogen yesterday (January 17th, 2021)

Alts Bandai on January 16th and 17th, 2021. 16th had the first rain of this season, and 16 - 17th's condition was bad. However, since this season started a month ago (mid December), it was the first rain. Between mid December and mid January, it had been good, so we can't complain.

A lot of ski resorts have Go Pro, etc and you can rent the cameras at ski resorts in recent years and some ski resorts have filming staff now. This was filmed by use of the filming staff at Asama 2000, Gunma Pref.

34. Ramenman

Hachikita ski resort last week. The ski resort is in Kansai = the region where there are Osaka and Kyoto, etc (vertical drop is about 700m)

BC around Furano ski resort last weekend (15th of January)

Backcountry with a dog this week.

Togari Onsen today = 19th.

Alts Bandai and Nekoma.

35. Ramenman

A tiny local ski resort in Yamagata pref this month. It's small but fun after snowfall and it often snows there.

Another small local ski resort in Yamagata pref this month.

This is a video Kandatsu snow resort uploaded last night. The video says "Kandatsu's night skiing is from 6pm to 2am". Kandatsu is famous for long night skiing and the accessiblity from Tokyo is very good, so they are targeting people working in Tokyo. If I remember correctly, they used to have night skiing even longer, 4am. I like Kandatsu and have a lot of good memories there (it might be because we went there whenever it had good snowfall, though)

An Onsen village in Fukushima city filmed this month. There used to be a ski resort there but closed. It's one of our spring BC sites too.