Japan Japanese snow season 2016-17

gibbsy

Addicted
Aug 3, 2011
Not ideal, not much powder but still having a good time. Snowing moderately in Furano now and going BC tomorrow so hoping these northerlies now hitting hokkaido outperform. I can see some nice fishscales on the JMA sat pic
Booking flexibility is key. Basing trip plan on last seasons weather will have you missing snow more than weather knowledge will have you scoring it.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
please elaborate...
I arrive day after tomorrow
Lots of snow for Honshu.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_fe_9.png

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
And how's the outlook for central Hokkaido looking on or about the 20th? I know it's a way out still, but..

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
20-22nd Period looks pretty good on GFS.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_fe_45.png

17022212_0800.gif

CFS prefers the 22-23nd Feb.

But this is for Honshu, the poor couple of weeks in Hokkaido is forecast to continue.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Scored up to two feet of dry Hokkaido powder in BC near Kamui yesterday. Day of the trip. Shame it will be only deep powder day of short trip this year. It was a very brief flash of classic Hokkaido yesterday. Back to mild and sunny in central Hokkaido today

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Snow.forecast freeze level for central Japan was saying 1000m this afternoon, but I just couldn't see that on GFS.... Hakuba is still minus degrees, and was snowing lightly this morning at Happo and in the valley. Almost no wind, and moderate falling snow half way up. Up the very top a slight SW wind, consistent a weak low pressure trough in the Sea of Japan.
Snow forecast in Tokyo today by JMA, Osaka today and tomorrow, and in Fukuoka (Kyushu) for 3 days

Jon snow

Hard Yards
Jun 7, 2015
There was a sleety snow mix when I woke up in Tokyo this morning. Then turned to rain for the rest of the morning. Absolutely freezing standing in the rain waiting for our bus to the airport

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
snow is even in the forecast for Kagoshima
We're in Kagoshima atm (wishing we were still in northern Honshu though). It has been snowing on top of Sakurajima all day but only rain in the city so far. We were supposed to go to Yakushima Island this morning but all ferries and hydrofoils cancelled due to rough seas. A real blast of cold down here.

Last edited:

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
There was a sleety snow mix when I woke up in Tokyo this morning. Then turned to rain for the rest of the morning. Absolutely freezing standing in the rain waiting for our bus to the airport
verified by the Seafm Jnr crew currently in Tokyo.

Last edited:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Heavy snow warning for Hakuba, Otari, Omachi.

JMA advisories and warnings(in red).

Omachi-shi:
Heavy snow
Thunderstorm
Avalanche

Hakuba-mura:
Heavy snow
Thunderstorm
Avalanche

Otari-mura:
Heavy snow
Thunderstorm
Avalanche

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I'm hoping for a big change in Hokkaido forecast after these few days!!!
We leave hokkaido on the 18th of feb after being here for 2 months
Watch it return back to normal winter then and snow like crazy

Well, I'm getting there on the 21St. Some people say I'm a snow magnet, but I'm not so sure.... Perhaps my car is the snow magnet ;)

Oh, BTW, knee deep at Hakuba Norikura this morning ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: munders

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Constant light snow a Rusutsu yesterday. More people in the restaurant than on snow. Sunny at Niseko this morning.

What was rusutsu off-piste like?
Looks like nothing tonight in Hokkaido so trying to decide where to go tomorrow.

Snow should start tomorrow afternoon I hope

blutek

One of Us
Jun 2, 2003
central coast
What was rusutsu off-piste like? Looks like nothing tonight in Hokkaido so trying to decide where to go tomorrow. Snow should start tomorrow afternoon I hope

Offpiste and OOB was tracked but still okay on Thursday with light snow falling. Kiroro may be a better choice on Saturday and will get more snow than Rusutsu, when it starts to fall.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Offpiste and OOB was tracked but still okay on Thursday with light snow falling. Kiroro may be a better choice on Saturday and will get more snow than Rusutsu, when it starts to fall.

Not hopeful that any snow will turn up before lifts close at Kiroro. I'm guessing Niseko has been totally thrashed?

I'm thinking some fun in the trees at Rusutu or BC at Kokusai should be still some untracked stuff from Wednesday

Marc8491927

Hard Yards
Mar 28, 2015
Victoria
Not hopeful that any snow will turn up before lifts close at Kiroro. I'm guessing Niseko has been totally thrashed?

I'm thinking some fun in the trees at Rusutu or BC at Kokusai should be still some untracked stuff from Wednesday
I couldn't find anything likely in Niseko today, Kiroro for Sunday is our plan.

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Hmmmmm It's just nice and Japanese not spoilt by tourists yet, although as it's really advanced and for the adventurous I doubt it will be overrun

Bob
Yeah that's my impression of the place from what I've read. Definitely for the intrepid and experienced, and something you'd want a guide for. I'm jealous, hopefully I'll make it there someday. Enjoy :thumbs:

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
About 10cm overnight at Zao according to hotel staff. The ropeway queue is only out to 2 rotations. There's a nice buzz about the place.

Reactions: Froff Life

Partic

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2012
I'd be interested to hear what the experienced members think the warm weather this week means for hakuba's snow quality. There doesn't appear to be moisture with it, so I'm hoping not much. Our first day there is Friday. Thanks.

mr muddle

Hard Yards
Jun 3, 2016
Speaking from hakuba now it feels pretty goid to me. Today it snowed constantly til about 430pm. Not sure how warm its meant to get but there has been plenty over the last week. Should be fine

benjiboy

Hard Yards
Jan 9, 2005
Tahoe
Was puking last night in Kawaba and still snowing steadily. Not sure how much they had - maybe a foot. Pretty cold -7 or so at the base. Today looks good :)

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Yeah that's my impression of the place from what I've read. Definitely for the intrepid and experienced, and something you'd want a guide for. I'm jealous, hopefully I'll make it there someday. Enjoy :thumbs:

Guides are 4,000 yen a day each in a group booking and you will do some hiking 30 minutes or so, also snow shoes are required. Basically you get a guide for every ten people but the average is about 14 - 15. If money is not a problem then 40,000 yen will buy you a private guide

We had snow 30 cm first night,70 cm next night but both days we spent there visibility was an issue up high so we will be going back next year for a longer time as the snow monsters were awesome and would like to ski the top half with our eyes as well as our ski tips

At little Australia now and although the variety of terrain is good it's become to busy for my liking and your yen goes further elsewhere, coffee at Hanazono is good although $7 au a cup

Bob

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Kokusai carpark this morning
P_20170212_135439.jpg

And standing on top of my line-of-the-day
kokubackbowl12feb.jpg

Very busy here. Loads of guides taking tours over from Niseko (poor Niseko)

Still don't really get it why this area is getting snow and Niseko is not

harks98

Hard Yards
Jan 31, 2017
Hi First time poster here... Im heading over to Nozawa from the 22nd Feb for 10 days. Just curious what the outlook is like for that period or if anyone can point me to a long range forecast that I can read?

Cheers

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass