Question Japanese visitor to Thredbo

winter

One of Us
May 6, 2010
southern highlands, nsw
Hi all, regular poster over on the Japan thread. Need some help with a local here heading to Australia.

Background:
He runs a popular local crepe shop here in Myoko (Akakura Onsen) and because of the massive increase in Aussie visitors he wants to head over to Oz in June and check out the 'village vibe' and how things are done. To this end I've thought that his best bets would be Jindy and Thredbo. His focus is not on skiing but business.

Would I be on the right track with this idea? I was also thinking to suggest Falls and Bright. Haven't been to either place in over 25 years so I really have no idea.

What he needs:
I'm sussing out best options for getting to Jindy where he will base himself. From there he can maybe hire a car. I'm thinking it will be cheaper to be based in Jindy than Thredbo so looking for some reasonably priced accommodation options suitable for a bloke who speaks very little English. Any suggestions please?

Thanks in anticipation for any ideas.

@benchives ? @Ozgirl ? @dawooduck ? @Telemark Phat @Angus_McCrory ?
I love that man, so friendly and he loved our children's Japanese speaking as minimal as it was.
We are lodge members in Thredbo and will be the weekend of June 19. He is welcome as our guest. PM for more info if interested.

winter

One of Us
May 6, 2010
southern highlands, nsw
If driving to Jindy from Canberra he could stop in at the Bredbo Pancake and Crepe Shop. Never been there myself, so it may not be indicative of what he wants to provide to his clients. Anyone got any experiences from there?
Last year i actually drove past on a Sunday morning and it was open!! After years of speculation,wonder and my curious nature i stopped to investigate.
I walked in, the counters were lowered , i felt tall at 5.1. I stood there in anticipation.
I heard a few mutters from out the back, i was finally approached, not welcomed.
I left and will never return, strange beyond strange is my experience

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Last year i actually drove past on a Sunday morning and it was open!! After years of speculation,wonder and my curious nature i stopped to investigate.
I walked in, the counters were lowered , i felt tall at 5.1. I stood there in anticipation.
I heard a few mutters from out the back, i was finally approached, not welcomed.
I left and will never return, strange beyond strange is my experience
We stopped one summer a few years ago.
Friendly, huge yummy stomach filling crepes.
They seemed friendly.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I love that man, so friendly and he loved our children's Japanese speaking as minimal as it was.
We are lodge members in Thredbo and will be the weekend of June 19. He is welcome as our guest. PM for more info if interested.

Thanks Winter I'll certainly pass that on! :):thumbs: Will let you know by email or PM once I hear.

Last edited:

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Love this post :)

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Thanks so much everyone. The response has blown me away, but then again I do tell everyone that this is the best forum around - full of happy, helpful and knowledgeable punters indeed.

At present our man has taken off to DJ for the summer (haha, not really @BobGnarly - good one!). No, he's following the cherry blossoms in his crepe van for a month or two. Wife is trying to get some messages to him with the extra info.

Reactions: BobGnarly
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
There is a couple in Berridale who own the Sushi Van. The wife is Japanese and may be willing to help. The only other Japanese residents in the area I now of moved away a couple of seasons ago.

There is a Japanese man (in his 50's I think) that works for Oz Snow (backpacker bus trips) and lives on site at East Jindabyne in Winter. Might be worth trying to get in contact with him- his name is Shingo and he has been doing Aus summers in Japan and Oz winters in Thredbo/East Jindabyne for Oz Snow for forever! He is definitely bilingual and knows the area. He is friends with my partner, I can ask him to ask him if he can help if it's something he would be interested in? In June (and particularly mid week) those bus trips are much more sedate than mid season weekends which are manic (and as such wouldn't be appropriate).

Last edited:

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
Bright doesn't have much winter vibe at night, especially midweek.Cafe owners used to (may still) take annual holidays in August because it was so quiet. Mt Beauty has more winter evening vibe than Bright, but still not a lot. Driving to Falls every day is a whole lot easier than driving to Hotham everyday so there are quite a lot of potential Japan skiers who stay (or live) in Mt Beauty.

Still i would have thought Jindy would have a lot more going on than Bright or Mt Beauty

Agree about avoiding June.

Agree about Bright, IMO Dinner Plain has the best ski village vibe in Vicco, has it's own little pomma and is only a 15-20 min drive to Hotham.

Last edited:

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Thanks a lot @AJS and @skichanger

Our man has gone missing after chasing the cherry blossoms with his crepe truck all the way up to Hokkaido. Will pass on those when/if we hear back from him.

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
Given COVID over the last Japanese winter it’s probably a good thing he didn’t spend too much on this - how are these types of Japanese businesses faring?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass