Japanese Whisky

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
You can still get heaps of Single Malt Yoichi, but it's no age label.... unless you go to Rakuten where you can pay 30,000-40,000 yen for a 12yo.

HOWEVER, if you know what you're doing, you can find Glenfaclas17yo single malt scotch for 7000yen, or Bowmore Islay 18yo for 8500yen.

Back in the day you would just go to Yamaya and stock up, you didnt even need to think about it.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
You can still get some decent deals on whiskey at duty free, you just have to be flexible on what you want. And that means no Japanese whiskey haha

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
The bulk food store on the road up to Happo from the station sells lamb roasts, no bone. Reasonable price as well. (aussie connection there).

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Where is this ?
My local OK supermarket. OK supermarket started in Yokohama's "little America" part of Honmoku, maybe 20 years ago.There's a high concentration of expats and it started originally to cater for more foreign food needs, so while it's still Japanese, you can get more variety at cheap Japanese prices. (fully foreign catering supermarkets are often really expensive)
There are now loads of the them mostly near Yokohama and around Tokyo.

https://tokyocheapo.com/living/household/tokyo-cheap-supermarket-ok/
See the map at the bottom.
However, I don't know for sure if all of them stock exactly the same items. I'd say that the closer to where I live (where there's more expats), the more foreign food will be available. They used to have full racks of lamb about 5 years ago, and they were only 1000 yen each. Not these days

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
My local OK supermarket. OK supermarket started in Yokohama's "little America" part of Honmoku, maybe 20 years ago.There's a high concentration of expats and it started originally to cater for more foreign food needs, so while it's still Japanese, you can get more variety at cheap Japanese prices. (fully foreign catering supermarkets are often really expensive)

However, I don't know for sure if all of them stock exactly the same items. I'd say that the closer to where I live (where there's more expats), the more foreign food will be available. They used to have full racks of lamb about 5 years ago, and they were only 1000 yen each. Not these days
Are there any near Costco ?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Are there any near Costco ?

Near Costco Kawasaki: To the NW OK Kawasaki Honten, near the river. 219 yen/100g
https://www.google.com.au/search?tb...!3d35.524673761381926!3m2!1i1103!2i680!4f13.1

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
The thing to remember is that Japanese uber expensive whiskey tastes the same as it did when it wasn't.

Taketsuru 21yr old, $22 a half bottle ..... Hokkaido powder free

upload_2017-10-21_14-51-7.jpeg

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I was never much of a whiskey drinker until a mate gave me some 21yr old Hibiki a couple of seasons ago , and it was like that scene from the Blues Brothers ' I have seen the light' .
Similar. A mate does all the marketing for Diageo the company that brings many liquor brands into Australia.

Someone there made a mistake and imported 4,000 cases of Johnny Walker blue instead of 4,000 bottles. He had cases of JW Blue for a good while so we imbibed considerably. Now I can't drink cheap whisky. Damn.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
I've been making my own whisky for 3 seasons now, after making grappa for years and my family has been making it for decades. My whisky is by no means good yet, but it's getting better.

Reactions: Gumbo

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Yeah absolutely
Good surface area etc but better than 'flavouring'
At least on your block you can store some barrels!

It's not storing them, it's finding them in good enough condition for a reasonable price that's the issue. That's why a lot of people use chips. Chips and planks taste OK, but it never seems to get in deep enough, so you end up with either a weird mid taste or after taste. Your stil makes a lot of difference too, luckily I have a really good copper one.

Reactions: piolet

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
E93B4D27-08F0-4113-A286-10A4AF707552.jpeg
My purchases at a couple of different supermarkets in Kutchan and Furano last month, except the Dalwhinnie. Seems like the range of premium whiskies is gone from the average local place now, with just one gem to pounce on in each place

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
I would always go to a Yamaya over any supermarket these days, more likely to have a much better range and at a slightly better price. Supermarket is OK for the stuff you want to drive every night while you're over there, but Yamaya is for stuff you want to bring back to AUS.

MrScorpio

Hard Yards
Dec 2, 2017
On my last couple of trips to Japan for business i have managed to find a Yamazaki Disillers Reserve ( local version ) and a Nikka “Tailored”, at BIC Camera.

The Yamazaki was only marginally below the price of Dans here, but the Nikka, which is a blend, was about 6000 jpy, and reasonable drinking for the price. I also got a Suntory AO which was not worth bringing back. The Tailored and AO are both tourist trap whisky, but i would still buy the Tailored again - just not here in Oz where the price is inflated...

My work colleague has bought Yamazaki 12 in BIC camera in the past 2 years, but you may need to go back repeatedly in order to be there at the right time.

Also visited the Yamazaki distillery between Kyoto and Osaka. Well worth the visit, but you need to book it WELL in advance.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
On my last couple of trips to Japan for business i have managed to find a Yamazaki Disillers Reserve ( local version ) and a Nikka “Tailored”, at BIC Camera.

The Yamazaki was only marginally below the price of Dans here, but the Nikka, which is a blend, was about 6000 jpy, and reasonable drinking for the price. I also got a Suntory AO which was not worth bringing back. The Tailored and AO are both tourist trap whisky, but i would still buy the Tailored again - just not here in Oz where the price is inflated...

My work colleague has bought Yamazaki 12 in BIC camera in the past 2 years, but you may need to go back repeatedly in order to be there at the right time.

Also visited the Yamazaki distillery between Kyoto and Osaka. Well worth the visit, but you need to book it WELL in advance.
You don't find anything at Bic these days.
Better to go to Shinanoya, and go after Nikka Coffey Grain or Coffey Malt, Suntory The Chita, or Shinshu Mars Cosmo or Mars Iwai Tradition.

MrScorpio

Hard Yards
Dec 2, 2017
You don't find anything at Bic these days.
Better to go to Shinanoya, and go after Nikka Coffey Grain or Coffey Malt, Suntory The Chita, or Shinshu Mars Cosmo or Mars Iwai Tradition.
Thanks for that. I hadn’t tried them but i do see them quite a bit. Will see how i go next time i visit later this year.

I hear what you are saying about BIC Camera, but given i am not in a big city, and usually stay for a week, i can back to the store repeatedly. I have to pass by one near my hotel and i reckon i find something decent maybe 25% of the time. Sadly I have only been drinking whisky for 2 years or so.. But i had been travelling to Japan for at least 10 years before that for work. It breaks my heart to know what i missed out on !

These days i am also trying a bit of Tasmanian whisky. I went to a Hawks corporate day recently and tried Overeem, Launceston Distillery, Spring bay, and my favourite, Hobart Whisky Bourbon Cask from Devils Distillery - wow. It’s way too expensive for regular drinking though...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums