Trip Report JB Plain to Paw Paw Plain. XC ski day trip. July 6th 2021

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your Correspondent in the field woke up before dawn on Tuesday July 6th 2021 . I was camping by the Ovens river and having packed up early went into Harrietville to get some more drinking water and use the loo there. Then came the drive up and over Mt. Hotham. Chains were being fitted to ALL VEHICLES at the Dungey's Hollow chain bay. Thankfully it was not windy or too cold . It can be an ordeal fitting chains up there in hostile weather. The scenery was beautiful, spectacular and memorable. It had snowed on Sunday night with strong winds and horizontal ice was attached to many trees and road poles.
Then next section of the road was TREACHEROUS. I had to concentrate. It was ICY and steep. I crawled along in the Tee Mobile having fitted my chains, driving in LOW GEAR.
_SAM0067.JPG
_SAM0068.JPG
_SAM0069.JPG
_SAM0070.JPG
_SAM0071.JPG
_SAM0072.JPG
_SAM0073.JPG
_SAM0074.JPG
_SAM0075.JPG
_SAM0076.JPG
_SAM0077.JPG
_SAM0078.JPG
_SAM0079.JPG
_SAM0081.JPG
_SAM0082.JPG

_SAM0083.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Then came the drive to JB Plain and the half day ski out to Paw Paw Plain to have some lunch in the sun.
The ski trail was icy and had bare patches. In fact I have skied this route a number of times but this time it was not safe to ski down the long curving drop to Mother Johnson's picnic area with the icy conditions and bare patches. There simply was not enough snow to snow plough and stem Christie turn the metal edged skis on. So it was skis on / skis off .

There was no grooming and the surface would have been very good if I was there the day before on fresh snow with fresh tracks. It would have been 20 cms fresh but it was tracked out and melting in the sun. I got into a rhythm after lunch and was back at the car by 1445 , having had a nice half day tour on planks, now with a few more scratches on them from exposed gravel and side stepping , herringboning etc. on stones etc..
The snow cover improved near Paw Paw Plain as I gained elevation, XC skiing towards Mt. Hotham .
When I got back to the Tee Mobile my friend KJ had left a note to say she was Nordic skiing near Wire Plain.
I later met with her at her house in Myrtle ford where I stayed that night.
_SAM0084.JPG
_SAM0085.JPG
_SAM0086.JPG
_SAM0087.JPG
_SAM0088.JPG
_SAM0089.JPG
_SAM0090.JPG
_SAM0091.JPG
_SAM0092.JPG

Reactions: skimax and djam

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Paw Paw plain. Lunch and the return trip on skis to JB Hut and the trip to Myrtleford by car. The Mt. Hotham road became fogged over and icy after 3 pm. It was a bit hairy, nay TREACHEROUS to drive over the summit and back to the chain bay where I was one of many removing wheel chains for the remaining descent to Harrietville.
_SAM0093.JPG
_SAM0095.JPG
_SAM0094.JPG
_SAM0096.JPG
_SAM0098.JPG
_SAM0100.JPG
_SAM0101.JPG
_SAM0102.JPG
_SAM0103.JPG
_SAM0105.JPG
_SAM0106.JPG
_SAM0107.JPG
_SAM0108.JPG
_SAM0109.JPG
_SAM0110.JPG
_SAM0111.JPG

MIROU

Hard Yards
Oct 15, 2018
Leykaul, Belgium, Europe
Thanks for all these beautiful photos and the dreaming effect it gives !!!!!!!!!!!!! Mirou here again surely I am too far and too old to be part of all these adventures, but its good to read about your nice trip and its fantastic to see how Australia has evoluated since my days in Falls Creek ..... it gives me joy but also sadness ..... thank you to who ever for sending me that report, both text and photos are unbelievable .... for me !

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Thanks for all these beautiful photos and the dreaming effect it gives !!!!!!!!!!!!! Mirou here again surely I am too far and too old to be part of all these adventures, but its good to read about your nice trip and its fantastic to see how Australia has evoluated since my days in Falls Creek ..... it gives me joy but also sadness ..... thank you to who ever for sending me that report, both text and photos are unbelievable .... for me !
Thank you and Merci beaucoup for your interest and reply. I was listening to Pink Floyd : The Early years disc 2 (1967-72) on the drive down the mountain. I was driving very carefully and slowly as I always do . I always pull over, take photos and let other cars go past me when driving in the mountains esp. in winter.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
So I gather you didn't get to try the new gear? Boots, skis, bindings? I always used to listen to PF on the way up, Miles on the way down. More eclectic these days.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
So I gather you didn't get to try the new gear? Boots, skis, bindings? I always used to listen to PF on the way up, Miles on the way down. More eclectic these days.
The snow cover out past JB Plain up to Paw Paw Plain was a bit marginal/&/or not there in places. I need deeper snow to really test the new gear out, charge down hills and throw in the edges etc. You need 30 cms + for that kind of skiing IMHO.
I was playing " Miles Smiles" in the car too along with Samantha Fish. She is good and you ought to check her recent music out.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass