1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Jetlag AEST to PST

Discussion in 'Canada' started by greensnow, Oct 18, 2019.

1. greensnow

greensnow Hard Yards

We are doing a short visit to Whistler this season, so would like to minimise jetlag. Looks like 8am PST is 2am AEST.

Is it best to practice waking up at 4am for a few days in Australia, jump on the plane and then force yourself to get up local time? Any other tricks? How does everyone else find it?

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I am a fan of the batter your body into submission theory. When you arrive stay up to your normal bedtime in the new time zone. Do not nap. A long walk and exposure to sunlight is part of the torture.

Early adaptation at home makes sense but I always seem to be too busy just before departure.

Richard, zac150, Fozzie Bear and 8 others like this.
  3. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

QF11 to LAX. Alaskan to Vancouver, arrive around 1930. Bus to to Whistler, about 2 hours. Shop, eat, drink. Bed at midnight, 8 hours sleep. Winning. :thumbs:

Chalkie, Ozgirl, Ret-ro and 1 other person like this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

1000000% this.

My threshold is 8 or 9pm - you absolutely must make it to that time and if you nap you ruin it for days and days.

You might find yourself awake at 5am but that works for me as I’m a bit of a late sleeper generally so it reboots me to an early bed/early rise cycle for the holiday.

5. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Exactly this.

6. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I reiterate the above. That is my exact plan every time.
    I’m sure to have only 2 pints in the two hours before I sleep.
    Works for me.

7. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

8. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Lots of water, on the flight and afterward. Dehydration happens easily on long flights. Makes jet lag worse than it already is.

Keep moving, walk around and check out a new city. As others have said, napping is not good, you should stay up until local evening. You already sat enough on the flight, so get moving now. Use the hotel gym or pool, whatever. Get the blood flowing and loosen up joints and muscles abused by 16 hours of sitting.

9. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

The only exception to this is if you do not sleep on planes (=me). When we arrived in Vancouver early in the morning (Jan 2018) we were able to check in to the hotel straight away (ie 9.30am). Had a 90 minute sleep, then up and out and about sightseeing. Forced myself to stay awake until 10pm. Then into a routine. If you can sleep on planes, all power to you.

10. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I agree with the others....
    In the last year, I've traveled 5 times to time zones with significant jet lag (8 hours behind,14 hours behind), with another 2 in the next 2 months (Total 3 x Europe, 4 x US).
    When I get on the flight, I work out what time it will be in the arrival country, and try to sleep for maybe 4 hours on the flight in the new time zone's sleep time. When I arrive, I stay up until 11pm / midnight, then sleep.

11. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

We are doing a similar thing, We overnight in Tokyo, The overnighter to Vancouver arriving at lunch same day. Stay up and go to bed , 3 days there and off to Sun Peaks.

12. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I do this. Go to the new zone once I’m on the plane. Use pills to sleep and stay up until normal time once I get there. Never had a problem with jet lag heading over, suffer more when I get home.

Apresski and Sbooker like this.
  13. Sbooker

I think it’s the excitement going over - you don’t notice even if you have jet lag. New ski hill!:D

chicski likes this.
  14. chicski

Quite possibly!

15. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Exercise is also one of the best ways to beat it, so when you're walking around a city on holiday, or skiing, it's pretty easy. Then you're tired and can usually sleep ok when it's bedtime. Coming home is usually harder because you're tryng to do the work/sleep routine. But the whole east/west thing rings true for me. Coming home from EU earlier this year was shocking. Back from US/Canada usually isn't as bad

chicski likes this.
  16. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I can't sleep on planes either (I've tried everything), so I try to arrive at the destination in the morning. I then have a hot shower, double shot espresso and proceed to explore the town/exercise/do whatever. I am usually unconscious by 10 pm and sleep the whole night. I went to sleep once upon arriving and felt truly shocking for the rest of the day. Just shows that everyone is different.

No jet leg coming back from US/Canada, but coming back from Europe usually hits me harder than going over there. I've tried melatonin tablets, but it made no difference. Works for some people, though!

17. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I can't sleep on planes.

I do try to just close my eye and 'rest' though. I try not to stimulate my brain. (Movies etc) YK would do both, little sleep, little TV/movies and always suffered.

I don't have an issue with jetlag, never have. Land in the US and drive to Tahoe. Or Seattle and drive to whistler.

I hate flying during the day - makes me I'll because the cabin is set to an environment made for sleep.

18. sly_karma

Not hard to sleep on planes if it's a night flight and you have drugs. My personal preference is Zopiclone, the generic version of Imovane or Zimovane. It's a prescription medication but very effective if taken sparingly to prevent habituation. I've been using these for about 5 years, takes a year or so to go through 30 pills. Half a pill puts me away for a solid 4 hours and doesnt leave me with a sedative 'hangover'.

19. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    mid winter is when AEDT and PST are closest. BC is still on PDT so 9:00am PDT is 3:00am AEDT. Daylight Saving ends Nov 3rd and then the gap shortens to 5 hours (we're on business calls and emails daily calls with Vancouver so AUS summer gives us the most compatible office hours)

we never really have an issue with jetlag going to PST. Push through until 9.00pm and you'll be fine. Our kids have always been good with this as well.

I'm also a fan of getting on the plane and immediately moving to PST. Not only does it help with getting in sync with your destination time zone but you can justify getting on the pinot earlier as well ;)

20. Ozgirl

I hate this time of year RE business meetings.

For a month you can't assume the time, because we have moved, the US have, but next week Europe has.

Does my head in.

21. chicski

Agree. I use zolpidem (stilnox). 1/2 a pill gets me 5 hrs or so with no after effects. I can and have driven straight from the airport after using it on long haul flights. I’ll sometimes take another my first night to force my body into the new time zone.

22. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I flew around the world around a lot during my last few years of work, in both directions, and experimented with various sleeping pills. Folks can have very different reactions to different pills. Alprazolam (Xanax) is my preferred one - as you say, used sparingly to avoid habituation. But it's been super-scheduled (schedule 8) in Australia, so virtually impossible to get there now, and I haven't tried in Canada yet. I'm down to my last few pills. I cut them in half! But if I wake at 2am/3am following a longhaul flight, half a one takes me through to 6am.

I can second the effectiveness of Zopliclone (what my doctor prescribed after Xanax was superscheduled), but it gives me a terrible metallic taste in my mouth for about 4-6 hours after I wake up.

I've found good old Valium to be pretty good too. It doesn't send you into a deep sleep, but it can be helpful in nodding off and staying asleep.

A few words of caution: I gave up taking sleeping pills on flights after I developed a DVT, followed by a pulmonary embolism, after taking a sleeping pill on a transpac flight (QF93 MEL-LAX, which leaves MEL at 9.30am and gets into LAX at 6.30am, which depending on the time of year is about midnight MEL time. Really irritating scheduling). My doctor said "it's called economy class syndrome". I replied "I was in f+*king first class!". The haematologist speculated that the prolonged period of immobilisation (I sleep on my side and one leg must have been on top of the other) in a low pressure environment compressed the walls of peroneal vein in my calf and allowed a clot to form (from just below the knee to just above the ankle!). I did six months of warfarin therapy, and I now inject heparin before and after flights longer than about 8-9 hours, and wear pressure stockings on those longhaul flights.

23. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Talk to your doctor about Xarelto. It is pills, and what my cardio has prescribed for prophylaxis on flights.

Chalkie likes this.
  24. sly_karma

Same for me, metallic taste is super harsh. Def makes me think twice before taking one - do I really need this? My doc says about 15% of population possess some enzyme that causes this. Or lack it, I cant remember which. So most people won't have this issue with Zopiclone.

Chalkie likes this.
  25. Stick

Stick Addicted

Do what my friends and I did. Leave Melbourne, fly to LAX, straight onto Vancouver, go to hockey & pub.. Get home at 5am just in time to call the wife back home and say goodnight.. Granted woke up very sore the next morning & it did take us a while to get going, but worth it..

zac150 likes this.
  26. Sbooker

Lol. Don't do this. It results in a couple days of pain and a further couple of days of feeling 'not right'.
    *I'm not twenty any more.

27. Sandy

I was in Texas last month.... Part of the time, I was working remotely, and had to keep track of Japan time, Romania time, Finland time and Sweden time.... and time in Australia!!! Just switching from Japan time to Texas time was doing my head in for the first week!!

28. Ozgirl

Mate this is always open on a work browser - cities change daily!!

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20191118&p1=240&p2=236&p3=25

29. Sandy

Ozgirl likes this.
  30. Ozgirl

And dual zone in outlook!

31. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Word to the wise.
    At 11pm over Guam. Panadols and restavits are similar in shape.

My wife dropped 2 restavits .

She was .... sleepy as hell LOL

32. kylep

I have US west coast and EU times in addition to local in mine! Both suck for meetings!

33. chicski

I flew back from Thailand once, overnight flight. Took a stilnox to sleep, must have woken at sometime and took another. I still don’t remember the trip from the plane, through customs etc and the car trip to my brother’s. He was driving! Got to his and went back to bed. I now only carry one pill on board with me LOL

cruisin along and Donzah like this.
  34. Donzah

you were wearing a tutu and a sock

*same with mrs donza... she didn't get her shit together till the day after

35. Taipan

Taipan Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting discussion about long flights and tablets.

Warning if flying long distances makes you squeamish, do not read this story.

We have flown a lot between SYD-YVR-YKA rtn.

Last year, wife I flew Syd -YVR Air Canada, A bit over halfway across, lights are down.

Majority of passengers are asleep. Majority of aircrew have gone to bed.

We were fortunate to be up the front. My wife had settled down to go to sleep. She is in the cubicle in front of me.

I was watching a movie. About 20 minutes to go.

Suddenly two crew appear walking fast up the aisle, going forward to a cabinet and taking out thick manuals. A moment later another two on the other side.

Lent over and woke my wife up. ”somethings going on. Wake up.”

Sat up paying attention. Within minutes the rest of the crew emerge and are talking seriously in gallery areas. That's not normal.

Then all the lights come up. Highly unusual.

People start to wake up.

Then the Captain comes on the intercom.

”Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. I'm sorry to disturb you. There is no cause for alarm. We have had a smoke warning indicator light in the rear cargo bay. As a precaution we will be diverting to Hawaii. Please follow the instructions of your crew.”

Now as an avid watcher of Air Crash Investigation, you get two scenarios. 1st, the most common, is nothing happens. 2nd is, things start slowly and then deteriorate suddenly and usually catastrophically.

Aircrew came through. We all had to practice our brace positions correctly. Know our primary and secondary escape routes out of the aircraft. A small number of people became emotional and we're professionally calmed down.

Later the Captain came on.

Ladies and Gentlemen this is your Captain speaking. Thank you for your assistance with our crew. Shortly we will be landing in Hawaii. When we land, please do not be alarmed as emergency vehicles will surrounded the aircraft. Should we need to evacuate the aircraft, we will not be using the rear two slides.

Around 2.00am Hawaii we landed. We rolled to the end of the runway. Flashing lights, fire trucks surrounded the aircraft.

My wife pointed out a second set of fire trucks sitting a couple a hundred metres away. We found out later, they were out there in case the plane exploded. There job would have been to rescue their friends Not us.

Fire crews came around the aircraft searching for any signs of escaping smoke or fire.

After a thorough inspection we were allowed to a taxi to a taxiway. Again aircraft inspected. Only then did we get directed to a gate.

By pure chance, I walked past the cockpit as the first officer emerged from the cockpit. He was white as a sheet and exhausted. He had been scared and been through the ”wringer” so to speak.

Eventually we went through US Customers. The captain was in the last group with us. Some of us got talking with him.

I always remember his comment. ”The last thing a Captain wants to see. A fire warning indicator light in a cargo bay, 600 nautical miles from land, over open ocean at night.”

A passenger suggested. Could it have been a bit like Sully? The landing on the Hudson, and the only successful landing by a commercial jet on water. Something extremely difficult to do. Let alone on the open ocean.

The Captain, replied. Landing on the open ocean at night, would make Sully look like a training exercise.

Air Canada looked after us. The next night, we flew out on the same aircraft with the majority of the same crew. The explanation. A faulty censor.

Consequently I'll never fly and take any sleeping tablets.

cruisin along likes this.
  36. chicski

If the plane is going to crash, I’d rather sleep through it. In any case, I take a low dose and can be woken and function. I just might not remember it afterwards!

Ozgirl likes this.
  37. cruisin along

cruisin along A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don’t sleep even though I try but being a person who can get by with minimal sleep helps. When arriving at destination I go by their time and sleep by 9.00pm ....next day is brilliant.
    Home journey though is different and at times the lack of sleep hits hard ....so I believe on returning home be the sightseer as if you are still travelling and book accomodation for that first night back ......do not go home and collapse like most of us do.

Ozgirl likes this.
  38. sly_karma

Flying back to Australia from Canada is the better leg by far for me. AC late departure means 90% of the flight is in darkness, you arrive in SYD after an extra-long sleep and brekky an hour or so out. No problem functioning for the full day and going to bed at local 10 pm. Mrs Sly insists on having the first night booked in a hotel in Sydney so she doesn't have to be "on" for family and friends. We do touristy stuff for the afternoon and evening, eat somewhere casual and just play life as it comes. The next day we take the train to Wollongong and then it's on, 2-3 weeks of nonstop visits and functions.

I get paid out big time on the way back to Canada though. This time more than 50% of the flight is in daylight and you get a very short night even if you do sleep ok. You arrive at dawn and have to somehow function for the full day and be bright and chirpy for family and friends. Wish we could just sneak home but daughter always insists on picking us up at airport and then it's a nonstop highly detailed account of everything that happened while we were away.

Chalkie and cruisin along like this.
  39. Ozgirl

Done that before!

At home!!!

40. Ozgirl

ohhhh how do you get a third??

41. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

At 0800 in Chamonix Temazapan and Antibiotics can look the same too. Ask me how LOL

zac150, Donzah and Ozgirl like this.
  42. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Great thread!

I think flight times help and hinder.

I know lots of people promote the overnight flight, but I remember a late flight to Malaysia, we were so excited it took a while to calm down, then we got a few hours sleep and arrived early 5:00 am and was knackered.

Last Sydney to Vancouver I arrived okay, well as good as I could, and had followed the smash myself technique promoted above. I plan this technique again this year, late night the night before, get up early and then get on the flight tired and looking to sleep.

I haven’t taken sleeping pills but I did take a muscle relaxant in the flight back from Canada last time and it was gold! So good I’ll be buying more mire this year in Canada before coming home.

one thing I will say is that as a kid I was lucky enough to be around a lot of the AIS guys that went overseas. I remember a trip a few guys did to South America and they weren’t allowed to sleep in ever. They were allowed short afternoon power nap’s and that’s it. Apparently sleeping in makes you more fatigued.

43. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Another vote for this.

+1 suffers from jet lag more than I and so her strategy with long flights is to book a flight that arrives 6~10 pm destination time, hit the accom bed ASAP and start new day at around 7am. This usually means departure well before midday ex Syd and as little sleeping in transit as possible.

44. Donzah

Jet lag is like hangovers to me.
    You never know what you're going to get.

I will say. A good swim in a hotel pool (or onsen) does wonders.

45. kylep

It's just there under options>calendar>time zones - There's a 'Show a second time zone', then 'Show a Third Time Zone'

46. Ozgirl

Hmmm - my version doesn't have that (we are behind the times though!