Opinion Journalists Interviewing Numptys about Riding

SkiMountaineer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2012
Newcastle NSW
Recently there was a tragic snowsport accident and I was pretty unimpressed with the journalism and quotes from riders interviewed. One which stood out to me was a bloke talking about the run and part of his comment was "you just try to stay in control when you can". My brain translated that to mean "I should not be on this run".

This reflects poorly on everyone and implies the young fella was outside his limits, which my gut feeling was he wasn't. Why do journalists insist on interviewing numptys?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Why did Lisa Wilkinson delay the trial for months.

There is a cult of personality over actual job description perhaps. The facts are not as important as entertainment, which is all it is becoming.

IMO

But I could be wrong, maybe they are great, and wise, really wise.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Recently there was a tragic snowsport accident and I was pretty unimpressed with the journalism and quotes from riders interviewed. One which stood out to me was a bloke talking about the run and part of his comment was "you just try to stay in control when you can". My brain translated that to mean "I should not be on this run".

This reflects poorly on everyone and implies the young fella was outside his limits, which my gut feeling was he wasn't. Why do journalists insist on interviewing numptys?

Well you have swallowed the fly and started talking about the story. Journo wins.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
"you just try to stay in control when you can". My brain translated that to mean "I should not be on this run".
Funny my brain translates this to “I don’t want to be on the hill with you”.

To be honest this is not the worst of the reporting on this matter, as @Ramshead said in the Thredbo thread, the insistence to mention he was a private school kid (no longer went to school) was ridiculous.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Latest post in the Thredbo reports thread, “shit happens on the hill”

Looks like the gnarly dudes are taking it up! Wild Stallion!

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
Well you have swallowed the fly and started talking about the story. Journo wins.
After reading said horrible clickbait article after it being referred to on here, I can say that the journalist is not worth her salt and does not even perform basic fact checking i.e. conflating araphoe basin ski resort and thredbo, and posting the mountain bike trail map as the"crash site". I then decided to see what other articles they had written, and what a surprise all click bait crap, so I guess they win.

They also failed to publish my comment where I pointed out all the factual errors in their article - so it goes to show where there actual job it i.e. clickbait and not any factual reporting.

catzizme

Hard Yards
Apr 5, 2020
For someone who's supposed to be smart, a lot of stupid shit comes out of her mouth.
It's just habit to these journalists now, they're in it for the clicks and not to report facts. Fact = hasn't gone to trial and we live in Australia where innocent until proven guilty.

I am so poor journalism, it's rife, you have to read multiple publications now or do the research yourself to gain any credible knowledge.

Reactions: RustyJ

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
After reading said horrible clickbait article after it being referred to on here, I can say that the journalist is not worth her salt and does not even perform basic fact checking i.e. conflating araphoe basin ski resort and thredbo, and posting the mountain bike trail map as the"crash site". I then decided to see what other articles they had written, and what a surprise all click bait crap, so I guess they win.

They also failed to publish my comment where I pointed out all the factual errors in their article - so it goes to show where there actual job it i.e. clickbait and not any factual reporting.
And right there is the sad state of modern "journalism".

SkiMountaineer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2012
Newcastle NSW

Yes they didn't publish my comments either.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass