Outside the RAN Thredbo
That looks outstanding

Reactions: NewTurns

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
yep i think if i were travelling to thredbo or perisher i would have been on the road around 6:30 to beat the mayhem or stayed in bed like Dr woodduck

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Stuck in traffic 10km away from Thredbo. No movement for past 10min :(
There's been a bingle as posted earlier.
I left earlier then I normally would which is still earliy. Decided to drive on to Perisher as almost all cars and an ambulance with sirens went Thredbo/ski tube way.

Not sure if I'd want to be driving up to Perisher now as I'm sure as the morning gets on there will be lots more cars and idiots on the road. Depending on conditions I'll also leave early to avoid this afternoons carnage.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Woke to snow on the ground in Berridale this morning. And memories of my childhood with frozen washing. Silly me for not bringing it in. The snow will be gone here fairly soon though.

bengarden

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 24, 2014
I ran into normo for first lifts and even he didn't drive up today and did the tube. That tells you something. Sitting in mid Perisher after hiking up from top goats gulley through the Antarctic. Looks like interceptor is going so will go check that out. Really nice snow today. Dry and lots of it

phantomas

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2005
Darwin
I don't go in for dissing drivers in rare blizzard type conditions. For 98% of Australians, frozen roads are a brand new experience.

Sure ignorance is an excuse, even if the law says it isn't #legalfiction, and we have all done stupid things, but we can all learn from this, while delivering a cheap shot.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Absolutely, but that doesnt mean you dont use your brain and as you said stay off the roads. Plenty of Aussies go to overseas locations for a couple of weeks a year and drive in snowy conditions they'll never encounter in AUS and somehow manage to not bin it.

Good oh. Not here, adds generalised comments.

Warrior status

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Sure ignorance is an excuse, even if the law says it isn't #legalfiction, and we have all done stupid things, but we can all learn from this, while delivering a cheap shot.

Indeed, people on snow holidays wanting to go skiing encounter sheet ice road in a below snowline town .... Internet warriors miles away give comments.

Dissing drivers on a morning like this is a total mugs game

Reactions: TomGroggon

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Comes under same general heading as driving into flooded streams , swimming in the Ocean .
Common sense is not always ....common.
Simply punters don't know what they don't know.

Reactions: Claude Cat

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Indeed, people on snow holidays wanting to go skiing encounter sheet ice road in a below snowline town .... Internet warriors miles away give comments.

A friend showed me a photo of an XR6 parked at Perisher yesterday with chains on the front wheels. Sorry but people are inherently stupid.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Comes under same general heading as driving into flooded streams , swimming in the Ocean .
Common sense is not always ....common.
Simply punters don't know what they don't know.

And "punters", another term that adds what value exactly.

Stralya

Reactions: TomGroggon
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013
I observe that not many snow cams working at Falls - all the electricians must be on the slopes

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
People pay a heap to go to the snow, therefore big incentive to get to destination.
No one deliberately tries to drive off the road ,
large number of vehicles, probability of a car going off increases
If there is legit black ice around , any one of us driving legends ( ive driven for xxx years, in Austria , up Hotham etc et) could go off the road , Of course experience does reduce (but not eliminate that risk)
Normo going up the ski tube is instructive , highly experienced decision not based on whether he can stay on the road or not, but simply reducing his commute time and certainty of not getting stuck either on the road up or down.
Now a once in a year snow visitor will not likely have that experience to make such a decision.

snowblowa

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2010
Essendon
I observe accept for Lake Mountain, a massive win for northern and southern resorts. Great to see Buller get some love IMO Thredbo's gotta be insane today, #BlackSalleeTrees.....shhhhhhhhh :whistle:

Reactions: dawooduck

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Apparently there has been a landslide at Suggan Buggan (is that even a real place LOL?)

Ignore me - its old....

phantomas

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2005
Darwin

well yeah, that's what you do on the internet not sure why you are so upset about this...

hang on a minute..
Why are you staying home?
If that was one of your cars or one of your friends then I do apologize

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Why?

The only reason to catch tube over drive the whole way is if the snow is bad from say Wilson's to Perisher... any lower and say sames.

Because it's school holidays and majority of people cannot drive in blizzard conditions like this, it will be chaos with punters trying to fumble around and fit chains

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
And "punters", another term that adds what value exactly.

Stralya

Slang / jargon quite often bandied about in my experience.
Not intended as derogatory btw.
Meaning the average person or the masses.
Not meaning those well experienced or of higher skill set in a given activity or pursuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass