Observations July 2020 Tasman Low

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Hey @Steve777 thanks for the feedback.
Noted on your standpoint. Have you subscribed to 'Watch Thread' (top right of page)? This means you get notified on each post so you're across both.

In the height of winter we can get views exceeding 50-60k on each system alone, and 100's of posts of thread contributions, that's a lot of moderating and a lot to take in as viewer.

The idea behind 'predictions' & 'obs' is to filter down for viewer digestion, considering the traffic we typically see this time of year. Noting some just wanna know what the latest model prognosis, whilst others just want to contribute/view conditions etc. Some want both, hence why it's best to just sub to your preferences.

However, I do concede I thought we'd see a fair bit more discussion on this anomalous system, considering it's affecting a lot of Eastern Seaboard.
Without any change we'll keep it in mind for future systems when it's beyond the Alpine-scope.

Great reply and it's why ski.com is so much better than the old WZ forums. Mods are onto stuff all the time and actually care about the members and are open to their thoughts/ideas.

@Steve777 I will also add to POW's post that clicking Watch Thread isn't enough; many times you will not get notifications of new posts, i.e. slipping under the radar.

The solution? Click the Forums tab on the top left, and from the drop-down menu click Watched Threads—this will make sure that you don't miss any notifications of your watched threads. I recommend that you leave the Watched Threads page as your default. I used to find this forum troublesome before knowing about this feature…now I find it enjoyable. Game changer!

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
ASCAT winds offshore registering 40-45 knots at the core (20 mins ago), directing straight to the Mid-North Coast:
Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 8.31.36 pm.png

Notably a couple of 40 knots barbs just near-shore off Newcastle too.

Reactions: Flowin

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
@Steve777 I will also add to POW's post that clicking Watch Thread isn't enough; many times you will not get notifications of new posts, i.e. slipping under the radar.

The solution? Click the Forums tab on the top left, and from the drop-down menu click Watched Threads—this will make sure that you don't miss any notifications of your watched threads. I recommend that you leave the Watched Threads page as your default. I used to find this forum troublesome before knowing about this feature…now I find it enjoyable. Game changer!
I believe you only get a notification email is (a) that option is selected when you click 'watch thread' or you've replied, and (b) for the next reply after your last viewing of the thread.

You won't receive a notification as in the red number next to the flag top-right unless someone quotes you or mentions you. So yes, the "Watched Threads" IMO is the easiest way to keep up with threads of interest

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
It looks as though this event is over. The low is very deep, about 988 mb, but it's moved out in the Central Tasman. It will still generate big waves along the coast, but the wind's dropped to right back and the rain seems to have finished apart from a few coastal showers.

A couple of event totals (9:00 Friday 10 - 18:00 Wednesday 15th)
  • Sydney OH : 41 mm
  • Penrith : 16 mm
  • Newcastle:30 mm
  • Bega: 123 mm
  • Bathurst: 12 mm
  • Dubbo: 47 mm (since 9:00 Thursday - mostly on 11th).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass