Advice needed July ski trip....and not coming home

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by soza, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Got one at the bottom of the lake for 300k ;)

ScottGN and craighelo like this.
  2. pedub

pedub Well-Known Member

Kingston?

3. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Yup. She aint that cheap now...

4. pedub

pedub Well-Known Member

No... Nice work.

The +1 nearly got a nice job down there and we started looking there a few years ago, and 300 was maybe close to reasonable then.

5. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

should have pulled the trigger man. its ****ing ace down here. the train has been sold to locals and will hopefully be running again soon! new sub division just gone in and all sold so upwards and onwards!

6. pedub

pedub Well-Known Member

Yeah unfortunately she missed out on the job...
    Then we looked at a section in Ohau less than 100k, was verbally accepted then vendor slept on it and changed her mind. Now I see the sections there are heading up again... would have been an awesome spot for a ski bach. Could ski Ohau or otherwise Wanaka less than 2hrs away. Also heli trips out of Mt Cook pretty close. I love that part of NZ, probably my favourite place of all. One day i'll live there...

Only a few years till mortgage free on the Akl house though, hard yards are paying off

7. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

yeah me and wifey looked at ohau too but lack of work in the area put us off. its not big enough yet. Would be damn keen on a ski shack up there but cant afford it.... yet!

8. pedub

pedub Well-Known Member

Yeah, financially it would have been a bad investment for us unless we were able to work remotely or something. I doubt it could pay for itself as a holiday rental. Especially since we would be hogging it in the winter! I assume most people who own places down there are either totally loaded or retired.

These sort of hidden gem places though... it wont be long till you can't buy anything like it

9. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Unfortunately wealth is all too common in skiing. Plenty of great BC spots near me that most people arent prepared to work for :)

10. expatgm

expatgm Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Yeah right. If your not working down here you'll be board out of your mind.
    Wealth? As above yeah right. In my dreams.

11. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

What planet do you live on?? Skiing isnt for poor people. Zermatt, Aspen, Beaver Creek, Lech, Courchaval. these arent places for poor people. they might have cheaper options but skiing isnt exactly a cheap as buying a pair of running shoes....

12. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy Dedicated Member

I dunno about that , looked at buying a pair of runners today .............asked the bank manager for a mortgage on the house to pay for them..............outrageous prices.

Annitowa and pedub like this.
  13. Ajmit321

Ajmit321 Active Member

Been in Christchurch a few days , I love Hagley park and it's surrounds . I don't really like how there's no centre and it's funny how the eastern suburbs even beachfront ones are the dodgy ones compared to Aus . Biked to little river saw a Chinese guy fishing in the polluted lakes lol .

Also like how's there's a bike culture . Prices except for petrol and coffee are about the same . Wages are 30% lower for professionals also there are no penalty rates .

Also no mandatory 3rd party insurance which seems really really dumb as the dodgy drivers are those who would win . I'd say there is a undercurrent of poverty here as well.
    However , people are way friendlier than in Melbourne saw someone stop for a complete stranger whose car had broken down .

All in all it's ok, stuff outside Christchurch is better than stuff in Christchurch generally .

14. craighelo

craighelo Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Ajmit321, post: 3234749,

Also no mandatory 3rd party insurance which seems really really dumb as the dodgy drivers are those who would win . I'd say there is a undercurrent of poverty here as well.
    .[/QUOTE]
    I understood Aussie mandatory 3rd party is for personal damage, hence not required in NZ as this is covered by the Accident Compensation Corp (ACC) and car rego is only just over $100 if you have a car with a good safety rating.

Ajmit321 likes this.
  15. Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture
    30 Day Pass

Still gonna be a long time before central Christchurch is back to normal.

For nice suburbs by/near sea see Redcliffs -> Sumner.

Ajmit321 likes this.
  16. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Winter is coming. Looking out towards mt peel from Geraldine.

craighelo likes this.
  17. expatgm

expatgm Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Not yet , need precip and freezing level to come down,still too early, be patient.

soza likes this.
  18. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

They have electricity now?:p

Annitowa and soza like this.
  19. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Around this time a few years ago we had 30cm on the ground @ 300m ASL.

20. Ultra

Ultra Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

This thread has been very interesting, as i might be in a similar situation as mentioned in another thread, so, any tips for others that might want to move to NZ? tips on property purchase? i have not done much research as yet..

soza likes this.
  21. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

If you want to live near the snow and buy a house, id be looking around the canterbury region as i dont think the prices are going as insane as Southern lakes. Be prepared for a lower standard of housing unless you have $$$

If you have a trade/skilled job you should be fine for employment but again, lower your standards when it comes to pay.

If queenstown/wanaka is where you want to be i would consider living in one of the more remote towns and commuting for work. This is what i do as there is simply no way i could afford a house in Queenstown or wanaka.

22. Ultra

Ultra Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

at this point in time, likely locations will be Dunedin, or Auckland, depending on University offers.

23. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

@Red_switch is the man to talk to about duds. He lives the Uni dream there. he might try to sell you on a place called mosgiel which he claims is 5 degrees warmer than dunedin.

24. pedub

pedub Well-Known Member

Auckland property purchase... don't bother
    If you are serious about skiing I'd pick Dunedin.

25. Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture
    30 Day Pass

Dunedin is gonna come out way ahead in terms of property purchase, ability to ski, and, arguably, quality of med school.

26. ScottGN

ScottGN Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Certainly you'll get much more bang for your buck house buying in Dunedin rather than Auckland, though it's surprising how much prices have risen in Dunedin in the last few years. Dunedin is a cool wee city too but if you're used to the warm, sunny outdoorsy Antipodean lifestyle thing that you get in Australia and the North Island then you'll need to adjust expectations a bit.
    As far as getting to ski areas goes there's probably not much in it driving time-wise really, 3.5 hours from Dunedin to Queenstown/Wanaka ski areas versus about 4.5 from Auckland to the 2 ski areas on the volcano.

27. pedub

pedub Well-Known Member

On a Friday afternoon its at least 5 hours to Ruapehu, then deal with the weekend crowds and likelihood of sh1t weather.

Ajmit321 likes this.
  28. GlenH

GlenH Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Yes been there done that, in terms of the weekend skiing crowds in the lift lines on Mt Ruapehu. It's like the whole of the North Island goes there, especially on a (rare) sunny day.