June 2021 - Forums XF 2.0 Upgrade. File your complaints & bug reports here.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Search is back.

@Sandy, let me know if you find missing teeth in the index as you go about your day please.

Also, @elSpike @CarveMan @cold wombat @POW Hungry @Claude Cat @Ian D

In the attachment rebuild process I discovered that approx 30K uploaded images are missing from between early July and mid Sep 2020.

They are in AWS S3 storage and somehow missed the mega image migration of XF2 upgrade. So they are not lost but... it's going to be an effort to migrate and re-organise the folder structure -- and then rebuild thumbnails just for that (not insignificant) batch.

So.. if you find missing images in historical threads - please report here so that I can confirm it is indeed just the known gap detailed above that is missing -- and not some other random time period as well.
Hi Richard,

Following posts have missing images:

These are from Feb 2020 and December 2019 so outside your window above.

Reactions: Richard

RogerRoger

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2020
making changes.....
Ahem, your changes seem to have removed something on my actual account :p

1626149805683.png

Of course this one can't message you as it hasn't posted enough.
I can't access PM's on my actual account, though I can access preferences. It wasn't asking for TFA when I logged out and back in, so have disabled that for the moment.

Reactions: Ms Gums

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
This thread is an excellent cure for anyone thinking of running a forum!
piece of piss compared to implementing covid safe plans for ski club.
if it's not ill defined, ever changing rules and official but unwritten interpretations, it's ungrateful members whinging because they don't like the conditions

RogerRoger

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2020
So how do you pm now, i cant seem to find anything
depends which theme you're using, the default should be at the top right to find them, and on the persons profile page for sending. Though I can't see that at the moment as this account hasn't been used enough to allow me to send them.
1626155533578.png

aazz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2012
Hunter Valley, NSW.
Reactions: Richard

Ms Gums

One of Us
May 28, 2005
Ahem, your changes seem to have removed something on my actual account :p

1626149805683.png

Of course this one can't message you as it hasn't posted enough.
I can't access PM's on my actual account, though I can access preferences. It wasn't asking for TFA when I logged out and back in, so have disabled that for the moment.
Apparently there is another mod having the same issue @Richard

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Yes.

So this is definitely a thing. As @KylePee surmised, it was self-induced but is a bug introduced with the latest upgrade of the forum core -- which then necessitated an upgraded of the UIX theme - both of which I upgraded yesterday in succession and it immediately appeared.

I've looked at it closely and it's a style/css thing. Have reported it to the authors of the UIX theme - it does not appear on the xenforo default theme.

@KylePee @ecowain

So it was indeed a bug in the updated theme and we were the first to report - a hotfix has been provided for the interim and it will be addressed in the next release.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
here, now
the other day I discovered the banner - nice surprise
I uploaded one of my favourite pics
sadly it didn’t appear in my phone or ipad, and there seems not to be a setting
now, I’ve found that it does work!
[literally seconds ago]
I also haven’t worked out ‘unfurl’ yet

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I also haven’t worked out ‘unfurl’ yet

I have discovered this last week that my php curl certificate lookup library is out of date, thus, any website using secure certificates issued by sertigo and and a couple of other new entrants into the secure certificate space do not unfurl.

Reactions: MarzNC

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I have discovered this last week that my php curl certificate lookup library is out of date, thus, any website using secure certificates issued by sertigo and and a couple of other new entrants into the secure certificate space do not unfurl.

Tested the update process on dev.ski today. Worked. Will implement soon - requires a 15 min shutdown of the site.

Also made progress today with the tweaking of Active Topics behavior -- so will do both at the same time.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
@Richard I cannot upload photos to PMs any more (not that I have many!). I have clicked on every single icon thingy and nothing links to ’upload a photo’. Have tried using iPhone and iPad (Safari). Help please! Here is a screenshot - no option to upload, apparently.
4FD21617-64FF-4BB1-99CF-E16D7A3328B4.png

The Fallen

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2015
Central Coast
To The MAN WITH THE BIG STICK.....Do you have upload restrictions from photos? I'm running the new Samsung 5G and I cant upload?

Are we not 5G compatible yet?

IF not 5G yet, Im calling a members forum to increase fees to meet 5G ...... we need to be 5G to keep supporting this site.....

I'll personally pledge $1,000 to help the upgrade.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
To The MAN WITH THE BIG STICK.....Do you have upload restrictions from photos? I'm running the new Samsung 5G and I cant upload?

IF not 5G yet, Im calling a members forum to increase fees to meet 5G ...... we need to be 5G to keep supporting this site.....

Explain with more detail the upload issue please.

Upload max file size is 20MB. Which is huge and about 4 time larger than the average phone pic.

Is the upload button missing, or does it not accept the upload??

Swiss

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2015
Canberra
Just revisiting the ignore feature not working as it did, I have unignored and re-ignored but some posts still slip through while others I think are being ignored. I have a feeling it's when the ignored member quotes a post?

ignore 2.jpg

EDIT: seems it's not just quoted posts, one that's just popped up has a cam embedded in it, maybe that is influencing things?

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
Not a complaint, just wondering if I set dark theme on my tablet will it mean dark theme for all devices or just the tablet? Thank you.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Richard, probably nothing that can be done about this, but some interesting behaviour that I've observed on poor connections with image loading

Have observed across all devices.

Observable when images are taking a bit to load
- Today's example, the image appears to complete loading, and then craps out and end up with the below
- other examples, the images part load either with part height loaded, or with full image loaded but with some strange colour behaviour

The slow loading in itself is not surprising when having network issues. The slightly annoying behaviour is when it has done a fair bit of the loading bit then gives up. I take it that it's almost like a handshake waiting for confirmation of proper load and if incomplete defers to an error approach?

1627019254739.png

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
here, now

who are you - Bill Gates?

Reactions: crackson and Hyst

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Search broken again. July 24.

July 13.

Search is back.

@Sandy, let me know if you find missing teeth in the index as you go about your day please.

Also, @elSpike @CarveMan @cold wombat @POW Hungry @Claude Cat @Ian D

In the attachment rebuild process I discovered that approx 30K uploaded images are missing from between early July and mid Sep 2020.

They are in AWS S3 storage and somehow missed the mega image migration of XF2 upgrade. So they are not lost but... it's going to be an effort to migrate and re-organise the folder structure -- and then rebuild thumbnails just for that (not insignificant) batch.

So.. if you find missing images in historical threads - please report here so that I can confirm it is indeed just the known gap detailed above that is missing -- and not some other random time period as well.

It's bugging everyone - including me, and I got a plan on a fix I need to test in dev first.

But that comes after all the image thumbnails have been processed (at 50% - another 24hr should do it -- 200,000 images to crunch is taking a toll on the server CPU) .

Then, the search index needs to be rebuilt - I finally got the AWS elasticsearch instance reconnected on Friday - now the index needs to be rebuilt.

So I reckon by about Wed I *may* have the Active Topics first 20 <-> view more thing sorted.

Reactions: Chaeron

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I can't recall if I previously asked this one as it was an issue with the previous format. Is it possible to use smileys etc from the Google keyboard on a android device. Others appear to able to do it from my observation.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
I can't recall if I previously asked this one as it was an issue with the previous format. Is it possible to use smileys etc from the Google keyboard on a android device. Others appear to able to do it from my observation.

Not really.

A few random emojis work, but the resultant emoji is not necessarily what you see from your keyboard list.

It's complicated -- but in a nutshell, this is a website - it's listening to instruction from a 'standard keyboard' - it is not an 'App' which is symbiotically listening to your keyboard input based on the Android or iOS developer kit.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Not really.

A few random emojis work, but the resultant emoji is not necessarily what you see from your keyboard list.

It's complicated -- but in a nutshell, this is a website - it's listening to instruction from a 'standard keyboard' - it is not an 'App' which is symbiotically listening to your keyboard input based on the Android or iOS developer kit.
Thanks for clearing that up Richard. I didn't know whether I was doing something wrong or just my insistence on buying cheap phones instead of the latest Samsung or I thingy.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Bug - Just this evening on the old macbook I am writing this on, both Facebook and Twitter embeds are not loading. I am logged into twitter on the device. Both show a non-loaded 'holder' with their version of error message.

I just checked one thread on phone and at the least a facebook embed is still working on there

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I noticed a change yesterday which introduced a side bar on right hand side which reduced width of regular display which I don't like. I noticed that in preferences there are new options to collapse sidebar by default but this isn't an option for XenForo style which I have gotten used to using. For light and dark styles you get an icon to switch sidebar on/off. Will this also be made available for Xenforo?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums