June 2021 - Forums XF 2.0 Upgrade. File your complaints & bug reports here.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Now that I got Richard's attention - any chance of a speel check inside the for us dyslextics - I can see it is wrong - but not how to get it right - sometimes I get mobbed a bit about it in here - however I take it as a funny thing from the authers.

1627554850577.png

Reactions: crackson

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Now that I got Richard's attention - any chance of a speel check inside the for us dyslextics - I can see it is wrong - but not how to get it right - sometimes I get mobbed a bit about it in here - however I take it as a funny thing from the authers.

1627554850577.png
Check your browser's extensions/settings, you should be able to have it everywhere

Reactions: Hyst and crackson

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Happens much. Mac OS, desktop software i.e not iOS. Safari Version 14.1.1 (16611.2.7.1.4)

Images fail to fully load. Multiple refreshes of page do not help. Leaving page, i.e moving to another page within forums then returning does fix.

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 05.44.16.jpg

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Seems to be ok on Handheld device but on Desktop browser if you're at the bottom of a forum page(40-odd posts deep), it's a pain to then nav to Snow Cams.

Currently have to scroll, or click to top of page, then click SKI logo to hit sub-directory of CAMS. On handheld device it's on top & bottom of page.

I am using Chrome.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Happens much. Mac OS, desktop software i.e not iOS. Safari Version 14.1.1 (16611.2.7.1.4)

Images fail to fully load. Multiple refreshes of page do not help. Leaving page, i.e moving to another page within forums then returning does fix.

I’ve always thought that was my wifi
not sure if it happens with ethernet-connected putas

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town

I've already noted this as it's happening to me too and it means your internet is garbage (like mine is now I'm in the country)

It is very large images that have not fully loaded before you have scrolled past the lazy load parameters - and so they stop loading, you can't force them to reload unless you reload the page as a new request (ie not a browser reload).

I've enabled very large images to be uploaded -- and this is the downside -- I have not replaced the dynamic image server (yet) that serves optimised images for each breakpoint -- but reinstalling the dynamic image server is in the backlog.

Reactions: cold wombat

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
I've enabled very large images to be uploaded -- and this is the downside -- I have not replaced the dynamic image server (yet) that serves optimised images for each breakpoint.
I suspected this as whilst I was relying on my mobile connection my data use was strangely high, and I tracked it down to chrome so figured it was forum images.
Thankfully finally back on an NBN connection, but worth considering how much extra data it's chewing especially with the at snow audience

Reactions: Richard

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
I've already noted this as it's happening to me too and it means your internet is garbage (like mine is now I'm in the country)

It is very large images that have not fully loaded before you have scrolled past the lazy load parameters - and so they stop loading, you can't force them to reload unless you reload the page as a new request (ie not a browser reload).

I've enabled very large images to be uploaded -- and this is the downside -- I have not replaced the dynamic image server (yet) that serves optimised images for each breakpoint -- but reinstalling the dynamic image server is in the backlog.
oops. I will stay quiet. The luxury of ski.com.au hosting lots of rubbish (our precious, insightful and incredbily important images, videos) is a nice thing to have. I guess, don't press it. :D

Reactions: Richard and skifree

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Some of the images are huge, the fact there has been barely a whimper about it reveals just how much better bandwidth and data allowance is since 2016 when I first hacked Xenforo to pieces to get a good mobile experience with the images.
I must admit, I no longer care at all about bandwidth or data volume while on mobile. Not exactly a heavy user, but still...

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
I just tried to use the old 'spoiler' thing for TLDR stuff - yipes, weird!
either I've forgotten how to do it [likely] or the functionality has changed [possible]
maybe a tutorial on that would help
also I don't get how to do 'unfurl'

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
I'm just going to repost a few earlier suggestions. I requested the < Prev button to be at the top of each thread's page. I noticed this appears on iPad but not on my android phone. See pic.

Also I'd be happy if a small author tag was added to the bottom of each post.

I'm a habitual bottom up scroller which is due to using Latest Posts/ lightening bolt as my default landing. Both of the requests would help with bottom up browsing.

Screenshot_20210828-105730.png

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I just tried to use the old 'spoiler' thing for TLDR stuff - yipes, weird!
either I've forgotten how to do it [likely] or the functionality has changed [possible]
maybe a tutorial on that would help
also I don't get how to do 'unfurl'
Unfurl is nothing that you ‘use’ per se. Either a link to a publication ‘unfurls’ or it does not. The unfurling is the preview, which is a result of ‘og’ tags in the head code of the linked document. Og is Open Graph, a standard championed by Facebook to enable better sharing UX of links. Hardly anyone in publishing and ecomm has not adopted it. But there are many old school websites that have not implemented.

Reactions: CarveMan

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Unfurl is nothing that you ‘use’ per se. Either a link to a publication ‘unfurls’ or it does not. The unfurling is the preview, which is a result of ‘og’ tags in the head code of the linked document. Og is Open Graph, a standard championed by Facebook to enable better sharing UX of links. Hardly anyone in publishing and ecomm has not adopted it. But there are many old school websites that have not implemented.
hmmm
another forum participant posted this as an ‘unfurl’
it worked for me too!
I would still like to work out the spoiler method too
in the case of that story, I posted the whole text because of the paywall

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
This may have been addressed elsewhere, but what is it with the little person (with a pencil?) who appears under some members’ profiles? @Richard is an example. What do we have to do to be blessed with such an image?

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
As per wombats example. Use the anti-eye icon in the editor.

A0BCBA2E-B4EF-4C9B-B519-8E02990E9DC7.jpeg

yowza

This is what happened with schools in Canada when it passed 70 per cent vaccination​

August 29, 2021 — 12.05pm
With NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian planning to send children back to the classroom from October 25, it is instructive to look at how Canada - which has more than 70 per cent of its eligible population vaccinated - is managing the start of school in the midst of a rising number of COVID-19 cases.
The daily COVID-19 tally in Canada has exceeded 1000 for the past two weeks, coinciding with the start of the school year. Several provinces centralised online learning a year ago and, for the new school year, parents could select online or in-person learning for their children early this month - before the escalation.
While the availability of online learning varies between provinces and schools, an absence of approved vaccines for children under 12 and vaccination rates among teachers and school personnel have made parents wary.
The Toronto district school board, the country’s largest, for example, asked parents to select either in-person or online learning before August 12. As cases escalated after this deadline, families now preferring their children switch to online learning have been pushed to a waiting list.
Virtual learning for the Toronto 2021/22 school year will be centrally provided and will include live, online instruction involving teachers, staff and students from the home school or a group of schools. Superintendents and principals will form these classes, which will follow the daily schedule of school.
In British Columbia, children are expected to return to school though can opt for online learning. “If you are looking for more flexible options to learn at home, please email me and I can connect you with resources/links for exploring online options throughout the province”, one principal wrote to parents.
In NSW, distance education is offered only to geographically remote students and those whose individual circumstances prevent them from attending school, such as students with medical conditions or disabilities.
The Herald asked the NSW Department of Education if it would expand the criteria for online distance learning for families who choose not to send their children back to school or if another alternative would be available. “The NSW government will provide details [last Friday] on the return to face-to-face schooling,” the department responded.
Last Friday’s update on the return to school timetable did not include any details for expanding the criteria for online distance learning for families who do not want to send their children back.
Vaccine mandates are not in place for teachers across Ontario, Canada’s biggest province, which has halted the re-entry of many students back into school.
The government of Ontario’s health, safety and operational guidance for schools outlines plans to introduce a vaccination disclosure policy for all school board employees. Included in the policy will be rapid antigen testing requirements for staff not immunised against COVID-19.
Students attending elementary school (aged 6-12) in person will be grouped into cohorts with one teacher, while secondary schools will have two in-person classes to make contact tracing manageable. Schools will also implement “enhanced cleaning practices”, whereby high-touch surfaces, such as desks, doorknobs and eating areas, will be cleaned at least twice a day.
Canadian health data shows 73 per cent of the eligible population (aged 12 and older) is vaccinated, or 66 per cent of the total population. Since December 14, unvaccinated people accounted for 88.9 per cent of positive cases.
Stay across the most crucial developments related to the pandemic with the Coronavirus Update. Sign up to receive the weekly newsletter.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
More of a query than a bug report... WTH is with the "similar threads" suggestions at the bottom of each page (Windows 10 Chrome). They seem to be a pretty random collection of threads and I fail to see the similarities at times with the threads they appear under. Are they really necessary or just a waste of real estate?

Added amusement value, for free.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
More of a query than a bug report... WTH is with the "similar threads" suggestions at the bottom of each page (Windows 10 Chrome). They seem to be a pretty random collection of threads and I fail to see the similarities at times with the threads they appear under. Are they really necessary or just a waste of real estate?
Probably if you're interested in ancient history. Bottom of this season's perisher thread.
Screenshot_20210829-173024_Chrome.jpg

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town

Similar threads is a known effective method of keeping people engaged. Especially those who arrive via search. This in turn leads to new registrations, new registrations are vital to forum health and longevity. So related threads is here to stay.

There's two parts to the 'randomness' of the suggestions.

Related threads is a feature of the Enhanced Search module that runs on Elasticsearch, the search meta data needs to be of sufficient quality and also up to date. I've rebuilt the meta data twice since the migration to XF 2.0 but it still feels a bit wonky. There are a few levers I can pull to massage the algo and I have not (yet) spent time seeing I can improve results.

The other part to this puzzle is that Conversation is random, the thread 'cat behavior' is pretty darn weird -- there's not a lot for the search algo to latch onto there. The leverage for related threads is the title and the OP. Most threads in Convo have low 'information scent' titles and not particularly insightful opening posts. Unregistered public can't see Apre & Pavilion topics anyway so the jury is out as to the usefulness of related threads in those topics and I could turn them off in those silo's. At the moment the main value in Apres is thread revival - which is still doing the job of engagement. Keeping registered folk engaged is critical to forum health.

Also, as good as Elasticsearch is as an appliance for platforms like these forums -- it ain't Google. Good search is really really really hard.

Related threads outside of Apres/Pavillion are not too bad, though - and to that end it's useful enough in doing the job intended. No matter which way you look at it, it's better than the gawd-awful Outbrain and Taboolah recommendations that finish most mainstream media pages.

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
I can get URL previews to work.

If I type
Code:
[URL unfurl="True"] <html link>[/URL]
it just displays <html link>

Do I need to change something in my profile?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I can get URL previews to work.

If I type
Code:
[URL unfurl="True"] <html link>[/URL]
it just displays <html link>

Do I need to change something in my profile?
Just drop the URL as is directly into the editor and let the forums apply the correct markup.

Which URL exactly is it that you are trying to 'unfurl' ? Provide example here please.

As noted previously, not all web links will 'unfurl' and show the preview clip, it's dependant on the website you are linking -- they need to have their meta html correctly formatted.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass