June 2021 - Forums XF 2.0 Upgrade. File your complaints & bug reports here.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
From history.

This was the default unread. The URL added "/all" for ALL watched threads
Watched threads | Ski Forum

Following the old default (unread), now produces all watched threads

cheers

Can you monitor this please, I just went to my watched threads and everything I ever 'watched' is there. So I'm thinking the system lost it's cache of where you were at and which was and wasnt 'unread'

ie. Visit your watched threads so that everything is set back to 'read' and then monitor what happens after that.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Can you monitor this please, I just went to my watched threads and everything I ever 'watched' is there. So I'm thinking the system lost it's cache of where you were at and which was and wasnt 'unread'

ie. Visit your watched threads so that everything is set back to 'read' and then monitor what happens after that.
Will monitor.

What I'm seeking is to see only Watched & Unread. However what I'm getting is ALL watched. The Newest Posts with the filters of Unread&Watched is an alternate for what I'm after.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
The font in this new version seems much smaller than the previous one? I’m going to have to do a lot of playing around to familiarise myself with all of this ... Thanks for the explanation as to why you needed to upgrade, @Richard , because the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” phrase leapt to mind. Now I understand (insert smiley emoji).

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
The font in this new version seems much smaller than the previous one? I’m going to have to do a lot of playing around to familiarise myself with all of this ... Thanks for the explanation as to why you needed to upgrade, @Richard , because the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” phrase leapt to mind. Now I understand (insert smiley emoji).
in your preferences, choose a larger font size

Reactions: MarzNC

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

as Coincidence would have it, I just edited the font sizes. Will take an hour or so for cache on the style sheet file to refresh.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'm assuming that all the love with tweaking themes will be on the light and dark themes, not the basic xenforo one. so persevering with these is probably going to be better in the long run

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
I'm assuming that all the love with tweaking themes will be on the light and dark themes, not the basic xenforo one. so persevering with these is probably going to be better in the long run
The basic Xenforo one, as I understand it, is what comes in the box with Xenforo, so it won't be tweaked. But the basic Xenforo theme has been greatly improved since I first saw it on Pugski. Presumably due to feature requests by forum owners.

The more customisations are done in the light and dark themes, upgrades become longer, more difficult and more bug prone. And there are good reasons for keeping the forum software reasonably current. Security, support, API's etc.

So I'm inclined to persevere with the base Xenforo theme and maybe look to eventual development of an intermediate theme with fewer customisations than the light/dark themes, which contains essential improvements only and eventually becomes the default theme.

Reactions: Heinz

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
I've got notifications that aren't clearing.

Android Phone Chrome. Not a problem on Android Tablet.

Screenshot_20210605-124145_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210605-124152_Chrome.jpg

If I have real new notifications it increments up from 2.

2 is the new Zero for me.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

The 1.5 default XF theme was woeful, but this one is quite good. I will be tweaking it, but only within the scope of the settings (which are substantial anyway) I won't be doing any custom template stuff though beyond adding analytics tags.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Twitter embed invisible with no hint that it exists.
Screenshot_20210605-123837_Chrome.jpg

if I click on the post it showed the Twitter link for a moment then disappears again.
android phone

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Appreciate all the hard work done here. Very grateful. One request please if I may is to have a "prev" previous page button at the top of each thread. Often I start at the most recent and work my way backwards. Such a button would help. Eg here:

Screenshot_20210605-132032~2.png

Reactions: NightSky

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
in summary

looking really nice on the desktop
* main bugbear so far is lack of bulleted lists and indent
* assuming twitter not showing will be fixed in time

mobile devices
* waiting patiently for active topics in a single click

Reactions: Chalkie

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
in summary

looking really nice on the desktop
* main bugbear so far is lack of bulleted lists and indent
* assuming twitter not showing will be fixed in time

mobile devices
* waiting patiently for active topics in a single click

Twitter is working for me an others??

Don't hold your breath for an active topics lightning bolt anytime this weekend.

Still working on the basic functionality

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011

Don't hold your breath for an active topics lightning bolt anytime this weekend.

Do you actually have to create something?

Pardon my ignorance, but in said ignorance I'd assume that the custom themes disable the lightning bolt which is a generic XF feature? If that's the case, can the lightning bolt just be un-disabled in the custom themes? And can What's New be configured to show more than 10 posts?

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
What is the advantage of ‘Active Topics’ over ‘Newest Posts’ with ‘Unread Thread’ filter unchecked and saved as default?
Active Topics returns all threads from most recent post backwards, whether you've read them or not

Newest Posts returns all threads from most recent post backwards that you have not read

Reactions: Chaeron

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
What is the advantage of ‘Active Topics’ over ‘Newest Posts’ with ‘Unread Thread’ filter unchecked and saved as default?
Active Topics returns all threads from most recent post backwards, whether you've read them or not

Newest Posts returns all threads from most recent post backwards that you have not read
Sorry, I didn't read the filter part of your scenario

:doh:

Reactions: CarveMan

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
Let's try again. Nothing, same result.

I imagine the filter is available to create a different result when used in conjunction with other variables

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Let's try again. Nothing, same result.

I imagine the filter is available to create a different result when used in conjunction with other variables
This.

I wouldn't bother with Active Topics as a customisation, just set the Unread filter as unchecked by default in the Newest Posts view.

I mean, we got used to the change of terminology from Private Messages to Conversations, didn't we?

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
What are you referring to?
When the fora migrated to XF and the terminology changed from Private Messages to Conversations.

Yes I know I still call them PM's but that's mainly to irk the InstaTwits who insist on calling them DM's.

TBH I hadn't noticed that the default terminology had been overridden and the term Private Messages reinstated.

I'm pretty sure the little pop-ups that appeared at the bottom of the screen still used to say Conversations.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
I can’t work out how to paste a video link - where is the insert-media thing now?
4. Media Embeds - Expansion pack is not yet installed.
Linked media embeds is limited to a handful of usual suspects such as Twitter & YouTube etc. The expansion pack is a third party app (@crackson) and I have not upgraded to the XF 2.0 release yet. Expect that sometime this week.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
When the fora migrated to XF and the terminology changed from Private Messages to Conversations.

Yes I know I still call them PM's but that's mainly to irk the InstaTwits who insist on calling them DM's.

TBH I hadn't noticed that the default terminology had been overridden and the term Private Messages reinstated.

I'm pretty sure the little pop-ups that appeared at the bottom of the screen still used to say Conversations.
Mostly the terminology was changed to what we were used to but there were still a few places where it hadn't been updated.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Mostly the terminology was changed to what we were used to but there were still a few places where it hadn't been updated.
Terminology is a bit of a curse on a site like this, with a high proportion of active long-term members who still refer to it as SI.

You're damned if you change, and damned if you don't.

Reactions: cold wombat

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley

understand about lightening bolt or similar not happening soon. that was supposed to be implied in the patiently bit.

I'm confused about the twitter thing. i can see your deer post. the post I screenshotted
Screenshot_20210605-123837_Chrome.jpg

now shows a link to D-eye's website. Nothing showed earlier but clicking on the post momentarily showed what i thought was a twitter address. no mention taht the post has been edited (secret mod powers??)

anyway, happy to drop it and I'll raise it if it happens again

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I'm using the default version as the layout is close to the same as what we had before. Apart from images being slooow to load I'm pretty happy with it. Using Chrome on Android.

Reactions: Hyst

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
might be a feature not a bug but when replying you don't see the quote tags. sometimes it is good to exploit these to break up a post and answer different parts separately. I realised there are work arounds. not so obvious for newbies
If you click the square brackets icon in the upper right corner of the edit box, that toggles BB code, which displays the quote tags.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
and when you do choose the view more option, it swaps to new posts not active threads which is also a tad annoying. Sometimes I want to go back to a thread I have read but it disappears down the list if there has been no new posts since I last visited.
have you unticked unread threads in the filters and saved as your default?
1622887419242.png

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
So what is the story with pasting graphics? Even quoting someone with a graphic in their post shows as View Attachment XXXXX
That is the default behaviour. Probably related to another feature request which is to display an uploaded image in full that is reused (rather than just quoted). Last time it took @Richard ages searching for the relevant setting. I hope he still remembers where he finally found it!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass