June 2021 - Forums XF 2.0 Upgrade. File your complaints & bug reports here.

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
@Heinz

Correct, I saved all of Heinz blog posts as text files so they would not be lost. Blogs are no longer a thing with Xenforo 2. I'll post them differently, just not sure how yet.

Thanks. The blog was a good way of linking to all my various TR's in one place. I guess I could do similar with an ongoing thread.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Thanks. The blog was a good way of linking to all my various TR's in one place. I guess I could do similar with an ongoing thread.

I'm going to look at the official XF 'Resources' module to see if that is appropriate, but one of the main drivers for this exercise is that it is step 1 in getting off MODx Evolution (as the CMS for the rest of the site) and moving to Wordpress for which XF has a integrated member auth bridge.

So what I'm saying there, is eventually your blogs will be posted as proper articles on a Wordpress platform.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Clicking on a previously viewed thread in active topics takes you to page #1 post #1.

Mildly annoying.

Yep.

Drives me nuts too. As others have said, it's pre-existing behaviour, but it's easily solved and I've just made enquiry with a guy who builds buckets of this sort of small utility addon to see if I can commission a fix.

Previously I would have just hacked the templates but the addon system is designed to make it easy to revert, uninstall and upgrade - so with the new fresh install of XF2 I'm inclined to stick to properly architect solutions.

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Sorry if this has already been asked:
1. I tried to increase the font size in my Preferences/settings but it has no effect (Android V11 on Samsung S10e).
2. Is there a way I can get the "watched threads" link to reside on the "active topics" screen without me having to hunt throigh the menu for it?
Thanks

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Is there a way I can get the "watched threads" link to reside on the "active topics" screen

Not at current. Active Topics is far and away the most popular entry page of the forum, any forum, which is why it is natively catered to by the platform as a global menu item.

In the future, it may be possible to customise what 'Active Topics' link lands on in preferences, but it's not a feature currently available and it's not something I've got the skills to hack myself.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Not at current. Active Topics is far and away the most popular entry page of the forum, any forum, which is why it is natively catered to by the platform as a global menu item.

In the future, it may be possible to customise what 'Active Topics' link lands on in preferences, but it's not a feature currently available and it's not something I've got the skills to hack myself.

@iagreewithhim

What you can do though, is save the Watched Threads page to 'homescreen' on your phone. The new XF2 comes with PWA out of the box (progressive web application) and so saving a URL to homescreen on phones works nice. Would be interested to get feedback on that from an Android user. Works fine on iPhones

Reactions: crackson

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
. I tried to increase the font size in my Preferences/settings but it has no effect (Android V11 on Samsung S10e).

I've tested this on all my browsers on phone and desktop and it works fine. Suspect you may be overiding with a system setting on Android, so check that - especially as it sounds like you prefer larger fonts in general.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Thanks Rich

Plus, have you set your preferred filters on the Latest Posts page??

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 12.23.14 pm.png

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
The "View More" button on the Active Topics and Latest Posts pages is irritating. When you click it, it takes you back to the top of the page you were viewing. It should be called the "Start Again" button.
Even crazier, it only displays on page 1, not on subsequent pages.

Yeah, that's a weird implementation change that's hardwired with the XF2 platform. All I can do is increase the number of items on load, which degrades performance and then just increases the number of items you already seen when view more is clicked.

All in good time....

Reactions: chrisj

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
dunno

The whole embed space is a moving target at the moment, the platforms are underfire for privacy and tightening up all the time with permissions, the browsers are deprecating 3rd party cookies, yada...

It's the latest release of s9e media pack addon and it's a well supported added that gets updated all the time.

It uses a different method to the XF method to unfurl the oembed content which is why it works for Instagram. It's possible that Donza's post is cached with the old method - but suspect trade-offs are tradeoffs.

I think all we can do is monitor which is the more annoying implementation, the addon or native XF unfurling.

Facebook has never been particularly friendly for the technical implementation of embedded content on websites in my experience anyway, they want it the other way round, they want it easier to share from the greater internet inside FB than to spread FB content far and wide.

dmz

More cheeeese Gromit
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
I'm still occasionally seeing content from members Im ignoring. I get the message "You are ignoring content by this member." but then it's followed by content. It doesnt happen all the time. If I spot it and leave the thread then come back in, the content then disappears.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Clicking on a previously viewed thread in active topics takes you to page #1 post #1.

Mildly annoying.

...and fixed

@AndyBa has built an addon already, already:ski:

NOTE: Last read data is only held for 30days and then rolls off. So if you drop in once a blue moon, or otherwise go awol for longer than 30 days. Every thread will link to post 1 page 1, read or unread.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
@iagreewithhim

What you can do though, is save the Watched Threads page to 'homescreen' on your phone. The new XF2 comes with PWA out of the box (progressive web application) and so saving a URL to homescreen on phones works nice. Would be interested to get feedback on that from an Android user. Works fine on iPhones

My android link to the site is new posts. Works great.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Yeah, that's a weird implementation change that's hardwired with the XF2 platform. All I can do is increase the number of items on load, which degrades performance and then just increases the number of items you already seen when view more is clicked.

All in good time....
I'm guessing it would be crazy to go the other way and start it with say 10-15 items only, then the 'more' button would still appear on the page before scrolling and this be able to click to expand without scrolling first?

Marty_McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
I'm guessing it would be crazy to go the other way and start it with say 10-15 items only, then the 'more' button would still appear on the page before scrolling and this be able to click to expand without scrolling first?
I'm using the Xenforo theme on mobile. I just tap the lightning bolt and when the page loads I just tap Newest Posts. Gives me a full page of active topics.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
...and fixed

@AndyBa has built an addon already, already:ski:
fantastic
NOTE: Last read data is only held for 30days and then rolls off. So if you drop in once a blue moon, or otherwise go awol for longer than 30 days. Every thread will link to post 1 page 1, read or unread.
hmm
in theory I don't like. in practice I doubt that I've ever gone 30 days in a row away from here.

the old system seemed to randomly forget anyway

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
I'm using the Xenforo theme on mobile. I just tap the lightning bolt and when the page loads I just tap Newest Posts. Gives me a full page of active topics.
On that page though, once you reach the bottom, there is a 'View More' button instead of the usual next page and page numbers. When you press that, it essentially gives you the same list, plus some more threads, and those normal nav buttons. So you have to scroll the page twice before you can see other threads

Marty_McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
On that page though, once you reach the bottom, there is a 'View More' button instead of the usual next page and page numbers. When you press that, it essentially gives you the same list, plus some more threads, and those normal nav buttons. So you have to scroll the page twice before you can see other threads
Err... No.

Lighting bolt. Latest Posts at the top of the page. 25 topics, page 1 of 4, same as before the upgrade. Xenforo theme, not light nor dark.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Sorry missed this bit of your earlier posts. The challenge is on Active Topics. As you say, then clicking through to Newest Posts does include the page nav if your filters give you more than a page of results.

Much of the work that Richard does to make everyone's experience on the forums better (whether it's noticed or not) is to reduce as much friction as possible. In my very limited knowledge of the space, additional clicks are a big friction point, and particularly if the clicks don't feel like progression through a sequence.

Marty_McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Much of the work that Richard does to make everyone's experience on the forums better (whether it's noticed or not) is to reduce as much friction as possible. In my very limited knowledge of the space, additional clicks are a big friction point, and particularly if the clicks don't feel like progression through a sequence.
Agreed. What I'm doing is a workaround to reduce my personal friction (that sounds so wrong) as much as possible.

I too find it annoying and frustrating to tap on More Posts at the bottom of the page, only to have it reload the entire page rather than just unrolling more posts from that point.

So tapping Latest Posts before starting to scroll down the topics list is, to me, anyway, less frustrating and more of a sequence.

As always, YMMV. And hopefully with time, Richard will be able to iron it out.

Reactions: currawong

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Agreed. What I'm doing is a workaround to reduce my personal friction (that sounds so wrong) as much as possible.

I too find it annoying and frustrating to tap on More Posts at the bottom of the page, only to have it reload the entire page rather than just unrolling more posts from that point.

So tapping Latest Posts before starting to scroll down the topics list is, to me, anyway, less frustrating and more of a sequence.

As always, YMMV. And hopefully with time, Richard will be able to iron it out.
Some friction is better than others o_O
Yep, doing the same personally, but contributing to the discussion on the system side

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
particularly if the clicks don't feel like progression through a sequence.
^ this

It's actually a myth that reducing clicks to zero or 1 is the goal of all good UX. The goal is freedom and control, a sense of mastery and a quick path to understanding mastery. Whilst dozens of clicks to achieve a goal is not ideal, a handful of clicks is fine so long as the user feels like 'productivity' is achieved.

Current 'active topics' and related subnav is not there yet, but I'm testing stuff in dev and should have it really nicely sorted inside a week.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
So the 30 days is per thread? I thought you meant on the forums overall :doh:

Yep, every thread you view saves a 'last read' position for 30 days. If you don't return to that thread inside 30 days the data decays and you are back to post 1 page 1. You can imagine how much data that would be for every logged in user if it did not expire at some point.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Sorry missed this bit of your earlier posts. The challenge is on Active Topics. As you say, then clicking through to Newest Posts does include the page nav if your filters give you more than a page of results.

The current setup makes it easier for me to get to what I want (unread posts, called "new posts" because I don't have to dig through a tiny menu tree with big clumsy fingers. I'm calling this setup a win.

Reactions: Marty_McSly

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
The current setup makes it easier for me to get to what I want (unread posts, called "new posts" because I don't have to dig through a tiny menu tree with big clumsy fingers. I'm calling this setup a win.
I think the lightning rod on mobile is a great button to get you to a desired starting point, then click to your preferred position. I think with limited space on mobile its a great option.

Probably more room for improvement on desktop. As I think about it more, in the past it’s been traditional for forums to start at the ‘total forum’ type view where you see an overview of the forum sections. Probably for more than 90% of traffic on a forum like this, would suggest most would start at their preferred view of active/watched/new or whatever. So the ideal state for frequent users would probably be a personal dashboard as a start?

Reactions: cold wombat

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I think the lightning rod on mobile is a great button to get you to a desired starting point, then click to your preferred position. I think with limited space on mobile its a great option.

Probably more room for improvement on desktop. As I think about it more, in the past it’s been traditional for forums to start at the ‘total forum’ type view where you see an overview of the forum sections. Probably for more than 90% of traffic on a forum like this, would suggest most would start at their preferred view of active/watched/new or whatever. So the ideal state for frequent users would probably be a personal dashboard as a start?
Yep. With you all the way there. Make it easy for occasional or new users to see the big picture but regulars to dive in where they left off (in a meta sense).

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
The 'Add ski.com.au to homepage' is annoying.

Now it's hiding itself before it can be cleared and randomly reappearing when scrolling.

It also ignores the dark theme and stays white.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Sorry if I’m repeating but ignore not working properly. If ignored person quotes their own post, the 2nd post shows. Can also see what they like.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass