Observations June 4-7th June System

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
the rainfall totals from just one system are quite amazing, and over such an enormous area. From qld right down to Tas...incredible.

Reactions: Snowy Joey

jungfrau

One of Us
Jun 25, 2013
I observe some resorts turning their cams off when things aren't pretty.. :mad:Why do they do that? Can only assume the worst now.
Hotham -0.7 :) now for some precipitation..
Is the band moving West.. Will the temps stay low??

Last edited:

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Collaroy.jpg

Pool, shed, pergola, foundations, vertical drop to beach at the back door, undermined major structure, NE swell still pounding in .... but the houses are still there .... will be a difficult fix with lots of rock dumpage if they do in fact allow such works.

The concrete pool is intact and on the beach so could form the basis of the reclamation.

The beach club hotel has pretty serious structural damage.

Last edited:

PowWow

Addicted
Aug 26, 2010
I observe some resorts turning their cams off when things aren't pretty.. :mad:Why do they do that? Can only assume the worst now.
Mt P and Blue Cow temps dropping with lots of precip. Watching intently and hoping to see fat flakes in next hour on the cams...

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Well, planned tasking for storm damage on the Northern Beaches turned into evacuations and flood rescues for much of the day yesterday.
The amount of water pouring down the hill towards Narabeen lagoon was amazing, and then combined with the high tides was devastating. The morning high tide which apparently was a king tide flooded low lying areas and inundated some homes, while isolating others as roads were cut.
We had about 20 RFS appliances down there in the morning, with assistance from other districts, and worked with SES on evacuations and flood rescues.
Most people seemed to be in disbelief that the flooding was occurring and that it was going to get worse.

No chance to stop for photos most of the day, but have some pretty striking images in my head now...

IMG_9252-L.jpg

Reactions: Majikthise and sbm

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Collaroy.jpg

Pool, shed, pergola, foundations, vertical drop to beach at the back door, undermined major structure, NE swell still pounding in .... but the houses are still there .... will be a difficult fix with lots of rock dumpage if they do in fact allow such works.

The concrete pool is intact and on the beach so could form the basis of the reclamation.

The beach club hotel has pretty serious structural damage.
Probably cheaper and more productive in the ling run for the govt to compensate and compulsorily acquire. They are going to need an active dune there. The alternative is a every increasing commitment to larger engineering.

Reactions: filski
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
I observed several houses at threat of inundation in Nareen yesterday as we strongly encouraged people to leave.
The streets to the South (lake side) were worse off. That was absolutely the effect of strong water flows plus king tide. But obvious threat area.

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Much colder than yesterday. Wind picking up again here at Gerroa. Lots of minor damage. Don't relish talking to the insurance company today. Get a ticket and get in line ...

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
came back from Westons Sunday arvo it is very wet up there ...not super cold or windy but there has been substantial rain no snow as of 5pm Sunday....Ubiquitous steve has wet socks and boots still!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

any/all snow has been washed away.....:oops::oops::oops:

and standing in defiance of weather conditions we observed a group of Brumbies around 3pole junction beside Mt Jim....u got to admire their adaptation.....regardless...;);)

Last edited:

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Just received an evacuation warning by text. I live in Latrobe shire in Tassie but won't be directly affected by flood waters as I'm out of town. Latrobe township is being evacuated with predicted flood waters heights to exceed any on record.

skipjack10

Hard Yards
Jun 16, 2014

So annoying. Cams and communication mysteriously disappear when bad weather arrives (even in the middle of the season). Makes it difficult to make an informed decision for example if you have a 5 of 7 day day pass and you are wondering whether to get the kids up and into their gear or let them sleep in.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Probably cheaper and more productive in the ling run for the govt to compensate and compulsorily acquire. They are going to need an active dune there. The alternative is a every increasing commitment to larger engineering.

You can see the affect of previous rock dumping actually exacerbating the wash out of that area.

Reactions: Majikthise

glengary

One of Us
Jul 31, 2015
So annoying. Cams and communication mysteriously disappear when bad weather arrives (even in the middle of the season). Makes it difficult to make an informed decision for example if you have a 5 of 7 day day pass and you are wondering whether to get the kids up and into their gear or let them sleep in.
You can't believe their P.R. Bull s... so visual is the best way.

Phil_

Hard Yards
Jun 2, 2016
Feeling all tingly whilst I view the weather reports every 10 mins .... Temps are dropping y'all!!

The Fallen

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2015
Central Coast

Yep, time to cut their losses.

Insurers will be reviewing their rating models today and I would assume an embargo will be placed on the affected suburbs until a proper solution is found.

You would assume that any new cover provided moving forward will exclude any act of seawater/Tsunami/Tidal Surge etc.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Geez your sense of humour is subversive sometimes.

LOL .... you should here the structural engineers "analysing the situation"

Much of the rock dump works undertaken in the 70s and later did its job up and down the coast. Wamberal, Terrigal, Avoca are all back to dumped rock.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Much and all as I'd like some snow, I would rather that things dried up a bit down here. People are being rescued from roofs by helicopter in my town and two people are missing.

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
Looking at that shot, and given his age, I'm thinking they'll only be looking for his body. I can't imagine entering that torrent and coming out alive :(

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
Am I imagining it, or is there a hint of snow flakes on some of the Buller cams?

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
I was just down at Coogee Surf Club. Waves coming overing the breakwall have damaged building walls. Bottom part of club closed indefinitely.
Phaaark ...... That damaged part of the Surf Club has just fallen into the ocean. :(

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass