Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Alpine & Snow' started by Claude Cat, Jun 5, 2017.
a wee dusting at Mt Mawson.
Not much more for Baw Baw.
Perisher has reported 6cm new snow.
I observe the ski.com Thredbo cams haven't updated from yesterday yet.
Hotham starting to look to have credible cover for the weekend with lots of guns spraying snow to Omeo.
Wow that's crazy. I cant believe they recorded a snowfall that wasnt in 5cm increments.
I use the half rule with Perisher snow reports, 6cm is likely to be 3cm, that sounds more credible
I tend to agree, espc given Thredbo (a matter of kms apart as the crow flies) has reported 3cm.
Surprisingly little, I slept very poorly last night and heard lots of showers passing through.
Well, there maybe validity in the diff reports between Thredbo and Perisher. BOM reports 2.2mm for Thredbo to 9am and 6mm for Perisher to 9am
the cedarwood cam shows some reasonable accum on the previously clear spots.
needs more mid station powerade bottle.
I'd be worried about the yellow snow in the powerade bottle.
There are caveats in respective AWS stations, invalid measure IMO. Thredbo is susceptible to freezing beyond -0.0C and Perisher is known for precip anomalies beyond -0.0C such as collecting blowing snow.
Yep. Looks like 2-3cm of fresh in the cleared spots.
I was pleasantly surprised by Normo's perisher carpark photo this morning!
Well that photo looks more than 2cms of snow, based on the car tracks.
Great photo from @Normo
Should be interesting to see what Perisher plan to open this weekend for the QBW.....
2cm of snow normally melts on the bitumen.
My guess, V8, maybe a T-Bar, Quad to mid and maybe Happy.
'normally'? In the day, or on a heated car park maybe...
Snowing at buller as per Facebook live
Agree or dont agree? I'm saying it looks closer to 5cm or more. If 2cm melts into the bitumen under tyre compression, then we must be in agreement as the tyre tracks still show snow in the depressions
Perisher cams show snow guns going just about everywhere.
Looks to be snowing on the Merrits cam at Thredbo
Opps i may have miss read that!!
I agree with the above.
2cms looks like a dusting in the car park!! So at least 5cm IMO. And i wasn't expecting that!
Note wind direction of SSW. This mean no wind load in Thredbo or Perisher and less snow holding. Check some north faces.
Hailing as I sit on a train as we pull into Oatley station (Sydney). Nobody in the carriage noticed. All looking at their phones.
5 min ago it was hailing in Darling Square and now it just rains.
I went up to Perisher this morning to watch Normo do laps (now dizzy) and 5cm is about right. There was 2cm at Island Bend where I'm camping after steady drizzle turned to snow at about 5am when temps dropped.
Incoming weather in Jindy. 5c and windy with spots of rain, dark clouds around and looks to be snowing up the hill.
Still hovering around 0C at Perisher.
Snowing more heavily now at Thredbo.
so we can expect some Bike Leaning On Snow soon ?
Bike would blow away today.
pretty bleak down here on the coast today also.
sheep weather warnings etc.
Bitter in Jindy, fire has been cranked all day.
No, just on the cams
Low seemed to be tracking pretty much up along the coastline all day today.
Appears centered up around Gosford now
Incoming the Southern Highlands and beyond....
Snowing on south perisher cams
And movement in the gauge
c/- Blackheath Weather.
Snow at Shooters Hill on the Oberon Plateau today NSW CT's
(cold, windy and wet at Dargan tonight)
'Kel, I loike what I see'
Is that snow or is it blowing from snow making on Mt P? I don't know exactly where south perisher lodge is.
Can't see anything on the rain radar
Windy cold and light rain in Syd now. feels very wintery
It blardy better be snow
Its in the BOM gauge for all to see..
Snow 2cm coming up , we have folk on the hill. South Perisher is up wind.
I snuck down today on the spur of the moment to ski Front Valley with @Normo . My thoughts on the various Perisher-related questions today (plus hopefully enough first-hand weather obs to be on-topic):
* 6cm sounds close enough, certainly not an over-representation
* Was cold and snowing lightly most of the day. I got there a bit late (didn't decide I was even going skiing today until 4am in Sydney) but it was -1 in the carpark when I got there, stayed below zero all day and -3 when I was taking my boots off just after 5pm.
* Winds today were a bit more S towards SE in Perisher.
* Was about zero in Jindy and blowing a little sleet when I was foraging for dinner.
* In Berridale now it is just below zero and sleeting very lightly. Stars visible. Fairly windy.
* Snowmaking was running on Goat's Gulley, Mt P and it looked like Happy Valley too all day. They could open Mitchell and Sturt T's right now. Quad down Goat's Gulley and Bull Wheel run have been roughly groomed and I would say the quad to half way would be a certainty on the weekend.
* The fan gun in Smiggins over in J-bar Land was running when I drove past this afternoon. Smiggins has only very limited snowmaking (until the new holding tank/dam is built - proposal was lodged a couple of years ago for a good upgrade), so without natural snow they can't open much there except the two magic carpets and one of the J bars.