snowcaml000M.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Well, there maybe validity in the diff reports between Thredbo and Perisher. BOM reports 2.2mm for Thredbo to 9am and 6mm for Perisher to 9am
There are caveats in respective AWS stations, invalid measure IMO. Thredbo is susceptible to freezing beyond -0.0C and Perisher is known for precip anomalies beyond -0.0C such as collecting blowing snow.

Last edited:

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Dont agree.

2cm of snow normally melts on the bitumen.
Agree or dont agree? I'm saying it looks closer to 5cm or more. If 2cm melts into the bitumen under tyre compression, then we must be in agreement as the tyre tracks still show snow in the depressions

Reactions: Craig B

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Agree or dont agree? I'm saying it looks closer to 5cm or more. If 2cm melts into the bitumen under tyre compression, then we must be in agreement as the tyre tracks still show snow in the depressions
Opps i may have miss read that!!

I agree with the above.

2cms looks like a dusting in the car park!! So at least 5cm IMO. And i wasn't expecting that!

Reactions: notty

7wombathead

One of Us
Aug 4, 2010
South
Note wind direction of SSW. This mean no wind load in Thredbo or Perisher and less snow holding. Check some north faces.

newman

One of Us
Sep 8, 2016
Hailing as I sit on a train as we pull into Oatley station (Sydney). Nobody in the carriage noticed. All looking at their phones.

Reactions: IAB and POW Hungry

Err

Hard Yards
Dec 25, 2015
Hailing as I sit on a train as we pull into Oatley station (Sydney). Nobody in the carriage noticed. All looking at their phones.
5 min ago it was hailing in Darling Square and now it just rains.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Low seemed to be tracking pretty much up along the coastline all day today.
Appears centered up around Gosford now
Incoming the Southern Highlands and beyond....

upload_2017-6-6_17-50-24.png

Cuddles

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
Is that snow or is it blowing from snow making on Mt P? I don't know exactly where south perisher lodge is.
Can't see anything on the rain radar
Snow 2cm coming up , we have folk on the hill. South Perisher is up wind.

Reactions: Arsas

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
I snuck down today on the spur of the moment to ski Front Valley with @Normo . My thoughts on the various Perisher-related questions today (plus hopefully enough first-hand weather obs to be on-topic):

* 6cm sounds close enough, certainly not an over-representation
* Was cold and snowing lightly most of the day. I got there a bit late (didn't decide I was even going skiing today until 4am in Sydney) but it was -1 in the carpark when I got there, stayed below zero all day and -3 when I was taking my boots off just after 5pm.
* Winds today were a bit more S towards SE in Perisher.
* Was about zero in Jindy and blowing a little sleet when I was foraging for dinner.
* In Berridale now it is just below zero and sleeting very lightly. Stars visible. Fairly windy.
* Snowmaking was running on Goat's Gulley, Mt P and it looked like Happy Valley too all day. They could open Mitchell and Sturt T's right now. Quad down Goat's Gulley and Bull Wheel run have been roughly groomed and I would say the quad to half way would be a certainty on the weekend.
* The fan gun in Smiggins over in J-bar Land was running when I drove past this afternoon. Smiggins has only very limited snowmaking (until the new holding tank/dam is built - proposal was lodged a couple of years ago for a good upgrade), so without natural snow they can't open much there except the two magic carpets and one of the J bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass