Observations June 5th-9th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
I snuck down today on the spur of the moment to ski Front Valley with @Normo . My thoughts on the various Perisher-related questions today (plus hopefully enough first-hand weather obs to be on-topic):

* 6cm sounds close enough, certainly not an over-representation
* Was cold and snowing lightly most of the day. I got there a bit late (didn't decide I was even going skiing today until 4am in Sydney) but it was -1 in the carpark when I got there, stayed below zero all day and -3 when I was taking my boots off just after 5pm.
* Winds today were a bit more S towards SE in Perisher.
* Was about zero in Jindy and blowing a little sleet when I was foraging for dinner.
* In Berridale now it is just below zero and sleeting very lightly. Stars visible. Fairly windy.
* Snowmaking was running on Goat's Gulley, Mt P and it looked like Happy Valley too all day. They could open Mitchell and Sturt T's right now. Quad down Goat's Gulley and Bull Wheel run have been roughly groomed and I would say the quad to half way would be a certainty on the weekend.
* The fan gun in Smiggins over in J-bar Land was running when I drove past this afternoon. Smiggins has only very limited snowmaking (until the new holding tank/dam is built - proposal was lodged a couple of years ago for a good upgrade), so without natural snow they can't open much there except the two magic carpets and one of the J bars.

Nice update ... thanks for taking the time. Cheers

loweee

One of Us
Apr 21, 2002
Jindabyne
Just went out to get some wood in jindy. 3c and light rain.
We might sneak a few more cm's up the hill tonight. Not too far off snowing here....

Reactions: nfip

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Flash back from a famous ECL 10 years ago
FB_IMG_1496745705724.jpg

Reactions: cin and Claude Cat

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
I snuck down today on the spur of the moment to ski Front Valley with @Normo . My thoughts on the various Perisher-related questions today (plus hopefully enough first-hand weather obs to be on-topic):

* 6cm sounds close enough, certainly not an over-representation
* Was cold and snowing lightly most of the day. I got there a bit late (didn't decide I was even going skiing today until 4am in Sydney) but it was -1 in the carpark when I got there, stayed below zero all day and -3 when I was taking my boots off just after 5pm.
* Winds today were a bit more S towards SE in Perisher.
* Was about zero in Jindy and blowing a little sleet when I was foraging for dinner.
* In Berridale now it is just below zero and sleeting very lightly. Stars visible. Fairly windy.
* Snowmaking was running on Goat's Gulley, Mt P and it looked like Happy Valley too all day. They could open Mitchell and Sturt T's right now. Quad down Goat's Gulley and Bull Wheel run have been roughly groomed and I would say the quad to half way would be a certainty on the weekend.
* The fan gun in Smiggins over in J-bar Land was running when I drove past this afternoon. Smiggins has only very limited snowmaking (until the new holding tank/dam is built - proposal was lodged a couple of years ago for a good upgrade), so without natural snow they can't open much there except the two magic carpets and one of the J bars.

Kudos on the epic day trip and obs!

*stay on topic, Undies...*

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Thunder and lightning in Bondi (~5 sec intervals between the two). Has been steady rain here since around 7-7:30pm last night. 43mm in the AWS since yeserday 9am.

Buller looks to have picked up a few cms, whilst South Perisher still showing some airbourne flakage.

Last edited:
Reactions: nfip and SMSkier

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
25mm in the can further South.
SW Wind 25-30 kts. is making it interesting......
Few rumbles last nght , noting too much.
Pretty much going to "plan" so far.

Reactions: POW Hungry

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Quick Berridale update: Rained lightly on and off overnight. Warmer now than last night - at a guess +3 now vs below zero when I went to bed. Some broken high cloud. Steady light wind from somewhere East of South - a less than ideal direction for snow if it is the same up on the hill.

Reactions: SMSkier
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Centre of the Low pears East of Newcastle .
Seems to be slowly drifting to Sea.
Visual obs on Satellite & radar imaging.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Quick Berridale update: Rained lightly on and off overnight. Warmer now than last night - at a guess +3 now vs below zero when I went to bed. Some broken high cloud. Steady light wind from somewhere East of South - a less than ideal direction for snow if it is the same up on the hill.
Closer to the hill at Moonbah. 3 degrees, wet, foggy and very light breeze.

Reactions: nfip and POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Sydney has picked up 30mm of rain since 9pm last night. Blustery, cold, dank, grey conditions prevail along the coast this morning (Bondi). First morning in about a month I haven't heard my resident Kookaburras outside my window.
Alas, money appears to have still got my binmen out of bed - Contenders for the roughest and loudest binmen in Australia, I reckon.

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
Sydney has picked up 30mm of rain since 9pm last night. Blustery, cold, dank, grey conditions prevail along the coast this morning (Bondi). First morning in about a month I haven't heard my resident Kookaburras outside my window.

Sydney has had 53mm with a heavy chunk of rain inbound now. 31mm came in two hours from 12:30am

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Moving much further inland than I originally thought as well. Was looking like a coastal fringe special earlier this week but picked up 10mm overnight in the Lower BM's with what looks like plenty more to come this morning.

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
Live Thredbo Merrits camera has a couple of groomers pushing around a lot of snow. Looks like they've built a decent base added to by a little natural snow.

Reactions: alexd and Undies

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013
Alas, money appears to have still got my binmen out of bed - Contenders for the roughest and loudest binmen in Australia, I reckon.
pretty hard to be quiet in a bin truck

Reactions: POW Hungry

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Can confirm, it's been the same down the road in Botany.

Minor flooding in the street. Cars wet almost to the axles.
Looks like a massive line just exploded across the basin. Incoming here, thought i was going to get a dry run home when the sun came out earlier LOL Wet weather gear will be in full effect.

alexd

One of Us
May 22, 2017
Sydney
Yep. Our warehouse roof is getting pounded in Sydenham. Can barely hear anyone speaking over it. Gonna be delaying a lot of flights I reckon...

Warlock_01

One of Us
Jul 7, 2015
Gold Coast, Bonogin
Correct me if I'm wrong. Is it normal for the maximum temperatures in the alps to be quite so high. Another few weeks into June I'm guessing they should plummet?

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Correct me if I'm wrong. Is it normal for the maximum temperatures in the alps to be quite so high. Another few weeks into June I'm guessing they should plummet?
Yes and no. To be fair, the outlook this winter from BOM is for a warmer and drier than average season. I'd say we can probably expect mild days and cool nights this winter. As a few people have said so far, this'll be a season made by snowmaking with the odd dump here and there. (Average in other words)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass