I snuck down today on the spur of the moment to ski Front Valley with @Normo . My thoughts on the various Perisher-related questions today (plus hopefully enough first-hand weather obs to be on-topic):
* 6cm sounds close enough, certainly not an over-representation
* Was cold and snowing lightly most of the day. I got there a bit late (didn't decide I was even going skiing today until 4am in Sydney) but it was -1 in the carpark when I got there, stayed below zero all day and -3 when I was taking my boots off just after 5pm.
* Winds today were a bit more S towards SE in Perisher.
* Was about zero in Jindy and blowing a little sleet when I was foraging for dinner.
* In Berridale now it is just below zero and sleeting very lightly. Stars visible. Fairly windy.
* Snowmaking was running on Goat's Gulley, Mt P and it looked like Happy Valley too all day. They could open Mitchell and Sturt T's right now. Quad down Goat's Gulley and Bull Wheel run have been roughly groomed and I would say the quad to half way would be a certainty on the weekend.
* The fan gun in Smiggins over in J-bar Land was running when I drove past this afternoon. Smiggins has only very limited snowmaking (until the new holding tank/dam is built - proposal was lodged a couple of years ago for a good upgrade), so without natural snow they can't open much there except the two magic carpets and one of the J bars.
Nice update ... thanks for taking the time. Cheers