Observations June 5th-9th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Yep we only got down to 9 or 10.
But blardy , wet and far king windy made it feel worse.
Top temp was 13 ish.
Yep 9 to 13 is a pretty bleak 24 hours!!!!
We have clear sky's so cold at night, but warming up to high teens during the day.
Might even get some rain towards/over the weekend up here.

Reactions: nfip

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
hey @Zimboo how cold is it getting there at night?
any chance of a sprinkling on those glass mtns soon?
7.9C last night here!!!! Should be about the same tonight.
I think the coldest I can remember was about 4 to 5C in the.last 20 years here.
More chance of a frost than anything else around these parts.
We live on the steepest hill/street in Noosa and we often asked the kids over the years how they would attack it if it was a ski hill.
It's too steep and not wide enough to skateboard, so it's jump turn territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: cin

Sno Sno SNO

Addicted
Jun 23, 2016
Adelaide
great to see real winter weather set in 1st week of winter
nothing more depressing than warm fine weather this time of year
Another fine sunny, calm day in Adelaide - 17 degrees with nothing but sunshine symbols and 17's or 18's for the foreseeable future.
I only hope that the words of winter in forums such as this stave off the depression.:cry:

Reactions: cin

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Correct me if I'm wrong. Is it normal for the maximum temperatures in the alps to be quite so high. Another few weeks into June I'm guessing they should plummet?
Yeah somewhat above mean Max for JUN at the moment, but we are only a week in AND Minimum Mean temp (month to date) is also lower, so one could argue it's pretty 'normal' at the moment.:thumbs:

Here's BoM's historical summary for JUN in Perisher and here's Perisher's Month to date mean.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
You didn't answer the simple weather-related question, perhaps you could start your own 'make the start of winter 22nd of June, great again' thread somewhere else, perhaps in conversation? As your condescending, know-it-all tone hasn't helped on this occasion.
Some people are simply curious about what weather to expect in June... take it easy, eh?!
Personally I would've pointed out to the OP that temps in the alps haven't been a problem at all so far... it was -6 the other day. This little system, as much as would've been nicer with a heap more natural snow, has been perfect for resorts to consolidate what is opened or get some lifts spinning for QBW. Snowmakers will be going nuts all week pumping it out on those preferred high traffic runs. Now we wait for a genuine season starter, >1ft storm and we're right underway!

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Slightly colder in PV than Thredbo this morning allowing snow making to continue. Meanwhile in Sydney it continues to hose down with showers and rain forecast through to Wednesday at this stage.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Slightly colder in PV than Thredbo this morning allowing snow making to continue. Meanwhile in Sydney it continues to hose down with showers and rain forecast through to Wednesday at this stage.
I observe that my decision to head south to carve some turns is a mighty brilliant one. The hoardes and all!

Sydney will suck this weekend.

Jon snow

Hard Yards
Jun 7, 2015
image.jpeg
It was a wet drive down to Perisher this morning. Showers from Wollongong to lake George and then foggy around Cooma. Currently 5C and not a cloud in the sky on FV.

Last edited by a moderator:

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
7.9C last night here!!!! Should be about the same tonight.
I think the coldest I can remember was about 4 to 5C in the.last 20 years here.
More chance of a frost than anything else around these parts.
We live on the steepest hill/street in Noosa and we often asked the kids over the years how they would attack it if it was a ski hill.
It's too steep and not wide enough to skateboard, so it's jump turn territory.
You must live on Eugarie Street. Often wished there was a magic carpet up that street.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Looking out to the range this evening from home...,no snow in that lot.

Attachments

• IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: POW Hungry

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I observe that the BOM got the forecast for western sydney wrong in a big way this week. They spend a lot of time and effort on the metro forecasts, as that is where 5 million of the population lives, and usually they are pretty accurate.

Tuesday evening the late afternoon update for Wednesday in my area in North West sydney showed a 70% chance of 3-5mm. We ended up getting pretty much exactly 100mm. It's a long time since I remember the BOM getting it that wrong. I guess they completely underestimated how much rain was going to move inland from the coast. They were always forecasting more rain for the coastal strip.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Where are the observations? This kind of theoretical discussion should surely be in a bbq thread or weather technicalities thread. What is happening in the mountains ( or elsewhere)?

Reactions: POW Hungry

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
Rutherglen nearly as cold as the resorts.

Force field running south from benella spoiling what party there was...

loweee

One of Us
Apr 21, 2002
Jindabyne
heavy showers in jindy woke me up at 6am. 5c but looks like from the north.

Not sure it is doing much up the hill. Hovering just over 0c at 1700m

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Rain here at Island Bend for the last 40min. Too warm for snow here 2.5 degrees @ 2630 metres. Starting to clear.

Scoober

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 12, 2014
Gosford
Don't we all love these days.
Just upgraded my rain-wear....need a pair of those big blue rubber lifty gloves.
Link any-one ?
Can get the red ones a Bunnings but too short.
Failing that I'll stay indoors.
Thredbo has the blue pvc gloves with wool interior for sale in their shops at friday flat and VT

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Really !!! :rolleyes:
It is observations......of a wet weather event.
It is a common pattern I have observed every year.
I observe current longer term models suggest this will continue again this year .

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Raining steadily in Jindy. Great start sure has turned into a damp squib. Weekend is meant to be better, but this damp clould seems to have settled in for the day.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Drove to Perisher at 8 am noting a mix of rain and some snow. Continued on to Charlottes. Observed that the snow was more consistent past the Guthries Ridge and holding to the road where elsewhere it had quickly melted. Perhaps some of the snowfall survived above 1900 metres.

IMG_1748.JPG

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
I observe I'm having a heap more fun at Buller today than I would have if I was in the office.

It's a sensational day with clear skies, no wind, no crowds and everyone pumped to have the current terrain open in early June, and gearing up for the weekend.

I also observed the new snowflake machine in action even though it's well above zero degrees.

IMG_3238.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Drove to Perisher at 8 am noting a mix of rain and some snow. Continued on to Charlottes. Observed that the snow was more consistent past the Guthries Ridge and holding to the road where elsewhere it had quickly melted. Perhaps some of the snowfall survived above 1900 metres.

IMG_1748.JPG

Consistent with the levels the models , 850 temp / heights where indicating.

Reactions: SMSkier
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass