June 7 - 10 East Coast Low Obs Thread

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Thought we should start a thread on the obs of this system, well in sydney it looks like it started to rain last night around midnight-ish and has been coming down steadily since!
BOM forecast has been updated to rain periods for the next 3 days - cold & windy! Looks like we're going to get a good 100mm out of this maybe more!!
Can anyone confirm if it's raining out west (around the catchments / dams too ? )

adminvb

First Runs
Nov 11, 2013
Warragamba got bugger-all overnight but it's raing steadily there now. It just needs to penetrate a bit further southwest over the next 24 hours to make a dent in storages.

Mrstr_Chief

One of Us
Nov 8, 2004
Sydney
Was raining pretty heavy were i am (south west syd), stopped now. Looking at the radar before it seems like warragamba should of had some shower activity

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman
Saturday is looking awesome for heavy rain and it should start to penetrate more westwards as we move into the weekend. 25mm this am in Sydney CBD. This is but the calm before the storm I feel. Let it rain !!!!

Megs

Hard Yards
Mar 22, 2006
Windsor NSW
My dad was over in Penrith an hour ago and said that it was pouring... hope that it's hitting the catchment area... but the bom isn't reflecting that at the moment....
cry.gif
:puke:

Last edited by a moderator:

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
stop raining here near NB area, but as others have said I feel it's the calm before the storm....tonight I reckon it will absolutely bucket down!

Batten down the hatches!

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
Oh - post here as well -- sorry - also in other thread

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
New South Wales

Significant Weather Media Release
Issued at 1311 on Thursday the 7th of June 2007

**Severe weather alert for Eastern NSW at End of the week**

A developing weather system will bring severe weather to eastern NSW - including
Sydney - during the next 48 hours.

A low pressure system off the Mid North Coast of NSW is expected to deepen and
move southwards. Rain is already falling in many areas, and is forecast to
increase in intensity overnight and Friday, and continue into Saturday. The
Hunter, Illawarra, Central Tablelands and Sydney are at greatest risk of severe
conditions.

"The low will bring very heavy rain to a wide area leading to possible flooding.
Gale warnings have already been issued for coastal waters and we are looking at
the potential of very dangerous sea conditions," said Rob Webb, Acting Regional
Director of the Bureau of Meteorology in New South Wales.

"Our clear message is to keep a close and regular watch on the latest updates of
all weather forecasts and warnings."

"It's too early to predict the precise location of the heaviest rainfall and
strongest wind, as this will depend on the eventual position and movement of the
centre of the low. However, we are advising people to keep monitoring our
forecasts and warnings, as they will be updated as the weather system develops,"
said Mr Webb.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

woggybot

One of Us
Jul 8, 2000
Kings-bloody-wood, NSW, Australia
Again, may be a bit off topic, but the winds here in Perth have finally changed from strong, cold easterlies from the past couple of days to the more expected NW - Westerlies.

That means the blocking H is finally moving, so I'm just wondering what effect that will have on the predicted formation of the ECL?

BTW, nice to hear all the reports from Penrith area - was born and raised in Kingswood before I moved here! (dilbert7, you brought a tear to my eye!)
laugh.gif

woggybot

One of Us
Jul 8, 2000
CONNECTIONS!!!! Style Doggie, same vintage maaaaaaaaate!!!
laugh.gif

Ah-hem, Sandy... I remember a vicious ECL Aug 85 (maybe 86) which flooded the bejeesus out of Sydney and metro - just didin't stop raining for a few days.
eek.gif

Here's hoping for another
smile.gif

Style Doggie

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Do you remember the coasters? They were so cool. They went something like

"I connected with ______________ at Connections. Their phone number is ________________."
laugh.gif

OMG i'm so old.

And yep that ECL of 86 was definately one to remember.

SteepNDeep

First Runs
May 23, 2002
woggybot said:
CONNECTIONS!!!! Style Doggie, same vintage maaaaaaaaate!!!
laugh.gif

Ah-hem, Sandy... I remember a vicious ECL Aug 85 (maybe 86) which flooded the bejeesus out of Sydney and metro - just didin't stop raining for a few days.
eek.gif

Here's hoping for another
smile.gif
Yep. August 1986. http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/climate/levelthree/c20thc/cyclone8.htm

The 24-hour rainfall total to 9 am Wednesday was a record 327.6mm, and even in the normally drier western suburbs, totals exceeded 250mm.

dilbert7

One of Us
Jun 5, 2001
Glenmore park
woggy style glad i could help with the walk down memory lane. connections was before my time got a few mates that were regulars there. i came out this way and was djing @ bootleggers at the top pub and then came back not long after ut became daily planet.
but getting back on topic (sorry sandy) still raining in the riff very light nothing on this morning.

woggybot

One of Us
Jul 8, 2000
laugh.gif

Now, it looks like the ECL is going to have some strength as the big H seems to be getting squeezed and pushed past; hopefully this will help with some higher snowfalls and maybe helping with any following fronts?

Wil be worth watching this coming week!

PS/ Go Warragamba dam! :fingers crossed:

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
Yep pretty dry this morning in Southern Sydney. Lots of wind. Little rain overnight. The area around Dungog to Singleton is getting pelted as we speak so it will get in (off the coast) Mrs Colgate !

Maybe she's coming down the coast today. Will make the roads interesting on peak hour tonight around Sydney for the Long weekend.

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Still very little rain has fallen in the Sydney Avoidment area.

South, damn you, south!

Gimble

First Runs
Jun 1, 2006
Newcastle
Looks like snow at PB, can't tell whats going on at Thredders.

Raining in steady sheets here in Newcastle since before I woke up at 6, very windy, apparently up to 100 kph.

Curto

One of Us
Jun 10, 2006
Melbourne
It's been snowing all morning at PB. It was as low as half way between the old park entry and new park entry on the drive up.

Gimble

First Runs
Jun 1, 2006
Newcastle
Porkypine said:
Does VIC get a bad deal out of ECL's compared to NSW?
Generally yes I believe, unless it moves very low along the coast.

Gimble

First Runs
Jun 1, 2006
Newcastle
June 08, 2007 10:51am
Article from: AAPFont size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
EMERGENCY crews are scrambling to evacuate 21 people from a container ship that has run aground off Newcastle, New South Wales.
The ship, which has no cargo on board, struck rocks on the coast near Nobbys Head about 10am.

Emergency teams are evacuating everyone on board, but it is not believed anyone has been injured.
I'm so going out to see this thisafternoon!!! Haven't been able to find any photos on the net yet
frown.gif

agentBM

Part of the Furniture
Oct 27, 2000
Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
Get that beer money ready.....re me page one, BOM have updated their forecast with more snow and high % chance and cumulative figures over this period could see three parts of the way to that 40. It may not be as told before, but there is a chance of more snow than perhaps thought this time yesterday....anyway, good enough reason for a beer regardless.

Gimble

First Runs
Jun 1, 2006
Newcastle
hehehe, only just, mine came through an email right on time.

This is turning out to be an interesting system!

All snowfall is a good reason for a beer berg meister
wink.gif

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
looking good berg!!!

Looks like PB will get a good fall out of this in particular....maybe 20cm odd ?

And maybe cooma/berridale/jindy might wake up to a white town in the morning too ??

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass