June travel to Dinner Plain

Bella Jimmy

First Runs
Apr 13, 2021
We are looking at spending a few nights in Hotham or Dinner Plain the week before the school holidays in Vic (around the 16th-20th June).

We are just looking for some family fun as we have young kids that have never been to the snow before. Are we risking it going before the week before 'snow season'? We don't need enough to ski or snowboard, just enough to play! I've read some old forum threads that say to leave it until a couple of weeks before you go to book accommodation as you can keep an eye on the weather, however this year everything is booking up really quickly!!

Also we are planning on taking the extended family with us so would be 3-4 vehicles plus all the luggage that follows young families. Are we better off parking our cars at somewhere like Harrietville and getting a transfer to our accommodation all together?

Any advice on first timers to Dinner Plain would be much appreciated :)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
We are looking at spending a few nights in Hotham or Dinner Plain the week before the school holidays in Vic (around the 16th-20th June).

We are just looking for some family fun as we have young kids that have never been to the snow before. Are we risking it going before the week before 'snow season'? We don't need enough to ski or snowboard, just enough to play! I've read some old forum threads that say to leave it until a couple of weeks before you go to book accommodation as you can keep an eye on the weather, however this year everything is booking up really quickly!!

Also we are planning on taking the extended family with us so would be 3-4 vehicles plus all the luggage that follows young families. Are we better off parking our cars at somewhere like Harrietville and getting a transfer to our accommodation all together?

Any advice on first timers to Dinner Plain would be much appreciated :)

really risking getting snow in June, esp at Dinner Plain.

If it does snow, you would be very unlucky not to get midweek accommodation between QBW and start of school holidays. weekends are usually quiet too, but I wouldn't bet on it this year

Bella Jimmy

First Runs
Apr 13, 2021
really risking getting snow in June, esp at Dinner Plain.

Oh bummer!! I was hoping that was not the case!! Dinner Plain looked like the perfect place to take young kids. Is there somewhere else in Vic that would have a higher chance of snow then?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Oh bummer!! I was hoping that was not the case!! Dinner Plain looked like the perfect place to take young kids. Is there somewhere else in Vic that would have a higher chance of snow then?
it's all pretty risky in Vic in June. The best bet is Perisher or Charlotte Pass in NSW because of the extra altitude.

Of course some years there will be snow at Dinner Plain before school hols. If you can go midweek, you could just wait and see. Bookings then should be pretty light. At our ski club (at Falls) there is not a single booking in between QBW and school holidays, even the weekend. If it snows the weekend could book out quickly but probably not midweek. It's also pretty quiet from school hols till the end of July. I suspect Dinner Plain and Hotham bookings would be similar

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass