Advice needed Just bought some new Salomom XDR 84

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Panpanace, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Panpanace

Panpanace First Runs

Hi
    Just after some advice. I recently bought a pair of new Salomon XDR 84 165 cm with Marker Squire 11 bindings. I was chatting with a friend the other day who said they were probably a bit short and narrow for me. I am 49 yo, 173cm and 68kg. We ski in Japan mainly on the frontside of the mountain but I really want to get more into the powder. I am not an aggressive skier and prefer a more easy going, forgiving and agile ski these days. We are back in Japan this January and I think it is time to buy my 13 yo daughter her first pair of skis. She skis all over the mountain with us including black runs as she likes to give everything a go, she is also keen to get into the pow. She is 163cm and 55kg.
    One option would be to give her my new skis if they are suitable for her and get myself a pair of wider and longer skis, or should I just stick with my skis and buy her a pair that will work for her?
    Thanks.

2. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

First things first. Do Not Give Them to Your Daughter. get here her own pair of skis to suit her skiing and where you ski most. If that's Japan then buy a ski with more capabilities in soft snow terrain.

OK now that we've sorted that, in the assumption that you still desire for daughters love and admiration. Keep them for yourself, they're fine for front side as you've mentioned. I wouldn't venture too far off piste in those particularly in Japan, unless you're a strong skier and it doesn't matter what ski your on. You can poke around the side stuff and get a feel but if you want to improve your off piste or powder skiing buy another pair of skis for yourself, specific to off piste or all mountain capabilities.

3. Panpanace

Panpanace First Runs

Thanks mate I suspected that much, I'll get her some new skis when we're in Tokyo and rent some more appropriate skis for me on the days when the pow is calling or go wild and buy myself a second pair if I see a good deal! Any suggestion on skis for her?

4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I'm a little bit biased mate.
    That aside these would be perfect. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/dps-grommet-skis.82514/
    https://www.dpsskis.com/grom-87-bundle

Actually need some more information to properly suggest a suitable ski.
    Is Japan your main skiing destination?
    How long has your daughter been skiing?
    How many days a season would she put in?
    Is she athletic and adventurous, wanting to get after it or just a cruiser?
    Would you expect her to spend a similar amount of time off piste as on piste or what ratio %?

13's a hard age to call as well, they can be growing in big spurts at that age. My daughter is 13, 155cm & 35kg still a whippet but some of her friends are almost turning into women in front of our eyes. My daughter keeps telling us she's trapped in an 8 year old boys body.

Answer the above questions and I could suggest what type of ski you might want to look at.

5. Panpanace

Panpanace First Runs

Tanks for that DPS Driver, I don't mind a bit of biased if it comes from experience! Rose gold would definitely be the colour of choice for my girl if it was available!
    Japan has become our destination of choice the last 4 years, although last year we had a hicup my daughter broke her finger and had to have emergency surgery in Nagano. Before that we went to NZ when she was about 7.
    We usually go for 2 weeks but this year we have pushed it o 3 to make up for the disappointment of last year. This is going to be our 4th trip to Japan and it will continue to be our goto place for skiing, living in Perth we have to get on a plane no matter where we go and Japan offers the best all round options for us.
    Sounds like your daughter is still waiting to have her big growth spurt, mine went through that last year, she is more looking like a young women these days and she very athletic and sporty. Realistically I'd be happy if we spend 80-20 or 70-30 on/off piste. I was just thinking she might grow out of 'grommet skis' pretty quickly and was leaning towards easy going women skis, but happy to take the advice of someone who knows his stuff!
    Cheers.

6. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Yeah, that's why I asked the question.

It's really an awkward stage. Their growth from a technique and skills perspective is usually taking off at this stage as well but they're still not an adult and lobbing a pair of adult skis on them can inhibit their growth. Conversely you can buy them a pair of skis and they grow out of them in a year.

Look for something with a bit of width n the 150-160cm range. Actually that DPS ski I showed you would be perfect in the 158 length. There's a few shops in Australia who may have some in stock, Rhythm, Bumps, Alpsport, & Snowbound. All do online sales.

If you can't find any in Australia, take that ski as a template look for skis similar to those dimensions.

7. Panpanace

Panpanace First Runs

Thanks DPS Diver that sounds like a good plan.