Trip Report K.N.P. Main Range hike.Feb. 2019

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass: Silver

It is a long story but while hiking the Main Range between 6.2.19 and 9.2.19 in the worst Green season weather I have ever experienced up there I became very ill. Thankfully it was not a solo trip and the other walkers helped me get to Thredbo Top station and down to Thredbo on Sat. 9.2.19 . To Cut a Long story short I have been in the Austin hospital as sick as a dog since Sunday.. They sent me home today and I am still f**ked but the antibiotics are kicking in. I have no other option but to rest and recuperate.
    The major systemic infection I got was from a pre trip shaving cut !!. It is hazardous just keeping yourself nice. I always use new blades. Go figure.
    A full trip report with photos will appear when I am feeling stronger e.g. next week or maybe the week after.
    Please be patient. I am running on 5 % of my capacity. Impulse engines as Scotty from Star Trek may have put it.
    T.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Tanuki likes this.
  2. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Black on black.

Seth, POW_hungry and Telemark Phat like this.
  3. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

So happened Mr T? Short version?

4. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker

Attic and basement?

5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

6. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Crikey Mr Tee who would have thought :eek: good to see you are slowly winning.
    If you don't mind sharing I'd be interesting in reading what went wrong. Keep it fairly dumbass though ;)

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The weather on the Main Ra. was very bad indeed. Driving Hail, Driving rain, a whiteout, 150 kph freezing winds, no trees , no huts, no pole lines like here in our BHP in VIC. . I will elaborate another day.
    Look up cellulitis with high fever.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  8. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room

Get well soon Mr Tee!
    I look forward to reading another of your Trip Reports when you regain your strength.

chokenchickin likes this.
  9. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

Getting sick in the mountains is no fun. I had full gastro at Cleve Cole a few years ago. Not much fun spending extended periods of time in the long drops there, but grateful to have them all the same!!

10. Seth

Seth Pool Room

The ebola trip?

11. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

That's the one. 4 out of 7 of us got it. I was Patient Zero.

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears will get him some Jagermeister....a few Jagerbombs with red bull and he will be upto speed.

13. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

Sorry to hear that Mr. t. I suspected something was wrong with your lengthy absence. Had a similar thing many years ago when one of the women in the house borrowed my razor. I now use an electric. It was not a good time to be in the mountains and we postponed our trip due to the constant barrage of storms every day last week.

14. Ubiquitous Steve

Perhaps we could send our correspondent to a more welcome environment down at Toms Hut with the bovines....he could have a leisurely weekend checking that things are A Ok ...while he recuperates in the mixed eucalypt forest .

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Tuesday 5/2/19. The drive up to Thredbo from Melb. .. We stopped at Lake Hume for lunch. It was about to rain and the air had smoke in it.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It rained quite a bit after lunch . We left Victoria when we crossed the Murray River.

skifree likes this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It was rather wet and overcast on the drive up to Khancoban , where I obtained a NPWS permit for the Tee mobile.

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

We put up tents in the rain at Ngarigo camping area by the Thredbo river.
    The River was flowing well.

neilmny and skifree like this.
  19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

My tent before it was mangled by insane weather on the Main Ra. . I can say I was vindicated about my own policy of NOT camping above the tree line. Since I joined a hike with another club I did things their way on this trip :-0.

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ms. A. had her tent set up in a jiffy.

neilmny and Jacko4650 like this.
  21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It was a L O N G drive from Melb. in the Tee Mobile.

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Wed. 6/2/19
    The weather looked OK at The Cascades. We met the other walkers at Dead Horse Gap and went up the footpad towards the Rams Head South. Visibility was quite good. I was carrying 5-6 days worth of food which made that 400 M. elevation ascent in a short distance quite taxing.

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The foot pad went straight up. It was tough . The scenery was improving as we ascended.

skifree, Tanuki and neilmny like this.
  24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am sure I missed taking some photos of some wonderful old snow gums while I was huffing and puffing up that goat track.

neilmny likes this.
  25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It was a LONG Wednesday on foot. We didn't make camp at Wilkinson Valley until almost 7 pm :-0.
    I prefer to reach camp by 2 pm if possible and wind down a bit.
    We took in all the major Peaks of the Ram Head Range and Mt. Kosci. too.

skifree, Tanuki and Bogong like this.
  26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The weather on day 1 of the hike was not unpleasant . It was cool and clear. It began to turn bad as did my health, on day 2, 3 and 4.We took in most of the rocky peaks of the Rams head Range. I scratched my knee and it became bloody when I grazed it against a rock.

neilmny and Boodwah like this.
  27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Day 1. Wednesday Feb. 6th. Views from The Rams Head South. One of the many 2000 M. + peaks in the KNP.

skifree and POW_hungry like this.
  28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A fellow walker at the South Rams Head trig point. A lot of rocks !!! Day 1 of walking.

skifree, POW_hungry and VSG like this.
  29. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture

Same aspect but with 1.6m of base on it, from August last year:
    Interestingly the rock with my pack on it is the centre-left of your frame.

luke1234, skifree and Tanuki like this.
  30. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker

Costa!

31. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture

My pack always contains veggies.

telecrag and Untele-whippet like this.
  32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Whoever thought that these rocky outcrops look like a Ram's head should have slowed down on the magic mushrooms.

skifree likes this.
  33. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture

Mr Tee's story of illness and shocking weather on a club trip at Thredbo reminds me of many years ago when I was still involved with a large hiking club, but was planning to get out and do my own trips. I knew heaps about running club walks and trips, but I was messing around with formats for the trips my mates and I would run once I got out.

I hired two large lodges at Thredbo for four nights over an early Easter and we ran half a dozen day walks each day. In addition we had a couple of club pack carrying walks in the area. Despite the utterly ridiculous scale of things, dealing with about 100 people, amazingly everything worked quite well... until the weather tuned to crud. The 80 odd day walkers were fine, half of them went on shorter walks in sheltered areas and the other half did pub crawls or visited Jindy.

But one of the pack carrying groups was blown off the Main Range, tents were shredded and some of them were hypothermic when they tuned up unannounced on the doorstep of one of the lodges I'd hired. While every guest bed was already full, I paid the manager of one of the lodges to put a few people into crappy staff accommodation with a 1.5 metre high ceiling, I put others onto the floors of rooms in the other lodge, moved out of my bed and slept on the floor of the laundry in the slightly nicer lodge. Unfortunately the lodge manager caught me sleeping there when he went to do some washing at 6.00 am and subjected me to a 2 hour rant about exceeding permitted numbers of guests. Fortunately he never found out about the extra people sleeping on the floors of guest rooms and I spent the next two nights sleeping in the laundry of the other lodge.

For me that was it for organising big club trips, the planning of 2 dozen walks that Easter and the logistics of trip planning, transporting 100 people and accommodating 80 of them (plus 10 extra at the last minute) were too much for me. So for the past decade I've just hiked with friends and run smaller 35 person accommodated trips on a non profit basis.

34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I often walk /XC ski on my own at my own pace and avoid camping above the tree line . The club I walked with will remain anonymous but I do prefer smaller groups and a less hectic pace as well as well sheltered campsites. Thankfully the people I walked with were very experienced, kind, caring and helpful and my situation could have been an " activate the PLB" jobbie if I was on my own.
    Anyway as we moved past the Ram's Head Range we joined up with the steel walk way at the Cootapatamba Lookout.. There was a small amount of dirty ice left on where the Kosci. cornice usually forms in white season. The well known tiny red hut near the Cootapatamba Lake was visible but reportedly out of bounds due to some local regulation from the Hydroelectricity authority or some such .

#34 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    luke1234 and skifree like this.
  35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

More photos from the Wed. Feb. 6th 2019 . Day 1 of the big walk.
    We were planning to head for The Rolling Ground. I have not been to the Rolling Ground so I was keen to take part in such a walk. I have been to White's River Hut which is not far from the Rolling Ground.
    Once the weather turned foul I wished we'd started at Guthega Power Station , stayed in the tree line and camped at White's River hut . My tent would have been better off there.

skifree and Boodwah like this.
  36. Lord Back Country

Lord Back Country Hard Yards

Dear Mister Tee

Thanks for your posts, reports and photos, I really enjoy your stories and appreciate the time you take to write about your Kosi adventures, an area I love...

cheers

37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It has been some years since I made it up to the Mt. Kosci. summit. The new cairn and sign are quite smart. This was late on day one of the hike. We then headed down through Mueller's pass on the Hannel's spur track and set up camp at Wilkinson's creek. After dusk there was a fierce electrical storm with rain , thunder and lightning. You can see my green tent before it became bent and mangled by gale force winds.

luke1234 and Boodwah like this.
  38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The next day , Thursday started out well but after visiting Alice Rawson Peak, Mt. Townshend and Abbot Peak the weather became very wet , foggy, windy and cold and with nowhere to hide we set up camp on an exposed saddle below Carruther's peak. At this stage I was not feeling especially ill at all.

39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Day 2. Mt.Townsend, , Alice Rawson Peak and Abbott Peak. It became very foggy when we reached Abbott Peak and so there were no views from that point onwards really, just a cairn of rocks. It began to rain a lot too. We contoured around Wilkinson Valley and had lunch just near Mueller's Pass , down behind a pile of rocks in the rain.

neilmny, skifree and Edgecrusher like this.
  40. Mister Tee on XC Skis

While we smashed it out along the Main range track , we could not stop anywhere along the way. The weather had turned to shite. It was too wet and too cold and foggy to stop. Finally we found a spot to put up our tents and get out of the weather, just below Carruther's Peak. It was very exposed. I should have pitched my tent so that the tent walls were not facing the westerly wind that was gusting up from near the Sentinel.
    Once the rain cleared on day 2 there were some views and a chance to dry out rain jackets and cook food outside . There was a stream trickling across the track heading towards the Blue lake , where we could access water.

41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

More day 2 pictures. On day 3 visibility /weather was so bad that we hid in our tents for 24 hours.
    :-0
    Day 4 the weather was possibly worse with a white out and gale force winds that made heading back to Rawson pass quite challenging. I was properly ill by Sat. , day 4. The others shared the weight I was carrying and we took stock at the Bunker like loo block at Rawson's pass. Hot tea was made .

Moreover Ms. A. took a tumble down the steep slope in winds that were capable of blowing an adult off his/her feet . She almost tumbled all the way down to Lake Albina in a white out. For a moment the clouds parted and we could see the lake.
    :-0
    That was very alarming. The two other chaps handled the emergency very well and went and rescued her. Miraculously Ms. A. only suffered a cut nose despite rolling out of control with a heavy multi night pack.
    So all other photos seem to be from day 1 and 2. After that the weather was too crap and I was becoming too ill to bother with the camera.
    I have always said the Main Range in bad weather is scary and camping above the tree line up there is risky . I am still right about that in my mind.
    I don't need to do that again. I am still interested in more trips to the KNP and exploring it further but it can wait until Spring , esp. for some XC skiing in good weather with a day pack.

42. zapruda

zapruda Addicted

There is nothing wrong with camping above the treeline on the Main Range. Many of us here have done it a bunch. It sounds like your trip leader was severely lacking in experience and the ability to judge the weather and everything that entails. Personally, I would have never taken a group up in that weather with the forecast that was available. On my own? Probably...

There is no shortage of amazing trips you could have done below the treeline, and in the immediate area.

I always enjoy your trip reports Mr Tee. I hope you are recovering quickly.

43. FloatOnSnow

FloatOnSnow Hard Yards

Thanks for your perspective Mr Tee- glad you are recovering well. You sound like you had a tough time of it, even before the infection spoilt your trip! I agree Zapruda, there is nothing wrong with camping above the treeline as long as you are prepared for it. In an Alpine area I tend to err on the safe side and take 4 season equipment despite it being summertime. Also as a member of the group that participated on this walk, I can say that others in the party are extremely experienced in these sorts of conditions and were known quantities to each other, so were perhaps less fazed by a decision to camp high. Certainly my feeling is that the club participants had no problem with our Leader's decision making. However, I understand that every indivindual has a different acceptance of what they deem their limits or assess risk. It's hard for a Leader to assess this for first timers to our club as well as for visitors to assess our standards. Hopefully you have a better experience next time if there is one Mr Tee.

44. Ubiquitous Steve

These things happen to us all....it’s amazing what can go wrong ....Team Bears would not be too critical of anybody these days.....sometimes we are out on our own with not even a water bottle...
    One day we will attacked by wasps and somebody well tell you we were an accident about to happen,

FloatOnSnow and zapruda like this.