Trip Report K.N.P. Oct.14th & 15th 2017

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I drove up to NSW for my annual spring NSW snow trip to the KNP.
Golly Gosh ! that is a long way from Melbourne in one day.
It was a bit cloudy at Lake Hume when I stopped for lunch.
By the time I got near Corryong the view of the Main range was somewhat obscured by clouds ( a Pink Floyd ex stoner reference , man).
Once I got my permit at Khancoban NPWS office I was on my way.
The view from Scammel's lookout on Friday the 13th ( spooky man ) was also obscured by clouds.
When I finally got to DHG, Oh what a relief !
I stopped and took a break and snapped some photos.
I drove onto Ngarigo and put up my tent. I got a good bit of riverside frontage with friendly ducks for company.
Then I went to Jindy to Wilderness sports who helped me out with some Madshus Epoch BC XC skis, kicker skins( I did n't end up using the skins, short hops and herringbones work for me), NNN BC friendly boots which were comfy womfy and some poles.
Then I went back and got the camp fire going with some petrol station firewood and made dinner. I was whacked after so much driving.
It rained a bit overnight but it was clear and frosty the next morning.
It is always nice to car camp on grass after a season of pack carry snow camping trips.
Ther next morning, Saturday ,
I got my shite together and went by car to DHG. I hiked up the AAWT to Thredbo top station with skis and snow shoes strapped to my pack. Once I hit the snowline I could not see any track so I just went by compass, enjoyed the marvelous scenery and popped out at the old pole line near the top. I am a map and compass kind of person.The snow was icy firm so I just hiked up it in ski boots . I stopped for lunch at the top . By then the snow was very soft and I found that snow shoes were easier for that terrain, what with being a novice on skis and all.
I had used up a lot of energy hiking that could have been employed for skiing.
The day had got away from me. I saw the steel walkway and being a sunny Saturday it was like a path of ants moving along in procession , some with skis, snow boards and others clearly not dressed or equipped for walking on deep drifts on snow.
Many tourists on foot who came by chairlift ( The Snow Gum lift , not the Kosci. express) did not have sunglasses.
I skiied a bit along the way including a slight traverse where the steel edge was usefully employed. However the snow was so soft and the intermittent cover made taking the skis on and off to be a time waster and a P.I.T.A.
By the time I reached the Cootapatamba lookout it was nearly 2pm. I had left my car at DHG and had to get back before dark!.
So a summit mission to Mt. Kosci. was not on the cards that day but the scenery and visibilty were outstanding. I took many photos and then headed back. The snow was so full of foot prints and so sloppy I could not get a novice snow plough working on the declivities so I walked all the way back to the Chairlift. I was worn out and did not fancy walking down the hill. So I got a ride on the chairlift , for free ! :).
At the bottom I walked back along the Thredbo River back to my car. The skis kept hitting the vegetation and trees what with being strapped to my pack and all.The river looked very inviting and pleasant. It was quite warm in Thredbo.
Seeing my car at DHG at 1730 after a 0815 start was a welcome sight. I was ROGERED!.
DAY Two.Sunday .
I was up early after conking out quite early . I didn't feel like another day of serious effort.
I drove up to Spencer's Creek on another glorious sunny morning. The gate was locked.
I put on boots and skis and skied a bit of the pole line XC ski track near the car park at Spencer's Creek but it was only about 9 ish and still a tad icy .
So I went back to the car and swapped skis and ski boots for a day pack with snow shoes strapped onto the pack and put on hiking boots and took different poles.
I walked up the CP road to the turning circle.
The Road was dry and clear and people on bicycles and in cars ( locals with a a key to the gate) were heading up the road. Others were skiing up the shoulders of the road. I was just curious about what it was going to be like. . I don't think I have the ski skills to ski all terrain out there but I wanted to see what the scene was like.
There was almost full cover in many places. The track out to Seaman's hut had deep complete cover as far as I could see.I could have skied that. The Snowy river had BIG snow walls on it at the crossing. I went half way across in bare feet and turned back.
The water was painfully cold. I swore like a trooper.
I wanted to have another crack at the Blue Lake and Carruther's Peak just like I did last year , I did it on snow shoes , but I also wanted to ski.I had to get the ski gear back to the shop by 1700 and the extra hour on foot to CP and back ruled out a timely day trip to the top of Carruther's peak.
I ate some lunch on the river bank and thawed out my feet.
I went back to the car and got my skis because I had spied some ideal learner terrain on Johnnie's plain where I could practise all my ski skills as a learner should.
I got my glide back and then went and did some turns without crashing , using the shoulder of the road as a declivity. The clear run off down to the pole line from the road meant there was nothing to collide with.
I had it all to myself and was having F U N sliding down hills. Yes , a former snow shoe nut , embracing the force!. The Madshus Epoch BC XC skis with the NNN BC bindings worked really well. I could see myself buying some of those rather than renting .
Eventually It was heading towards 1600 and it was seriously warm in the sun . The UV factor on the spring corn snow was intense !.I was covered in zinc cream.
I went back to Jindy on a high.:) I may not have reached a snowy summit with a killer view on this NSW trip but I BC XC skied on ungroomed spring corn snow and improved and had FUN.
16/10/17.
I took a slow drive back to VIC. via Geehi flats for a scout out of Hannel's spur trail head. The creek was flowing too quickly to ford it and reach the hut where the trail head is meant to be.
Olsen's lookout road was shut. The View from Scammel's lookout on the way back was spectacular. It was another clear sunny day . I went via The Kiewa and Ovens valleys and stayed in Myrtleford at my friend's house . I needed to break up the drive and I enjoyed the verdant spring scenery at lunch time at Khancoban.
I will go to the KNP again in Jan. 2018 for hiking and well as possibly on the third weekend of October next year when I get back from some Indian Himalayan trekking.
I will be better at skiing by then and will give skiing up to Carruther's peak a go next time.
.Photos from a phone, film camera and digital camera are coming soon.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
DSCN2347.JPG
Mr.Tee at Cootapatamba lookout. 14.10.17 . It was a day of more hiking than skiing. I learnt a lot and will take the ski lift up next time!.
DSCN2347.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
It is a good time to buy gear now. You will save hundreds. I have the epochs as well and find them good for the sort of thing we like to do. NNN bindings may work for you just now but later you will probably want a bit more power transmitted to the ski when you get into steeper conditions and carrying a heavy pack if that is what you intend to do in the future. My advice would be to buy a set up that you can grow into and not out of quickly. I also recommend the Alpina Alaska for the leather boot option and they come in NNN or 75mm.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
It is a good time to buy gear now. You will save hundreds. I have the epochs as well and find them good for the sort of thing we like to do. NNN bindings may work for you just now but later you will probably want a bit more power transmitted to the ski when you get into steeper conditions and carrying a heavy pack if that is what you intend to do in the future. My advice would be to buy a set up that you can grow into and not out of quickly. I also recommend the Alpina Alaska for the leather boot option and they come in NNN or 75mm.
I wonder what kind of set up might you suggest rather than NNN BC bindings ?. Do the Alpina Alaska boots click onto other kinds of free heel BC bindings?Is the 75 mmm what is also called the Bear Trap binding ? . I found the rental Rosignol NNN BC boots allowed snow shoes to be fitted easily and micro spikes would have been simple to fit too. I walked a lot in those rental boots in one day and had no blisters or sore feet issues at the end of the day .

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
A crummy mob.ph. pic. of my ski tracks out near the C.P. road on Johnnie's plain.I was turning and stopping without crashing!!!. I went up and down like a yo yo from the road.I was having fun on the gentle gradient and then looking at my ski marks working out if I had turned and snow ploughed correctly with both skis .
Photo0040.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: neilmny

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Nice effort bloke, cheers for the report. Where in Indian Himalaya are you trekking? Have done a bit thru Himachal, Sikkim, Assam, Kashmir, as well as Pak and Nepal.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
I wonder what kind of set up might you suggest rather than NNN BC bindings ?. Do the Alpina Alaska boots click onto other kinds of free heel BC bindings?Is the 75 mmm what is also called the Bear Trap binding ? . I found the rental Rosignol NNN BC boots allowed snow shoes to be fitted easily and micro spikes would have been simple to fit too. I walked a lot in those rental boots in one day and had no blisters or sore feet issues at the end of the day .

I run Targa G3 bindings which are pretty standard cable bindings. Not a rat trap or bear trap set up and not a 3 pin but still free heel. I can still put snowshoes on but crampons or micro spikes could be a problem. Not tried it. The Alpina Alaska come in both style bindings and after a couple of trips feel just as comfy as my Scarpa hiking boots. NNN may be OK for what you intend to do. I am certainly not the expert in these matters but don't let anyone tell you to go to plastic boots. They are great but not suited to the things you do which is much the same as the stuff we do although we will look for some slopes, not just tour. My partner has pretty much put the snowshoes away now, preferring to ski everything we used to walk. I still take both.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass