1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report K.N.P./Perisher Valley XC ski trip.Sept. 21 -24th 2019

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi . Your correspondent in the field drove a long way in one day over the border to find some Spring snow to ski on.
    Having reached an over saturation point of XC skiing this season the main motivation was to visit my old friend who is the manager of the Silver Brumby in Thredbo. In addition to that finding out what the Nordic skiing set up at Perisher is like was interesting , however snow conditions were not that good for XC skiing. I was wise to take my rock hoppers for what seems to have been my last day on planks for 2019.
    The drive up towards Wodonga became increasingly hazy with what I thought was smoke from a huge controlled back burn. As I travelled further and stopped at Corryong for lunch the gloomy overcast conditions became more pronounced.
    At Khancoban the man at the petrol station said it was dust. A lot of red dust from the interior of the big dry land.
    He also said because the weather was windy to watch out for falling timber on the road to Thredbo. I should have packed the chainsaw but fortunately I did not require it. Further along the weather became very wet and driving conditions were not optimal at all. What is usually a scenic drive became less than scenic with visibility becoming quite poor.
    Finally having departed at 8 am from Melbourne I arrived in Thredbo just after 3 pm. That drive never becomes any shorter or easier.
    It was very good to see Ms. E. and get all of her news. She has been the manager there for 17 years or so. She introduced me to the K.N.P. and to snow shoe walking on the Main Range some 14-15 years ago.
    She gave me a comfortable en suite room to stay in on the 21st and on the 24th of September.
    :)
    It rained cats and dogs, monkeys and frogs overnight , as well as much hail and thunder , the red dust fell to earth as precipitation. This was not going to be good for the ski surface.
    The next day on Sunday Sept. 22nd 2019 I said farewell to Ms . E. and headed off to camp at Island bend for 2 nights . Having found a good spot down nearer to the Snowy river and set up my tent and then I went to Perisher to check out the Nordic ski centre and ski the 10 km loop.
    The snow cover on the way up from Jindabyne was looking very sparse even above 1700 M. .It was not looking good at all. The Baw Baw Plateau had far more snow the week before on my 17/9/19 trip to Mt. St. Gwinear.
    I reached the busy car park and I got organized. I found the Nordic ski centre and had lunch there. Then I clicked into my Rock Hoppers for some slush skiing, rock hopping , water skiing, grass skiing and so on. The photos will tell the story better.

Noah and Paperboy like this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Waking up in Thredbo on 22/9/19.The snow cover at D.H.G on the drive up looked to be lack lustre.
    I could hear the fat lady singing , the resort based season is/ was almost over. The vibe at Thredbo Village was very subdued.

#2 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Noah, Paperboy, skifree and 1 other person like this.
  3. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The BC season is just starting.

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Setting up camp at Island Bend. It was almost deserted . It is a beautiful place to camp when the crowds are absent.

Noah, Paperboy and skifree like this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I know , but I won't make it out to the Main Range in October 2019 . I have other things to do this spring. Next year is a must do trip to Charlotte Pass in October.

Noah likes this.
  6. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Book yourself into a CP lodge in late September, I don’t believe you’ll regret it.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It was a sunny and clear day but a bit windy at Perisher on 22/9/19. The set up they have there for XC skiing is very good. The Building for skiers to eat and rest in , the colour coded pole lines, excellent scenery etc. It would be very good for skiing in August.
    The ski trails with pole lines continue to Charlotte pass. I will give it another go one year in August. The terrain was mainly easy / intermediate level with no hairy steepish curling bits at all really. Not like the Black Run below Paw Paw Plain in the Mt. Hotham to Dinner Plain area in Vic. .The slow, sludgy and broken snow surface also meant going fast was not really going to happen especially if one could not see if the terrain ahead was skiable or not.
    The 10 km loop had a number of skis off /skis on sections.
    The Perisher XC ski Website seems to gloss over some of these cold hard facts .To be fair ,I did not have much in the way of high expectations for top shelf XC skiing . It was late September not early August.

Attached Files:

#7 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Snowy Joey, Noah, Paperboy and 3 others like this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The only time I fell over was on a descent late in the afternoon when I hit an exposed rock. The skis just stopped dead and over I went. Getting these op shop classic XC rock hopper skis this season has been a wise move for early/late season skiing .By the time I had skied for well over 3 hours and 10 kms , I had come to the point where I had had enough and headed back to the Tee Mobile.
    The slopes with the ski lifts were still busy esp. with snow boarders whereas I didn't meet anyone out on the red dust slush XC ski/rock hopper /swamp trails

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Some more photos from my Rock Hopper XC ski afternoon at Perisher on 22/9/19.I saw some lovely old snow gum trees and the higher mountains further afield still had some good snow cover for B.C. skiers.Overall I had a good day out but I did do some Cross country skiing in the broader sense( slush,grass, rocks, water, mud and a slumping snow pack ) as the photos show.

skifree likes this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Monday. It is was snowing on 23/9/19 at breakfast at my camp at Island bend but the snow was not settling on my tent. I went and had a look around the camp site. Only one or two other parties were also present. After a visit to Jindabyne to get a few things ,I decided to go and see what was happening at Perisher. The weather looked much too socked in and rather iffy for skinning/hiking up from Guthega/ Illawong bridge or from up Dead Horse Gap that day.
    I avoid Main Range outings unless the weather is clear and settled.
    By the time I reached Perisher Valley Car park it was puking with horizontal wet snow and visibility was very poor. I booted up and was ready to XC ski with the rock hoppers and then I decided that such a venture would be not so good at all and drove back to camp have a walk around the campsite , [upper and lower campsites] and to sit by the camp fire rugged up with a book to read .
    The snow was hammering down all the way back to Island Bend. It was even settling almost the whole way down to the campsite turn off on the Guthega road(1250 M.).
    The wildlife there at the campsite is quite tame. The birds and marsupials have most certainly seen people before.

aazz and skifree like this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Tuesday 24/9/19
    I packed up my camp and was in Jindabyne to fill up with fuel and obtain a few things from the shops by about 9 am. I reached Dead Horse Gap by about 10 am. It was a bit late to try for a full day trekking up to Mt. Kosci via Dead Horse Gap and back. I was not that motivated to go skiing anyway, not if I had to schlep up there carrying my skis. I have done it before so I know what is involved.
    Being the end of a very busy ski season I was a bit burnt out really. So I took off my ski gear and kitted up for a hike out to Bob's Ridge on the AAWT. This was spectacular and unlike the D.H.G. route &/or the foot pad up to the Rams head South which I know , I had never really investigated this terrain before. I reached Bob's Ridge by 1245 , ate lunch out of the wind sheltering behind a boulder and decided that the Cascade hut was another hour further on and that would add two hours more to the day hike .
    I met a group of young walkers at my lunch spot who were trekking out to the Snowy river near the Pinch River , with the intention of kayaking down the Snowy river to the sea at Marlo. A 21 day trip. Quite impressive indeed I must say.

I was on my own and even though I had all the needful items for solo trekking incl. a map , compass, whistle , spare food , spare water, weather proof attire, PLB, emergency bivvy bag etc. I elected to amble back and take a lot of photos.
    The snow cover was only continuous above 1800 M. near Bob's Ridge. There were some solid drifts above the Thredbo river for B.C. Ribbon running but the snow pack was slumping and had weak spots where you might sink through if ribbon running is your thing.
    There were wild horses out there. I saw at least three of them. I saw rabbits and on the drive up from Khancoban on 21/9/19 I saw a deer with big moose like antlers. It was a relief to see a wallaby or two, a native animal !.

I will return to hike out/ski out to Teddy's Hut and the Cascade hut . Consider it in my 'in tray' for K.N.P. trips.

Ms. E.( Manager of the Silver Brumby Chalet) went to Sydney to meet the board of the Silver Brumby, but she left me a key for a room. It had a nice view of the ski runs at Thredbo. I enjoyed having a shower and shave and sleeping in a real bed in a warm building. As nice and peaceful as the starry nights were at Island bend, it was rather nippy out there !.

Snowy Joey and Jonathan_P like this.
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Hike back to DHG from Bob's Ridge. Even as an easy day walk or an easy day tour on BC skis it would be well worth doing again .The fire trail is not marked so in deep snow and poor visibility, knowledge of the terrain would be useful.
    The climb up to Bob's Ridge would be solid on skis.
    The B.H.P,. The Pilot and Mt. Pinnibar were all visible from the crest of Bob's Ridge. If dead tree skiing/dodging is your thing then the Southerly facing terrain out that way still had some half decent B.C. spring cover.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yet more photos from the early spring AAWT Pilot Wilderness day walk from Dead Horse Gap to Bob's Ridge and back. The good weather added a lot to the great scenery and remote and expansive feeling one obtained whilst walking out there.
    I had no FOMO in terms of skiing somewhere. I was happy walking. Therefore I must have skied enough this season. Some forum members know how keen I now am at Nordic skiing ,since I changed over from snow shoes .

Snowy Joey and skifree like this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Back at Thredbo at breakfast on 25/9/19. Plus some scenery from the endlessly long drive back to Melbourne on Wed. 25/9/19. Scammel's lookout, Geehi Flats and Lawrence lookout ( The Murray Valley Highway) were all worth the detours. Lunch was daal and rice cooked on my trangier at Huon reserve at Hume Weir.
    The Rail trail out there looks good. I ride a bike and would be interested in cycling some of that route.
    It was a good trip , relaxing but not that heavy on skiing .I will budget better and get the over snow service to Charlotte Pass in spring 2020.

#14 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Snowy Joey, bomber, cwpski and 2 others like this.