1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion K2 Apache Stryker w Marker Mod 12 bindings

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Ben Lomond Brad, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Part of the Furniture

I have managed to find a pair that have had about a weeks skiing for $170.
    Haven't committed to buying yet, so any info on them would be great.

I'm 95kg and inter/advanced and ski ungroomed Ben Lomond crud when not boarding.

Good buy?

2. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

I've had these for a few years now and found them to be quite heavy, they are also a twin tip. I'm 6'4" and 80kg, but find after a day skiing I have sore legs, but this could be age related! Not sure if they are good value as they are getting old now, but hopefully other members with more experience than me can advise.

3. Ben Lomond Brad

Yeah, I thought they felt heavy. I'm only 5'10", but solid/muscular/athletic. Ok, just a little pudgy

4. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

These are my spares after an upgrade to some Kenos a couple of years back. I haven't been on them in a while and when I am it's in crap conditions. Overall, I find them a bit heavy and a touch sluggish, but overall a pretty good ski which I would recommend for an intermediate on a budget.

The tips and tails medium softish so they initiate easily and are comfortable with short and long turns, but they do have speed limit. I'm not saying that they'll fold up on you, rather that at a certain point I won't want to push them harder. There's a nice amount of camber underfoot so you can get a bit of pop out of them if you put some energy into them. There's not much (if any) Tip rocker and only a tiny amount of tail rocker, so you get a decent effective edge. The weight helps in crud, not that these are damp monster crud busters, but they aren't pushed all over place.

One thing I do find is that these skis need you to be driving them. For example, if I ski with loose boots in my Kendos thing work as expected, response time goes down but the ski feels stable. When I ski with loose boots in the Stryker the ski tends to wander a bit and I need to noticably drive the tips (or do up my boots).

I might get them out next week and see if my recollections are right.

From your description I figure you could do a lot worse for $170 or whatever you end up paying for them. And they are going to be better than some old clapped out hire skis.

For the record, I'm 180cm and 80kg.

Hope this helps

5. Ben Lomond Brad

Thanks @LaNeige Certainly helps :)

Think I'll bite the bullet and make him an offer (he also has a pair of boots for sale that might fit my wife and if they do, i'll try the old bundle trick)

6. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

How long are the skis?

7. Ben Lomond Brad

8. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds about right.