K2 Poacher Ski Review (& question)

ben0

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Hi All,

I just spent the last 3 days skiing on the K2 Poacher (177cm). I know how much I benefit from reviews so I thought I would provide my own here;

Snow conditions; Mixed. Wet pow, hard packed, groomed, chop etc

I have been skiing mostly on the Armada TST over the last few years, which is fatter, softer yet still carved relatively well. First impressions on the Poacher was the stiffness of the ski. It felt very stable and tip chatter was kept to a minimum. At first I felt as though stiffness required me to work a bit harder and turn initiation wasn't immediate. I really started to become accustomed to the ski on day 2 and 3.

The ski was capable of short radius skidded turns in steep terrain and seeemed to relish in medium radius GS turns. It plowed through chopped up snow with relative ease. For me the stiffness ended up translating into power. It also encouraged me to use good technique. In softer snow the all terrain rocker became evident and the ski felt "surfy" and the tail would release if you wanted them too. The poacher seemed to have a good amount of pop. I was pleasantly surprised whenever I would find some side hits or any little mound of snow I wanted to air off. It made moguls fun. My park riding only consists of 180's (including switch) and 3's. it felt stable and forgiving, especially noticeable when landing awkwardly. Oh and I haven't yet found its speed limit.

If you are looking for a one ski quiver where you plan to rally groomers in the morn, hunt some pow if it's on offer and muck around in the park then I think this is a great option. I wouldn't say it does anything in particular exceptionally well, but no all rounder does. I would feel confident In having fun and performing well on this ski regardless of what I was doing (except maybe touring).

I just bought a pair which will become my everyday ski here and OS (partnered with the Amanda JJ for when I'm in Japan).

*Question; What do you tend to do when you buy new skis in terms if tuning/wax?

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
Thanks for taking the time to post a review, the Poacher sound like a nice all rounder.

Don't be afraid of waxing often, some people do it daily. Tune the edges whenever they are blunt (i.e. you can't feel your fingerprint being scraped off by the edge or find yourself sliding helplessly across sheet ice). As for a base grind, when required to get rid of those gouges on the base.

Reactions: ben0

ben0

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Don't be afraid of waxing often, some people do it daily. Tune the edges whenever they are blunt (i.e. you can't feel your fingerprint being scraped off by the edge or find yourself sliding helplessly across sheet ice). As for a base grind, when required to get rid of those gouges on the base.

But what about brand new skis with the factory tune? Wax required?

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Hi All,

I just spent the last 3 days skiing on the K2 Poacher (177cm). I know how much I benefit from reviews so I thought I would provide my own here;

Snow conditions; Mixed. Wet pow, hard packed, groomed, chop etc

I have been skiing mostly on the Armada TST over the last few years, which is fatter, softer yet still carved relatively well. First impressions on the Poacher was the stiffness of the ski. It felt very stable and tip chatter was kept to a minimum. At first I felt as though stiffness required me to work a bit harder and turn initiation wasn't immediate. I really started to become accustomed to the ski on day 2 and 3.

The ski was capable of short radius skidded turns in steep terrain and seeemed to relish in medium radius GS turns. It plowed through chopped up snow with relative ease. For me the stiffness ended up translating into power. It also encouraged me to use good technique. In softer snow the all terrain rocker became evident and the ski felt "surfy" and the tail would release if you wanted them too. The poacher seemed to have a good amount of pop. I was pleasantly surprised whenever I would find some side hits or any little mound of snow I wanted to air off. It made moguls fun. My park riding only consists of 180's (including switch) and 3's. it felt stable and forgiving, especially noticeable when landing awkwardly. Oh and I haven't yet found its speed limit.

If you are looking for a one ski quiver where you plan to rally groomers in the morn, hunt some pow if it's on offer and muck around in the park then I think this is a great option. I wouldn't say it does anything in particular exceptionally well, but no all rounder does. I would feel confident In having fun and performing well on this ski regardless of what I was doing (except maybe touring).

I just bought a pair which will become my everyday ski here and OS (partnered with the Amanda JJ for when I'm in Japan).

*Question; What do you tend to do when you buy new skis in terms if tuning/wax?
I'm not overly fussy. I ski on them a few days before waxing, and then tend to wax every few days thereafter.

Reactions: ben0

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
I was a bit afraid of centre mount until I tried it. Love it.

Now everyone else skis look wrong. Like their sitting on the back.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass