Trip Report K2G

DJM

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
sydney
After many years of chatting about a Bro Tour my brother and I decided we were sufficiently old and tired enough to smash up the Main range together.

We figured we'd wait for shit conditions, take old gear and sabotage ourselves with crap fuel cannisters, dodgy bindings and in my case hire gear.

This is how it went down and I'm slightly disappointed that it went so well all things considered....

Traditionally I like to be weathered before day one so we managed to get a little pissed the night before leaving Kiandra with the old man.
It was pissing down as we staggered up the first hill. Wicked fun.

IMG_3297.JPG

It was wet and miserable but we pressed on and chatted about how the stitching was already pulling away from both our harnesses due to monster loads. I decided against the sewing kit this trip because needles are heavy.

IMG_9583(1).jpg

IMG_9607.jpg

The few hours of travel allowed us to hit the snowline for the following day and we got away early (10am) after discussing how well we were doing. I was secretly excited about what was to come on the Happy Jacks plain but didn't want to spoil the surprise for Scott.

IMG_3392.JPG

I had a little lie down when things got tough. Scott followed.

IMG_9634.jpg

IMG_9623.JPG
IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9688.jpg

IMG_9691.jpg

The day was beautiful and despite the difficulty of seeing so much devastation from the fires, we really didn't care to be anywhere else. We were travelling slow for so many reasons and by the time we were ready to descend down the ridge to HJ plain, fatigue was setting in. Some fairly desperate and marginal skiing took place on my part to nav through tight burnt treed terrain.....but we made it and set up on the flats.

IMG_9694_Moment.jpg

Another early night for me while Scott wandered around doing his thing with a camera. He managed a nice shot of the Southern Cross over camp.

IMG_9984.JPG

The next day was pleasant enough and despite the stigma associated with Happy Jacks, I thoroughly enjoyed meandering along at my own pace. Scott was pretty stoked with all the walking and lack of snow.

IMG_9719.jpg

IMG_9734.JPG

IMG_9747(1).jpg

IMG_9757.JPG

Scott informed me at dinner that his fuel was extremely inefficient and despite clearly stating on the cannister it was a winter mix....It wasn't. An hour of burning any of his fuel and the water was barely reaching boiling point. I was pissed. We only had my fuel and a long way to travel.
The next day took us up to Spencers Peak and beyond. Spencers Traverse makes me mad. Next time I'll take a slightly better route as I always take the direct approach and pay the price. Scrub city.

IMG_9772.JPG

IMG_9778_Moment.jpg

IMG_9787.jpg

My feet were brutalised by the torture devices that were my rental boots. No amount of shaolin mind tricks seemed to work so by the end of the day, I swindled Scott out of all his best drugs and dosed up on everything available. I taped over my already heavily taped feet and longed for my stash of Endone which was still at home.

The following day my feet were at least usable and despite longing for an epidural all night, they came good.

Part 2 following......

Attachments

• IMG_9634.jpg
    IMG_9634.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

DJM

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
sydney
Part 2

The next day saw Scott's binding start to pull out of the ski. Half an hour of gluing, screwing and taping and we were off again rather nervous about how long it would hold.

IMG_9799(1).jpg

IMG_9808_Moment.jpg

IMG_9817.JPG

IMG_9826.jpg

One more day over the Kerries and down to Schlink pass with another cannister of fuel simply not releasing gas despite being completely full....Time to bail for beer! All in all it was a great week out and quality time spent with my brother. I'm already trying to decide which boots I'll need to buy for touring across next year.

IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9894.JPG

IMG_9898.JPG

IMG_9906_Moment.jpg

IMG_9922_Moment.jpg

I'll probably lose the big toenail...

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9964_Moment.jpg

Good times....

Attachments

• IMG_9799.jpg
    IMG_9799.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 0

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Awesome report!!

What brand was the canister that caused the problems. I've had trouble with pro fuel ones, always seem to perform terribly in cold weather despite being labeled as a 4 season mix. The Jet-boil brand ones seem to work well though in the cold.

Reactions: Chaeron

DJM

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
sydney
Awesome report!!

What brand was the canister that caused the problems. I've had trouble with pro fuel ones, always seem to perform terribly in cold weather despite being labeled as a 4 season mix. The Jet-boil brand ones seem to work well though in the cold.
I had Jet boil and I've used plenty of MSR and never had problems. Scott used Optimus.

Reactions: Chaeron

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Good effort and well deserved beers. Maybe motivation to get some properly fitted boots? (And I'd be checking with whoever fitted those bindings, unless they were, um, self installed?)

Reactions: DJM

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Gluttons for punishment....which we souls locked onto our properties would take every day of the week right now.

Great pics, although the burnt areas are a tad depressing.

Reactions: Chaeron and DJM

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
Part 2

The next day saw Scott's binding start to pull out of the ski. Half an hour of gluing, screwing and taping and we were off again rather nervous about how long it would hold.

IMG_9799(1).jpg

IMG_9808_Moment.jpg

IMG_9817.JPG

IMG_9826.jpg

One more day over the Kerries and down to Schlink pass with another cannister of fuel simply not releasing gas despite being completely full....Time to bail for beer! All in all it was a great week out and quality time spent with my brother. I'm already trying to decide which boots I'll need to buy for touring across next year.

IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9894.JPG

IMG_9898.JPG

IMG_9906_Moment.jpg

IMG_9922_Moment.jpg

I'll probably lose the big toenail...

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9964_Moment.jpg

Good times....
You definitely deserve this. Maybe play it Mrs/Mr (I don't want to assume anything) DJM and get a well deserved foot rub/massage? Great report.

Reactions: DJM

DJM

One of Us
Aug 16, 2007
sydney
An excellent report lads.
Parts of it reminded me of scenes from the battle of Moscow

"Scott was pretty stoked with all the walking and lack of snow" - classic dry wit.
Why not take your old da next year?
Dad funnily enough broke his hip getting out of his car on a trip with Scott about a month ago. He was hobbling around on crutches playing the pokies with me the night before dropping us at Kiandra. Lots of whiskey, lots of laughs. :)
Sorry we missed you out there mate.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass