1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Kanasi to Hakuba

Discussion in 'Passport' started by BrentC, Nov 17, 2008.

1. BrentC

BrentC Hard Yards

Hey everyone.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but a quick search failed to turn up anything.

I'm wondering what is the cheapest and easiest way to get from Kansai International in Osaka to Hakuba.
    As this is my first trip to Japan, a trip on the Shinkansen would be phenomenal!

(I have confused the shite out of myself trying to figure out the Japan rail network - the best I have managed is it involves a trip on either the Sanyo or Tokaido line to Nagoya.)

Any help would be apreciated!
    Brent.

2. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Local train Kansai - Shin-osaka (shin= shinkansen rail)
    Shink from shin-osaka to Nagoya. Change there to catch the "shinano" directly to Hakuba.
    Though if you'll arrive at Kansai @ 8pm (most flights do) you'll need to stay in Osaka the night. I recommend getting a hotel near shin osaka and also with a "airport limosine" service directly to the door of the hotel.

3. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Actually, the Shinano doesn't go all the way to Hakuba form Nagoya. You need to change trains at Matsumoto, to either the local train, or if you're lucky, the Azusa express will take you there a couple of times a day.

Shin actually doesn't = Shinkansen.

Shin = new. Often the Shinkansen stations built along the Shinkansen tracks in the 60s & 70s had to be a new stations, hence Shin-Osaka Eki means New Osaka Station.

#3 Sandy, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  4. jh_16

jh_16 Hard Yards

i heard your cashed up brentc...why dont you hire a private chartered helicopter with your mates and arrive in style!!!! There has got to be a helipad somewhere yeh? DO IT!!!

5. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

Osaka sounds cheap to fly into but it costs more to get to hakuba for sure. The rail pass is also not much of a discount. The shink is easy really hpyerdia.com should give you enough information about the trains.

6. BrentC

BrentC Hard Yards

Thanks for the replies.

I found that hyperdia.com link on your website Fattwins (I believe we are staying at your place!). But it didn't make much sense the first time I viewed it. Now I know some names/train lines it all comes together :).

Does anyone know if there is a bus from Osaka to Hakuba or somewhere close to (maybe Nagano?) that might be cheaper then the train system? It looks like costing around Y12000 (If I understand correctly, the booking fees are nearly half the fare!) or nearly $200 AUD!

7. Sandy

What do you mean the "booking fee"? Of the 11,060yen for the trip, there is a "express surcharge" (about 4100yen, which on hyperdia says "reserved seat" for some reason). This surcharge is added on top of the normal fare charged for distance on a regular JR train. There is no "booking fee" as such.

If you don't want to pay that much, you could travel non express trains for around 7500yen, and experience the pleasure of 11 hours of trains.....

#7 Sandy, Nov 19, 2008
  8. BrentC

BrentC Hard Yards

The "booking fee" was something that came up on the hyperdia quote.
    I'm willing to spend an extra $70 to avoid 11 hours of trains [​IMG]

#8 BrentC, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. Sandy

There is no "booking fee" on Hyperdia.

#9 Sandy, Nov 19, 2008
  10. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Hey Brent I had a couple of mates do exactly the same trip as this last year.
    I reckon this is the best bet.
    Airport limo bus from kansai airport to your hotel. Timetable here. No need to stuff around on trains after a big flight.
    http://www.okkbus.co.jp/timetable/unchin.cgi?rosen=kix_umd&mode=en

Then stay here. Nice and easy to find and deal with. I've had mates that have wandered the streets at 1am looking for their hotel in osaka. Sometimes hotels are had to find. Or somewhere similar and cheap near the station
    http://www.hankyu-hotel.com/hotels/19osakashh/index_en.html

Then next morning.
    The 8.07am Shink to Nagoya. arrive at 8.57
    Then 9.34 Shinano to matsumoto. 11.43
    Then local train matsumoto 12.15 to hakuba arrive at 13.48
    Cost 7140 yen.
    You might have to reserve the shink (maybe) but I'm sure you would be fine on the Shinano and local train (as long as its not peak travelling time weekend. public holiday)

#10 Donza, Nov 20, 2008
  11. Sandy

You've got the price wrong. The "fare" is 7140yen, but the express surcharge is an extra 4220yen, bringing the total to 11,560yen.

As I mentioned previously, what Hyperdia says is the "Reserved seat" charge is actually the "express surcharge". You can't get around it if you use the Shinkansen or the Shinano. And if I recall correctly, you have to have a reserved seat on the Shinano. (but not on the Shinkansen)

e.g. If you use the Shinkansen and you reserve a seat, there is a reserved seat fee, but it will only cost maybe another 400 yen.

#11 Sandy, Nov 20, 2008
  12. John Deere

John Deere First Runs

The value of flying into Osaka for me was simply flying into Osaka, it's a pretty cool place with a different vibe to Tokyo. Make sure you spare a day or two for sampling the local cuisine!

#12 John Deere, Nov 20, 2008
  13. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]

#13 Heinz, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013