1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Karhu and Fischer backcountry skis

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by powpowgal, Sep 6, 2017.

1. powpowgal

powpowgal First Runs

I'm hoping for some advice please.

I have acquired some Karhu Kodiak Kinetic and Fischer Europa 99 Crown skis but I'd like to hear opinions from those in the know about whether they are really suitable or not.

By way of background, I've been classic XC skiing since I was a kid, I'd call myself a good intermediate-advanced but definitely not an expert skier. In my teens and twenties I mostly rode a snowboard and went alpine skiing, but also did a bit of backcountry skiing and ski touring. Now that I have young kids I have rediscovered classic XC skiing as I can tow the kids in our chariot (when they are not shuffling along beside me on their skis).

I'm looking for skis that are good on groomed trails and suitable for light backcountry skiing (nothing too serious with the chariot, but also allow me some freedom to get away from groomed trails when I am child-free). Do you think the Karhu Kodiak kinetic and Fischer Europa 99 crown skis will do the trick?

Your thoughts are much appreciated please!

Chaeron likes this.
  2. Cyathodes parvifolia

Cyathodes parvifolia Hard Yards

They are both great skis for the sort of thing you're planning. Nice and grippy for towing too.

powpowgal and Chaeron like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

+1.
    Give them a wax and see what you can do by way of edge tuning. May only be able to file the sides.

powpowgal and Chaeron like this.
  4. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Both are ancient skis.

Put em on the pool room wall and get some nice loverly new ones.

5. Ziggy

Nothing wrong with a bit of recycling.
    Cheap and a good way of testing an intention.
    I recently bought a pair of skinny skis that'd been through two ski hire firms! In surprisingly good nick too.
    So what they (re)taught me was how good camber and straightish sides are when you want to cover ground, how much we sacrifice when we go shorter, wider, curvier and soft-flexing.

BillyKidd, Chaeron and powpowgal like this.
  6. powpowgal

powpowgal First Runs

Thanks all for your opinions. I'm upgrading the bindings to fit my boots and tuning them then planning to test them out this weekend. Will keep you posted!

Fozzie Bear and Ziggy like this.
  7. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

If you got 'em for free then they're awesome.

If you paid for them then how awesome they are, will depend on how much you paid.

If you paid a lot for them then you should have asked for opinions prior to purchase.

I hope you have fun on them regardless. I'm sure you will. They should be fine for your intended use.

8. weerab

weerab One of Us

If you need a pair of Rottefella Chilis, I have a good pair which I will probably never use again after buying a SH pair of switchbacks.

9. powpowgal

powpowgal First Runs

Thanks weerab.

I was going to get NNN BC bindings. Do you think they would be appropriate for the skis I've got (and the type of skiing I'll be doing) or would it be better to get cable tele bindings like the Rottefella Chilis that weerab is suggesting?

10. Ziggy

NNN BC will be plenty with those skis. Magnums have the same 40mm pin as the rest with a wider base.
    Get tall boots if you're bent on rough off-track work, eg Madshus Glittertind.

11. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi Weerab, I'm still issuing chillis on my touring tele skis so if you are giving your old ones away I would like them as spares for backcountry rips. Think I bought red zzeroes from you which have been very nice to ski in.

12. weerab

weerab One of Us

No I don't think you bought Red Zeros from me. Anyway, had a change of heart and decided to keep the Chilis just in case. Cheers

13. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

No worries, happy tele-ing to you.

14. axellotta

axellotta Addicted

I have recently done a full edge tune and wax on a virgin set of E99s, no problem at all putting a 1deg base and 2 deg side bevel on these.

15. axellotta

axellotta Addicted

I have also fitted my E99s with NNN BC and it makes a sweet, sweet touring package compared to my much heavier duty 75mm setup. I have the Rottefella Auto version fitted which have a slightly narrower clamp than the Magnums so they theoretically will have a little less turning power but for my level of skiing I doubt I will ever be able to tell the difference.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Yeah, that type of rig feels sinfully light after 75mm.

Someone here once described NNN-BC as the Subaru of the binding world. Very apt.