Advice needed Karhu and Fischer backcountry skis

powpowgal

First Runs
Sep 6, 2017
I'm hoping for some advice please.

I have acquired some Karhu Kodiak Kinetic and Fischer Europa 99 Crown skis but I'd like to hear opinions from those in the know about whether they are really suitable or not.

By way of background, I've been classic XC skiing since I was a kid, I'd call myself a good intermediate-advanced but definitely not an expert skier. In my teens and twenties I mostly rode a snowboard and went alpine skiing, but also did a bit of backcountry skiing and ski touring. Now that I have young kids I have rediscovered classic XC skiing as I can tow the kids in our chariot (when they are not shuffling along beside me on their skis).

I'm looking for skis that are good on groomed trails and suitable for light backcountry skiing (nothing too serious with the chariot, but also allow me some freedom to get away from groomed trails when I am child-free). Do you think the Karhu Kodiak kinetic and Fischer Europa 99 crown skis will do the trick?

Your thoughts are much appreciated please!

Reactions: Chaeron

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Both are ancient skis.

Put em on the pool room wall and get some nice loverly new ones.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Nothing wrong with a bit of recycling.
Cheap and a good way of testing an intention.
I recently bought a pair of skinny skis that'd been through two ski hire firms! In surprisingly good nick too.
So what they (re)taught me was how good camber and straightish sides are when you want to cover ground, how much we sacrifice when we go shorter, wider, curvier and soft-flexing.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
If you got 'em for free then they're awesome.

If you paid for them then how awesome they are, will depend on how much you paid.

If you paid a lot for them then you should have asked for opinions prior to purchase.

I hope you have fun on them regardless. I'm sure you will. They should be fine for your intended use.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
Thanks all for your opinions. I'm upgrading the bindings to fit my boots and tuning them then planning to test them out this weekend. Will keep you posted!
If you need a pair of Rottefella Chilis, I have a good pair which I will probably never use again after buying a SH pair of switchbacks.

powpowgal

First Runs
Sep 6, 2017
If you need a pair of Rottefella Chilis, I have a good pair which I will probably never use again after buying a SH pair of switchbacks.
Thanks weerab.

I was going to get NNN BC bindings. Do you think they would be appropriate for the skis I've got (and the type of skiing I'll be doing) or would it be better to get cable tele bindings like the Rottefella Chilis that weerab is suggesting?

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
NNN BC will be plenty with those skis. Magnums have the same 40mm pin as the rest with a wider base.
Get tall boots if you're bent on rough off-track work, eg Madshus Glittertind.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Weerab, I'm still issuing chillis on my touring tele skis so if you are giving your old ones away I would like them as spares for backcountry rips. Think I bought red zzeroes from you which have been very nice to ski in.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
Hi Weerab, I'm still issuing chillis on my touring tele skis so if you are giving your old ones away I would like them as spares for backcountry rips. Think I bought red zzeroes from you which have been very nice to ski in.
No I don't think you bought Red Zeros from me. Anyway, had a change of heart and decided to keep the Chilis just in case. Cheers

axellotta

Addicted
Sep 28, 2015
+1.
Give them a wax and see what you can do by way of edge tuning. May only be able to file the sides.

I have recently done a full edge tune and wax on a virgin set of E99s, no problem at all putting a 1deg base and 2 deg side bevel on these.

axellotta

Addicted
Sep 28, 2015
NNN BC will be plenty with those skis. Magnums have the same 40mm pin as the rest with a wider base.
Get tall boots if you're bent on rough off-track work, eg Madshus Glittertind.

I have also fitted my E99s with NNN BC and it makes a sweet, sweet touring package compared to my much heavier duty 75mm setup. I have the Rottefella Auto version fitted which have a slightly narrower clamp than the Magnums so they theoretically will have a little less turning power but for my level of skiing I doubt I will ever be able to tell the difference.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Yeah, that type of rig feels sinfully light after 75mm.

Someone here once described NNN-BC as the Subaru of the binding world. Very apt.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass