1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Life Keeping resorts 'secret'

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

I find half the fun in researching new places and looking for cool little things to see. First time to Tohoku next trip and pretty pumped to explore near Tazawako.

Found this neat little Jazz Bar / Pension near Lake Tazawa. Only 20 mins to the mountain.
    [​IMG]

Also some pretty epic views at lake level. Can’t wait.
    [​IMG]

fennekeg, Mike Pow, M_G and 1 other person like this.
  2. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Tazawako is seemingly getting a bit less
    of a ‘secret’. There is ‘on piste’ accomodation at the sports centre at the far right (looking up) of the resort base. It has basic western rooms if I remember rightly and large tatami rooms. It’s pretty reasonable price wise and provides traditional Japanese dinner and breakfast, Last time we tried to book it was full. Gets school groups etc.ski out the door though. As said by me and others it has some pretty cool options for xc track and bc tours. A regular bus service is available from the Shink station. to the resort and several onsens further along the road. Also good for bc access if you do not have a car. Probably should shut up about it though.

3. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

I'm a sharer.

If it's good I'll tell whomever's listening.

Kamoidake in central Hokkaido is rumoured to be closing this season.

I hope not.

LMB and M_G like this.
  4. Brendan Shanahan

Brendan Shanahan Hard Yards

So much love for Kagura in this thread. I rode there a few times last season and found it incredibly underwhelming based on all the glowing reviews I had heard. That lift layout is such a killer, basically 4 (long) lifts before you get to ride the relatively short top zone.

My concern is climate change is going to win the race for how so many of these resorts get ruined, so I am all for sharing. As long as you don't take my line ;)

My best days this season were all at one of the busiest resorts, well, just outside the resort.

5. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

So you just rode the top chair?

6. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

I couldn't imagine Tazawako as an appropriate hill for a first time visitor to Japow. Not without any support on the ground as others, above, have noted. Plus, it's a little on the isolated side. The drive from Morioka to Tazawako is a little tedious. Hmmm, who is offering these "deals"?

7. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes you should. ;) It's in no danger of closing that's for sure.