Trip Report Keppel's hut day hike.16kms. 11.11.20

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field took a good friend and nature lover for a day in the hills to visit Keppel's hut and to enjoy life outside of Melbourne and the end of lockdown .
The route was Mt. Margaret Gap/Lady Talbot road/Keppel's hut track/ Keppel's hut (lunch) / Boundary track/Blue Range road/ Mt. Margaret Gap.
It was according to the lovely Ms. J. and her magic watch that counts the distance walked, 16 kms in total.

Lady Talbot road was locked at Mt. Margaret gap and there were some BIG trees still down on that road . Keppel's hut track is in shite condition with some challenging sections for even a lifted 4 WD as well as some big trees down on the track. Keppel's hut track was still gated and locked. DEWLP are working on clearing the carriage ways. The Boundary track has at least 7 big trees down across it.
Until the track to Keppel's hut is opened ,cleared and repaired I will not be able to collect my supply drop nor do any work on the foot track from the hut to the LM ski trails.

I shall soon post some photos from what was quite a pleasant day with the rain only falling on the drive home.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
_SAM7308.JPG
_SAM7309.JPG
_SAM7310.JPG
_SAM7311.JPG

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
If you look at what remains of the root system on those big dead trees it’s amazing they stay standing at all. A delicate balancing act, some probably fall over if a heavy bird lands on a limb LOL

Keppels hut track looks ok?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
_SAM7324.JPG

The Keppel's hut 4 x 4 track has become very rough :-0 (see above)
The Boundary track ( see below) is a work in progress for the Team leader for BC XC ski access to Keppel's hut and LM .I met him back in his element directing the bears but the bar oil thingy in his chainsaw was not co operating. I told the Team leader that he should have got a proper Makita power tool from the outset!.
_SAM7326.JPG

The Ruoak track has been given up as a dead loss and a lost cause by DEWLP ( see below)
_SAM7327.JPG

The Boundary track was not skiable if we had 30 cm of snow down to 1200 M. There were far too many fallen logs and saplings blocking the way.
_SAM7325.JPG

Reactions: neilmny
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Rode up that way in April, keen to get back with a rod.
Dont think they can ever reopen Lady talbot drive bc of all that potential for treefall.

DEWLP staff were working on clearing Lady Talbot drive when I was there last week . They were using heavy machinery . That road needs to stay accessible even just for bush fire fighting access/management and winter XC skiing access to Keppel's hut.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass