Keppel's Hut/ Lake Mtn. hut loop.7/11/18

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Salaam,
    I went up to Keppel's hut today to retrieve my unused food/supply drop. I had planned to hike in there during the ski season from the winter closure gate at Mt. Margaret road and ski at Lake Mtn. for nothing.
    Somebody had found my stash in the bushes.
    I found a sealed top bucket half full, having been stripped of some of it contents including tinned cream , candles, firelighters etc.I do remember leaving another bucket with a stash of briquettes and kindling. That has vanished altogether. :-0 .o_O:mad:
    I took the chain saw up the Keppel's hut walking track all the way up to the Lake Mtn. ski trail junction with the Hut Loop XC ski trail and cut all the easy poles that were on the track.:thumbs:
    Some medium sized poles were suspended on a slope and/or too big for me to cut safely or risk getting the bar/chain stuck .There are some new monster fallen trees on the track that I had to climb over with difficulty and the whole thing is rapidly becoming very overgrown since I was there in May 2018 .
    I put an entry into the Hut Log book requesting DEWLP rangers to recut the entire walking track properly and send a grader up the access track from Lady Talbot Drive to Keppel's hut.
    The Keppel's hut track was a bit rough , muddy and hairy to drive on but having All terrain tyres made a world of difference. I Just dropped the RAV4 AWD into Low gear and ensured that I was keeping it rolling forwards .
    There is no timber down on Lady Talbot drive or Keppel's hut 4 WD track.

Bogong likes this.
  2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Was Lady Talbot Drive open its whole length? Or are there still some closures?

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

As far as I can tell LT drive is open for the whole loop. I would not drive it in a 2 WD though. My companion and I went from Marysville to Phantom Falls yesterday and then turned around. Today from the Mt. Margaret Road it was open the whole way up to the Keppel's hut turn off and the gate at The Upper Taggerty track junction heading towards The Beeches was open too. The DEWLP ranger left an entry in the Keppel's hut log book stating that they had cleared and opened the whole LT Drive on 1/11/18.
    The Upper Taggerty track heading towards Lake Mtn. is closed at the Keppel's hut track junction. Yank's Folly Track is still locked.

teckel likes this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I might go back up there with a brush cutter if I cannot get a sensible answer from DEWLP.

5. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Put a blade on!
    Sounds like a good plan:thumbs: