Keppel's Hut/ Lake Mtn. hut loop.7/11/18

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass: Silver

Salaam,
    I went up to Keppel's hut today to retrieve my unused food/supply drop. I had planned to hike in there during the ski season from the winter closure gate at Mt. Margaret road and ski at Lake Mtn. for nothing.
    Somebody had found my stash in the bushes.
    I found a sealed top bucket half full, having been stripped of some of it contents including tinned cream , candles, firelighters etc.I do remember leaving another bucket with a stash of briquettes and kindling. That has vanished altogether. :-0 .o_O:mad:
    I took the chain saw up the Keppel's hut walking track all the way up to the Lake Mtn. ski trail junction with the Hut Loop XC ski trail and cut all the easy poles that were on the track.:thumbs:
    Some medium sized poles were suspended on a slope and/or too big for me to cut safely or risk getting the bar/chain stuck .There are some new monster fallen trees on the track that I had to climb over with difficulty and the whole thing is rapidly becoming very overgrown since I was there in May 2018 .
    I put an entry into the Hut Log book requesting DEWLP rangers to recut the entire walking track properly and send a grader up the access track from Lady Talbot Drive to Keppel's hut.
    The Keppel's hut track was a bit rough , muddy and hairy to drive on but having All terrain tyres made a world of difference. I Just dropped the RAV4 AWD into Low gear and ensured that I was keeping it rolling forwards .
    There is no timber down on Lady Talbot drive or Keppel's hut 4 WD track.

ARitchie and Bogong like this.
  2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

Was Lady Talbot Drive open its whole length? Or are there still some closures?

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

As far as I can tell LT drive is open for the whole loop. I would not drive it in a 2 WD though. My companion and I went from Marysville to Phantom Falls yesterday and then turned around. Today from the Mt. Margaret Road it was open the whole way up to the Keppel's hut turn off and the gate at The Upper Taggerty track junction heading towards The Beeches was open too. The DEWLP ranger left an entry in the Keppel's hut log book stating that they had cleared and opened the whole LT Drive on 1/11/18.
    The Upper Taggerty track heading towards Lake Mtn. is closed at the Keppel's hut track junction. Yank's Folly Track is still locked.

teckel likes this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I might go back up there with a brush cutter if I cannot get a sensible answer from DEWLP.

5. Ubiquitous Steve

Put a blade on!
    Sounds like a good plan:thumbs:

6. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture

Whenever I do the Cement Creek track on Donna Buang, I take a pair of secateurs to trim the scrub back a bit. While most of the track remains in tip top condition since Parks Vic ceased maintaining it in 2009, the bit at the bottom where it crosses the creek is getting a bit overgrown and the few hundred metres at the top below Boobyalla Saddle where the track emerges from the rainforest into open Woollybutt woodland has lots of bracken covering the track making it difficult to follow.

Sadly I lack both the skills and the tools to do much more than make small dents in the problem areas, but if anyone out there is able to assist in keeping one of the best walking tracks in Victoria open, they would have my perpetual gratitude.

7. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

You know who to call.

teletubby likes this.
  8. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Surely PV not maintaining this track is a sad reflection as to the state of Parks' funding generally in Vic and perhaps Oz to some extent.

Apart from the inconvenience /safety aspects here, doesn't this just provide ammunition to the anti-parks mob who say creating parks just locks them up.

Has anyone in PV/DELWP/Mins' Office studied Park history? At all? Sheez!!

9. Ubiquitous Steve

Fit one of these to a straight shaft brush cutter ..
    ..Team Bears will do some more on Longspur 4x4 Track..with our blade like this one.....Longspur walking track has some places that require attention too......but our time is limited and we must leave others to participate in keeping things open......

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If I apply such a device to the scrub on the lower section of the Keppel's hut track then it will be a rental whipper snipper , a 2 stroke jobbie with the circular blade.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have been given a reply to my query about Keppel's hut walking track. See below:
    "Dear Mr. T.
    Thanks for your enquiry about the condition of Boundary Trail East between
    > Panorama Ski Trail and Keppel Hut.
    >
    > I will pass on your observations about the trail conditions and fallen
    > trees to Parks Victoria for the section of the route managed within Yarra
    > Ranges National Park.
    >
    > I am aware of the degree of tree fall that is occurring within the fire
    > killed Alpine Ash forest. It is presenting an increasing hazard for trail
    > users and management staff and poses an increased requirement on all
    > persons visiting those sites to be aware of weather conditions,
    > particularly strong winds and heavy rainfall which increase the likelihood
    > of trees or limbs falling.
    >
    > I will have a look at the trail and assess what works are required.
    >
    > Feel free to phone if you have further queries.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peter Cobb | Forest Management & Roading Officer | Marysville
    > Forest, Fire and Regions | Department of Environment, Land, Water and
    > Planning
    > 58 Lyell St, Marysville, Victoria 3779
    > T: 03 5957 7114 | E: peter.cobb@delwp.vic.gov.au
    >
    >"
    - Show quoted text -

Ubiquitous Steve and Bogong like this.
  12. Ubiquitous Steve

Well you got a reasonable reply.......

Very good you have established a contact .....we hope that action is taken.
    Some of the DSE staff are very approachable ......

Fire season is upon us...(not much problem this week though!!) and DSE staff are very conscious of the need to have access trails for fire fighters clear and serviceable for fast attack!

Xplora will be happy with your formal approach...
    So DSE can service both tourist needs and fire fighting requirements .

Plus it’s good publicity for them ....as they can demonstrate their public relations .

13. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Cobby's a good bloke. :thumbs:

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.