Kevin Pearce back riding- awesome story

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
video

some history
On December 31, 2009, Pearce was critically injured during a halfpipe training run in Park City, Utah, suffering a serious traumatic brain injury, which led to a buildup of fluid in the brain. He suffered the injury after striking his head on the edge of the pipe. He was flown to the University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City where he was admitted in critical condition.[5] By January 6, 2010, Pearce had been upgraded from critical to serious condition; the breathing tube had been taken out, and he was able to respond to simple commands. His doctors were said to be "cautiously optimistic" regarding his chances for recovery.[6] On January 26, 2010, Kevin Pearce was transferred out of critical care at University of Utah hospital. An update provided by the Pearce family said Pearce is making steady progress and "his sense of humor and optimism are apparent as he begins his rehabilitation."[7] In early February, Pearce was moved from the University of Utah Medical Center to Craig Hospital in Denver, Colorado, a rehabilitation center that specializes in treating traumatic brain injuries.[8] By June, Pearce was back with family in Vermont.[9]

On August 23, 2010, Pearce and his mother were interviewed by Matt Lauer of the Today Show to discuss his experience and amazing recovery. Pearce said, "[family] played the biggest role in my recovery...I am lucky and excited to get back onto a snowboard." [10]

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
teckel said:
not uncommon to recover from a brain injury It happensevery day.
Yeah I did yesterday...

what a sweeping statement...

tecks my wife works in the rehab section of our local hospital.. she just had a massive chuckle when I read her your statement..

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
teckel said:
not uncommon to recover from a brain injury It happensevery day.

Just worth quoting.

Neurosurgeon Professor Jeffrey Rosenfeld said Meldrum was in a ‘‘deep coma’’ when he arrived at The Alfred last night, and a pressure monitor had been put in his brain.

‘We’re really concerned for his life, it’s a life-and-death matter,’’ Professor Rosenfeld, a world-leading neurosurgeon, said outside the hospital today.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/beds...l#ixzz1geHOqmWs

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Most TBIs are mild and do not cause permanent or long-term disability; however, all severity levels of TBI have the potential to cause significant, long-lasting disability.[98] Permanent disability is thought to occur in 10% of mild injuries, 66% of moderate injuries, and 100% of severe injuries.[99] Most mild TBI is completely resolved within three weeks, and almost all people with mild TBI are able to live independently and return to the jobs they had before the injury, although a portion have mild cognitive and social impairments.[72] Over 90% of people with moderate TBI are able to live independently, although a portion require assistance in areas such as physical abilities, employment, and financial managing.[72] Most people with severe closed head injury either die or recover enough to live independently; middle ground is less common.[2]
From Wiki
TBI = traumatic brain injury.

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
Most TBI's are mild, but when they are not...

teckel said:
Permanent disability is thought to occur in ... 66% of moderate injuries, and 100% of severe injuries.
From Wiki
TBI = traumatic brain injury.

In this case, it was not mild:

Donza said:
On December 31, 2009, Pearce was critically injured ... suffering a serious traumatic brain injury

No empathy for American snowboarders with serious TBI, Teckel?

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
damian said:
No empathy for American snowboarders with serious TBI, Teckel?
Now, just where did I suggest that?
confused.gif

Ok, I didn't know he was one of their top snowboarders, so didn't know it was newsworthy. A youtube link doesn't make something newsworthy. Ok, so it's good news he's OK, but I don't think it's an "awesome story".

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
All TBIs are serious, even the mild ones, but especially the moderate ones, whcih is obviously what this guy had.
I've had a family member with moderate TBI who made a full recovery. Had to be drilled through the head to have pressure relieved from the fluid/swelling brain. Been there, done that. It's horrendous for the family to go through a) not knowing if they'll live b) if they'll come out of the coma and c) if they'll end up with permanent brain damage. Bloody scary stuff. But it's still not an "awesome story" on the grander scale of things.

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
in 1985 an 8 year old boy was kicked in the head by a pony.
A depressed skull fratcure resulted in a piece of bone pressing on his brain.
He was operated on to remove the bone fragment and his skull & scalp put back together.
He was then placed in an induced coma for a week.
Brought out of the coma he was sent home a week after that.
The doctors told his family there were all kinds of possible repercussions, and that brain damage was almost a certainty.
He recovered, and on 24/07/2011 became the first Australian to win the Tour de France.
Cadel Evans is a legend.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Mr. Mook said:
in 1985 an 8 year old boy was kicked in the head by a pony.
A depressed skull fratcure resulted in a piece of bone pressing on his brain.
He was operated on to remove the bone fragment and his skull & scalp put back together.
He was then placed in an induced coma for a week.
Brought out of the coma he was sent home a week after that.
The doctors told his family there were all kinds of possible repercussions, and that brain damage was almost a certainty.
He recovered, and on 24/07/2011 became the first Australian to win the Tour de France.
Cadel Evans is a legend.

thumbsup.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using