Kiandra backcountry - snow kiting

FlyingDutchman

First Runs
Jul 23, 2009
Canberra ACT
If anyone is heading up Mt Selwyn way over the next few days/month, can you let me know how well covered the open Kiandra hills are. I plan to go up that way to do some snow kiting
cool.gif
, but it would be handy to know if that part of the country has had a decent drop of snow with a firm base before I head up there from Canberra.

I know Mr Selwyn is looking pretty good, but Kiandra might be different?

Last edited by a moderator:

silverwitch

Hard Yards
May 25, 2008
Canberra
Here you go from Saturday the 25th July. Pics from Kiandra area/hills- hope this helps!
julyski2004.jpg

julyski2007.jpg

julyski2008.jpg

julyski2010.jpg

julyski2005.jpg

FlyingDutchman

First Runs
Jul 23, 2009
Canberra ACT
Thanks Silverswitch. Nothing like a view visuals to get a picture (pardon the pun!) on depth. Very useful. I'm thinking of going up on Tues 28th. Hopefully there might be a bit more of a drop by then.

If anyone is of a mind to take some pics of this area before then and download to this thread that would great.

FlyingDutchman

First Runs
Jul 23, 2009
Canberra ACT
Well I wagged work yesterday and went up to Kiandra and as expected, the snow depth was ordinary. So my mate and I drove to Mt Selwyn and spoke to one of the locals who suggested we trek up to the top of Home Run poma and walk towards the plateau (about a kilometre away), which we found to be relatively open country. We had a ball snow kiting in that area.

We had to be careful with updrafts, as my mate got lofted a couple of times, but generally we had a great time. Looking forward to our next visit.

Thanks to those who posted photos and provided advice re Kiandra.

Regards

Paul

PS: How to do post photos?. Other websites I visit you can upload your photos directly from your hard disk?

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Dutchman - have you considered kiting in the relatively flat area between Thredbo - Seamans Hut and Charlotte Pass?

You need to upload your photos to a hosting site (like photobucket). Then post the image address inside the [IMG/] tabs.

rollyz

One of Us
Jun 2, 2005
my own little world
Snow Blowey said:
Dutchman - have you considered kiting in the relatively flat area between Thredbo - Seamans Hut and Charlotte Pass?

You need to upload your photos to a hosting site (like photobucket). Then post the image address inside the [IMG/] tabs.

And the Plains of Heaven 1700m near Daners Gap?

FlyingDutchman

First Runs
Jul 23, 2009
Canberra ACT
Snow Blowey said:

Thanks Snow Blowey. Yes, that area from Thredbo towards Seamans Hut is where we usually snow kite. In fact I went up last Saturday....initially to the area you suggested, but then we decided to go up behind Ramshead range which had a bit more soft snow cover. Unfortunately, the clouds came in and we were effectively in a white-out, so we high-tailed back to Thredbo Village. Then we checked the weather for Sunday and realised it was going to be even worse, so decided to head back to Canberra that evening. But the area above Thredbo in the backcountry is ideal for snow kiting....just need to pick the right time....good winds and relatively clear view of the countryside.

The reason we checked out Kiandra and Mt Selwyn was to see what alternatives were available....especially if you could park the car on the side of the road and launch the kite without ski lifts etc.

Re photos...will need to check out Photobucket. Thanks again for your advice.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass