1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Kids first time

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Giraffe, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

Our kids are 4 and 7. Planning on taking them skiing for the first time just after the July holidays. At the moment I'm tossing up between Baw Baw and Buller.

Obviously Baw Baw ends up a fair bit cheaper but is a lot smaller and I'm reading quite a few negative reviews.

I'm a novive skiier who hasn't been skiing for a few years. Last time I did though it was at Baw Baw where it was a bit of fun and I could handle all of the terrain comfortably.

Just wondering on the quality of the ski school and what to expect after a couple of days of lessons for the kids? Would they be able to handle a green run after that? And how do smaller kids go in T-bars? That's my main concern I guess.

Any feedback? Is Baw Baw ideal for first time child skiers or would we be better off at Buller?

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I would suggest bb as ideal for kids/ beginners, although t-bars and pomas take a bit of getting used to. Buller is a much bigger ski area with more varied terrain but it gets insanely busy esp w/e and holidays. Plus the main teaching/learning area at Buller is so busy it's dangerous. Hopefully team at bb will have their act together for school hols.

Giraffe likes this.
  3. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Baw Baw is great with beginner kids, as can be Buller.

Don’t forget hand warmers and an extra set of gloves and snacks and drinks.

Giraffe likes this.
  4. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Agree with @chriscross. Definitely Baw Baw for beginners. Far more affordable. Far more friendly in part because it's a lot smaller. And despite its size, it has everything a family of beginners/intermediates need.

Giraffe and Chaeron like this.
  5. Chaeron

If you can get your rentals off mountain to reduce the waiting around with little kids on the snow its a good idea. Can be a bit more exxy, but need not be.

That way the kids also get to try on the gear and get used to it.

Giraffe likes this.
  6. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

Thanks for the advice- Thankfully we'll be going midweek the week school goes back for Victoria. We're in Vic visiting family so thought we'd hit the Victorian slopes after school goes back rather than the NSW ones and battle the holiday crowd!

Glad to know Baw Baw will suit our needs!

Chaeron likes this.
  7. Chaeron

8. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

Thanks for that! Any advice on where to get rentals off-mountain?

9. Chaeron

Bumps in Elsternwick, or EMC in Deepdene (Canterbury) or Ajays (EMC sister shop) in Heathmont.

For XC ski hire near Lake Mountain- Mystic Mountains Ski Hire in Narbethong.

Don’t forget snow chains!

Giraffe likes this.
  10. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'm not sure if Baw Baw is that much cheaper @Giraffe. Resort entry, chain hire, ski hire, ski lessons and food are all similar. Lift tickets is the main difference and even then 4 year olds are free.
    Discounted tickets are still available online for the 18/7 at $79 for adults and $44 for kids, great price!

Also if as stated you can go up midweek after the Vic school holidays then for me it's a no brainer, go to Buller. 2 x 6 seater beginner chairlifts and a quad chair service the beginner slopes covered in much more reliable snow cover than Baw Baw. Crowds will not be a problem midweek at Buller outside school holidays. In fact I have taken advantage of skiing in NSW during the first week of the Vic holidays the last two seasons to avoid the higher costs and crowds.

Also from previous experience I run near a 0% success rate at getting first timers addicted to skiing at Baw Baw and 100% at Buller, there is a reason for that.

Yes your kids will have fun at Baw Baw, but Buller will blow them away, lets face facts, if Baw Baw isn't considerably cheaper why would you bother?

Edit: If your lucky you won't even have to hire chains as Buller often has no chains required days. Check online the night before for next day requirements.

#10 Onlybackscratchers, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Chaeron likes this.
  11. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

By my reckoning, Baw Baw will still work out cheaper:
    Lift passes at Baw Baw are $35 for adults on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, compared to $92 at Buller for the 16th July week. For lessons only, Baw Baw is actually the most expensive for adults, at $90 vs $87 at Buller (compared to $71 at Falls/Hotham)
    For the 7YO, Baw Baw offer lift passes at $30 as an add-on to their lesson cost - but at Buller *apparently* you can book a lesson only for a 7-14 year old for $58 - but when I tried to confirm this on the online booking system, it only offered the full day lesson option. Alternatively, there is a lift + afternoon lesson package offered for $110 per day for both the 4 yo and 7yo. If you want lessons in the morning, this goes up to $147.
    For half-day packages for the 4yo, Buller is $110 per day (as above) vs $85 per day at Baw Baw. Going full day, this becomes $182 vs $130 - both offers include lunch.

Based on going to the snow Tues-Wed-Thurs, the cost of lift passes for all, 1 lesson each for the parents and half-day lessons for the kids (afternoon at Buller) is around $1,372 at Buller and $1,055 at Baw Baw.

Going to full days for the kids, this is $1,802 at Buller and $1,270 at Baw Baw.

Giraffe likes this.
  12. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

Thanks - the one main expense that you've forgot to compare is accomodation between the two - cheapest at Buller I could find was $550 a night compared to the $210 for Baw Baw. That's $340 a day cheaper there and then with the other differences in lessons, hire, lift tickets etc that's another $150 a day. So all up closer to $1000 Cheaper at Baw Baw....

I know Buller is better and if they were better skiers I'd be happier paying it but trying to save where I can. And if I don't show them a good mountain now they won't get used to it and expect it all the time

13. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

And then there's accomodation! And my inexpensive original plan of a day trip to Corin Forest (tiny snowfield near Canberra) has blown up to where I might As well have flown to NZ for a week skiing there!

14. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I wasn't sure what the plan was for accommodation. Check out https://mountbawbaw.com.au/yourmidweeklift - Baw Baw has a 3 nights for the price of 2 offer.

I don't have skin in either game - I'm actually headed to Buller at the end of August, and have yet to make it to Baw Baw (although I would like to, for the sake of it if nothing else). I just have a habit of trawling the resort websites looking for cheapskate options.

Giraffe likes this.
  15. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I have made and incorrect assumption you were considering a day trip. I stand by my above comments in regards to Buller as midweek day trip out of school holidays. However staying overnight does change the game, Baw Baw budget lodge options win hands down.

Really the only thing to worry about is Baw Baw's snow reliability. Bookings for that week shouldn't be high and I would delay booking as long as possible, it's not great value if there's little to ski on.

nezumi likes this.
  16. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There is good quality ski/gear hire at Neerim South (on the left heading up) if you choose the bb option. Best to take some chains as well. BB ski hire on mountain is ok but can get very busy on w/e. When there is sufficient snow, the flashpacker rooms above the pub provide very economical ski in/ski out accommodation. But this may not suit all, depending on size of party. Can be noisy, as above hotel but ok midweek. Hope you have a good trip, wherever you end up.

Giraffe and Chaeron like this.
  17. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

All of my kids learnt to ski at baw baw. Best thing was the addition of the big hill carpet last year which should be running by the time you get there.

The guys and gals in ski school are great...my daughter loves Stef...and in her 3rd year on mountain still says hi to her whenever she skis by.

I would add pick accomodation on mountain wisely as most likely you will be walking to the beginner ski area in the bowl so $40 each way on oversnow to get baggage to the lodges closer to that area could be worth it.

Giraffe likes this.
  18. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

Thanks for that! Hadn't spotted that promo - might mean another day on the slopes for us! Though the website seems not to actually let you book it....I'll have to give them a call

nezumi likes this.
  19. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

Yeah currently keeping an eye on the availability for our dates and it's pretty free at the moment. Hopefully the snow keeps falling like the past few days and it gets some good cover

Onlybackscratchers likes this.
  20. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

Thanks for that - Flashpackers is out as they won't take under 18's.

Thanks for the heads up on the hire at Neerim South - we'll take advantage of that. Better prices than on mountain and looks like they throw in free chains too :)

21. Giraffe

Giraffe Early Days

Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it and feeling a bit more confident about our choice now!

Did you do full of 1/2 days with ski school? Thinking about 2 half days and 1 full day for the 7yo but just half days for the 4yo...

22. Pink

Pink One of Us

If it’s the kids’ first time to the snow, then definitely schedule in some downtime for making snowmen, snow angels, igloos, snowball fights... all the good stuff that childhood is made for! Enjoy!

23. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

We normally do 1 hr private lessons for the kids rather then full day groups, just depends how they cope with the fun and conditions.