Kids skis & boots, 11 & 6yr Old

SnowflakesRule

Hard Yards
May 1, 2017
Couple of quick questions.

Heading back to Canada for a month next season and looking for a little advice from the more experienced parent skier.

Child 1 needs new boots and skis. She'll be 11 by the time we go and is currently 143cm tall with foot measurement of 23.5cm. Last year she was regularly skiing blues in her lessons and with her dad (did Cruz the Blues at Big White), and had even had a taste of a Black and she's sure to be looking for more this time.

Currently looking at this package from Level Nine:

https://www.levelninesports.com/volkl-wall-complete-children-s-ski-package

We've had the Roces boots before (no complaints at all) and she's been skiing on Elan Petite twin tip 115cm skis for the last two trips so we don't want to pull her back from the twin tips. My only concern is how advanced can the kid be with the Roces boots before they will be more a problem than a help?

Child 2 needs new skis but not necessarily new boots. He'll be 6 by then and currently 115cm tall and 18cm foot measurement. We've got the 19-22 Roces he could go in, but he doesn't quite measure up to them, just by a cm! We've still got a few months to go so who knows how much he's feet will grow by then.
What I would like to know is how big an impact will that 1cm make on him? He was skiing on his own, mostly, last time. Actually made it top to bottom all on his own, doing Serwas to hummingbird chair (with Dad skiing backwards in front of him to guide his turns).

Also, to twin tip or not for him? I'm leaning toward not, only because he's most likely going to focus on how fast he can go but given both big sister and Dad ski backwards, he might decide to try it anyway?

Thanks in advance.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Never too early to learn to ski backwards. Can only be done with good basic stance and edge skils.

Reactions: SnowflakesRule

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
On the older child, I read advice recently to the effect that once your child was using poles the Roces boots could hinder development. Based on that advice I'd say the package is great but maybe get more traditional boots in the right size instead of the Roces.

On the younger child no one really knows how much their feet will grow in 6 months but if I was a betting man I'd be betting his feet will be the right size for the Roces by then, or so close it won't matter. He'd surely be no more than a half size out by then?

Finally unless you're planning on racing I think the most important thing is the kids are having fun and learning good technique. I don't think it matters whether they've got twin tips or not.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Couple of quick questions.

Heading back to Canada for a month next season and looking for a little advice from the more experienced parent skier.

Child 1 needs new boots and skis. She'll be 11 by the time we go and is currently 143cm tall with foot measurement of 23.5cm. Last year she was regularly skiing blues in her lessons and with her dad (did Cruz the Blues at Big White), and had even had a taste of a Black and she's sure to be looking for more this time.

Currently looking at this package from Level Nine:

https://www.levelninesports.com/volkl-wall-complete-children-s-ski-package

We've had the Roces boots before (no complaints at all) and she's been skiing on Elan Petite twin tip 115cm skis for the last two trips so we don't want to pull her back from the twin tips. My only concern is how advanced can the kid be with the Roces boots before they will be more a problem than a help?

Child 2 needs new skis but not necessarily new boots. He'll be 6 by then and currently 115cm tall and 18cm foot measurement. We've got the 19-22 Roces he could go in, but he doesn't quite measure up to them, just by a cm! We've still got a few months to go so who knows how much he's feet will grow by then.
What I would like to know is how big an impact will that 1cm make on him? He was skiing on his own, mostly, last time. Actually made it top to bottom all on his own, doing Serwas to hummingbird chair (with Dad skiing backwards in front of him to guide his turns).

Also, to twin tip or not for him? I'm leaning toward not, only because he's most likely going to focus on how fast he can go but given both big sister and Dad ski backwards, he might decide to try it anyway?

Thanks in advance.
115cm skis for a kid 143cm is extremely short.

Twin tips for the 6 year old? Wouldn't even begin to be a consideration for me.

SnowflakesRule

Hard Yards
May 1, 2017
115cm skis for a kid 143cm is extremely short.

Twin tips for the 6 year old? Wouldn't even begin to be a consideration for me.

Sorry, she was on 115cm last time which was Feb 2016. They lasted two trips but definitely can't stretch them another season unfortunately. Might yet hand down to younger brother another trip, if we can sort out how to turn the top from pink to something slightly more acceptable to the young boy!

Re: twin tips, mainly considering because one little boy is an exceptional copier! He loves to try and do whatever his sister and dad are doing. She's a figure skater and he tries to do her off-ice jumps! Dad does martial arts so he'll try and copy that too including with toy swords.

@Annabuzzy Thanks for the advice re boots, will keep it in mind. Really hoping to just use our current Roces with him so we don't have to buy a pair just for this season.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Sorry, she was on 115cm last time which was Feb 2016. They lasted two trips but definitely can't stretch them another season unfortunately. Might yet hand down to younger brother another trip, if we can sort out how to turn the top from pink to something slightly more acceptable to the young boy!

Re: twin tips, mainly considering because one little boy is an exceptional copier! He loves to try and do whatever his sister and dad are doing. She's a figure skater and he tries to do her off-ice jumps! Dad does martial arts so he'll try and copy that too including with toy swords.

@Annabuzzy Thanks for the advice re boots, will keep it in mind. Really hoping to just use our current Roces with him so we don't have to buy a pair just for this season.
I think they'd be fine for the younger child, but (maybe, based on advice I received/saw) not for the older one.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
On the older child, I read advice recently to the effect that once your child was using poles the Roces boots could hinder development. Based on that advice I'd say the package is great but maybe get more traditional boots in the right size instead of the Roces.

On the younger child no one really knows how much their feet will grow in 6 months but if I was a betting man I'd be betting his feet will be the right size for the Roces by then, or so close it won't matter. He'd surely be no more than a half size out by then?

Finally unless you're planning on racing I think the most important thing is the kids are having fun and learning good technique. I don't think it matters whether they've got twin tips or not.
My 9 yo has been using the Roces for about 4 years and they don't seem to be holding her back any, but she only skis a couple of weeks a year. Can you point to a link about the Roces hindering development? Just interested to see what the story is.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
It was in a thread here but I can't remember which one.

It bothered me enough I went and bought some more conventional boots for my little one.

There may be nothing in it, but I did notice that none of the kids in the various non racing development programs were using them. I figured if they were as good as standard boots at least a couple of kids would be on them, but no. None that I could see.

SnowflakesRule

Hard Yards
May 1, 2017
It's a tricky one re boots for older child. We tend to only go every couple of years but we go for a month so there's plenty of time to improve. We go for the fun of skiing with each other and the snow so I'm not sure she'd advance enough (probably looking at about 10-12 group lessons over the month) for it to be an issue with the Roces but I'll look into it a little more.

On that note, if we were to buy her normal boots is there anything in particular to look at for kids boots online when buying or with kids is it still more just about the length as there's not that much to the rest of them at that age?

Thanks for all the responses.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SnowflakesRule

Hard Yards
May 1, 2017
Just noticed the 2017 model of the Roces with the larger sizes now have a power strap. Would that make a difference to how well they would go with the more advanced younger skier?

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
I've got two kids, girl 11yrs and boy 8 yrs. Both have been skiing every year since they were 2 and 3 years old. Girl confidently skis blacks and touching on double blacks, boy confidently skis blues, touching on blacks.

Both of them have Roces ski boots and standard skis, although I have just purchased a pair of twin tips for my daughter's xmas gift. I have thought about adding a power strap to my girl's boots to provide extra support around the top. I remember in my early days of skiing in rear entry boots(some 30 years ago) I added a power strap and it made a big difference.

SnowflakesRule

Hard Yards
May 1, 2017
@Born2ski Thanks. That's great to know. I can't see her hitting double blacks yet so that gives me more confidence in the Roces. Being a figure skater, I think that might be a risk we aren't willing to take - though I won't put bets on that. She just hates the recovery and rebuilding time from injury to get back to were she had been.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
@Born2ski Thanks. That's great to know. I can't see her hitting double blacks yet so that gives me more confidence in the Roces. Being a figure skater, I think that might be a risk we aren't willing to take - though I won't put bets on that. She just hates the recovery and rebuilding time from injury to get back to were she had been.
My 10 year old girl has those Roces. Not a bad boot.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure annabuzzy is referring to my previous comments on the Roces.

My daughter is 11 and skis blues plus blacks, she is level 7 / 8 and generally skis out of Thredbo. I should add she skis all of Thredbo without issue.

I have loved the Roces and my 4 year old son is also on them but like everything they have limitations. The boot is very upright in comparison to similar boots for kids and therefore keeps kids in a more upright ski position.

Whilst this isnt a major issue at lower levels, we found once she hit level six the boots weren't supporting the forward weighting lean as well. I retro fit a set of power straps and that helped for a season. She is now on soft ladies boots and really starting to forward lean well.

Personally I would say once kids are really using stocks to get forward, skis staying parallel and starting to carve id be looking at more forward leaning boots.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Twin tips are not 'required' to be able to ski backward, although they are preferred. I skied for backwards for years on flat tails before i skied twin tips.
If you really look at flat tail skis, you'll notice a slight curve upwards at the ends, this is all you need on piste.

SnowflakesRule

Hard Yards
May 1, 2017
Twin tips are not 'required' to be able to ski backward, although they are preferred. I skied for backwards for years on flat tails before i skied twin tips.
If you really look at flat tail skis, you'll notice a slight curve upwards at the ends, this is all you need on piste.

Yep, hubby has proven that when he decided to try skiing backwards a number of years ago (12+) before he got twin tips. I don't think he knew you weren't supposed to be able to and he got weird looks from my brother!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll keep it all in mind and will be shopping soon, I hope! Only 99 days til wheels up!

Reactions: Dave6
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass