1. Use the Force Filters Luke Guest!

Skis     Snowboard     Telemark     Clothing     Boots     Bindings     Accessories     Roof Racks     Chains     Outdoor Gear     Wanted     Free     Sold

Wanted Kids Skis

Discussion in 'Gear Swap' started by Kieran, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

I'm looking for 1 or 2 pairs of kids skis, roughly 100-120cm, with or without bindings, in any condition (the worse the better in some ways).

Canberra would work best for me, but Sydney could potentially work too.

K

2. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

I've got a pair of 90cm skis with bindings you can have, but I'm in Brisbane so cost about $15 to ship to Sydney or Canberra. Have boots as well, 19.5 mondo.

3. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hey @Kieran - No one was interested in mine when I posted it last time (so I assume there are still downstairs) so as long as you were willing to cover postage could be an option?

http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/brisbane-dynastar-110s-with-boots-and-poles.70834/

Hey @Born2ski - where the hell you getting $15 to ship some skis to Sydney? I just sent a Bday package to Perth and it was $15 with Austpost and it was like a couple of shirts so I dread to think what they would want for a set of skis/bindings :eek: (I have had a few issues with Austpost lately and costs etc.)

4. Born2ski

@Scooter Cost me under $15 last time to send a pair of kids skis(80cm) and boots to Sydney. Used this courier service, they even pick it up at your door, or you can save 15% and take it to their depot.

http://www.e-go.com.au/home.do

5. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

6. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hey @Born2ski - what you gonna send? Want me to drop my skis and poles off and you can send it together?

How did you package up the skis you sent previously? I was just thinking 2 skis locked together, stocks as well and duct tape top and tail etc.

7. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

Don't go overboard on protecting them, honestly.

BTW, you guys rock. If we're ever in the same city, beers are on me.

8. Born2ski

Yeah if Kieran wants both pairs we could probably send them together. The ones I've got were from you anyway.

Last time I wrapped them in bubble wrap and then put them in a box I had from when I last gave the wife some long stem roses. Not sure if I have any more of those type of boxes lying around.

9. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hey @Born2ski

ROFL Too funny. I thought you had already gotten rid of that smaller pair I gave you ages ago (I remembered seeing a thread about it)?

But yeah if you are gonna send anything I will get what I have to you and then Kieran will just owe you the beers :D

10. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

Both pairs would be great. Happy to chip in beer funds, or funds for long-stemmed roses, if it'll help the cause.

11. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

out of interest Kieran - what you planning to do with them (was curious given that condition comment)?

12. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

I'm going to convert them to a pattern base XC ski, ala
    http://www.outsideways.com/article/backcountry-skiing-kids-budget

There are plenty of wide, pattern-based, single camber, metal edged touring skis available for adults, but once you look at kids skis it's all narrow, no metal edges, double camber XC noodles. Coz we all want to teach our kids to ski on the hardest ski possible, right?

So I'm going to put a fishscale pattern into the base and put some XC 3 pin bindings on. Yes, they'll be heavier than optimal for kids XC skis, but they should be easier to control and more fun.

And that's important, right?

#12 Kieran, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    tele-whippet and Dave6 like this.
  13. CIRCA1962

CIRCA1962 Active Member

The Green Shed at the Mitchell Recycling Centre, has lots of old straight skis on its racks. You may find a suitable pair or two out there.

14. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

I gave them a ring, but no go. Hence the post here.

15. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Got a quote from them recently for a pair of ski boots from Melbourne to Newcastle, $16.16 from depot to depot.

16. Kieran

Kieran Addicted Member

So here's how the first set turned out. Unfortunately this isn't either of the sets of skis from Scooter or B2S (they'll be the next project) but a pair of ex-rental kids skis. Bindings cost US$10, paired with a pair of US$44 3 pin boots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They'll get a run just after Xmas in Myoko. Will be fascinated to see how they go. I'm expecting them to be slow, but the lack of camber might help them grip in the snow and they should be fun for noodling around on.

#16 Kieran, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    almontyrat and Born2ski like this.
  17. art

art Active Member

hey @Kieran how did this experiment work out?
    Im thinking of doing similar..... if i can find some suitable skis
    Im a little worried that downhill skis tend to be heavy.

Also interested in thoughts on suitable length of ski for kids. Im guessing best to go for something close to downhill ski sizing like this
    https://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-choose-youth-skis-and-size-chart

Chaeron likes this.