1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

KIDS SNOW FEST & JNR RACES 2010 - NOW Sat 28th/Sun 29th August

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by Edelweiss, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Planning is well under way for the 4th Kids SNOW FEST, once again combined with the junior races over one big weekend.

The Junior Races will be held on Sat 14th August with registration at 9am at the Felix Race Hut, aiming for a 10am start. Free entry! Trophies will be presented at NTAC at 5pm.

Rovers are hosting a "SNOWLIGHT DISCO" for the kids Saturday night from 7.00pm - 8.30pm. Gold coin donation for entry will be donated to Ski Patrol. Chips and cordial for the children will be available for sale. Parents must be in attendance on level 1 - BYO drinks.

From 9pm there will be an Adults Fancy Dress Party with a live band at the Creek Inn Saturday night. Those who do not attend in fancy dress (nb: ski gear is not fancy dress!) will be fined a $5 entry fee to be donated to Ski Patrol. Dinner will also be available at Creek Inn Sat night but only by pre-booking on 6390 6199.

And for those 16 years and over....finally!....the Dash 4 Cash and Chinese Downhill are back!!! (last held in 1992!)...both being held on Saturday 15th August. Entry fee is $5 per race. (All proceeds going to Ski Patrol.) Register at Ski Patrol at 11am Saturday. The Dash 4 Cash will be held at 12noon and the Chinese Downhill will be held at 4pm. $100 prize money to each winning male/female skier/snowboarder in each race. These cash prizes have been kindly donated by Michael & Sandra Crisp; Tim Lewis; Gowans Toyota; Alpine Enterprises; Cape Country Upholstery; Bruce Cutts; Stam family; Tasmanian Skiing Heritage (collecting your old ski heritage items and stories now! Contact Ken via tasmanianskiingheritage@yahoo.com.au). The fastest male and female for the Chinese Downhill only (whether it be skier or boarder) will each be awarded a perpetual trophy to be known as the Gerry Stam Trophy, kindly donated by his family.

The Kids SNOW FEST will be held on Sunday 15th August. Children must be in fancy dress to be eligible for prizes which will be drawn by lucky draw so every child has an equal chance to win. Entry is $2 per child. There will also be a small obstacle course for childrens enjoyment (weather permitting). Fancy dress prize draw will be held at 2pm outside Ski Patrol, followed by a lolly scramble. Sausage sizzle and soft drinks will be available for $1 each. All proceeds will be donated to Ski Patrol. The major prizes are a 2011 Season Pass (kindly donated by Alpine Enterprises); a 2011 All Parks National Parks Pass (kindly donated by Parks & Wildlife); and a toboggan (kindly donated by Launceston Sport & Surf).

Now lets pray for snow....and a sunny day. Surely we must be due for a good season and good weather that weekend after 2 major duds!!! If the weather is atrocious, we will run the races on the day with the best weather to avoid children getting hypothermia. Stay tuned to the snow report on SeaFM if in doubt.

If you can help with sponsorship (whether it be cash or prizes), please contact Ali at swampy@southcom.com.au All sponsors will be listed on posters and announced on the day.

See you up there!!!

Nb: Chain hire and sales available from Autobarn, 11 Innes St., Launceston. Ph: 6334 5601

#1 Edelweiss, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  2. DownhillDinosaur

DownhillDinosaur First Runs

Re: KIDS SNOW FEST & JNR RACES 2010 - Sat 14th/Sun 15th August

Autobarn have moved to 11 Innes Street in Launceston. They are located down near K-Mart & Gunns Mitre 10. Their new phone number is 63345601.

3. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Thanks Dino!

4. DownhillDinosaur

DownhillDinosaur First Runs

My Pleasure [​IMG]

#4 DownhillDinosaur, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. gnome_napper

gnome_napper First Runs

I CAN'T WAIT!!!
    I hope we get some more snow soon!!

6. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Hi everyone, Ali here. Finally its looking like we might have a chance to go ahead with the Snow Fest and Races. I'll make a call mid week but at this point I'm leaning toward (if the snow comes through as we hope) holding it the weekend of 21st/22nd August so that the kids hopefully get a chance to have a ski before race day. At this point we also have the option of transferring it to the weekend of 28th/29th August. If it doesn't happen any of these 3 weekends, we'll cancel until 2011. Any thoughts?

7. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Hi, Unfortunately at this stage we have no option to postpone as I don't think water skiing is an option!!! If it does snow today, my source tells me it will be followed by more rain!!! So we'll see what the weather brings in the next two weeks. As mentioned before, we may be able to transfer to either of the following two weekends if that megadump comes through! Cheers!

8. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Hi again, the latest "predictions" for snow are rain Wednesday, with snow late Thursday and Friday morning. There's a good chance it won't be enough to kick things off this weekend but good snow falls are predicted for next week. Cross fingers that all events can go ahead on 28/29th August. Stay tuned.....

9. BenLomond Iceman

BenLomond Iceman One of Us

Come on huey get your Sh*t together & send down some POW so we can have kidsfest you slack Pr*ck. [​IMG]

#9 BenLomond Iceman, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  10. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Hi everyone,

I've spoken to Erryl tonight and he tells me we have 15cms of fresh snow today plus more on the way. Thanks to those guys up there at the weekend in their undies and singlets doing the snow dance at the bottom of Bass - it must have worked!!! So now I can confirm that the Snow Fest will be held on Sunday. The Dash 4 Cash & Chinese Downhill will go ahead on Saturday; the kids disco Saturday night at Rovers and the fancy dress party at the Creek Inn Saturday night with a live band - "The Titz!!!" (Don't forget, if you want to go to the Creek Inn for dinner Saturday night, to avoid disappointment please phone and book in first).

Tomorrow evening I will be able to confirm whether the junior races will be held on Saturday or not.

As this is the first weekend a lot of us will have skied this year (me included), any offers of help on the bbq would be much appreciated so that other volunteer helpers can also get a ski in.

Also, if anyone is able to bring along a PA system of some sort, please let me know. It really adds to the atmosphere to have music blasting out over the slopes. (My usual supplier is in Falls at the moment.)

So dig out yours and the kids fancy dress gear and everyone get up there! The weather predicted for the weekend should be great!

Cheers,
    Ali

11. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Wow, just read doomechanics comment on snow reports - Eryl says best cover since 2004. Thats gotta be good!!!

So, its finally all sorted. The Kids SNOW FEST, Dash 4 Cash, Chinese Downhill, Kids disco at Rovers, adults fancy dress party with "The Titz" playing at Creek Inn in the evening, all going ahead on Saturday. (Remember to phone ahead if you would like to eat at the Creek Inn Saturday night).

The junior races and prize giving at NTAC will all be going ahead on Sunday.

Still hoping someone will tell me they have a PA system!!! and any offers of help on the bbq Saturday lunch time would be much appreciated so that other volunteer helpers can also get a ski in.

Volunteers will also be required on Sunday to man gates etc.

McDermotts will be running a bus service from Launceston to Ben Lomond but you will need to book in before 3pm tomorrow if you plan to travel from Launceston with them. The shuttle bus will also be running this weekend only. Phone 6394 3535 for bus details.

The weather forecast for the weekend is still magnificent! Should be a great weekend.

Please support the mountain businesses who have all done it pretty tough this year.

Looking forward to seeing you all up there in your fancy dress. Cheers, Ali

12. Tassie Tiger

Tassie Tiger Hard Yards

Awesome day - The kids had a ball - Thanks to Ali and crew for organising it !!!!

13. Legges Tor

Legges Tor Hard Yards

Hi Ali, Bass and Simon
    From what I hear everyone had a wonderful time, well done in getting it all together at such short notice. I am just sorry I couldn't be there to help, many thanks Tim

14. BenLomond Iceman

BenLomond Iceman One of Us

Thanks to Ali & steve & all the main organisers it was a great days for everyone especially the kids who had lots of fun.. Great to have a nice day for it for a change hopefully we can get a pre-season before next years one so we can make it bigger & better!

15. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your support guys! I think everyone agreed it was a brilliant weekend made perfect with great weather and a good dump of snow.

We had a successful return of the adults Dash 4 Cash and Chinese Downhill. Nick Hubbard (Rovers) won both the snowboarding Dash 4 Cash and Chinese Downhill; Will Gordon (Toorbunna) won both the mens skiing Dash 4 Cash and Chinese Downhill; Charlene Best (Kunama) won both the womens Dash 4 Cash and Chinese Downhill. What a shame we didn't have any female snowboarders to take out the $100 cash prizes. The $100 cash prizes were kindly donated by Michael & Sandra Crisp; Tim Lewis; Gowans Toyota; Alpine Enterprises; Cape Country Upholstery; Bruce Cutts; Stam family (Bosta Constructions); Tasmanian Skiing Heritage (collecting your old ski heritage items and stories now! Contact Ken via tasmanianskiingheritage@yahoo.com.au). Will & Charlene were also awarded trophies in memory of Gerry Stam for the fastest times in the Chinese Downhill.

The kids disco at Rovers went well once we co-erced the kids off the couch! My calf muscles are only just recovering now! Thanks to Rovers, and also for the bbq and sausages! Thanks to Steve & Brendan for cooking all the snags and those who helped out selling them. Much appreciated!

The pyrotechnics at the Creek Inn on Saturday night had to be seen to be believed!!! The Creek Inn rocked once again!

Thanks also to Simon Lawrence & Bass Burgess who organised the Kids Junior Races on Sunday at such short notice and their helpers, Dianna, Will Gordon, David Atkins, Jill Jak, Steve Eiler . I think they are the only ones who truly understand how much preparation and time goes into organising races. Thanks also to NTAC for supplying the food and venue for the prize presentation for the races.

I would like to thank all of the Snow Fest sponsors who provide the great prizes : Alpine Enterprises; Parks & Wildlife Service; Autobarn: ANZ Bank (Dvpt); Tas Rovers Ski Club; Ben Lomond Snow Sports; Kunama Ski Club & KK's; Pitt & Sherry (Dvpt); Launceston Sport & Surf; Beach Beat; Canoe 'n' Surf: Brennen Family - Toorbunna; Midland Tractors (John Deere); Creek Inn; Chickenfeed: Birchalls: B & E: Leedon Stationary & Toys; Allgoods; Winkler family - Kunama; Mountain Design. Thanks also to the Kunama crew helping me pull it together on the day - I couldn't have done it without you!

The proceeds of the weekend will be divided between Ski Patrol and the Junior Races.

Hopefully you'll all get a bit more skiing in before the season is over ... but you'd better be quick by the sounds of it!

Cheers,
    Ali

16. Edelweiss

Edelweiss First Runs

Anyone got some pics of the weekend or chinese downhill etc they can upload?

17. Legges Tor

Legges Tor Hard Yards

#17 Legges Tor, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  18. Bulldozer

Bulldozer First Runs

Hi All
    The Junior Race Team have asked me to confirm with you all that the 2011 Junior Races scheduled for this Saturday the 13th of August have been postponed till further notice
    BD