Question Konbini chatter

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
For anyone that has travelled to Japan, the local konbini is a way of life for millions of locals and tourists alike.

uN7sFWu.jpg

Everyone might have they favourite store (Lawson, Family Mart, 7-11, etc), but I thought I would set this thread up to discuss the wonderful items you can get at your konbini. Each trip I usually try a few new things, but I usually have my staples for each meal.

Hoping people can discuss what they like, found interesting, hated, or otherwise so others can give some new things a whirl on their upcoming trip.

Some of my favourites:

1. Ice coffee - called Triplesso. Only available at Lawson’s from memory, but proper strength coffee and not overly sweet. My go-to when I can find it.
4H6p0sV.jpg

2. Fried chicken. Again, Lawson’s is pretty damn hard to beat. Think KFC chicken but better. Can be sickly filled with oil though, but so worth it. Most places will have a front hot box with fried goodness.
gOuZDK0.jpg

I will add more as I think of them...

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I often buy two onigiris = rice balls at 7-11, Lawson or Familymart before skiing. Salmon roe and tuna onigiri are always my favorite. All major convinis have both salmon roe and tuna onigiris. Two onigiris are "first lunch" when skiing. I mean, between 11am and 1pm, restaurants on ski slopes tend to be very crowded, so I eat two rice balls on lifts at 11am and have late lunch at a restaurant on a ski slope at 2pm. You need this kind of "Haramaki". I mean, if onigiri is iced, it's not yummy at all. So you need to keep warming onigiri with your belly;)
img56667111.gif

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Umm the maple syrup infused pancakes... The best.
Just nuke for 20sec.
My daughter loves the corn dogs.
These.. The perfect boiled egg.
Screenshot_2017-12-30-15-55-22-77.png

I love the soft boiled egg. I like oden egg too. Major conbinis sell oden in winter time and I like oden egg. You'll see this during winter. This is Oden. Oden egg is about 90 Yen at major conbinis. About Oden: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oden
5426a0ad9c6b64250e27b8640024a9f7.jpg

Reactions: Donza

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
At Lawsons, they have the regular onigiri (the very triangular ones where you rip the middle, and pull the ends to apply the nori (seaweed) to the rice ball), but they also have smoked salmon ones in rectangular wrapper that are delicious.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I also like 100 yen shops..........................................

I'm off to use my Banana slicer

Reactions: skichanger

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
At Lawsons, they have the regular onigiri (the very triangular ones where you rip the middle, and pull the ends to apply the nori (seaweed) to the rice ball), but they also have smoked salmon ones in rectangular wrapper that are delicious.

I agree. The rectangular ones are more expensive, but most people on this forum fly all the way to Japan from Australia, so they should choose better ones = rectangular ones at Lawson even though they are 30 - 50 yen more expensive than triangular ones;).

These are the rectangular ones = more expensive but more delicious.
5eef5ad6d8c280b3854b209002663363.jpg

Triangular ones = cheaper ones
image-23.png

Melskius

One of Us
Aug 2, 2015
The pancakes with the butter and maple syrup sandwiched between them from 7-11. A fantastic breaky on the go.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
I agree. The rectangular ones are more expensive, but most people on this forum fly all the way to Japan from Australia, so they should choose better ones = rectangular ones at Lawson even though they are 30 - 50 yen more expensive than triangular ones;).

image-23.png
Yes, I splurge a bit on the rectangular premium ones
dy0cqGe.jpg

Reactions: Hyst and Ramenman

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

image-23.png
Yes, I splurge a bit on the rectangular premium ones
dy0cqGe.jpg
Yes, this one:
RIMG0907.JPG

This one:
katemita-lawson-onigiri-sake-ikura-01-2017-10-11.jpg

And the best:
sake-harami-onigiri.jpg

Reactions: Hyst

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Umm the maple syrup infused pancakes... The best.
Just nuke for 20sec.
My daughter loves the corn dogs.
These.. The perfect boiled egg.
Screenshot_2017-12-30-15-55-22-77.png
You'll be interested to note that when you posted about these puppies a couple months back I took notes and saved the picture to assist me when next in japow.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
For the last couple of japow trips (with car) my daughter and I have done serious conbini consumer comparisons. We voted 7-11 to have the best onigiri

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I'm very partial to the pizza/beef/vegetarian bow that are usually in the hot cabinet next to the KFC. So tasty!

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
One trick I got told by a seasoned Japan goer was to buy one of those pizza wraps (usually on the fridge shelf next to the ham and cheese wraps), then take it to the counter where the attendant will heat it up for you. Next, buy a piece of fried chicken and insert into the pizza wrap...bingo, best cure for a hangover.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
One trick I got told by a seasoned Japan goer was to buy one of those pizza wraps (usually on the fridge shelf next to the ham and cheese wraps), then take it to the counter where the attendant will heat it up for you. Next, buy a piece of fried chicken and insert into the pizza wrap...bingo, best cure for a hangover.
Could do with one of those now please:D

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
This is what the pizza wrap looks like
oYgBtAz.jpg

Reactions: nfip and Donza

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
My daughter loves the UFO Yakisoba. It's like cuppa noodles, but it's not soup. You can get hot water at the conbini, she fills it, waits 4-5 min, then drain it out of the car door!!! Then adds the sauce.
UFO-Yakisoba-Conbini.com-..jpg
Our kids have liked to throw in a piece of fried chicken as well at the end after water is removed, then sauce and mix.

Reactions: HoopDogg

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia

Now THAT, is how to cook without doing the hard work! :whistle:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Oh my God!
They’ve set up a crepe van next to Elvis Kebabs in Hirafu this season. 2 nights in a row it’s been a drunken Strawberry and Cream Crepe on the way home from the pub....
Must. Stop. That. Behaviour.
(Never got into the Ichigo Sand though)

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
My daughter loves the UFO Yakisoba. It's like cuppa noodles, but it's not soup. You can get hot water at the conbini, she fills it, waits 4-5 min, then drain it out of the car door!!! Then adds the sauce.
UFO-Yakisoba-Conbini.com-..jpg

The Japanese grocery store near us here in Brisbane sells that exact brand. I love them too. :D

JA2340

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2004
Tamworth
Oh my God!
They’ve set up a crepe van next to Elvis Kebabs in Hirafu this season. 2 nights in a row it’s been a drunken Strawberry and Cream Crepe on the way home from the pub....
Must. Stop. That. Behaviour.
When you get home will be soon enough! ;)

Reactions: LMB

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
It's no use posting something that the average reader can't read, unless you tell them what it is!!! :p

This is called a "Kairo" or Cairo, which is a Japanese heat pack. Or in this case, it says "Ho-Kairo", which I think is the sticky version that sticks to your clothes. It also has a warning not to stick it directly to your skin.
Kairo: カイロ
Ho-Kairo: ホ カイロ

Here are some other Ho-Kairo:
KairoTypes.png

And the regular non sticky versions:
17-41663.jpeg

Reactions: SuskiQ and Ramenman

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It's no use posting something that the average reader can't read, unless you tell them what it is!!! :p

This is called a "Kairo" or Cairo, which is a Japanese heat pack. Or in this case, it says "Ho-Kairo", which I think is the sticky version that sticks to your clothes. It also has a warning not to stick it directly to your skin.
Kairo: カイロ
Ho-Kairo: ホ カイロ

Here are some other Ho-Kairo:
KairoTypes.png

And the regular non sticky versions:
17-41663.jpeg

Gomen nasai + Arigatou gozaimasu, it was at 2am, so I was too sleepy to add details:p

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
FYI those heat packs are way hotter than Aussie ones, and come in various temperatures!

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Yes to the rectangular onigiri. But; I can never seem to leave without a pack of Meiji chocolate coated almonds. Yum.

Steer clear of the bean doughnuts.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass