1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Konbini chatter

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Crispy013, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

創味シャンタン(Soumi Shantan) , the magical seasoning:thumbs:. As you can see in the pic below, it's Amazon Japan's choice and it's nearly 5 stars, very popular seasoning because it makes a lot of foods more delicious easily. You can buy it at Konbinis too. If you are interested in cooking Japanese & Chinese foods at home, I highly recommend it. I use it to make my original ramen at home too;)

2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Lol!
    It truly was.
    PB and I had been away for a few days at Tokachidake, driving back we called the boys and asked if they wanted anything - it was their request.

Edit: I did however partake. Curiosity and laziness to source an alternate.

3. d15812

d15812 Guest

Ahh, Shantung seasoning (Westernised pronunciation)

Raw materials / salt, dextrin, animal and vegetable fats and oils, sugar, meat extract, wheat flour, spice, leek powder, vegetable extract, protein hydrolyzate, yeast extract, seasoning (amino acid etc.), fragrance, acidulant, Including milk ingredients)

"Soumi" means Finland in Finnish (Like Nihon/Nippon in Japanese) - I'm sure that this is completely unrelated to this seasoning product.

Ramenman likes this.
  4. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us

7-11 Scallop Butter and Soysauce Potato Chips. Best junk food ever.

Ramenman likes this.
  5. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

"Suomi"

Ramenman likes this.
  6. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

This one?
    [​IMG]

Laska Goralska likes this.
  7. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us

That's the one, FTW.

Ramenman likes this.
  8. d15812

d15812 Guest

indeed, oops. :oops:

Ramenman likes this.
  9. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

7/11's new ice creams and I like them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

fennekeg and Melskius like this.
  10. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I don't recommend "NewDays". Konbinis put importance on Onigiri(rice ball) to differentiate themselves from the other Konbinis. They start selling new Onigiris every month to keep attracting customers. Konbinis that have good Onigiris are good Konbinis. I've been avoiding NewDays, but yesterday, I dropped in at NewDays and bought two Onigiris, and they were nowhere near Onigiris of 7/11, Lawson and Familymart.

NewDays is a subsidiary of JR Group, so NewDays are located at the best spots of JR stations, so you tend to drop in at NewDays. They are given the best locations by JR, so they can survive, not for their quality. I try to avoid Seicomart too, but sometimes difficult in Hokkaido because Seicomart is too dominant in Hokkaido:p
    [​IMG]

11. LMB

Hmmmm, I reckon the conbini at the train station at PyeongChang was a NewDays. Not that I took any notice but it was a shitty conbini and that photo reminds me so much of it for some reason.

Ramenman likes this.
  12. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

That conbini in PyeongChang had a terrible terrible selection. Probably the worst one i visited in South Korea!!
    Speaking of shit conbinis at stations. Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto was terrible when i arrived last year!

Newdays arent my favorite (im a 7/11 man!) but they often have those onigiri sandwichs with a chickenkatsu, they go down alright.

Ramenman and LMB like this.
  13. shepski

shepski Addicted

Chocolate, raspberry, more chocolate then icecream in the middle. Limited edition, found these in some Tokyo Family Mart's and I think a 7-eleven. I've gone so far as to email the Australian distributor to see if they're bringing them out over here as I'm suffering withdrawals.
    Edit - also found them at the Yamakazi konbini in Akakura Onsen.

14. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

All I can say is that I walked into a 7-11 back home in Sydney the other day and I wept.

15. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I like it very much:thumbs:!.

Most ice creams at Konbinis are between 100 Yen and 160 Yen but Häagen-Dazs is about 300 Yen, so I need an excuse when I choose a 300 Yen ice cream like "I did something good today, so I can choose a 300 Yen ice cream today":p.

Häagen-Dazs is originally an American company but Häagen-Dazs Japan (Japanese company Suntory jointly own Häagen-Dazs Japan) is a very different thing just like 7-Eleven USA and 7-Eleven Japan are two different things now, Nestle (KitKat is from Nestle) is originally a Swiss company but Nestle Japan sell a lot different KitKats in Japan, etc.

fennekeg likes this.
  16. LMB

Anyone missing Meltykiss?

One of my boys is Keto and I whipped up a Keto Fudge for him as an alternative fat bomb for a change. Chefs privaleges of course means you get to lick the spoon/bowl. The flavour/texture was so familiar, and yum.... took me until I was driving around town today for the penny to drop. Tastes very very similar to Meltykiss!

Ramenman likes this.